    would be nice.

    What do other folks think? Are organizations becoming too e-mail-centric
    nowadays?

    Lawrence D¹Oliveiro, Aug 7, 2005

  2. "Lawrence D¹Oliveiro" <_zealand> wrote in message
    > Came across this item <http://tvnz.co.nz/view/page/411365/602518> about
    > the Essex Chief Constable declaring Wednesdays to be "e-mail free". That
    > is, instead of staff sending each other e-mails on that day, they should
    > actually try _talking_ to each other for a change. Even over the phone
    > would be nice.
    >
    > What do other folks think? Are organizations becoming too e-mail-centric
    > nowadays?

    I've noticed emails can cause much grief between geographically separated
    offices. Without the subtle feedback and body language people can get the
    wrong idea in an email . Specially on high stress projects.

    news.xtra.co.nz, Aug 7, 2005

  3. Lawrence D¹Oliveiro

    Gordon Guest

    On Sun, 07 Aug 2005 15:36:56 +1200, Lawrence D¹Oliveiro wrote:

    > Came across this item <http://tvnz.co.nz/view/page/411365/602518> about
    > the Essex Chief Constable declaring Wednesdays to be "e-mail free". That
    > is, instead of staff sending each other e-mails on that day, they should
    > actually try _talking_ to each other for a change. Even over the phone
    > would be nice.
    >
    > What do other folks think? Are organizations becoming too e-mail-centric
    > nowadays?

    e-mail is a tool. Use it for waht it is good for. Screwdrivers are not
    chisels and vica versa.

    2nd. Okay so I wish to talk to Jane Doe.

    "Could anyone tell me where Jane is?"

    "Not sure but I think she might be... "

    24X3600x3.765 seconds later I spot her in the distance. Either the fire
    has burnt the building to the ground or I can not remember what I wanted
    to see her about before she turns the corner.

    e-mail, like notes left on a persons desk can keep things moving.
    Customers like this yes?

    Gordon, Aug 7, 2005
  4. Lawrence D¹Oliveiro

    Kiwi Trev Guest

    "Gordon" <> wrote in message
    > On Sun, 07 Aug 2005 15:36:56 +1200, Lawrence D¹Oliveiro wrote:
    >
    >> Came across this item <http://tvnz.co.nz/view/page/411365/602518> about
    >> the Essex Chief Constable declaring Wednesdays to be "e-mail free". That
    >> is, instead of staff sending each other e-mails on that day, they should
    >> actually try _talking_ to each other for a change. Even over the phone
    >> would be nice.
    >>
    >> What do other folks think? Are organizations becoming too e-mail-centric
    >> nowadays?

    > e-mail is a tool. Use it for waht it is good for. Screwdrivers are not
    > chisels and vica versa.
    >
    > 2nd. Okay so I wish to talk to Jane Doe.
    >
    > "Could anyone tell me where Jane is?"
    >
    > "Not sure but I think she might be... "
    >
    > 24X3600x3.765 seconds later I spot her in the distance. Either the fire
    > has burnt the building to the ground or I can not remember what I wanted
    > to see her about before she turns the corner.
    >
    > e-mail, like notes left on a persons desk can keep things moving.
    > Customers like this yes?

    Fucking lunatic

    Kiwi Trev, Aug 7, 2005
  5. In article <>, Lawrence D¹Oliveiro <_zealand> wrote:
    >Came across this item <http://tvnz.co.nz/view/page/411365/602518> about
    >the Essex Chief Constable declaring Wednesdays to be "e-mail free". That
    >is, instead of staff sending each other e-mails on that day, they should
    >actually try _talking_ to each other for a change. Even over the phone
    >would be nice.
    >
    >What do other folks think? Are organizations becoming too e-mail-centric
    >nowadays?

    Yes :)
    While it is a type of communication, nothing beats face to face. Phone to
    phone is down a step and email probably another step down the communication
    pyramid.

