    - Confirm card's validity

    The host I am with currently used to be able to do this but their system
    no longer works as it should.

    Mrs Beeble Brock, May 5, 2004

  2. Mrs Beeble Brock

    Chris Hope Guest

    Mrs Beeble Brock wrote:

    > Is there any way to have credit card details transmitted to me by
    > clients which:
    >
    > - Are encrypted for client security
    > - Confirm card's validity
    >
    > The host I am with currently used to be able to do this but their system
    > no longer works as it should.

    Which platform and programming language?

    Also, there doesn't appear to be an nz.gen list which you cross-posted to. I
    think you were probably meaning nz.general although judging from the name
    of this group it may not be a suitable forum for this type of question.
    You'd be better cross-posting to the groups which deal with the programming
    language which your host supports.

    --
    Chris Hope
    The Electric Toolbox - http://www.electrictoolbox.com/

    Chris Hope, May 5, 2004

  3. Hi Chris, I'm not sure what language or platform the webmaster uses. He
    recommended the old system which has disabled the validation component.
    I'm trying to get recommendations for alternatives. I guess it would
    have to be something run by one of our banks.

    Cheers,

    Mrs Beeble Brock, May 5, 2004
  4. Mrs Beeble Brock

    Max Guest

    I doubt it is connected to a banking system, as you are receiving the
    details and processing these manually via your merchant account? There
    is a special algorithm that can check the cards validity. dps may be
    able to help

    Max, May 5, 2004
  5. Mrs Beeble Brock

    Chris Hope Guest

    Max wrote:

    > I doubt it is connected to a banking system, as you are receiving the
    > details and processing these manually via your merchant account? There
    > is a special algorithm that can check the cards validity. dps may be
    > able to help

    There are freely available algorithms available, which if not already
    available for the language the site uses can usually be fairly easily
    ported.

    Encrypting and decrypting can be done using GPG or similar, but again this
    depends on the platform and languages available.

    If you can post the website address and/or host's address I can tell you
    what they are capable of using and then perhaps we can provide you with the
    answer, or at least point you in the right direction.

    Chris Hope, May 5, 2004
  6. Hi Max, thanks for your reply.
    The previous programme was run by 2Day. It used to validate cards
    through the BNZ but they've just stopped offering this service.

    Not sure what you mean by dps sorry.

    Mrs Beeble Brock, May 5, 2004
  7. Hi Chris, thanks for your reply. Since they are no longer offering the
    validation service, I'm not sure how much use this link will be:

    http://www.2day.com/Services/securecardframe.cfm

    Cheers,

    Mrs Beeble Brock, May 5, 2004
  8. Mrs Beeble Brock

    Chris Hope Guest

    Mrs Beeble Brock wrote:

    > Hi Chris, thanks for your reply. Since they are no longer offering the
    > validation service, I'm not sure how much use this link will be:
    >
    > http://www.2day.com/Services/securecardframe.cfm

    It looks like they support both ASP old and ASP.NET (assuming you are
    actually hosting with 2Day). I'm sure there are CC validation routines for
    both development types. As far as getting the CC details to you there are a
    couple of options.

    1) Your site saves the details to the database and you then retrieve them in
    an SSL secured session.

    2) The details are encrypted (using something like GPG) and then sent by
    email. This may or may not be possible with ASP old / .NET - I have some
    experience with both but not enough to be able to answer this.

    Chris Hope, May 5, 2004
  9. Mrs Beeble Brock

    Max Guest

    On Wed, 05 May 2004 13:56:50 +1200, Mrs Beeble Brock
    <> wrote:

    >Hi Max, thanks for your reply.
    >The previous programme was run by 2Day. It used to validate cards
    >through the BNZ but they've just stopped offering this service.
    >
    >Not sure what you mean by dps sorry.

    DPS is a company that deal with credit cards, at http://dps.co.nz/,
    and I think they might have something similar to 2day.

    Max, May 5, 2004
  10. Thanks Max - I'll forward the link to our webmaster.

    Cheers,

    Mrs Beeble Brock, May 5, 2004
  11. Hi Chris, thanks. It's actual validation I'm after rather than just
    secure transmission. DPS may be the answer.

    Cheers,

    Mrs Beeble Brock, May 5, 2004
  12. Mrs Beeble Brock

    Chris Hope Guest

    Mrs Beeble Brock wrote:

    > Hi Chris, thanks. It's actual validation I'm after rather than just
    > secure transmission. DPS may be the answer.

    You mean you want real-time credit card processing? That's different from
    validation. Validation only checks to see if a card number is valid, not
    whether it is an actual card or has enough credit available.

    Chris

    Chris Hope, May 5, 2004
  13. Mrs Beeble Brock

    Gurble Guest

    On Wed, 05 May 2004 14:15:12 +1200, Chris Hope
    <> wrote:

    >1) Your site saves the details to the database and you then retrieve them in
    >an SSL secured session

    And, of course, they are saved in a highly encrypted format in the
    database. Otherwise, a hacker just has to get access to the database
    to retrieve credit card details...

    Gurble, May 5, 2004
  14. I'm talking to DPS and they offer validation as well as actual payment.
    If you know of anyone who offers just validation then I'd also be
    interestd in that.

    Mrs Beeble Brock, May 6, 2004