e mail notify

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Bigfred, Oct 1, 2003.

  1. Bigfred

    Bigfred Guest

    Can anyone recommend a good e mail notify programme for outlook express.
    Thanks.
     
    Bigfred, Oct 1, 2003
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. Bigfred

    °Mike° Guest

    Tools / Options / General tab.
    Check 'Play sound when new message arrives'.


    On Wed, 1 Oct 2003 21:03:38 +0100, in
    <tqGeb.705$>
    Bigfred scrawled:

    >Can anyone recommend a good e mail notify programme for outlook express.
    >Thanks.
    >


    --
    Basic computer maintenance
    http://uk.geocities.com/personel44/maintenance.html
     
    °Mike°, Oct 1, 2003
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. Bigfred

    Brian H¹© Guest

    Bigfred said:

    > Can anyone recommend a good e mail notify programme for outlook express.
    > Thanks.


    Are you talking about requesting receipts?
    Cos most people with more than 1/2 brain cell choose "Never send a read receipt"
    from their options.
     
    Brian H¹©, Oct 1, 2003
    #3
  4. Oh God here we go again with this question. I still don't understand why
    Microsoft does NOT have this feature in it's software! Most of us like to
    know whether we have mail without constantly having to open up the actual
    program to check.

    Just like AOL and pictures with profiles, it took AOL 10 years to figure
    this out, it will take Microsoft 20!


    "Bigfred" <> wrote in message
    news:tqGeb.705$...
    > Can anyone recommend a good e mail notify programme for outlook express.
    > Thanks.
    >
    >
     
    What's In A Name?, Oct 1, 2003
    #4
  5. Bigfred

    Brian H¹© Guest

    Brian H¹© said:

    > Bigfred said:
    >
    >> Can anyone recommend a good e mail notify programme for outlook express.
    >> Thanks.

    >
    > Are you talking about requesting receipts?
    > Cos most people with more than 1/2 brain cell choose "Never send a read
    > receipt" from their options.


    Ah, I see from Mikes post, you could mean announcing arrival of new mail.
     
    Brian H¹©, Oct 1, 2003
    #5
  6. I don't really like any of the 'cheesy' programs out there. I want a mail
    notifier built in to my mail program, not seperate! But if you happen to
    use any kind of IM programs like AIM, Yahoo, MSN etc, you might want to
    think about buying Trillian Pro! Not only does it let you use all of your
    IM programs with one interface, you can also add a mail account and it will
    alert you when you have new mail!


    "Bigfred" <> wrote in message
    news:tqGeb.705$...
    > Can anyone recommend a good e mail notify programme for outlook express.
    > Thanks.
    >
    >
     
    What's In A Name?, Oct 1, 2003
    #6
  7. Bigfred

    Bigfred Guest

    No a add on programme to notify when new mail has arrived , Brian.


    "Brian H¹©" <> wrote in message
    news:uuGeb.4468$...
    > Bigfred said:
    >
    > > Can anyone recommend a good e mail notify programme for outlook express.
    > > Thanks.

    >
    > Are you talking about requesting receipts?
    > Cos most people with more than 1/2 brain cell choose "Never send a read

    receipt"
    > from their options.
    >
    >
     
    Bigfred, Oct 1, 2003
    #7
  8. Bigfred

    Brian H¹© Guest

    Bigfred said:

    > No a add on programme to notify when new mail has arrived , Brian.


    If you are going to have a program running when OE is closed, you would be
    better off getting MailWasher, that plays the New Mail sound as well as dealing
    with the spam.

    >
    >
    > "Brian H¹©" <> wrote in message
    > news:uuGeb.4468$...
    >> Bigfred said:
    >>
    >>> Can anyone recommend a good e mail notify programme for outlook express.
    >>> Thanks.

    >>
    >> Are you talking about requesting receipts?
    >> Cos most people with more than 1/2 brain cell choose "Never send a read
    >> receipt" from their options.
     
    Brian H¹©, Oct 1, 2003
    #8
  9. Bigfred

    Brian H¹© Guest

    What's In A Name? said:

    > I don't really like any of the 'cheesy' programs out there. I want a mail
    > notifier built in to my mail program, not seperate! But if you happen to
    > use any kind of IM programs like AIM, Yahoo, MSN etc, you might want to
    > think about buying Trillian Pro! Not only does it let you use all of your
    > IM programs with one interface, you can also add a mail account and it will
    > alert you when you have new mail!


    I think you will find that Yahoo has now paired up with MSN in stopping Trillian
    from accessing their servers.

