    When I attach .jpg's to an e-mail and send them the recipient receives the
    pics as Winmail.dat and is unable to open them. Does anyone know what is
    happening and how I can stop it?

    Simon Mayo, Nov 24, 2006

  2. "Simon Mayo" <> wrote in
    news::

    > When I attach .jpg's to an e-mail and send them the recipient receives
    > the pics as Winmail.dat and is unable to open them. Does anyone know
    > what is happening and how I can stop it?

    Hi,

    I would guess you are using Outlook to send your mail and this encapulates
    attachments in Winmail.dat. The person you are sending the email to is not
    using outlook and thus only sees the winmail.dat attachments.

    You can stop this behavious by using the method for microsoft detailed here
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/138053

    Alos there is this free utility
    http://www.eolsoft.com/freeware/winmail_opener/ that aloows people to open
    Winmail.dat

    Hope this helps

    Harry

    Harry Bennett, Nov 24, 2006

  3. Simon Mayo

    Phil Wheeler Guest

    Simon Mayo wrote:
    > When I attach .jpg's to an e-mail and send them the recipient receives the
    > pics as Winmail.dat and is unable to open them. Does anyone know what is
    > happening and how I can stop it?

    I've seen that happen. What computer and what
    email program? Without that info, no one will
    have a clue.

    Phil

    Phil Wheeler, Nov 24, 2006
  4. Simon Mayo

    Phil Wheeler Guest

    Harry Bennett wrote:
    > "Simon Mayo" <> wrote in
    >
    >> When I attach .jpg's to an e-mail and send them the recipient receives
    >> the pics as Winmail.dat and is unable to open them. Does anyone know
    >> what is happening and how I can stop it?
    >>

    > Hi,
    >
    > I would guess you are using Outlook to send your mail and this encapulates
    > attachments in Winmail.dat. The person you are sending the email to is not
    > using outlook and thus only sees the winmail.dat attachments.
    >
    > You can stop this behavious by using the method for microsoft detailed here
    > http://support.microsoft.com/kb/138053
    >
    > Alos there is this free utility
    > http://www.eolsoft.com/freeware/winmail_opener/ that aloows people to open
    > Winmail.dat
    >
    > Hope this helps

    I was wrong: Someone does have a clue ;-)

    Phil

    Phil Wheeler, Nov 24, 2006
  5. Simon Mayo

    Steve Wolfe Guest

    > When I attach .jpg's to an e-mail and send them the recipient receives the
    > pics as Winmail.dat and is unable to open them. Does anyone know what is
    > happening and how I can stop it?

    Take some initiative, and type "winmail.dat" into google. You'll be
    amazed at how useful the information you'll find will be.

    steve

    Steve Wolfe, Nov 24, 2006
  6. Simon Mayo

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Harry Bennett wrote:
    > "Simon Mayo" <> wrote in
    >
    >> When I attach .jpg's to an e-mail and send them the recipient receives
    >> the pics as Winmail.dat and is unable to open them. Does anyone know
    >> what is happening and how I can stop it?
    >>

    > Hi,
    >
    > I would guess you are using Outlook to send your mail and this encapulates
    > attachments in Winmail.dat. The person you are sending the email to is not
    > using outlook and thus only sees the winmail.dat attachments.
    >
    > You can stop this behavious by using the method for microsoft detailed here
    > http://support.microsoft.com/kb/138053
    >
    > Alos there is this free utility
    > http://www.eolsoft.com/freeware/winmail_opener/ that aloows people to open
    > Winmail.dat
    >
    > Hope this helps
    >
    > Harry

    Or by not using Outlook.... Grin.

    Ron Hunter, Nov 24, 2006
  7. Simon Mayo

    Neil Ellwood Guest

    On Fri, 24 Nov 2006 08:22:55 +0000, Simon Mayo wrote:

    > When I attach .jpg's to an e-mail and send them the recipient receives the
    > pics as Winmail.dat and is unable to open them. Does anyone know what is
    > happening and how I can stop it?

    Use a different email client.

    --
    Neil
    'The moving finger writes and having writ still makes the same mistakes'.

    Neil Ellwood, Nov 24, 2006