e Trust AV

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Paul - xxx, Aug 9, 2003.

  1. Paul - xxx

    Paul - xxx Guest

    Hiya,

    XP home running on Athlon 1.4 laptop and Win Me / XP Pro dual-boot running
    on Athlon 1.4 desktop computers, both running 256 ram, 40 g hd's with all MS
    updates so far.

    Small problem with e Trust AV program Product version 7.0.139, last
    signature version updated 08/08/2003, and all appears well, with 'test'
    viruses being caught and all systems working as they should except for the
    'Auto - Update' feature.

    I don't like to auto-update any of my updates, whether it be AV, OS or other
    updated files. In e Trust although I have the auto update feature
    unchecked, the program still tries to auto download very regularly, too
    regularly .. ;) This is generally blocked by Zone Alarm, but is really a
    bit of a pain. I'm on dial-up and on both computers the auto update screen,
    despite having the auto update feature UN checked, the autoupdate date and
    time keeps incrementing and attempting to update every two minutes. This is
    annoying, but is also tieing the telephone line up needlessly.

    I have re-installed and re-configured the software just in case. I've
    checked it on my sons computers and all exhibit the same 'feature' .. auto
    update, despite being 'turned off' still auto updates.

    I can find no help for this in the help files or on the ca site. Everything
    is geared to automation with nothing relating (that I can find) to NOT
    auto-updating.

    Anyone any ideas ?

    --
    .............................Paul - xxx
    http://www.tvlicensing.biz/
    Paul - xxx, Aug 9, 2003

  2. Paul - xxx

    °Mike° Guest

    In the Autodownload options dialog there is a 'Schedule Options'.
    Have you got it set to "I will remember to download the virus
    updates myself"? I'm running version 6.1.7.0, btw.

    On Sat, 9 Aug 2003 08:10:02 +0100, in
    <bh26p6$u1eod$-berlin.de>
    Paul - xxx scrawled:

    --
    Basic computer maintenance
    °Mike°, Aug 9, 2003

  3. Paul - xxx

    Paul - xxx Guest

    No .. that dialog isn't available ..

    I do have a workaround, I set it to autodownload at 1 month intervals .. but
    we still get the possibility that when the two computers, which are
    connected to the same telephone line, want to download simultaneously, they
    'interact' with each other and can tie up the line for hours at a time,
    simply 'cos one computer connects, another tries to which knocks the first
    one off, which then tries to connect thus knocking the second off etc etc ..
    It's just happened last night / this am which is what got me annoyed at it
    ... a bit of a pain, but I _can_ limit it to once a month I guess.

    In fact just typing this I now seem to recall I had that dialog box
    'before', but I guess I updated the AV program file when I got this newer
    laptop and that's what's missing I reckon .. ;)

    Cheers, Mike, it's appreciated .. ;)

    °Mike° tried to scribble ...

    Paul - xxx, Aug 9, 2003
  4. Paul - xxx

    Brian H¹© Guest

    Paul - xxx said:

    > No .. that dialog isn't available ..
    >
    > I do have a workaround, I set it to autodownload at 1 month intervals .. but
    > we still get the possibility that when the two computers, which are
    > connected to the same telephone line, want to download simultaneously, they
    > 'interact' with each other and can tie up the line for hours at a time,
    > simply 'cos one computer connects, another tries to which knocks the first
    > one off, which then tries to connect thus knocking the second off etc etc ..

    Under | Signature Update Options | Outgoing, is the box ticked for "This
    machine will provide signature updates......" ?
    That may explain the to/fro between the pc's.

    Brian H¹©, Aug 9, 2003
  5. Paul - xxx

    Paul - xxx Guest

    Brian H¹© tried to scribble ...

    > Paul - xxx said:
    >
    >> No .. that dialog isn't available ..
    >>
    >> I do have a workaround, I set it to autodownload at 1 month
    >> intervals .. but we still get the possibility that when the two
    >> computers, which are connected to the same telephone line, want to
    >> download simultaneously, they 'interact' with each other and can tie
    >> up the line for hours at a time, simply 'cos one computer connects,
    >> another tries to which knocks the first one off, which then tries to
    >> connect thus knocking the second off etc etc ..

    > Under | Signature Update Options | Outgoing, is the box ticked for
    > "This machine will provide signature updates......" ?
    > That may explain the to/fro between the pc's.

