    but never on any remote compters (friends)

    Any advice appreciated..

    Cheers Peter...

    Peter, Feb 15, 2006

  2. Peter

    JohnO Guest

    Peter wrote:
    > Hi
    >
    > Has anyone had luck with this service.. I'm on woosh and have not been able
    > to get this service running. My page has appeared on my local computer ..
    > but never on any remote compters (friends)
    >
    > Any advice appreciated..
    >

    > Cheers Peter...
    >

    > *** Free account sponsored by SecureIX.com ***
    > *** Encrypt your Internet usage with a free VPN account from http://www.SecureIX.com ***

    It works for me.

    You need to run some sort of client on your local computer to advise
    the dyndns service of your current WAN IP. In my case, my Netgear ADSL
    Modem/Router/Wifi unit knows about dyndns and does this automagically.
    Otherwise you need to download a dyndns client and run it on your pc.

    Have you opened up the required ports on your firewall?

    JohnO, Feb 15, 2006

  3. Peter

    Peter Guest

    Ports .. Thx... Yes dyndsn mentioned the PORTS..

    I have Zone alarm.. I'm looking right now... I'm not too god at this sort of
    thing,..so any other advice on the ports would be fantastic...

    Thx so much for your quick reply..

    Peter, Feb 15, 2006
  4. T'was the Thu, 16 Feb 2006 09:51:59 +1300 when I remembered "Peter"
    <> saying something like this:

    >Hi
    >
    >Has anyone had luck with this service.. I'm on woosh and have not been able
    >to get this service running. My page has appeared on my local computer ..
    >but never on any remote compters (friends)

    You need to go onto the dyndns site *every* time you connect your
    modem up to the net, to put your latest ip address into dyndns's
    database. If you're using Windows (and maybe other operating systems),
    there's a little app available on the dyndns website that will do this
    automatically for you everytime you connect.
    --
    Cheers,

    Waylon Kenning.

    Waylon Kenning, Feb 15, 2006
  5. Peter

    Peter Guest

    Thx so very much guys.... Its was the firewall......

    Yes.. Just got that app... shame we all dont have our own personal IPs...Oh
    well THX

    I'm one happy guy.. Now if I can only get that news server running.. ;)

    Peter, Feb 15, 2006
  6. Peter

    Fred Dagg Guest

    On Thu, 16 Feb 2006 10:14:09 +1300, "Peter" <>
    exclaimed:

    >Yes.. Just got that app... shame we all dont have our own personal IPs...Oh
    >well THX

    Hi, Peter.

    Most of us do have a static IP, because most ISPs give them out (it's
    actually more of a hassle for them to NOT hand out static IPs.

    It is just Xtra who insist on charging for something that costs them
    nothing.

    Fred Dagg, Feb 15, 2006
  7. T'was the Thu, 16 Feb 2006 11:12:58 +1300 when I remembered Fred Dagg
    <> saying something like this:

    >It is just Xtra who insist on charging for something that costs them
    >nothing.

    And Woosh from the looks of it:)
    --
    Cheers,

    Waylon Kenning.

    Waylon Kenning, Feb 15, 2006
  8. Peter

    Peter Guest

    Yes woosh charge for stataic IPs.

    I'm happy with woosh except for one main (BIG) issue.. THEY DONT HAVE OR
    EVER WANT A NEWS SERVER...So I had to pay (one off fee) to get here
    guys....and the botton of my post has adds on it...which I cant stop

    Peter, Feb 15, 2006
  9. Peter

    Alan Guest

    JC posted a free news server a little while ago:

    nntp.aioe.org

    HTH,

    Alan.

    else associated with me.

    My current valid email address is:

    email address.

    ewygchvboocno43vb674b6nq46tvb

    Alan, Feb 16, 2006
  10. Peter

    Steve Guest

    On Thu, 16 Feb 2006 11:12:58 +1300, Fred Dagg wrote:

    > On Thu, 16 Feb 2006 10:14:09 +1300, "Peter" <>
    > exclaimed:
    >

    >>Yes.. Just got that app... shame we all dont have our own personal IPs...Oh
    >>well THX

    > Hi, Peter.
    >
    > Most of us do have a static IP, because most ISPs give them out (it's
    > actually more of a hassle for them to NOT hand out static IPs.

    It's harder to set up a DHCP server than to add specific exceptions to it?
    I don't think so.

