E-Mail Transmission Problem

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by Starcap 50, Feb 7, 2004.

  1. Starcap 50

    Starcap 50 Guest

    Hello,

    I would like to report a problem which has apparently happened to me for the
    very first time. At least, to my knowledge.

    I have seen this problem in the e-mail messages of others.

    But this is the first time I have ever seen it happen to one of mine.

    In any event, I sent my sister an e-mail message a couple of days ago.

    She wrote back and told me that my message contained 14 separate strings of
    these "&mbsp" thingies.

    This really alarmed and pissed me off. Lately, I have been sending out a lot
    of important e-mail and have been wondering if my lack of replies has been due
    to this transmission glitch.

    Could this be an AOL problem? After all, my ISP server is with AOL.

    I have to confess that I have felt irked in the past when I have seen e-mail
    messages from others with this same problem. I usually attributed it to an
    inferior e-mail service.

    But lo and behold......now it has happened to me.

    Do any of you have any insights as to what is causing this?

    And what I might be able to do about it?

    Thanks in advance.

    Very Sincerely,

    Dennis
    Starcap 50, Feb 7, 2004

  2. Starcap 50

    Chet Guest

    You are sending your mail as html and the reader is reading it as text only.
    The code you refer to is probably   not &mbsp; and is used in html to
    force a space character where otherwise the browser might not put one. To
    avoid the problem in the future format your mail as plain text instead of
    html.

    Chet, Feb 7, 2004

  3. Starcap 50

    Starcap 50 Guest

    From: "Chet" :

    >>You are sending your mail as html and the reader is reading it as text

    only.<<

    Many thanks for your quick answer.

    Question #1: How did this happen?

    >>To avoid the problem in the future format your mail as plain text instead of

    html.<<

    Question #2: How do I do this?

    I have been a member of AOL since 1996, and this is the first time that any of
    my
    e-mail messages have ever been reported to contain these "&mbsp" strings.

    Why, after all these years, are my AOL e-mails suddenly being read with these
    "&mbsp" strings?

    How do I fix this?

    Help!

    Thanks.

    Dennis
    Starcap 50, Feb 7, 2004
  4. Starcap 50

    Starcap 50 Guest

    Hello Again,

    In an attempt to further investigate this problem, I went to the "Mail
    Preferences" section on my AOL 6.0.

    I could find nothingv -- absolutely nothing -- which addresses the issue of
    sending
    e-mail messages in either "text" or "html" format.

    Could it be possible that my sister has her e-mail reception system
    inadvertently set up to read "html" and not "text only."

    Again, this is the first time this has ever happened to me in all the years I
    have been sending out mail via AOL.

    And again, I could find absolutely nothing in any of my "settings" about
    adjusting my e-mail transmission settings to either "html" or "text only"
    format.

    Now suddenly this happens.

    Further confused.........

    Dennis
    Starcap 50, Feb 7, 2004
  5. Starcap 50

    Chet Guest

    Sorry, I can't help you with AOL. If I had noticed that you were using AOL
    I probably would have left the answer to somebody else.

    Chet, Feb 7, 2004