    I have a CD burner but they only hold 680 to 780 MB or 1/3 of my required
    capacity. TIA for any advice.

    , Jun 9, 2004

  2. Thor Guest

    For one thing a 2.2GB AVI file is not going to compress to any appreciable
    degree in Winzip or any other compression archiving program available. And,
    the file is simply too huge to be emailed. You wouldn't likely have gotten
    it through to her even if Winzip had successfully archived it. The vast
    majority of ISPs wouldn't allow something that large through their email
    system. Either split the file into smaller CD size-friendly clips with a
    video editing program, or burn it to a DVD (which can hold 4.7GB). Of course
    your daughter would need a DVD drive to access it.

    Thor, Jun 9, 2004

  3. S.Heenan Guest

    coria1 wrote:
    > I have a 2.2 GB .avi file tha I want to e-mail to my daughter. I
    > tried to use Winzip to compress it but at 82 percent of completion an
    > error window opened that siad something about file to large for
    > temporaru folder space and halted the process. I ma open to any
    > suggestions on how to accomplish my task of gettting this file to
    > her. I am running Win 2K with an 850 Mhz P III and 512 MB of RAM.
    > I have a CD burner but they only hold 680 to 780 MB or 1/3 of my
    > required capacity. TIA for any advice.

    Have your daughter be online at a predetermined day and time. Transfer the
    file using Windows Messenger, AOL Messenger, or similar. You can split it
    into smaller bits using a video editing application.

    S.Heenan, Jun 9, 2004
  4. Lloyd Jones Guest

    I thought there was a maximum file size when transferring files with msn.

    LJ

    Lloyd Jones, Jun 9, 2004
  5. Global_Killa Guest

    "S.Heenan" <> wrote in message
    > coria1 wrote:
    > > I have a 2.2 GB .avi file tha I want to e-mail to my daughter. I
    > > tried to use Winzip to compress it but at 82 percent of completion an
    > > error window opened that siad something about file to large for
    > > temporaru folder space and halted the process. I ma open to any
    > > suggestions on how to accomplish my task of gettting this file to
    > > her. I am running Win 2K with an 850 Mhz P III and 512 MB of RAM.
    > > I have a CD burner but they only hold 680 to 780 MB or 1/3 of my
    > > required capacity. TIA for any advice.

    > Have your daughter be online at a predetermined day and time. Transfer the
    > file using Windows Messenger, AOL Messenger, or similar. You can split it
    > into smaller bits using a video editing application.

    I find MSN to transfer very slow. I would recommend setting up a FTP server
    and let her download it that way.

    Could take a long time, depending on both your connection speeds. Find a
    program that can split files and rejoin them. This way she will only have to
    download smaller files, and can do it on different days. Once all the files
    have been downloaded, she can join them back together.

    --
    Global_Killa

    http://punkthenation.tk

    Global_Killa, Jun 9, 2004
  6. Plato Guest

    Lloyd Jones wrote:

    > I thought there was a maximum file size when transferring files with msn.

    Often proprietary ISPs like MSN impose individual file size limits.
    Standard ISPs usually dont.

    --
    http://www.bootdisk.com/

    Plato, Jun 9, 2004
  7. DeMoN LaG Guest

    > I have a 2.2 GB .avi file tha I want to e-mail to my daughter. I

    You can not email a file that large. Aside from taking many hours to send
    (and even longer to receive) I know of no mail server setup with any ISP
    that will let you email a 500 meg file, much less a 2 gig file. What you
    want to do is burn it to a DVD or multiple CDs (after breaking it into
    smaller pieces) and snail mail it to her.

    --
    website: http://www.demonlag.com
    AIM: FrznFoodClerk

    DeMoN LaG, Jun 9, 2004
  8. Jerry G. Guest

    I would get a DVD burner, and put this file on to a DVD disk. Your daughter
    will have to install a DVD drive to read it. If your machines have USB 2,
    you can get a USB DVD writer and mail it with the disk. The writer would be
    plug and play. You plug the writer in to the USB port, and then load the
    drivers for it. Then it should work for you.

    The other way, is to use a backup utility software that can put it on to CDR
    disks as a backup file. The backup program will split it in to a sequence of
    disks, as if it was backing up a hard drive. You can then mail the disks
    through conventional mail. She will need a copy of the backup and restore
    software that you used so that she can restore the contents of the disks to
    her hard disk.

    A more complicated way, is to install a second hard disk on your machine.
    Save the file to the hard disk and then uninstall it. You can then ship the
    hard disk to her, and she can install it in to her machine to retrieve the
    file.

    Most ISP services would not let a user email a file size greater than about
    2 mb. Some are even not allowing more than 1 mb for an email file size.

    As for WinZip, I would think a file this size would be too large for what it
    can allocate for its stack space to handle this! I would not have even
    attempted to use WinZip for this. Your machine would also have to be able to
    cache this type of file for a direct write. I cannot answer if this is
    viable as well.

    I personally would go the USB 2 DVD route.

    --

    Jerry G.
    =====

    I have a 2.2 GB .avi file tha I want to e-mail to my daughter. I tried to
    use Winzip to compress it but at 82 percent of completion an error window
    opened that siad something about file to large for temporaru folder space
    and halted the process. I ma open to any suggestions on how to accomplish
    my task of gettting this file to her. I am running Win 2K with an 850 Mhz P
    III and 512 MB of RAM.

