    AntiSpamBloke
    'From' address is a spamtrap.
    Direct email: asb-at-emailssl.com.
    AntiSpamBloke, Sep 17, 2007

  2. AntiSpamBloke

    Brian A Guest

    On Mon, 17 Sep 2007 21:28:24 +0100, "AntiSpamBloke"
    <> wrote:

    >Which one is the most commonly used?
    >
    >Many thanks

    I have never heard of e164.org I would think.

    ---
    Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.

    Get your friends to sign too!
    TV.
    ---
    Brian A, Sep 17, 2007

  3. AntiSpamBloke

    Chris Hills Guest

    AntiSpamBloke wrote:
    > Which one is the most commonly used?
    >
    > Many thanks

    Hi

    e164.arpa is the official tree, but I think there are more entries in
    e164.org (a non-profit organization). e164.org should by no means be
    considered authoritative, but it does have quite a lot of records that
    may be useful.

    Regards

    Chris
    Chris Hills, Sep 18, 2007
  4. AntiSpamBloke

    Paul Cupis Guest

    Chris Hills wrote:
    > AntiSpamBloke wrote:
    >> Which one is the most commonly used?

    > e164.arpa is the official tree, but I think there are more entries in
    > e164.org (a non-profit organization). e164.org should by no means be
    > considered authoritative, but it does have quite a lot of records that
    > may be useful.

    For a lot of zone, e164.arpa won't yet be operational. For example the
    UK AFAIK. My suggestion would be to use e164.arpa if there is an entry
    and then try e164.org if there isn't.
    Paul Cupis, Sep 18, 2007
  5. AntiSpamBloke

    Brian A Guest

    On Mon, 17 Sep 2007 21:23:17 GMT, Brian A
    <> wrote:

    >On Mon, 17 Sep 2007 21:28:24 +0100, "AntiSpamBloke"
    ><> wrote:
    >
    >>Which one is the most commonly used?
    >>
    >>Many thanks

    >I have never heard of e164.org I would think.

    Sorry for the garbled post...don't know how the first part of the
    sentence got in. Was supposed top read
    "e164.org I would think."
    but I think that others have answered the question more authoritively.
    I only use e164.org

    ---

    Brian A, Sep 18, 2007
  6. AntiSpamBloke

    Roger Mills Guest

    Paul Cupis <> wrote:

    > Chris Hills wrote:
    >> AntiSpamBloke wrote:
    >>> Which one is the most commonly used?

    >> e164.arpa is the official tree, but I think there are more entries in
    >> e164.org (a non-profit organization). e164.org should by no means be
    >> considered authoritative, but it does have quite a lot of records
    >> that may be useful.

    > For a lot of zone, e164.arpa won't yet be operational. For example the
    > UK AFAIK. My suggestion would be to use e164.arpa if there is an entry
    > and then try e164.org if there isn't.

    As a relative newby to things VoIP, I'm still trying to get a handle on what
    e164 is and does.

    Anyone care to enlighten me?
    --
    Cheers,
    Roger
    Roger Mills, Sep 19, 2007
  7. AntiSpamBloke

    Andy Burns Guest

    On 19/09/2007 16:46, Roger Mills wrote:

    > As a relative newby to things VoIP, I'm still trying to get a handle on what
    > e164 is and does.
    >
    > Anyone care to enlighten me?

    In essence, it's a system to look up another person's phone number and
    check if there is a way to make a direct voip call instead of paying for
    the call over the pstn.
    Andy Burns, Sep 19, 2007
  8. AntiSpamBloke

    Roger Mills Guest

    Andy Burns <> wrote:

    > On 19/09/2007 16:46, Roger Mills wrote:
    >
    >> As a relative newby to things VoIP, I'm still trying to get a handle
    >> on what e164 is and does.
    >>
    >> Anyone care to enlighten me?

    > In essence, it's a system to look up another person's phone number and
    > check if there is a way to make a direct voip call instead of paying
    > for the call over the pstn.

    Ta! So do you have the know the number to start with, and it simply finds
    the corresponding SIP address, if there is one? Or can you also search on
    name to find the number - like Directory Enquiries?

    Does it only know about numbers which have been explicitly registered with
    it?
    --
    Cheers,
    Roger
    Roger Mills, Sep 19, 2007
  9. AntiSpamBloke

    Andy Burns Guest

    On 19/09/2007 22:11, Roger Mills wrote:

    > Ta! So do you have the know the number to start with, and it simply finds
    > the corresponding SIP address, if there is one?

    that's the main perpose of ENUM in general

    > Or can you also search on
    > name to find the number - like Directory Enquiries?

    e164.org does have a white pages, but e164.arpa doesn't it's a pure DNS
    lookup

    > Does it only know about numbers which have been explicitly registered with
    > it?

    e164.org, yes you have to register numbers with it, which involves
    answering a call to that pstn number first to receive a pin number.
    Andy Burns, Sep 19, 2007
  10. AntiSpamBloke

    Paul Hayes Guest

    Roger Mills wrote:
    > In an earlier contribution to this discussion,
    > Andy Burns <> wrote:
    >
    >> On 19/09/2007 16:46, Roger Mills wrote:
    >>
    >>> As a relative newby to things VoIP, I'm still trying to get a handle
    >>> on what e164 is and does.
    >>>
    >>> Anyone care to enlighten me?

    >> In essence, it's a system to look up another person's phone number and
    >> check if there is a way to make a direct voip call instead of paying
    >> for the call over the pstn.

    > Ta! So do you have the know the number to start with, and it simply finds
    > the corresponding SIP address, if there is one? Or can you also search on
    > name to find the number - like Directory Enquiries?
    >
    > Does it only know about numbers which have been explicitly registered with
    > it?

    It's not intended to be a "directory enquires" type service, it's so
    that when you dial a number on a VoIP phone, the phone or PBX will try
    an ENUM lookup to see if it can connect the call directly using a SIP
    address rather than sending the call out onto the PSTN (where a charge
    is normally incurred).

    cheers,
    Paul.

    --
    Working Email:

    paul-at-polog40-dot-co-dot-uk
    Paul Hayes, Sep 20, 2007
  11. AntiSpamBloke

    News Reader Guest

    "AntiSpamBloke" <> wrote in message
    > Which one is the most commonly used?
    >
    > Many thanks
    >
    > --
    > AntiSpamBloke
    > 'From' address is a spamtrap.
    > Direct email: asb-at-emailssl.com.

    Hi,

    Someone was asking about how entries arrive at the various e164
    registrars...

    .... some ITSP's (VoIP providers), have and do bulk upload(ed) their entire
    register by default, hence all customers of such ITSP's should automatically
    have an e164 entry. The vast majority however arrive by user submission
    (both commercial, residential, etc.) (I understand).

    Best wishes,

    News Reader
    News Reader, Sep 21, 2007