    Any one aware of ant dodgy e mails from NTL? I keep getting mail from them
    saying my e mail is about to expire, and I have to open an attachment to
    read about it.
    john, Aug 3, 2003

  2. "john" <> wrote in message
    news:mOcXa.102$...
    > Any one aware of ant dodgy e mails from NTL? I keep getting mail from them
    > saying my e mail is about to expire, and I have to open an attachment to
    > read about it.

    Its a virus !!!!!!!! normally comes with a zip attachment that contains the
    virus

    Usually has the following message

    Hello there,
    I would like to inform you about important
    information regarding your email address. This email address will be
    expiring.
    Please read attachment for details.
    ---
    Best regards, Administrator
    Steven Pilbeam, Aug 3, 2003

  3. john

    °Mike° Guest

    Do NOT open those emails. It is the new W32/Mimail Virus.
    You Outlook Express is out of date and should be updated
    immediately to help protect yourself from this virus, and
    other exploits. You should install the OE cumulative update:
    http://www.microsoft.com/windows/ie/downloads/critical/330994/default.asp

    And the latest critical updates:
    http://www.microsoft.com/windows/ie/downloads/critical/818529/default.asp
    http://www.microsoft.com/security/security_bulletins/ms03-023.asp

    On Sun, 3 Aug 2003 19:50:27 +0100, in
    <mOcXa.102$>
    john scrawled:

    --
    Basic computer maintenance
    °Mike°, Aug 3, 2003
  4. john

    Paul - xxx Guest

    john tried to scribble ...

    > Any one aware of ant dodgy e mails from NTL? I keep getting mail from
    > them saying my e mail is about to expire, and I have to open an
    > attachment to read about it.

    Don't open the attachments, they contain a virus .. not a good thing really
    ... ;)

    They're _not_ from NTL

    Send (forward) them to with a short note explaining why,
    and let them figure out where they come from ..

    --
    .............................Paul - xxx
    http://www.tvlicensing.biz/
    Paul - xxx, Aug 3, 2003
  5. john

    °Mike° Guest

    I should also have said to keep your antivirus scanner up to date.

    --
    Basic computer maintenance
    °Mike°, Aug 3, 2003
  6. john

    trout Guest

    Paul - xxx wrote:

    > john tried to scribble ...
    >
    >> Any one aware of ant dodgy e mails from NTL? I keep getting mail from
    >> them saying my e mail is about to expire, and I have to open an
    >> attachment to read about it.

    > Don't open the attachments, they contain a virus .. not a good thing
    > really .. ;)
    >
    > They're _not_ from NTL
    >
    > Send (forward) them to with a short note
    > explaining why, and let them figure out where they come from ..

    There must be a lot of them around. I noticed that NTL are even
    including the warning in their auto-ack for abuse reports.
    --
    "Vandalism knows no holidays."
    trout, Aug 4, 2003
  7. john

    Paul - xxx Guest

    trout tried to scribble ...

    > Paul - xxx wrote:
    >
    >> john tried to scribble ...
    >>
    >>> Any one aware of ant dodgy e mails from NTL? I keep getting mail
    >>> from them saying my e mail is about to expire, and I have to open an
    >>> attachment to read about it.

    >> Don't open the attachments, they contain a virus .. not a good thing
    >> really .. ;)
    >>
    >> They're _not_ from NTL
    >>
    >> Send (forward) them to with a short note
    >> explaining why, and let them figure out where they come from ..

    > There must be a lot of them around. I noticed that NTL are even
    > including the warning in their auto-ack for abuse reports.

    There was a spate when some spammers and virus propagators realised that
    many people in specific areas that had been 'taken over' by Diamond Cable or
    TeleWest or whoever (Now blanketed under the ntlworld banner) potentially
    had their first and last name with a suffix of @ntlworld as their email
    address. It was a simple process to use the local electoral role and mail
    merge a complete address book that virtually guaranteed many, many hits. In
    fact I've seen it said that this manner of mass emailing was so productive
    that there were around 18% hits. On a small (or large) address book that
    equates to a _LOT_ of hits, especially when even decent email address cd's
    only suggest around 0.6 % hits are verifiable .. ;)

    It all happened because ntl decided that their customers main or default
    email addresses were all firstname.lastname@ntlworld ... spammers heaven ..
    ;)

    Same with bigfoot.com .. a great email forwarding service and idea, but then
    they also publish the names of everyone who subscribes to it. So Bigfoot,
    far from being the great email service that it was, is also now a spam
    heaven ..

    I hate spam, with a vengeance .. ;)

    Paul - xxx, Aug 4, 2003