    is fine. However I also find a very oversized image in the message body
    area. I thought that Plain Text and attaching was suppose to eliminate
    the embedded image? Also why is it so oversized?

    Bob H, Jan 3, 2006

  2. Bob H

    Toolman Tim Guest

    In news:,
    Bob H spewed forth:
    > In Outlook Express I have selected Plain Text and attached a .jpg
    > image to E-Mail. I send it and take a look at what was sent and the
    > attachment is fine. However I also find a very oversized image in
    > the message body area. I thought that Plain Text and attaching was
    > suppose to eliminate the embedded image? Also why is it so oversized?

    The size of the image is probably based on pixels (from the original). So if
    your picture is say 600x400 pixels, it will fit nicely in an email window.
    If your picture is 6000x4000 pixels, it's a LOT bigger than your window (or
    your screen, which is often 800x600 or 1024x768, etc.) and will require
    scrolling to see all of it. So you need to consider resizing the picture
    before sending it.

    Toolman Tim, Jan 3, 2006

  3. Bob H

    Bob H Guest

    Toolman Tim wrote:
    > In news:,
    > Bob H spewed forth:
    >> In Outlook Express I have selected Plain Text and attached a .jpg
    >> image to E-Mail. I send it and take a look at what was sent and the
    >> attachment is fine. However I also find a very oversized image in
    >> the message body area. I thought that Plain Text and attaching was
    >> suppose to eliminate the embedded image? Also why is it so oversized?

    > The size of the image is probably based on pixels (from the
    > original). So if your picture is say 600x400 pixels, it will fit
    > nicely in an email window. If your picture is 6000x4000 pixels, it's
    > a LOT bigger than your window (or your screen, which is often 800x600
    > or 1024x768, etc.) and will require scrolling to see all of it. So
    > you need to consider resizing the picture before sending it.

    Ok so resizing the image works ok but it still doesn't answer the
    question
    as to why it's there in the first place. I've been advised to use plain
    text
    and attach images to eliminate the embedded feature that HTML provides.

    Bob H, Jan 3, 2006
  4. Bob H

    Toolman Tim Guest

    In news:,
    Bob H spewed forth:
    > Toolman Tim wrote:
    >> In news:,
    >> Bob H spewed forth:
    >>> In Outlook Express I have selected Plain Text and attached a .jpg
    >>> image to E-Mail. I send it and take a look at what was sent and the
    >>> attachment is fine. However I also find a very oversized image in
    >>> the message body area. I thought that Plain Text and attaching was
    >>> suppose to eliminate the embedded image? Also why is it so
    >>> oversized?

    >> The size of the image is probably based on pixels (from the
    >> original). So if your picture is say 600x400 pixels, it will fit
    >> nicely in an email window. If your picture is 6000x4000 pixels, it's
    >> a LOT bigger than your window (or your screen, which is often 800x600
    >> or 1024x768, etc.) and will require scrolling to see all of it. So
    >> you need to consider resizing the picture before sending it.

    > Ok so resizing the image works ok but it still doesn't answer the
    > question
    > as to why it's there in the first place. I've been advised to use
    > plain text
    > and attach images to eliminate the embedded feature that HTML
    > provides.

    OE will do as OE wants. It isn't sending in HTML, it's just showing in the
    recipients window.

    Toolman Tim, Jan 3, 2006
  5. Bob H

    Mike Easter Guest

    Bob H wrote:
    > In Outlook Express I have selected Plain Text and attached a .jpg
    > image to E-Mail.

    You should 'be aware' of the .jpg image qualities or information before
    you email it to someone.

    That is, when you send someone an image, the image should have the
    'characteristics' which you desire. Let's suppose that it is your
    intention that the person who is viewing the image only 'needs' an image
    with a resolution sufficient for viewing on their screeen -- as opposed
    to needing an image satisfactory for printing out a high resolution
    photograph as an 8x10 photo print.

    The little screensized and screen resolution .jpg is very small in terms
    of filesize and screensize; whereas the big fat 8x10 glossy photo is
    huge in filesize and screen realestate consumption.

    If you will view and convert as necessary the .jpg with some graphics
    management program such as IrfanView, you will be sending the recipient
    a file appropriate for their usage/viewing.

    > I send it and take a look at what was sent and the
    > attachment is fine.

    OK.

    > However I also find a very oversized image in
    > the message body area.

    Which version of OE are we talking about?

    Ooh, I see

    That would be XP SP2 -- that version has some features I don't know
    about or understand.

    > I thought that Plain Text and attaching was
    > suppose to eliminate the embedded image? Also why is it so oversized?

    How does the image view in some other viewers when opened directly from
    the saved file?

    --
    Mike Easter

    Mike Easter, Jan 3, 2006
  6. Bob H

    PC Guest

    "Bob H" <> wrote in message
    > In Outlook Express I have selected Plain Text and attached a .jpg image to
    > E-Mail. I send it and take a look at what was sent and the attachment is
    > fine. However I also find a very oversized image in the message body
    > area. I thought that Plain Text and attaching was suppose to eliminate the
    > embedded image? Also why is it so oversized?