    Jerry G., Jun 9, 2004

    www.divx.com

    --

    Quiet, Pinky; I'm pondering.
    _ _
    /~\\ \ //~\
    | \\ \ // |
    [ || || ]
    ] Y || || Y [
    | \_|l,------.l|_/ |
    | >' `< |
    \ (/~`--____--'~\) /
    `-_>-__________-<_-'
    /(_#(__)#_)\
    \___/__\___/
    /__`--'__\
    /\(__,>-~~ __)
    /\//\\( `--~~ )
    '\/ <^\ /^>
    _\ >-__-< /_
    (___\ /___)

    Weyoun the Dancing Borg, Jun 9, 2004
  10. Global_Killa wrote:

    > I find MSN to transfer very slow. I would recommend setting up a FTP server
    > and let her download it that way.

    assuming the receiver has at least the same download speed as your
    upload speed, and neither are doing anything else, there should be
    little difference.

    --

    Quiet, Pinky; I'm pondering.
    _ _
    /~\\ \ //~\
    | \\ \ // |
    [ || || ]
    ] Y || || Y [
    | \_|l,------.l|_/ |
    | >' `< |
    \ (/~`--____--'~\) /
    `-_>-__________-<_-'
    /(_#(__)#_)\
    \___/__\___/
    /__`--'__\
    /\(__,>-~~ __)
    /\//\\( `--~~ )
    '\/ <^\ /^>
    _\ >-__-< /_
    (___\ /___)

    Weyoun the Dancing Borg, Jun 9, 2004
  11. Guest

    > I have a 2.2 GB .avi file tha I want to e-mail to my daughter. I tried to
    > use Winzip to compress it but at 82 percent of completion an error window
    > opened that siad something about file to large for temporaru folder space
    > and halted the process. I ma open to any suggestions on how to accomplish
    > my task of gettting this file to her. I am running Win 2K with an 850 Mhz

    > III and 512 MB of RAM.
    > I have a CD burner but they only hold 680 to 780 MB or 1/3 of my required
    > capacity. TIA for any advice.

    Just to let you all know after a little difficulty in selecting the right
    format for the DVD disk (UDF instead of ISO) I successfully copied the
    entire .avi file. thank you all.

    , Jun 10, 2004
  12. bearman Guest

    > "" <coria1atexecpc.com> wrote in message
    > > I have a 2.2 GB .avi file tha I want to e-mail to my daughter. I tried

    > > use Winzip to compress it but at 82 percent of completion an error

    window
    > > opened that siad something about file to large for temporaru folder

    space
    > > and halted the process. I ma open to any suggestions on how to

    accomplish
    > > my task of gettting this file to her. I am running Win 2K with an 850

    Mhz
    > > III and 512 MB of RAM.
    > > I have a CD burner but they only hold 680 to 780 MB or 1/3 of my

    required
    > > capacity. TIA for any advice.
    > >

    > Just to let you all know after a little difficulty in selecting the right
    > format for the DVD disk (UDF instead of ISO) I successfully copied the
    > entire .avi file. thank you all.

    Thank you for updating us.

    Bearman

    bearman, Jun 10, 2004
  13. DeMoN LaG wrote:
    > You can not email a file that large. Aside from taking many hours to send
    > (and even longer to receive)<snip>

    Isn't that backwards? IIRC isn't it the outgoing speed that's lower on
    asynchronous connections? Of course it's possible that the parties use
    different connections, e.g. sender has DSL and receiver has dialup, but
    I didn't see that mentioned & you seem to state this as if it's a
    general rule. Am I missing something?

    Calvin Crumrine, Jun 15, 2004
  14. DeMoN LaG Guest

    Calvin Crumrine <> wrote in news:10cues5p041bo65
    @corp.supernews.com:

    > different connections, e.g. sender has DSL and receiver has dialup, but
    > I didn't see that mentioned & you seem to state this as if it's a
    > general rule. Am I missing something?

    It was an assumption. In the case of both having cable or dialup, it would
    be quicker to receive. I just didn't read it like that was the case, else
    they could transfer it through some other means like AIM or MSN

    DeMoN LaG, Jun 15, 2004
  15. ProfGene Guest

    A DVD burner will burn 4 plus gigs of data and also you can burn them as
    video DVDs. She would need a DVD drive to read the data DVDs but the video
    can be played on a player. I don't know what your limit on attatchments is
    but with a DSL line I have sent attatchments of five megs. MIRC has a chat
    service where people tansfer large files. In any case to use any online
    transfer you should break them up either with a file splitter or into
    smaller video file. There are mpeg compressors which can compress files
    into mpeg 3 and 4 which is the best way to go rather than zipping. One such
    device is made by ADS which can be found online and will reduce the size
    quite significantly.

    ProfGene, Jun 17, 2004
  16. Stuart Guest

    wrote:

    > "" <coria1atexecpc.com> wrote in message
    >
    >>I have a 2.2 GB .avi file tha I want to e-mail to my daughter. I tried to
    >>use Winzip to compress it but at 82 percent of completion an error window
    >>opened that siad something about file to large for temporaru folder space
    >>and halted the process. I ma open to any suggestions on how to accomplish
    >>my task of gettting this file to her. I am running Win 2K with an 850 Mhz

    >>III and 512 MB of RAM.
    >>I have a CD burner but they only hold 680 to 780 MB or 1/3 of my required
    >>capacity. TIA for any advice.
    >>

    > Just to let you all know after a little difficulty in selecting the right
    > format for the DVD disk (UDF instead of ISO) I successfully copied the
    > entire .avi file. thank you all.

    What format is it encoded in, Mpeg1,2,4 or something else? You could try
    encoding the file using Mpeg4, DivX or Xvid which produce very high
    quality video at much smaller file sizes. A 2.2 GB file could be
    converted to a few hundred megabytes using one of those formats.

    Stuart

    Stuart, Jun 23, 2004