    No, they aren't networked. They both sit independantly at the moment, but
    connect through a double phone adaptor to the same telephone line. Either
    one dials out OK, but if the other one also tries to dial out it knocks off
    the first connection, so neither are then connected. It then seems to
    develop into a free for all but neither connect for long, so both are
    effectively 'fighting for the line and tieing it up for ages .. I know it's
    not an ideal situation, but we're moving house again soon we hope, and when
    we do we're getting them all networked and onto broadband .. should be fun
    ... ;)

    Paul - xxx, Aug 9, 2003
  6. Paul - xxx Spilled my beer when they jumped on the table and
    proclaimed in <bh26p6$u1eod$-berlin.de>:

    > Hiya,
    >
    > XP home running on Athlon 1.4 laptop and Win Me / XP Pro dual-boot
    > running on Athlon 1.4 desktop computers, both running 256 ram, 40 g
    > hd's with all MS updates so far.
    >
    > Small problem with e Trust AV program Product version 7.0.139, last
    > signature version updated 08/08/2003, and all appears well, with
    > 'test' viruses being caught and all systems working as they should
    > except for the 'Auto - Update' feature.
    >
    > I don't like to auto-update any of my updates, whether it be AV, OS
    > or other
    > updated files. In e Trust although I have the auto update feature
    > unchecked, the program still tries to auto download very regularly,
    > too
    > regularly .. ;) This is generally blocked by Zone Alarm, but is
    > really a
    > bit of a pain. I'm on dial-up and on both computers the auto update
    > screen, despite having the auto update feature UN checked, the
    > autoupdate date and
    > time keeps incrementing and attempting to update every two minutes.
    > This is annoying, but is also tieing the telephone line up
    > needlessly.
    >
    > I have re-installed and re-configured the software just in case.
    > I've checked it on my sons computers and all exhibit the same
    > 'feature' .. auto update, despite being 'turned off' still auto
    > updates.
    >
    > I can find no help for this in the help files or on the ca site.
    > Everything is geared to automation with nothing relating (that I can
    > find) to NOT auto-updating.
    >
    > Anyone any ideas ?

    Paul, the autoupdate runs as a service. Make sure that service is
    set to 'manual' or 'disabled'.

    NOI
    Thund3rstruck, Aug 9, 2003
  7. Paul - xxx

    °Mike° Guest

    Ok, Paul. If v7 is that insistent, I don't think I'll upgrade. :)

    On Sat, 9 Aug 2003 09:16:59 +0100, in
    <bh2aml$t6aie$-berlin.de>
    Paul - xxx scrawled:

    --
    Basic computer maintenance
    °Mike°, Aug 9, 2003
  8. Paul - xxx

    Paul - xxx Guest

    Thund3rstruck tried to scribble ...

    > Paul - xxx Spilled my beer when they jumped on the table and
    > proclaimed in <bh26p6$u1eod$-berlin.de>:
    >
    >> Hiya,
    >>
    >> XP home running on Athlon 1.4 laptop and Win Me / XP Pro dual-boot
    >> running on Athlon 1.4 desktop computers, both running 256 ram, 40 g
    >> hd's with all MS updates so far.
    >>
    >> Small problem with e Trust AV program Product version 7.0.139, last
    >> signature version updated 08/08/2003, and all appears well, with
    >> 'test' viruses being caught and all systems working as they should
    >> except for the 'Auto - Update' feature.
    >>
    >> I don't like to auto-update any of my updates, whether it be AV, OS
    >> or other
    >> updated files. In e Trust although I have the auto update feature
    >> unchecked, the program still tries to auto download very regularly,
    >> too
    >> regularly .. ;) This is generally blocked by Zone Alarm, but is
    >> really a
    >> bit of a pain. I'm on dial-up and on both computers the auto update
    >> screen, despite having the auto update feature UN checked, the
    >> autoupdate date and
    >> time keeps incrementing and attempting to update every two minutes.
    >> This is annoying, but is also tieing the telephone line up
    >> needlessly.
    >>
    >> I have re-installed and re-configured the software just in case.
    >> I've checked it on my sons computers and all exhibit the same
    >> 'feature' .. auto update, despite being 'turned off' still auto
    >> updates.
    >>
    >> I can find no help for this in the help files or on the ca site.
    >> Everything is geared to automation with nothing relating (that I can
    >> find) to NOT auto-updating.
    >>
    >> Anyone any ideas ?
    >>

    > Paul, the autoupdate runs as a service. Make sure that service is
    > set to 'manual' or 'disabled'.
    >
    > NOI

    Heheheh .. I'll try that .. excellent.