    Bob

    Others have advised to reduce the pixel size of your .jpg which you appear
    to have achieved.

    The other issue you have of the .jpg showing in the body of the opened email
    is just the way Outlook Express handles it.
    i.e. it automatically show's any attached .jpg's at the foot of the text.
    I vaguely recall there is a way of turning it off but for the life of me
    can't remember it.
    Not that it matters because the results at the other end depend on the
    recipients settings not yours.

    Cheers
    Paul.

    PC, Jan 3, 2006
  7. Bob H wrote:

    > Toolman Tim wrote:
    >> In news:,
    >> Bob H spewed forth:
    >>> In Outlook Express I have selected Plain Text and attached a .jpg
    >>> image to E-Mail. I send it and take a look at what was sent and the
    >>> attachment is fine. However I also find a very oversized image in
    >>> the message body area. I thought that Plain Text and attaching was
    >>> suppose to eliminate the embedded image? Also why is it so oversized?

    >> The size of the image is probably based on pixels (from the
    >> original). So if your picture is say 600x400 pixels, it will fit
    >> nicely in an email window. If your picture is 6000x4000 pixels, it's
    >> a LOT bigger than your window (or your screen, which is often 800x600
    >> or 1024x768, etc.) and will require scrolling to see all of it. So
    >> you need to consider resizing the picture before sending it.

    > Ok so resizing the image works ok but it still doesn't answer the
    > question
    > as to why it's there in the first place. I've been advised to use plain
    > text
    > and attach images to eliminate the embedded feature that HTML provides.

    You're talking about two different things. Images can be embedded in
    text messages. Not using HTML is a good idea, though, with respect to
    that half of the discussion.

    --
    Blinky Reg Linux User 297263
    Killfiling all posts from Google Groups

    Blinky the Shark, Jan 3, 2006
  8. Bob H

    Mike Easter Guest

    Bob H wrote:

    > Ok so resizing the image works ok but it still doesn't answer the
    > question as to why it's there in the first place.

    When you view a plaintext message followed by a display of the graphic
    attachment, it is not 'necessary' for 'anyone' to render any html for
    you/anyone to be able to see the graphic 'under' the plaintext body. So
    viewing the graphic attachment to a plaintext mail is not the same as a
    graphic embedded in html. And the accessibility to someone receiving
    the mail who is not rendering html is different, which is the important
    thing. Whether their mailuser agent renders the graphic or just makes
    it accessible as an attachment, the graphic will 'be there' in a very
    accessible way.

    > I've been advised to use
    > plain text and attach images to eliminate the embedded feature that

    HTML
    > provides.

    Correct.

    --
    Mike Easter

    Mike Easter, Jan 3, 2006
  9. Bob H

    John Inzer Guest

    Bob H wrote:
    > Ok so resizing the image works ok but it still doesn't
    > answer the question
    > as to why it's there in the first place. I've been
    > advised to use plain text
    > and attach images to eliminate the embedded feature that
    > HTML provides.

    ============================
    On your Outlook Express screen...
    Go to...Tools / Options / Read tab...
    Check the box...
    "Read all messages in plain text" / Apply / OK.

    --

    John Inzer

    John Inzer, Jan 4, 2006
  10. Bob H

    Mike Easter Guest

    John Inzer wrote:
    > "Read all messages in plain text" / Apply / OK.

    Read all messages in plain text doesn't prevent OE from displaying a
    graphic attached to a plaintext mail. Neither does configuring to not
    allow attachments to be saved or opened which will prevent there being
    an attachment line, but the pic is still displayed. Neither does
    configuring the browser IE to not display pics in its options advanced
    tab.

    --
    Mike Easter

    Mike Easter, Jan 4, 2006
  11. Bob H

    ernie Guest

    "Bob H" <> wrote in message

    > Toolman Tim wrote:
    > > In news:,
    > > Bob H spewed forth:
    > >> In Outlook Express I have selected Plain Text and attached a .jpg
    > >> image to E-Mail. I send it and take a look at what was sent and the
    > >> attachment is fine. However I also find a very oversized image in
    > >> the message body area. I thought that Plain Text and attaching was
    > >> suppose to eliminate the embedded image? Also why is it so oversized?

    > > The size of the image is probably based on pixels (from the
    > > original). So if your picture is say 600x400 pixels, it will fit
    > > nicely in an email window. If your picture is 6000x4000 pixels, it's
    > > a LOT bigger than your window (or your screen, which is often 800x600
    > > or 1024x768, etc.) and will require scrolling to see all of it. So
    > > you need to consider resizing the picture before sending it.

    > Ok so resizing the image works ok but it still doesn't answer the
    > question
    > as to why it's there in the first place. I've been advised to use plain
    > text
    > and attach images to eliminate the embedded feature that HTML provides.

    This registry hack is for OE 5 (in win 98) but may be adaptable for your case:

    "Open Regedit and navigate to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Identities\{Identity
    number}\Software\Microsoft\Outlook Express\5.0
    Right-click in the right pane and add a new DWORD value called Automatically
    Inline Images. Possible values:
    0 = disables showing pictures inline
    1 = enables showing picturees inline
    2 = enables the "slideshow" view