    Bruce

    (if there were any)

    Bruce Sinclair, Aug 8, 2005
  6. Lawrence D¹Oliveiro

    Phstpok Guest

    I just yelled hello out of a window. Anyone hear me?

    Lawrence D¹Oliveiro stubbed out the damp squib on 7/08/2005 3:36 p.m.and
    tried to bring to our attention, this pearl of wisdom:

    Phstpok, Aug 8, 2005
  7. Lawrence D¹Oliveiro

    Bret Guest

    On Mon, 08 Aug 2005 14:39:56 +1200, Phstpok <> wrote:

    >I just yelled hello out of a window. Anyone hear me?

    Was that you was it :)

    Bret, Aug 8, 2005
  8. Lawrence D¹Oliveiro

    Craig Shore Guest

    On Sun, 07 Aug 2005 23:11:22 GMT,
    z (Bruce Sinclair) wrote:

    >In article <>, Lawrence D¹Oliveiro <_zealand> wrote:
    >>Came across this item <http://tvnz.co.nz/view/page/411365/602518> about
    >>the Essex Chief Constable declaring Wednesdays to be "e-mail free". That
    >>is, instead of staff sending each other e-mails on that day, they should
    >>actually try _talking_ to each other for a change. Even over the phone
    >>would be nice.
    >>
    >>What do other folks think? Are organizations becoming too e-mail-centric
    >>nowadays?

    >Yes :)
    >While it is a type of communication, nothing beats face to face. Phone to
    >phone is down a step and email probably another step down the communication
    >pyramid.

    Sometimes email is the better option, other times talking is. If you need to
    supply a lot of detail before the other person can provide an answer it's easier
    if you send it in writing. It also allows the person at the other end to better
    manage their time, or to delegate the task to someone else capable of doing it
    by simply forwarding the email.

    Having said that, if there is a lot of need for two way conversation before an
    answer can be obtained then a phone call is better.

    Craig Shore, Aug 8, 2005
  9. In article <dd8srh$211e$>, "Kent Smith" <> wrote:
    >Lawrence D¹Oliveiro wrote:
    >> Came across this item <http://tvnz.co.nz/view/page/411365/602518>
    >> about the Essex Chief Constable declaring Wednesdays to be "e-mail
    >> free". That is, instead of staff sending each other e-mails on that
    >> day, they should actually try _talking_ to each other for a change.
    >> Even over the phone would be nice.
    >>
    >> What do other folks think? Are organizations becoming too
    >> e-mail-centric nowadays?

    >Email is good if you want an audit trail of communication. Verbally,
    >anything or nothing can be said in a conversation.

    ... and yet a verbal contract is just as binding as written one, if harder
    to prove :)
    OTOH, if you want secure, don't email :) :)

    Bruce

    (if there were any)

    Bruce Sinclair, Aug 9, 2005
  10. Lawrence D¹Oliveiro

    Kent Smith Guest

    Lawrence D¹Oliveiro wrote:
    > Came across this item <http://tvnz.co.nz/view/page/411365/602518>
    > about the Essex Chief Constable declaring Wednesdays to be "e-mail
    > free". That is, instead of staff sending each other e-mails on that
    > day, they should actually try _talking_ to each other for a change.
    > Even over the phone would be nice.
    >
    > What do other folks think? Are organizations becoming too
    > e-mail-centric nowadays?

    Email is good if you want an audit trail of communication. Verbally,
    anything or nothing can be said in a conversation.

    -KENT

    Kent Smith, Aug 9, 2005
  11. Lawrence D¹Oliveiro wrote:
    > Came across this item <http://tvnz.co.nz/view/page/411365/602518> about
    > the Essex Chief Constable declaring Wednesdays to be "e-mail free". That
    > is, instead of staff sending each other e-mails on that day, they should
    > actually try _talking_ to each other for a change. Even over the phone
    > would be nice.
    >
    > What do other folks think? Are organizations becoming too e-mail-centric
    > nowadays?

    sounds like a good idea(as I sit here checking email etc).

    --
    http://dave.net.nz <- My personal site.

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Aug 10, 2005