    >
    >
    > "Bigfred" <> wrote in message
    > news:tqGeb.705$...
    >> Can anyone recommend a good e mail notify programme for outlook express.
    >> Thanks.
     
    Brian H¹©, Oct 1, 2003
    #9
  10. Bigfred

    °Mike° Guest

    Magic Mail Monitor (free, multiple accounts)
    http://mmm3.sourceforge.net/


    On Wed, 1 Oct 2003 21:12:04 +0100, in
    <myGeb.879$>
    Bigfred scrawled:

    >No a add on programme to notify when new mail has arrived , Brian.
    >
    >
    >"Brian H¹©" <> wrote in message
    >news:uuGeb.4468$...
    >> Bigfred said:
    >>
    >> > Can anyone recommend a good e mail notify programme for outlook express.
    >> > Thanks.

    >>
    >> Are you talking about requesting receipts?
    >> Cos most people with more than 1/2 brain cell choose "Never send a read

    >receipt"
    >> from their options.
    >>
    >>

    >


    --
    Basic computer maintenance
    http://uk.geocities.com/personel44/maintenance.html
     
    °Mike°, Oct 1, 2003
    #10
  11. Bigfred

    Phil Guest

    It looks like you were wasting your time Mike! - Shame because that is the
    easiest way for Bigfred to obtain his goal.

    "°Mike°" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Tools / Options / General tab.
    > Check 'Play sound when new message arrives'.
    >
    >
    > On Wed, 1 Oct 2003 21:03:38 +0100, in
    > <tqGeb.705$>
    > Bigfred scrawled:
    >
    > >Can anyone recommend a good e mail notify programme for outlook express.
    > >Thanks.
    > >

    >
    > --
    > Basic computer maintenance
    > http://uk.geocities.com/personel44/maintenance.html



    ---
    Outgoing mail is certified Virus Free.
    Checked by AVG anti-virus system (http://www.grisoft.com).
    Version: 6.0.521 / Virus Database: 319 - Release Date: 23/09/2003
     
    Phil, Oct 2, 2003
    #11
  12. Bigfred

    °Mike° Guest

    °Mike°, Oct 2, 2003
    #12
  13. Bebop & Rocksteady, Oct 2, 2003
    #13
  14. Bigfred

    Kraftee Guest

    What's In A Name? wrote:
    > Oh God here we go again with this question. I still don't
    > understand why Microsoft does NOT have this feature in it's
    > software! Most of us like to know whether we have mail without
    > constantly having to open up the actual program to check.
    >
    > Just like AOL and pictures with profiles, it took AOL 10 years to
    > figure this out, it will take Microsoft 20!
    >
    >
    > "Bigfred" <> wrote in message
    > news:tqGeb.705$...
    >> Can anyone recommend a good e mail notify programme for outlook
    >> express. Thanks.


    & what's wrong with minimizing OE into your toolbar???

    You do have to remember to tell it to poll your mail server every so
    often though.

    Or are you saying you don't want to leave OE open (but minimized) but
    you do want another program to be running/polling your account
    instead??

    --
    B-)

    Don't practice safe hex.......
    do it!!
     
    Kraftee, Oct 2, 2003
    #14
  15. Bigfred

    Brian H¹© Guest

    Kraftee said:

    > What's In A Name? wrote:
    >> Oh God here we go again with this question. I still don't
    >> understand why Microsoft does NOT have this feature in it's
    >> software! Most of us like to know whether we have mail without
    >> constantly having to open up the actual program to check.
    >>
    >> Just like AOL and pictures with profiles, it took AOL 10 years to
    >> figure this out, it will take Microsoft 20!
    >>
    >>
    >> "Bigfred" <> wrote in message
    >> news:tqGeb.705$...
    >>> Can anyone recommend a good e mail notify programme for outlook
    >>> express. Thanks.

    >
    > & what's wrong with minimizing OE into your toolbar???
    >
    > You do have to remember to tell it to poll your mail server every so
    > often though.
    >
    > Or are you saying you don't want to leave OE open (but minimized) but
    > you do want another program to be running/polling your account
    > instead??


    I prefer to have MailWasher running, because it gives me the chance to delete
    the mail from the server without having to download to OE's filters, which means
    allowing things onto the system, and only have OE's filters move it to the
    Deleted Items folder.
    So I can understand the reason for having one program running instead of
    another.
     
