    speaks PPPoE, why doesn't it speak DynDNS?

    Regards

    fw

    Frank Winkler, Mar 19, 2007

  2. On Mon, 19 Mar 2007 09:56:30 +0100, Frank Winkler
    <> wrote:

    >Hi there !
    >
    >Some of the "small" routers (800) seem to have learned DynDNS - but what
    >about the bigger models or even PIX/ASA? As my consumer DSL router really
    >begins to suck, I'm thinking about using the planned ASA 5505 as the DSL
    >gateway. But how can I do the DynDNS update then?
    >Yes, there are clients for various OSes but that would imply digging out
    >the WAN address etc. The best place is the router itself - and if the ASA
    >speaks PPPoE, why doesn't it speak DynDNS?
    >
    >Regards
    >
    > fw

    Well, I use ZoneEdit DNS, which the Linksys routers don't
    support.

    I have a little client service installed on my computer called
    DynDNS from Sitedevelopers (http://www.sitedevelopers.com). It
    monitors the public IP address on my router and updates ZoneEdit when
    that public IP address changes. It was a fifteen dollar program and
    supports quite a long list of dynamic DNS hosting services including
    ZoneEdit.

    There is a free trial version which only supports one domain
    or subdomain if you want to evaluate it.

    Regards,

    Fred

    Fred Atkinson, Mar 19, 2007