    Anybody have any experience with there computers?

    Thanks

    Robert

    Robert, Feb 1, 2004

  2. Robert

    JTJersey Guest

    On Sun, 01 Feb 2004 15:56:07 +0000, Robert wrote:

    > I am thinking of purchasing an E-machines S2485 Computer in Sam's.
    > Anybody have any experience with there computers?
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > Robert

    My daughter had one for several years and my sister liked her first one
    well enough to buy a new one just a few months ago. They work ok, but I
    don't know anything about the quality of their tech support and upgrades
    can be a problem.

    JTJersey, Feb 1, 2004

  3. Robert

    Thor Guest

    "JTJersey" <> wrote in message
    > On Sun, 01 Feb 2004 15:56:07 +0000, Robert wrote:
    >
    > > I am thinking of purchasing an E-machines S2485 Computer in Sam's.
    > > Anybody have any experience with there computers?
    > >
    > > Thanks
    > >
    > > Robert

    > My daughter had one for several years and my sister liked her first one
    > well enough to buy a new one just a few months ago. They work ok, but I
    > don't know anything about the quality of their tech support and upgrades
    > can be a problem.

    I never cared for them because every example I've ever worked on was cheesy
    and cheaply constructed from mostly Korean-manufactured components. The
    units were manufactured by Trigem in a marketing partnership with KDS,
    another Korean brand I have low regard for. Lots of people have been more
    than satisfied with them, based on posts I've read, but then again, lots of
    people were satisfied with Packard Bell when they were still around in the
    US market being a nightmare for PC technicians. They are inexpensive, that's
    for sure. Interestingly Gateway just bought Emachines. So who knows what
    they will be like in the future.

    Thor, Feb 1, 2004
  4. Robert

    TINY Guest

    I had one for about two weeks then the mouse port was bad and they don't
    give you a cd of win xp it's suppose to be on the machine somewhere if you
    need it when I call support about the mouse and told him it didn't work and
    I try two different one he said that they were no good and he sent me a new
    one and it still didn't work after that.

    TINY, Feb 1, 2004
  5. Robert

    Wizard Guest

    X-No-Archive:Yes

    Here are my personal ratings based on Performance, Quality, Tech Support
    and compatibility. 10 = Best, 0 = DO NOT BUY (even if free):

    Dell ................. 8.1
    Micron ............... 7.9 (inflexible and pricey)
    IBM .................. 6.8
    Gateway .............. 6.0 (fails in Customer/tech support)
    Compaq ............... 5.6
    Acer ................. 5.3
    Sony ................. 4.5
    AOpen ................ 4.2
    EMachines ............ 3.0
    HP ................... 2.9
    NEC/Packard Bell ..... 2.0
    Daewoo ............... 0.2 (anything from them)

    Shop/Custom built machines are impossible to give a general rating
    because they are all different and vary daily, although it is here that
    you find the ratings of 9's and 10's..

    Wizard, Feb 1, 2004
  6. I had one for a few years. It is only upgradeable to a certain point...but so
    are most computers. Mine was pretty reliable and stable. For the basic user
    that doesn't want to spend alot of money, I would reccomend it.

    GT Grand Prix 00, Feb 1, 2004
  7. Robert

    Trent© Guest

    On Sun, 01 Feb 2004 15:56:07 GMT, Robert <> wrote:

    >I am thinking of purchasing an E-machines S2485 Computer in Sam's.
    >Anybody have any experience with there computers?

    They're as good as any...probably better than most.

    Go for it!! You won't be disappointed.

    Have a nice week...

    Trent

    Trent©, Feb 2, 2004
  8. Robert

    Rob-J Guest

    Take the word of a tech, you get what you pay for. Sure. some people will
    get one which works great but majority will be unstatisfied. They are cheap
    Korean made which makes getting a good system a crap shoot. I would never
    look at price as a deciding factor when purchasing a computer. Support and
    quality pays a large roll. If you get a system and save $200 to $300 what
    good is it if you have to spend hours on the phone with technical support
    and eventually having to send the system in for repairs. Now you are out
    without a computer for two weeks. Then you get the system back and BINGO it
    fails again!

    Bottom line. it's your money and you spend it the way you see fit.

