    you with the books can only be used once? I can go on but will stop here as
    this is my first query.

    Thanks for all your help!

    Gemi, Feb 3, 2007

  2. Gemi

    Richard Guest

    Lots of ground to cover here, I'll start with this.

    Read through previous post and responses in this newsgroup, many
    of your questions can be answered along with new information you may
    not yet know.

    Go here and read among other things the January 21 post.
    http://yetanotherblog.typepad.com/theclassroom/

    Good luck in your quest King Author

    Richard

    Richard, Feb 3, 2007

  3. Read my post "How I study"

    Keith Chilton, Feb 3, 2007
  4. Gemi

    John R Guest

    "Gemi" <> wrote in message
    >I am so glad I found this group. I want/need to get MCDST certified for
    >work.
    > I have been debating on which route to go; instructor lead or self paced
    > e-learning. Since I am paying for this myself the e-learning would be my
    > first option. I did purchase the MCDST Self-Training Kit for 70-271 and
    > 70-272, they are on the way. I am still struggling with which to do and
    > was
    > wondering if anyone can give me some insight. Is the instructor lead more
    > in
    > depth? Would I get more out of it, prepare me for the exam better? It's a
    > $1500. savings if I go with the self learning.
    > I was told there are sites wit hpractice exams but was not sure which are
    > good prep ones for the exam. How long should I allow beofre taking the
    > exam,
    > iwas thinking I would be able to be done in a months time but am starting
    > think that is not the case. Is it true that the practice exam that they
    > give
    > you with the books can only be used once? I can go on but will stop here
    > as
    > this is my first query.
    >

    > Thanks for all your help!

    It is difficult for us to guess at your skill level to begin with. I passed
    both exams within 30 days of the time I was told that it would be required.
    However, I had several years under my belt doing MCDST duties, along with
    posting on another website's tech support forum almost nightly. For 272, I
    simply reviewed a study guide, and took the test. For 271, I got the
    MSPress book, read it, played with the practice test that came with it, and
    scored very well on the test. Again, I had several years experience.

    As far as the actual exam, test taking skills are at least as important as
    exam knowledge. That is, know how to eliminate wrong answers, and when
    presented with more than one right answer, ask yourself why both are listed?
    For example, you wouldn't give a user full control permission on an
    important shared folder when all that user needed was read. So if a
    question posed 'A' as full control, 'B' as modify, and 'C' as read, each of
    those answers would accomplish the task of allowing the user to read the
    folder. However, 'C' is best. You have to be able to pick that out of the
    question.

    That's another test taking skill, reading the question (not just skimming
    because you see that clock in the corner of the screen) and understanding
    what they are asking.

    Since you've ordered the MSPRESS materials, why not read the first book, see
    how well you do with the readiness review tests that are included, and maybe
    even attempt the first test before deciding to spend $1500?

    If you feel you need instructor led training, then by all means do so. Only
    you know your current skill level.

    John
    MCDST, MCSA, and one exam to go for MCSE.

    John R, Feb 3, 2007
  5. Gemi

    John R Guest

    "Gemi" <> wrote in message
    > Is it true that the practice exam that they give
    > you with the books can only be used once?

    No, that is not true. Generally, there are about 300 questions included in
    the practice exam software, and you can do as many questions on each exam as
    you like, and you can do as many exams as you like. However, if you do many
    many practice exams, at some point you start to memorize questions and you
    start asking yourself if you really know that answer or if you just remember
    it because you've seen it 5 times before.

    John R, Feb 3, 2007
  6. Gemi

    Rowan Guest

    I got the MS Press books, but I didn't use the 70-271 book (I should have), I
    scheduled the exam, took it and passed but I have over 15yrs (started with
    8088/8086 machines) but I was not happy with my score. I knew what to expect
    as I had taken and failed 70-282. I am using the second book and will be
    better prepped for 70-272. I already feel more confident about the test. I
    spent money on a classroom for 70-282 and still failed. Try the self learning
    path first, buy the exam insurance, take the exam. If you fail you will know
    your weak spots and can decide then if $1500 is worth it. As John said
    testing skills are very important (I am not good with tests) so use the
    testing prep with the books.
    Good Luck with your prep.
    Rowan

    Rowan, Feb 4, 2007