    There are three e Trust antivirus services,

    eTrust Antivirus Job Server which is (my guess) the scheduled service,

    eTrust Antivirus Realtime Server which I guess is the Realtime monitor,

    eTrust Antivirus RPC Server which I don't have a clue about,

    so I'm gonna disable each one in turn and see what happens - I'll post back
    and let others know what happens, but as I'll be re-booting and such like it
    may not be for a while .. ;).

    Great pointer Thund3rstruck, many thanks. ;)

    Paul - xxx, Aug 9, 2003
  9. Paul - xxx

    Brian H¹© Guest

    Paul - xxx said:

    > Thund3rstruck tried to scribble ...
    >
    >> Paul - xxx Spilled my beer when they jumped on the table and
    >> proclaimed in <bh26p6$u1eod$-berlin.de>:
    >>
    >>> Hiya,
    >>>
    >>> XP home running on Athlon 1.4 laptop and Win Me / XP Pro dual-boot
    >>> running on Athlon 1.4 desktop computers, both running 256 ram, 40 g
    >>> hd's with all MS updates so far.
    >>>
    >>> Small problem with e Trust AV program Product version 7.0.139, last
    >>> signature version updated 08/08/2003, and all appears well, with
    >>> 'test' viruses being caught and all systems working as they should
    >>> except for the 'Auto - Update' feature.
    >>>
    >>> I don't like to auto-update any of my updates, whether it be AV, OS
    >>> or other
    >>> updated files. In e Trust although I have the auto update feature
    >>> unchecked, the program still tries to auto download very regularly,
    >>> too
    >>> regularly .. ;) This is generally blocked by Zone Alarm, but is
    >>> really a
    >>> bit of a pain. I'm on dial-up and on both computers the auto update
    >>> screen, despite having the auto update feature UN checked, the
    >>> autoupdate date and
    >>> time keeps incrementing and attempting to update every two minutes.
    >>> This is annoying, but is also tieing the telephone line up
    >>> needlessly.
    >>>
    >>> I have re-installed and re-configured the software just in case.
    >>> I've checked it on my sons computers and all exhibit the same
    >>> 'feature' .. auto update, despite being 'turned off' still auto
    >>> updates.
    >>>
    >>> I can find no help for this in the help files or on the ca site.
    >>> Everything is geared to automation with nothing relating (that I can
    >>> find) to NOT auto-updating.
    >>>
    >>> Anyone any ideas ?
    >>>

    >> Paul, the autoupdate runs as a service. Make sure that service is
    >> set to 'manual' or 'disabled'.
    >>
    >> NOI

    > Heheheh .. I'll try that .. excellent.
    >
    > There are three e Trust antivirus services,
    >
    > eTrust Antivirus Job Server which is (my guess) the scheduled service,
    >
    > eTrust Antivirus Realtime Server which I guess is the Realtime monitor,
    >
    > eTrust Antivirus RPC Server which I don't have a clue about,

    This is the only one I have set to manual.

    Brian H¹©, Aug 9, 2003
  10. Paul - xxx

    Paul - xxx Guest

    Brian H¹© tried to scribble ...

    > Paul - xxx said:
    >
    >> Thund3rstruck tried to scribble ...
    >>
    >>> Paul - xxx Spilled my beer when they jumped on the table and

    >>> Paul, the autoupdate runs as a service. Make sure that service is
    >>> set to 'manual' or 'disabled'.
    >>>
    >>> NOI

    >> Heheheh .. I'll try that .. excellent.
    >>
    >> There are three e Trust antivirus services,
    >>
    >> eTrust Antivirus Job Server which is (my guess) the scheduled
    >> service,
    >>
    >> eTrust Antivirus Realtime Server which I guess is the Realtime
    >> monitor,
    >>
    >> eTrust Antivirus RPC Server which I don't have a clue about,

    > This is the only one I have set to manual.

    Are the other two disabled then, or automatic ?

    Paul - xxx, Aug 9, 2003
  11. Brian H¹© Spilled my beer when they jumped on the table and
    proclaimed in <q45Za.8469$>:

    > Paul - xxx said:
    >
    >> Brian H¹© tried to scribble ...

    >>> Paul - xxx said:

    > (snip)

    Yes. It's the one that runs when the scheduled job is running, plus
    it's the main engine, IIRC.

    Yup. That's the ehartbeat icon next to the clock.

    >>> This is the only one I have set to manual.

    >> Are the other two disabled then, or automatic ?

    > I've left them as Auto.