    Good luck

    Rob-J, Feb 2, 2004
  9. Robert

    ArtKramr Guest

    >Subject: Re: E-Machine opinion
    >From: "Rob-J"
    >Date: 2/2/04 6:17 AM Pacific Standard Time
    >
    >Take the word of a tech, you get what you pay for. Sure. some people will
    >get one which works great but majority will be unstatisfied. They are cheap
    >Korean made which makes getting a good system a crap shoot. I would never
    >look at price as a deciding factor when purchasing a computer. Support and
    >quality pays a large roll. If you get a system and save $200 to $300 what
    >good is it if you have to spend hours on the phone with technical support
    >and eventually having to send the system in for repairs. Now you are out
    >without a computer for two weeks. Then you get the system back and BINGO it
    >fails again!
    >
    >Bottom line. it's your money and you spend it the way you see fit.
    >
    >Good luck
    >

    >"Trent©" <> wrote in message
    >> On Sun, 01 Feb 2004 15:56:07 GMT, Robert <> wrote:
    >>
    >> >I am thinking of purchasing an E-machines S2485 Computer in Sam's.
    >> >Anybody have any experience with there computers?

    >> They're as good as any...probably better than most.
    >>
    >> Go for it!! You won't be disappointed.
    >>

    >> Have a nice week...
    >>
    >> Trent
    >>
    >> Follow Joan Rivers' example --- get pre-embalmed!

    I have been using Dell. Is any commonly available brand better?

    Arthur Kramer
    344th BG 494th BS
    Visit my WW II B-26 website at:
    http://www.coastcomp.com/artkramer

    ArtKramr, Feb 2, 2004
  10. Robert

    Rob-J Guest

    Dell was pretty good, but their support has gone down hill ever since they
    moved a majority of their support operation to India. But I still think they
    are better than Gateway and a hell of a lot better than E-machine.

    Rob-J, Feb 2, 2004
  11. Robert

    Trent© Guest

    On Mon, 2 Feb 2004 08:17:04 -0600, "Rob-J" <> wrote:

    >Take the word of a tech, you get what you pay for. Sure. some people will
    >get one which works great but majority will be unstatisfied. They are cheap
    >Korean made which makes getting a good system a crap shoot.

    Those damn Koreans again! Go figure!!

    >I would never
    >look at price as a deciding factor when purchasing a computer. Support and
    >quality pays a large roll.

    If you get good quality...why would you need good support?

    >If you get a system and save $200 to $300 what
    >good is it if you have to spend hours on the phone with technical support
    >and eventually having to send the system in for repairs. Now you are out
    >without a computer for two weeks. Then you get the system back and BINGO it
    >fails again!

    Do all the parts come from Korea, Rob?...mainboard, etc.

    >Bottom line. it's your money and you spend it the way you see fit.
    >
    >Good luck

    Millions have followed yer advice...so it definitely must be good
    advice!!

    Have a nice week...

    Trent

    Trent©, Feb 3, 2004
  12. Robert

    Mikey Guest

    Uninstalling Winme from a E-Machine

    Okay don't laugh but this is a problem that I have come across
    As some may know I have a emachine t-1801 that sucks I have been
    trying to uninstall winme to install 98 BUT I cannot do it from the
    control panel because the system freezes up before it fully loads
    windows. Have tried it from safe mode but winme doesn't show up in
    the remove program windows in safe mode and have tried from DOS but
    when I enter the uninstall command it tells me I cannot use this
    command in DOS so any suggestions??

    Mikey, Feb 29, 2004
  13. Robert

    Alex Devlin Guest

    Re: Uninstalling Winme from a E-Machine

    On 29 Feb 2004, Mikey wrote:

    > Okay don't laugh but this is a problem that I have come across
    > As some may know I have a emachine t-1801 that sucks I have been
    > trying to uninstall winme to install 98 BUT I cannot do it from the
    > control panel because the system freezes up before it fully loads
    > windows. Have tried it from safe mode but winme doesn't show up in
    > the remove program windows in safe mode and have tried from DOS but
    > when I enter the uninstall command it tells me I cannot use this
    > command in DOS so any suggestions??

    The best option would be to format the drive and do a clean install of
    98.

    If you have data that you want to keep and can't put it onto another
    drive or a CD then try deleting the windows folder (from DOS) then
    install 98. Any programmes you have installed just now will need to be
    installed again anyway as changing the OS will screw them up.

    If you're running winme as your OS and trying to uninstall it while in
    winme then that has caused you a lot of problems. You're trying to delete
    a programme you're currently using.

    --
    Alex Devlin

    Good friends will bail you out of jail...
    ... True friends will be sitting there with you saying "Damn. That was
    fun!"

    Alex Devlin, Feb 29, 2004
  14. Robert

    Wizard Guest

    Re: Uninstalling Winme from a E-Machine

    Format c:

    Wizard, Feb 29, 2004
  15. Robert

    Professor Guest

    Re: Uninstalling Winme from a E-Machine

    If you have a way of saving your data and if you have the motherboard disk
    with all the drivers for soundcard and graphics card and whatever else is on
    the machine, you could do a reformat and start from scratch.

    Professor, Mar 7, 2004