e-mails going to a black hole, or companies that don't reply e-mails

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Mauricio Freitas, Feb 7, 2004.

  1. It seems that Red Sheriff is no longer updating their NZ website. The weekly
    "Most Wanted" is from 14/Dec/03, and the company doesn't reply e-mails.

    I guess this is what happens when a company is sold (NetRatings bought it
    22/Dec/03). Actually not responding e-mails is what a lot of companies do
    anyway.

    For example, the BP Contact US webform sends the e-mails does not send an
    e-mail to anyone at BP NZ, but to the webmaster at their contractor Sytec.
    Of course anyone that use that form to ask BP for anything will *never*
    receive a reply. I tried a couple of times. Interesting the "you can use our
    convenient online form, and we'll email you back" statement. Of course the
    reply never comes.

    I can list quite a few companies that simply ignore e-mails, but the best
    case is the Australian operations of a supplier of wireless products. Sent
    an e-mail to them with return receipt. Got 32 delivery confirmations. Thirty
    and two people read the e-mail and didn't bother replying? Then a month
    later I sent the same e-mail again and got 35 return receipts. I only got a
    reply from the Australian operation when I sent a complain to the American
    corporation listing the 35 names of employees who read my e-mail and didn't
    reply. And even so the person said "Sorry we didn't reply, but we don't
    usually answer inquiries over the internet". So why bother putting an e-mail
    address on their contact us page?

    --
    Mauricio Freitas
    Performance Centre (Pocket PC reviews):
    Mauricio Freitas, Feb 7, 2004

  2. Mauricio Freitas

    Max Guest

    On Sat, 7 Feb 2004 18:59:00 +1300, "Mauricio Freitas"
    <> wrote:

    >It seems that Red Sheriff is no longer updating their NZ website. The weekly
    >"Most Wanted" is from 14/Dec/03, and the company doesn't reply e-mails.
    >
    >I guess this is what happens when a company is sold (NetRatings bought it
    >22/Dec/03). Actually not responding e-mails is what a lot of companies do
    >anyway.
    >
    >For example, the BP Contact US webform sends the e-mails does not send an
    >e-mail to anyone at BP NZ, but to the webmaster at their contractor Sytec.
    >Of course anyone that use that form to ask BP for anything will *never*
    >receive a reply. I tried a couple of times. Interesting the "you can use our
    >convenient online form, and we'll email you back" statement. Of course the
    >reply never comes.
    >
    >I can list quite a few companies that simply ignore e-mails, but the best
    >case is the Australian operations of a supplier of wireless products. Sent
    >an e-mail to them with return receipt. Got 32 delivery confirmations. Thirty
    >and two people read the e-mail and didn't bother replying? Then a month
    >later I sent the same e-mail again and got 35 return receipts. I only got a
    >reply from the Australian operation when I sent a complain to the American
    >corporation listing the 35 names of employees who read my e-mail and didn't
    >reply. And even so the person said "Sorry we didn't reply, but we don't
    >usually answer inquiries over the internet". So why bother putting an e-mail
    >address on their contact us page?

    Yes many larger companies list an email address, but never reply
    emails. Sony are another one, although after following up the email
    they did reply within 7 days (faster to use the post).
    Usually companies also have an 0800 number, so I phone using my mobile
    if they don't reply to emails, and I get a far more instant answer.
    Its a pity these large comapnies don't support email better as it
    could save them a lot of money if used correctly(am surprised their
    bean counters haven't recemmended it)
    Max, Feb 7, 2004

  3. In article <y8%Ub.21419$>, "Mauricio Freitas" <> wrote:
    >It seems that Red Sheriff is no longer updating their NZ website. The weekly
    >"Most Wanted" is from 14/Dec/03, and the company doesn't reply e-mails.
    >
    >I guess this is what happens when a company is sold (NetRatings bought it
    >22/Dec/03). Actually not responding e-mails is what a lot of companies do
    >anyway.
    >
    >For example, the BP Contact US webform sends the e-mails does not send an
    >e-mail to anyone at BP NZ, but to the webmaster at their contractor Sytec.
    >Of course anyone that use that form to ask BP for anything will *never*
    >receive a reply. I tried a couple of times. Interesting the "you can use our
    >convenient online form, and we'll email you back" statement. Of course the
    >reply never comes.

    Online forms are not email. Don't be fooled ... or think you will get
    a reply. If you do, it's a bonus :) :)

    Bruce

    Bruce Sinclair, Feb 9, 2004
  4. Mauricio Freitas

    pbs Guest

    Re: e-mails going to a black hole, or companies that don't replye-mails

    Bruce Sinclair wrote:

    > Online forms are not email. Don't be fooled ... or think you will get
    > a reply. If you do, it's a bonus :) :)

    Or a bounce :-(
    pbs, Feb 9, 2004
  5. "Bruce Sinclair" <> wrote in
    message news:sQDVb.21839$...

    <> wrote:
    > >It seems that Red Sheriff is no longer updating their NZ website. The

    weekly
    > >"Most Wanted" is from 14/Dec/03, and the company doesn't reply e-mails.
    > >
    > >I guess this is what happens when a company is sold (NetRatings bought it
    > >22/Dec/03). Actually not responding e-mails is what a lot of companies do
    > >anyway.
    > >
    > >For example, the BP Contact US webform sends the e-mails does not send an
    > >e-mail to anyone at BP NZ, but to the webmaster at their contractor

    Sytec.
    > >Of course anyone that use that form to ask BP for anything will *never*
    > >receive a reply. I tried a couple of times. Interesting the "you can use

    our
    > >convenient online form, and we'll email you back" statement. Of course

    the
    > >reply never comes.

    > Online forms are not email. Don't be fooled ... or think you will get
    > a reply. If you do, it's a bonus :) :)

    In the case BP the form is submited via a gateway and the e-mail address is
    in the form. My point is not specifically e-mail but any contact to a
    company.

    Mauricio Freitas, Feb 9, 2004
  6. In article <E8HVb.21876$>, "Mauricio Freitas" <> wrote:
    >"Bruce Sinclair" <> wrote in
    >message news:sQDVb.21839$...
    >> In article <y8%Ub.21419$>, "Mauricio Freitas"

    ><> wrote:
    >> >It seems that Red Sheriff is no longer updating their NZ website. The

    >weekly
    >> >"Most Wanted" is from 14/Dec/03, and the company doesn't reply e-mails.
    >> >
    >> >I guess this is what happens when a company is sold (NetRatings bought it
    >> >22/Dec/03). Actually not responding e-mails is what a lot of companies do
    >> >anyway.
    >> >
    >> >For example, the BP Contact US webform sends the e-mails does not send an
    >> >e-mail to anyone at BP NZ, but to the webmaster at their contractor

    >Sytec.
    >> >Of course anyone that use that form to ask BP for anything will *never*
    >> >receive a reply. I tried a couple of times. Interesting the "you can use

    >our
    >> >convenient online form, and we'll email you back" statement. Of course

    >the
    >> >reply never comes.

    >> Online forms are not email. Don't be fooled ... or think you will get
    >> a reply. If you do, it's a bonus :) :)
    >>

    >In the case BP the form is submited via a gateway and the e-mail address is
    >in the form. My point is not specifically e-mail but any contact to a
    >company.

    Your point is well made ... I merely suggest that those companies that
    believe web forms to be email are worse for replies than companies
    that don't think that :)

    Bruce

    Bruce Sinclair, Feb 10, 2004