e-machines. Any good?

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by ArtKramr, Nov 30, 2003.

  1. ArtKramr

    ArtKramr Guest

    ArtKramr, Nov 30, 2003

  2. "ArtKramr" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > >Subject: Re: e-machines. Any good?
    > >From: "Michael-NC"
    > >Date: 11/30/03 2:12 PM Pacific Standard Time
    > >
    > >They are, if the machine fits your needs. Service has been rated good as
    > >well.
    > >

    > >"ArtKramr" <> wrote in message
    > >> Are they?
    > >>

    > >> Arthur Kramer
    > >> 344th BG 494th BS
    > >> England, France, Belgium, Holland, Germany
    > >> Visit my WW II B-26 website at:
    > >> http://www.coastcomp.com/artkramer
    > >>

    > I now have a Dell 400 with an 8 meg hardd rive. For under $400 I can get

    an
    > e-machine 2.5 ghz with a 40 gig hard drive. Hard to beat.
    >
    > Regards,
    >

    > Arthur Kramer
    > 344th BG 494th BS
    > England, France, Belgium, Holland, Germany
    > Visit my WW II B-26 website at:
    > http://www.coastcomp.com/artkramer

    I have just received mine 5 days ago and so far I'm very please. Its a w2260
    1.8 gig Athlon, refurbished lots of computer for $500.00 canadian !
    Richard Garneau, Nov 30, 2003

  3. ArtKramr

    Michael-NC Guest

    Michael-NC, Nov 30, 2003
  4. ArtKramr

    ArtKramr Guest

    ArtKramr, Nov 30, 2003
  5. ArtKramr

    Wizard Guest

    Good .. Fast ... Cheap ... you can only have 2. Even today a good,
    solid, reliable and state of the art system costs between $1500 & $2000
    depending on whether or not you build it yourself. So you figure it out.

    Wizard, Dec 1, 2003
  6. ArtKramr

    Night_Seer Guest

    ArtKramr wrote:
    > Are they?
    >

    > Arthur Kramer
    > 344th BG 494th BS
    > England, France, Belgium, Holland, Germany
    > Visit my WW II B-26 website at:
    > http://www.coastcomp.com/artkramer

    They are fine, just don't expect it to do miracles. You will most
    likely be gettin on board video, which means no high end games (stuff
    like sim-city 200 or solitaire will be fine), as well as the video using
    shared memory (so that 128 or 256 megs of ram will now become 117 or 245
    megs of ram). You will be getting a slower than usual hard drive, most
    likely onboard sound as well, which has been getting better, but on that
    computer will not be great. The memory will be the slowest and cheapest
    available for the board. The motherboard itself will probably be
    limited in upgradeability, and might be missing fire-wire or usb 2.0 (if
    it has either, its a plus). Other than that, it should do web surfing,
    word processing, printing (all the "important" stuff for a regular user)
    just fine and dandy. If you want to upgrade in a couple years, be
    prepared to buy a new one.
    Night_Seer, Dec 1, 2003
  7. ArtKramr

    ArtKramr Guest

    >ubject: Re: e-machines. Any good?
    >From: "Night_Seer" ecamacho4at hotmail dot com
    >Date: 12/1/03 11:08 AM Pacific Standard Time
    >
    >ArtKramr wrote:
    >> Are they?
    >>

    >> Arthur Kramer
    >> 344th BG 494th BS
    >> England, France, Belgium, Holland, Germany
    >> Visit my WW II B-26 website at:
    >> http://www.coastcomp.com/artkramer

    > They are fine, just don't expect it to do miracles. You will most
    >likely be gettin on board video, which means no high end games (stuff
    >like sim-city 200 or solitaire will be fine), as well as the video using
    >shared memory (so that 128 or 256 megs of ram will now become 117 or 245
    >megs of ram). You will be getting a slower than usual hard drive, most
    >likely onboard sound as well, which has been getting better, but on that
    >computer will not be great. The memory will be the slowest and cheapest
    >available for the board. The motherboard itself will probably be
    >limited in upgradeability, and might be missing fire-wire or usb 2.0 (if
    >it has either, its a plus). Other than that, it should do web surfing,
    >word processing, printing (all the "important" stuff for a regular user)
    >just fine and dandy. If you want to upgrade in a couple years, be
    >prepared to buy a new one.