    Brian H¹©, Oct 2, 2003
    #15
  16. Bigfred

    Kraftee Guest

    Brian H¹© wrote:
    > Kraftee said:
    >
    >> What's In A Name? wrote:
    >>> Oh God here we go again with this question. I still don't
    >>> understand why Microsoft does NOT have this feature in it's
    >>> software! Most of us like to know whether we have mail without
    >>> constantly having to open up the actual program to check.
    >>>
    >>> Just like AOL and pictures with profiles, it took AOL 10 years to
    >>> figure this out, it will take Microsoft 20!
    >>>
    >>>
    >>> "Bigfred" <> wrote in message
    >>> news:tqGeb.705$...
    >>>> Can anyone recommend a good e mail notify programme for outlook
    >>>> express. Thanks.

    >>
    >> & what's wrong with minimizing OE into your toolbar???
    >>
    >> You do have to remember to tell it to poll your mail server every
    >> so often though.
    >>
    >> Or are you saying you don't want to leave OE open (but minimized)
    >> but you do want another program to be running/polling your account
    >> instead??

    >
    > I prefer to have MailWasher running, because it gives me the chance
    > to delete the mail from the server without having to download to
    > OE's filters, which means allowing things onto the system, and only
    > have OE's filters move it to the Deleted Items folder.
    > So I can understand the reason for having one program running
    > instead of another.


    Actually I do do it that way myself (well I also have OE minimized as
    well but it doesn't poll for any new mail until I tell it), but I get
    fed up with people complaining about software not doing what they want
    when in fact it's the complainers not being bothered to learn how to
    do what they want with the software they've already got...

    --
    B-)

    Don't practice safe hex.......
    do it!!
     
    Kraftee, Oct 2, 2003
    #16
  17. Bigfred

    Brian H¹© Guest

    Kraftee said:

    > Brian H¹© wrote:
    >> Kraftee said:
    >>
    >>> What's In A Name? wrote:
    >>>> Oh God here we go again with this question. I still don't
    >>>> understand why Microsoft does NOT have this feature in it's
    >>>> software! Most of us like to know whether we have mail without
    >>>> constantly having to open up the actual program to check.
    >>>>
    >>>> Just like AOL and pictures with profiles, it took AOL 10 years to
    >>>> figure this out, it will take Microsoft 20!
    >>>>
    >>>>
    >>>> "Bigfred" <> wrote in message
    >>>> news:tqGeb.705$...
    >>>>> Can anyone recommend a good e mail notify programme for outlook
    >>>>> express. Thanks.
    >>>
    >>> & what's wrong with minimizing OE into your toolbar???
    >>>
    >>> You do have to remember to tell it to poll your mail server every
    >>> so often though.
    >>>
    >>> Or are you saying you don't want to leave OE open (but minimized)
    >>> but you do want another program to be running/polling your account
    >>> instead??

    >>
    >> I prefer to have MailWasher running, because it gives me the chance
    >> to delete the mail from the server without having to download to
    >> OE's filters, which means allowing things onto the system, and only
    >> have OE's filters move it to the Deleted Items folder.
    >> So I can understand the reason for having one program running
    >> instead of another.

    >
    > Actually I do do it that way myself (well I also have OE minimized as
    > well but it doesn't poll for any new mail until I tell it), but I get
    > fed up with people complaining about software not doing what they want
    > when in fact it's the complainers not being bothered to learn how to
    > do what they want with the software they've already got...


    Someone posted a link to a nifty little program some time ago that minimizes OE
    to the systray, I tried it for a while, but it didn't seem to like running under
    Win2000.
    I also hate having my Taskbar cluttered with minimized programs, which is
    another reason I like MailWasher because it sits in the Systray.
    I can't remember the name of the program in question, and I have looked through
    my archives and can't find a copy so I can't help with links.
     
    Brian H¹©, Oct 2, 2003
    #17
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. reo
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    4,184
  2. Replies:
    2
    Views:
    10,081
  3. Les Stewart

    How to Block Read-Notify Company?? - Privacy Issue

    Les Stewart, Sep 7, 2005, in forum: Computer Support
    Replies:
    7
    Views:
    24,527
    rhiannon1223
    Jan 23, 2009
  4. Mike Bromwich

    SIP SUBSCRIBE/NOTIFY on Cisco AS5350

    Mike Bromwich, Oct 20, 2003, in forum: VOIP
    Replies:
    2
    Views:
    1,475
    Mike Bromwich
    Nov 3, 2003
  5. MB
    Replies:
    8
    Views:
    897
Loading...

Share This Page