    could glean here from my new gurus would also be most appreciated.

    Again, thank you all.

    PS what style frame does a cert look best in (hehe)?

    USAbison, Apr 14, 2008

  2. USAbison

    Joseph Guest

    I have found that the Press Books are more of a guide....and I have avoided
    them alltogether. One of the problems is that the Microsoft Exam questions
    could be anything that deals with that particular product.

    I was using Windows XP when it originally came out, and you will have to
    take my word for it that I had used the hell out of that OS. I took the
    MCDST exams in 2005, I passed but I didn't get 1000/1000 on the exam.

    Your best bet is to skip the Press Books, go to the Microsoft Learning Exam
    site and then look at the topics and subtopics that are covered.

    Then, use the Microsoft website search (and Technet) to find the topics and
    read them....msot of the items in Technet covered what I was tested on the
    exam and to my suprise, were very easy to read...much better in specifics
    than with the Press Books.

    Also, get a copy of VMWare or Microsoft Virtual PC and load up a XP image.
    As you go to each topic on the exam site, learn everything thing you can by
    using the Loaded image, go through all the steps, look at all the options.

    One fo the good things about the exams is that you can rule out alot of
    questions and 9 times out of 10 you can take your time.

    Joseph, Apr 17, 2008

  3. USAbison

    Shane Guest

    I just took the exam today!! What a busy week there is about 20 student who
    took the instructor led course with the 2261B book from Microsoft. So we had
    3 day of instruction then the test. we also use Test King and Measure Up for
    the pratice exams. Most of us have a few years in the IT field... The Test
    King pratice exams followed the 20-271 exam, If you can get past the english,
    Measure up made you think about the question and figure out what they
    wanted...

    The 70-271 exam! Don't read to much into the question and think about the
    Microsoft way of doing things, everyone knows there are 10 diffrent way to do
    something in Windows Xp but think about the way the book and the practice
    exams showed you.

    The test I took today was 49 questions with 5 beta questions that didn't
    count and you had 2 hour time limit and passing was a 700. I had about 40
    mins remaining.

    Don't rush take your time read the question!

    Shane, Apr 18, 2008
  4. USAbison

    Shane Guest

    By the way I take the 70-272 exam this weekend!

    Shane, Apr 18, 2008
  5. USAbison

    TBone Guest

    And on the eigth day <> did cause the

    > I just took the exam today!! What a busy week there is about 20
    > student who took the instructor led course with the 2261B book from
    > Microsoft. So we had 3 day of instruction then the test. we also use
    > Test King and Measure Up for the pratice exams. Most of us have a few
    > years in the IT field... The Test King pratice exams followed the
    > 20-271 exam, If you can get past the english, Measure up made you
    > think about the question and figure out what they wanted...

    Interesting. Where did you take your course? Would you recommend it?

    -------

    T-Bone
    MCNGP XL

    TBone, Apr 18, 2008
  6. USAbison

    Shane Guest

    Absolutely NOT! If it wasn't for deadline from my employer I wouldn't do
    it!! So much information in such a short time if we didn't have the
    experience with Windows XP, Networking, Security and Help Desk operations I
    don't think a lot of people would have passed. The instructor is very good
    and has a way of explaining things very well.

    Shane, Apr 18, 2008
  7. USAbison

    TBone Guest

    And on the eigth day <> did cause the

    > Absolutely NOT! If it wasn't for deadline from my employer I wouldn't
    > do it!! So much information in such a short time if we didn't have the
    > experience with Windows XP, Networking, Security and Help Desk
    > operations I don't think a lot of people would have passed. The
    > instructor is very good and has a way of explaining things very well.

    I would agree that boot camps are not for everyone. What I was asking
    though is where you took the course and who your instructor was. Just in
    case someone else wants to go there and get the same person.

    Thanks

    -------

    T-Bone
    MCNGP XL

    TBone, Apr 21, 2008
  8. USAbison

    Shane Guest

    Hi TBone.