    Thanks for your reply. As far as upgrading the mother board, I can't do that
    with my Dell Dimension V400 either, so it's a wash. (sigh)

    ArtKramr, Dec 1, 2003
  8. ArtKramr

    chuckie® Guest

    No...luck...

    chuckie®, Dec 1, 2003
  9. ArtKramr

    Night_Seer Guest

    ArtKramr wrote:
    >> ubject: Re: e-machines. Any good?
    >> From: "Night_Seer" ecamacho4at hotmail dot com
    >> Date: 12/1/03 11:08 AM Pacific Standard Time
    >>
    >> ArtKramr wrote:
    >>> Are they?
    >>>

    >>> Arthur Kramer
    >>> 344th BG 494th BS
    >>> England, France, Belgium, Holland, Germany
    >>> Visit my WW II B-26 website at:
    >>> http://www.coastcomp.com/artkramer

    >> They are fine, just don't expect it to do miracles. You will most
    >> likely be gettin on board video, which means no high end games (stuff
    >> like sim-city 200 or solitaire will be fine), as well as the video
    >> using shared memory (so that 128 or 256 megs of ram will now become
    >> 117 or 245 megs of ram). You will be getting a slower than usual
    >> hard drive, most likely onboard sound as well, which has been
    >> getting better, but on that computer will not be great. The memory
    >> will be the slowest and cheapest available for the board. The
    >> motherboard itself will probably be limited in upgradeability, and
    >> might be missing fire-wire or usb 2.0 (if it has either, its a
    >> plus). Other than that, it should do web surfing, word processing,
    >> printing (all the "important" stuff for a regular user) just fine
    >> and dandy. If you want to upgrade in a couple years, be prepared to
    >> buy a new one.
    >>

    > Thanks for your reply. As far as upgrading the mother board, I can't
    > do that with my Dell Dimension V400 either, so it's a wash. (sigh)
    >
    > Regards
    >

    > Arthur Kramer
    > 344th BG 494th BS
    > England, France, Belgium, Holland, Germany
    > Visit my WW II B-26 website at:
    > http://www.coastcomp.com/artkramer

    What I meant was upgrading as in memory, sound or video. It
    probably won't have an AGP slot, it will have very limited numper of PCI
    slots, and the two dimm slots for the memory will be filled up with
    whatever you decide to get. So no extra ram, no new video card (unless
    its PCI, which is getting harder and harder to find), and very limited
    in add-on cards (maybe 1 or 2 slots available for you to use).
    Night_Seer, Dec 1, 2003
  10. ArtKramr

    Michael-NC Guest

    > ArtKramr wrote:
    > >> ubject: Re: e-machines. Any good?
    > >> From: "Night_Seer" ecamacho4at hotmail dot com
    > >> Date: 12/1/03 11:08 AM Pacific Standard Time

    > >> They are fine, just don't expect it to do miracles. You will most
    > >> likely be gettin on board video, which means no high end games (stuff
    > >> like sim-city 200 or solitaire will be fine), as well as the video
    > >> using shared memory (so that 128 or 256 megs of ram will now become
    > >> 117 or 245 megs of ram). You will be getting a slower than usual
    > >> hard drive, most likely onboard sound as well, which has been
    > >> getting better, but on that computer will not be great. The memory
    > >> will be the slowest and cheapest available for the board. The
    > >> motherboard itself will probably be limited in upgradeability, and
    > >> might be missing fire-wire or usb 2.0 (if it has either, its a
    > >> plus). Other than that, it should do web surfing, word processing,
    > >> printing (all the "important" stuff for a regular user) just fine
    > >> and dandy. If you want to upgrade in a couple years, be prepared to
    > >> buy a new one.
    > >>

    > > Thanks for your reply. As far as upgrading the mother board, I can't
    > > do that with my Dell Dimension V400 either, so it's a wash. (sigh)
    > >
    > > Regards
    > >

    > > Arthur Kramer
    > > 344th BG 494th BS
    > > England, France, Belgium, Holland, Germany
    > > Visit my WW II B-26 website at:
    > > http://www.coastcomp.com/artkramer

    > What I meant was upgrading as in memory, sound or video. It
    > probably won't have an AGP slot, it will have very limited numper of PCI
    > slots, and the two dimm slots for the memory will be filled up with
    > whatever you decide to get. So no extra ram, no new video card (unless
    > its PCI, which is getting harder and harder to find), and very limited
    > in add-on cards (maybe 1 or 2 slots available for you to use).

    Not all Emachines are so configured.
    Michael-NC, Dec 2, 2003
  11. ArtKramr

    Night_Seer Guest

    Michael-NC wrote:
    > "Night_Seer" <ecamacho4 at hotmail dot com> wrote in message

    >>> Thanks for your reply. As far as upgrading the mother board, I can't
    >>> do that with my Dell Dimension V400 either, so it's a wash. (sigh)
    >>>
    >>> Regards
    >>>

    >>> Arthur Kramer
    >>> 344th BG 494th BS
    >>> England, France, Belgium, Holland, Germany
    >>> Visit my WW II B-26 website at:
    >>> http://www.coastcomp.com/artkramer

    >> What I meant was upgrading as in memory, sound or video. It
    >> probably won't have an AGP slot, it will have very limited numper of
    >> PCI slots, and the two dimm slots for the memory will be filled up
    >> with whatever you decide to get. So no extra ram, no new video card
    >> (unless its PCI, which is getting harder and harder to find), and
    >> very limited in add-on cards (maybe 1 or 2 slots available for you
    >> to use).

    > Not all Emachines are so configured.

    Well yeah...it depends on what you buy, but most are. Though I haven't
    really heard of a high end emachine.

    --
    Night_Seer
    Night_Seer, Dec 2, 2003