    That's the E-trust equivalent of MS's RPC service. <G> It handles
    getting updates from an udate server and CA's FTP site.

    The guy onsite today is the Etrust guy. he called to ask a
    question. I bet he regrets it now. <G>

    NOI
    Thund3rstruck, Aug 9, 2003
  12. Paul - xxx

    Paul - xxx Guest

    Brian H¹© tried to scribble ...

    > Paul - xxx said:
    >
    >> Brian H¹© tried to scribble ...

    >>> Paul - xxx said:

    > (snip)

    >>> This is the only one I have set to manual.

    >> Are the other two disabled then, or automatic ?

    > I've left them as Auto.

    Heheheh .. that setup seems to have done the trick .. I'll leave both
    computers in this configuration and let them 'fight it out' and see what
    happens .. But it's looking good so far .. ;)

    Paul - xxx, Aug 9, 2003
  13. Paul - xxx

    Brian H¹© Guest

    Paul - xxx said:

    > Brian H¹© tried to scribble ...

    >> Paul - xxx said:
    >>
    >>> Brian H¹© tried to scribble ...

    >> (snip)

    >>> Are the other two disabled then, or automatic ?

    >> I've left them as Auto.

    > Heheheh .. that setup seems to have done the trick .. I'll leave both
    > computers in this configuration and let them 'fight it out' and see what
    > happens .. But it's looking good so far .. ;)

    :)
    Brian H¹©, Aug 9, 2003
  14. Paul - xxx

    Mara Guest

    On Sat, 09 Aug 2003 11:34:27 +0100, °Mike° wrote:

    >Ok, Paul. If v7 is that insistent, I don't think I'll upgrade. :)

    I've been running it awhile without any problems. (Server edition.) What I did
    was set the Services to manual and made shortcuts to the programs. Now, when I
    want to update, I just fire up the Job service and the programs and do it
    myself.

    "No worries. :)"

    --
    There is no order to the universe, and no reason, and no cause.
    We are alone and outnumbered, and the universe is a far more
    Mara, Aug 9, 2003
  15. Paul - xxx

    °Mike° Guest

    What has put me off upgrading is the size of the damn thing
    compared to v6!

    On Sat, 09 Aug 2003 08:58:57 -0500, in
    <>
    Mara scrawled:

    --
    Basic computer maintenance
    °Mike°, Aug 9, 2003
  16. Paul - xxx

    Mara Guest

    On Sat, 09 Aug 2003 15:17:03 +0100, °Mike° wrote:

    >What has put me off upgrading is the size of the damn thing
    >compared to v6!

    It's big, but it's found everything I've thrown at it so far. Of course I'm
    running it in Reviewer mode, too.

    >On Sat, 09 Aug 2003 08:58:57 -0500, in
    > <>
    > Mara scrawled:
    >
    >>On Sat, 09 Aug 2003 11:34:27 +0100, °Mike° wrote:
    >>
    >>>Ok, Paul. If v7 is that insistent, I don't think I'll upgrade. :)

    >>I've been running it awhile without any problems. (Server edition.) What I did
    >>was set the Services to manual and made shortcuts to the programs. Now, when I
    >>want to update, I just fire up the Job service and the programs and do it
    >>myself.
    >>
    >>"No worries. :)"

    <snip>

    Mara, Aug 9, 2003
  17. Paul - xxx

    °Mike° Guest

    My fear is that it's going the path of Norton/McAfee. I won't
    have bloatware on my system, if I can at all help it. I know
    for a fact that I could run this system without a virus scanner
    if I wanted to, and be virtually just as safe. Other people
    get viruses all of the time. When I want one (for testing),
    I have to go hunting/begging for them... :)

    "It's nice to have a security blanket, though."

    On Sat, 09 Aug 2003 09:36:50 -0500, in
    <>
    Mara scrawled:

    --
    Basic computer maintenance
    °Mike°, Aug 9, 2003
  18. Paul - xxx

    Mara Guest

    On Sat, 09 Aug 2003 15:54:18 +0100, °Mike° wrote:

    >My fear is that it's going the path of Norton/McAfee. I won't
    >have bloatware on my system, if I can at all help it. I know
    >for a fact that I could run this system without a virus scanner
    >if I wanted to, and be virtually just as safe. Other people
    >get viruses all of the time. When I want one (for testing),
    >I have to go hunting/begging for them... :)

    Yeah, it's the shits, ain't it? LOL

    >"It's nice to have a security blanket, though."

    Yes.

    "Or two, or three."

    <snip>

    Mara, Aug 9, 2003