    Steve, Feb 16, 2006
  11. Peter

    Steve Guest

    On Thu, 16 Feb 2006 11:35:55 +1300, Peter wrote:

    > Yes woosh charge for stataic IPs.
    >
    > I'm happy with woosh except for one main (BIG) issue.. THEY DONT HAVE OR
    > EVER WANT A NEWS SERVER...So I had to pay (one off fee) to get here
    > guys....and the botton of my post has adds on it...which I cant stop

    Isn't this ng on google groups then?

    Steve, Feb 16, 2006
  12. Peter

    EMB Guest

    Steve wrote:
    > On Thu, 16 Feb 2006 11:12:58 +1300, Fred Dagg wrote:

    >>Most of us do have a static IP, because most ISPs give them out (it's
    >>actually more of a hassle for them to NOT hand out static IPs.

    > It's harder to set up a DHCP server than to add specific exceptions to it?
    > I don't think so.

    It's extemely easy to put a reservation into a DHCP server.

    --
    EMB

    EMB, Feb 16, 2006
  13. Peter

    Shane Guest

    On 2006-02-16, EMB <> wrote:
    > Steve wrote:
    >> On Thu, 16 Feb 2006 11:12:58 +1300, Fred Dagg wrote:

    >>>Most of us do have a static IP, because most ISPs give them out (it's
    >>>actually more of a hassle for them to NOT hand out static IPs.

    >> It's harder to set up a DHCP server than to add specific exceptions to it?
    >> I don't think so.

    > It's extemely easy to put a reservation into a DHCP server.

    <wild speculation>
    My thoughts were Telecom used Dynamic IP's because at one time they couldnt
    cap you unless they changed your IP
    </wild speculation>
    But with woosh at it....?

    Shane, Feb 16, 2006
  14. Peter

    Steve Guest

    On Thu, 16 Feb 2006 17:07:03 +1300, EMB wrote:

    > Steve wrote:
    >> On Thu, 16 Feb 2006 11:12:58 +1300, Fred Dagg wrote:

    >>>Most of us do have a static IP, because most ISPs give them out (it's
    >>>actually more of a hassle for them to NOT hand out static IPs.

    >> It's harder to set up a DHCP server than to add specific exceptions to it?
    >> I don't think so.

    > It's extemely easy to put a reservation into a DHCP server.

    1. Depends on the software
    2. No matter what, it's harder than not putting a reservation...

    Steve, Feb 16, 2006
  15. Peter

    Enkidu Guest

    Fred Dagg wrote:
    > On Thu, 16 Feb 2006 10:14:09 +1300, "Peter" <>
    > exclaimed:
    >

    >>Yes.. Just got that app... shame we all dont have our own personal IPs...Oh
    >>well THX

    > Most of us do have a static IP, because most ISPs give them out (it's
    > actually more of a hassle for them to NOT hand out static IPs.

    Rubbish. To assign a fixed IP address you have to put an entry into a
    file. To allow a user a dynamic IP address you do nothing.

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    Enkidu, Feb 16, 2006
  16. Peter

    Enkidu Guest

    EMB wrote:
    > Steve wrote:
    >
    >> On Thu, 16 Feb 2006 11:12:58 +1300, Fred Dagg wrote:

    >>> Most of us do have a static IP, because most ISPs give them out (it's
    >>> actually more of a hassle for them to NOT hand out static IPs.

    >> It's harder to set up a DHCP server than to add specific exceptions to
    >> it? I don't think so.

    > It's extemely easy to put a reservation into a DHCP server.

    It's easier to do nothing.

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    Enkidu, Feb 16, 2006
  17. Peter

    Peter Guest

    I use a news reader not Google!!! Its only abouot 50 times faster.. And
    works off line way better... I also am subscribed and read heaps of other
    groups..

    Peter, Feb 16, 2006
  18. Peter

    Dave Taylor Guest

    Dave Taylor, Feb 16, 2006
  19. Peter

    EMB Guest

    Enkidu wrote:
    > EMB wrote:

    >> It's extemely easy to put a reservation into a DHCP server.
    >>

    > It's easier to do nothing.

    Depends on the application - try letting a print server use a dynamic IP
    addy. :p

    --
    EMB

    EMB, Feb 16, 2006
  20. Peter

    Tony Guest

    EMB wrote:
    > Enkidu wrote:
    >> EMB wrote:

    >>> It's extemely easy to put a reservation into a DHCP server.
    >>>

    >> It's easier to do nothing.

    > Depends on the application - try letting a print server use a dynamic IP
    > addy. :p

    Ah, guys, ISP's do not use DHCP to assign ip addresses. It's a function
    of Radius "ip pools" and whatever billing system the ISP is using.

    Tony, Feb 16, 2006