    I just passed the 70-272 exam. So in just one week I became a MCDST! I think
    the 272 exam was harder than the 271 due to the fact that there are so many
    ways of doing things in Windows Xp! and who uses Outlook Express! I haven't
    use Outlook Express for about 6 years now... I am in the Military so we did
    the class on post and we contracted out with Executrain for the instructor
    and testing and I believe the instructors name is Mr. Stephen Freed.

    My next step is to retake the Security + exam. It kind of kicked my butt
    last time, I did fine on the tech side but the Operational / Organizational
    Security and Basics of Cryptography did me in.

    Shane, Apr 22, 2008
  9. USAbison

    TBone Guest

    And on the eigth day <> did cause the

    > we contracted out with
    > Executrain for the instructor and testing and I believe the
    > instructors name is Mr. Stephen Freed.

    That's exactly what I needed to know. Thanks, I'll put that to good use.

    -------

    T-Bone
    MCNGP XL

    TBone, Apr 22, 2008
  10. USAbison

    PAJ Guest

    On Tue, 22 Apr 2008 08:04:39 -0700, TBone <reply2me@thenewsgroup> wrote:

    >And on the eigth day <> did cause the
    >electrons to come together and form the following words:
    >
    >> we contracted out with
    >> Executrain for the instructor and testing and I believe the
    >> instructors name is Mr. Stephen Freed.

    >That's exactly what I needed to know. Thanks, I'll put that to good use.

    "Ohh you are naughty... but I like you" - Dick Emery

    PAJ, Apr 22, 2008
  11. USAbison

    John R Guest

    "Shane" <> wrote in message

    > we contracted out with Executrain for the instructor
    > and testing and I believe the instructors name is Mr. Stephen Freed.

    Just one more question Shane if you don't mind. *ALL* of the training
    materials that you used were supplied by Executrain? Or did they recommend
    that you go out and spend more money and get some on your own the way some
    fly-by-night training places do?

    John R

    John R, Apr 22, 2008
  12. USAbison

    Shane Guest

    Executrain supplied everything except the classroom and the computers. I did
    take the A+ course at Executrain and all you had to do was show up.

    Shane, Apr 23, 2008
  13. My question to you Shane, is if Executrain supplied everything, how do you know
    the study materials were T3stking?

    The reason I ask is because some people will generically label any "Q&A" as
    t3stkings. Were those actual t3stkings that executrain handed out, or were they
    just a standard question & answer set?

    Aside from that, did you see those practice questions on the 70-271 exam you
    took?

    Thanks for the help!

    Rob

    Robert Williams [CertGuard], Apr 24, 2008
  14. USAbison

    Shane Guest

    Rob.
    All study materials supplied from Executrain are from Microsoft. Executrain
    did not supply any illegal or questionable prep exams.

    After dong some more research about Test King and the lawsuit between
    Microsoft vs. Test King which was settled in Aug 2006. I see why people get
    excited when you mention Test King and Brain Dumps.

    I don't know if this is the right forum to be discussing this subject due to
    the fact that you can lose you certification. If this is not true then why
    would the CEO of Cert Guard be afraid of spelling out Test King in a
    Microsoft Forum?

    Don't get me wrong Cert Guard looks like a great corporation but who puts
    Cert Guard in check? How does Cert Guard determine which web site is a brain
    dump or is a legit exam prep/certification vendor? If Cert Guard is black
    listing sites what are the check and balances?

    I do not endorse cheating, brain dumps or IT Scams and I too want to ensure
    that certifications keep their integrity.

    To get back to your question; Executrain did not provide me with any Test
    King materials they used the Q&A set that was on the CD which came with the
    books 2261B and 2262C from Microsoft.

    I did not see any practice questions on the 70-271 or the 70-272 exams.
    There are some questions that were similar but not exactly.

    I know this post will stir stuff up!!

    Shane, Apr 29, 2008