    you cant use the builtin flash with the wide angle lense attached and its
    not as powerful as an external strobe.

    thanks please email any help to

    Kenneth Oakman, Dec 17, 2003

  2. Kenneth Oakman

    Argon3 Guest

    I have used a vivitar 285 flash unit in the hot shoe of my e10...no TTL but I
    just adjust the image by taking a few shots and seeing where the exposure is
    at. Hasn't zotzed the camera yet but I have been advised to look into the
    Safe-Sync (?) from Wein which goes into the hot shoe between the camera and
    flash and provides a buffer for the trigger voltage...it's priced at about
    fifty bucks.
    The e10 manual (just looked at it) has a section about using non OEM flashes
    but doesn't say anything about potential damage from a higher trigger voltage.
    I've also read this newgroup for a while and haven't seen any posts from people
    bitching that a flash unit fried their e10...take that with a grain of salt.
    Good luck getting any tech suppport from Olympus because they are remarkably
    bad about answering ANY questions.
    One line of logic is that the older the strobe, the higher the trigger
    voltage...older SLR's with minimal electronics were at a low risk of frying
    out, the newer auto everything ones were more delicate and required a lower
    trigger voltage. The XD-11 was, if I recall, one of their pre-auto-everything
    models and thus MAY have a higher trigger voltage...you'd have to look it up
    somewhere...if you still have the manual, the data may be in there.
    (sorry for the perhaps overlong answer)
    I have worked around the problem in the past by putting a more powerful flash
    unit in my stroboframe bracket and putting a hot shoe slave trigger on it...no
    physical connection to the camera and when the itty-bitty on camera unit fires,
    the slave makes the unit in the bracket go off. Again, you have to test this
    method out and take a few shots to get the settings on the camera correct (I
    use the camera in MANUAL mode for this)...but you've got "instant feedback" on
    the lcd screen, so you got that goin' for ya.

    best of luck

    argon

    Argon3, Dec 17, 2003

  3. Kenneth Oakman

    Dan Sullivan Guest

    "Argon3" <> wrote in message
    > I have used a vivitar 285 flash unit in the hot shoe of my e10...no TTL

    but I
    > just adjust the image by taking a few shots and seeing where the exposure

    is
    > at. Hasn't zotzed the camera yet but I have been advised to look into the
    > Safe-Sync (?) from Wein which goes into the hot shoe between the camera

    and
    > flash and provides a buffer for the trigger voltage...it's priced at about
    > fifty bucks.

    A 285 would have to be REEEEEAL old to have the higher triggering voltage.

    Your cam needs under 10 to not get smoked.

    Apparently your 285 is low volt otherwise.... you'd have smelled something
    funny and expen$ive.

    The way to check the triggering voltage on a strobe is to turn it on and
    read the DC voltage on the contacts of the hot shoe.

    I use a 20 year old flash with my E-20 on the shoe.

    Set the cam to 80 iso and manual for the shut speed (125) and f-stop and set
    whatever the f-stop on the flash recommends.

    Your flash picts will look better if you put a white diffuser over the
    flash.

    An Ultrabounce ($16) from Lumiquest will adapt to almost every strobe made.

    And if you get a different flash chances are it'll fit it too.

    Have fun, Dan

    Dan Sullivan, Dec 17, 2003
  4. "Dan Sullivan" <> writes:

    > "Argon3" <> wrote in message
    > > I have used a vivitar 285 flash unit in the hot shoe of my e10...no TTL

    > but I
    > > just adjust the image by taking a few shots and seeing where the exposure

    > is
    > > at. Hasn't zotzed the camera yet but I have been advised to look into the
    > > Safe-Sync (?) from Wein which goes into the hot shoe between the camera

    > and
    > > flash and provides a buffer for the trigger voltage...it's priced at about
    > > fifty bucks.

    > A 285 would have to be REEEEEAL old to have the higher triggering voltage.
    >
    > Your cam needs under 10 to not get smoked.

    I believe Olympus claimed that the E-10 and E-20 had voltage protection built
    in, so you may be safe on this model (but not any random camera model).
    However, since I don't own an E-10/E-20 and don't speak for Olympus, take it
    with a grain of salt.

    --
    Michael Meissner
    email:

    Michael Meissner, Dec 19, 2003
  5. Kenneth Oakman

    Dan Sullivan Guest

    "Michael Meissner" <> wrote in message
    > "Dan Sullivan" <> writes:
    >
    > > "Argon3" <> wrote in message
    > > > I have used a vivitar 285 flash unit in the hot shoe of my e10...no

    TTL
    > > but I
    > > > just adjust the image by taking a few shots and seeing where the

    exposure
    > > is
    > > > at. Hasn't zotzed the camera yet but I have been advised to look into

    the
    > > > Safe-Sync (?) from Wein which goes into the hot shoe between the

    camera
    > > and
    > > > flash and provides a buffer for the trigger voltage...it's priced at

    about
    > > > fifty bucks.

    > > A 285 would have to be REEEEEAL old to have the higher triggering

    voltage.

    > > Your cam needs under 10 to not get smoked.

    > I believe Olympus claimed that the E-10 and E-20 had voltage protection

    built
    > in, so you may be safe on this model (but not any random camera model).
    > However, since I don't own an E-10/E-20 and don't speak for Olympus, take

    it
    > with a grain of salt.

    I heard that too.

    But why chance it?

    Dan Sullivan, Dec 19, 2003
  6. Kenneth Oakman

    DSphotog Guest

    Hi,

    This is a quote straight from the Olympus support FAQ page:

    22.) Should I be concerned about sync switching voltage from my studio
    strobes or flash units

    No, the E-10/20N has a built in filter that protects the camera from high
    switching voltage.

    Hope this helps.

    DSphotog, Dec 19, 2003