    Hi,

    you're probably familiar with this router emulator. My question is, is there
    a GUI for Windows? Something for making your own lab topology? Thanks.

    SS, Jan 14, 2007

  2. SS

    Guest

    SS wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > you're probably familiar with this router emulator. My question is, is there
    > a GUI for Windows? Something for making your own lab topology? Thanks.

    The config file is very easy to use and the documents reasonable clear.
    I understand that there is a GUI but I don't
    know what is does or what platforms are supported.

    Here is a complete *.net file for a 5 router lab that I used for some
    OSPF work.

    You only have to specify a link once which is nice.

    The files below are the total, complete and exact config.
    It really is VERY easy to use.

    The only issue that I had was memory. I would suggest trying a
    3600 first since you can have more routers on a single PC that
    way I would guess. Also only use the IOS that you need.

    # Simple lab

    #
    # \Device\NPF_{0325987F-4C34-4972-8F1C-CD3708}: Compaq Ethernet/Fast
    Ethernet Adapter/Module (Microsoft's Packet Scheduler)
    # \Device\NPF_{554899B0-FAF8-4DFE-9ED2-D0562F}: Broadcom NetXtreme
    Gigabit Ethernet Driver (Microsoft's Packet Scheduler)

    [localhost]

    [[7200]]

    idlepc = 0x6096da00
    image = \PROGRA~1\Dynamips\images\C7200-IS.bin
    # On Linux / Unix use forward slashes:
    # image = /opt/7200-images/c7200-jk9o3s-mz.124-7a.image
    npe = npe-400
    ram = 160

    [[ROUTER R1]]
    s1/0 = R3 s1/0
    s1/1 = R2 s1/1
    F0/0 = NIO_gen_eth:\Device\NPF_{554899B0-FAF8-4DFE-9ED2-D0562F}

    [[router R2]]
    # No need to specify an adapter here for s1/1, it is taken care of
    # by the interface specification under Router R1
    s1/0 = R4 s1/0

    [[router R3]]
    s1/1 = R4 s1/1
    s1/2 = R4 s1/2
    s1/4 = R5 s1/4

    [[router R4]]
    s1/5 = R5 s1/5

    [[router R5]]

    ##########################
    ##########################
    Here is another config with a frame relay switch too.
    Uses 2 PCs to distribute the simulation load.
    No it's not but just by changing the IP Address it would be.
    It is to run two instances of dynamips on one PC to work aroung the
    Windows 2G per process meemory limit.

    # \Device\NPF_{0325987F-4C34-4972-8F1C-CD37}: Compaq Ethernet/Fast
    Ethernet Adapter/Module (Microsoft's Packet Scheduler)
    # \Device\NPF_{554899B0-FAF8-4DFE-9ED2-D0562}: Broadcom NetXtreme
    Gigabit Ethernet Driver (Microsoft's Packet Scheduler)

    [localhost]

    [[7200]]

    ############ begin ############
    idlepc = 0x60848a38
    image = \PROGRA~1\Dynamips\images\C7200-JS.124-8a.BIN
    # With mem=160 has 62M free, 47M largest on unconfigured boot
    # with OLD dynamips
    #
    # Can't get 5 instances with 160 DRAM now. 110 OK.
    # Got 6 instances with 120.
    ############ end ############

    ############ begin ############
    # idlepc = 0x6096da00
    # image = \PROGRA~1\Dynamips\images\C7200-IS.124-8.bin
    ############ end ############
    # On Linux / Unix use forward slashes:
    # image = /opt/7200-images/c7200-jk9o3s-mz.124-7a.image
    npe = npe-400
    ram = 120

    [[ROUTER R1]]
    s1/0 = F1 1
    s1/1 = R2 s1/1
    # F0/0 = NIO_gen_eth:\Device\NPF_{554899B0-FAF8-4DFE-9ED2-D0562}
    F0/0 = R3 F0/0

    [[router R2]]
    # No need to specify an adapter here, it is taken care of
    # by the interface specification under Router R1
    s1/0 = F1 2
    F0/0 = R4 F0/0

    [[router R3]]
    s1/0 = R4 s1/0

    [[router R4]]

    [[router BBR1]]
    s1/0 = F1 3

    [[FRSW F1]]

    1:102 = 2:201
    1:103 = 3:301
    2:203 = 3:302

    # [[router R6]]

    # To use second Dynamips instance : Not necessarily local?? #
    #############################################################for

    # [localhost:7201] # Workaround to allow comms with second Dynamips
    instance
    # to evade running out of 2G address space issue.
    # start /belownormal /min "Dynamips" "dynamips.exe" -H 7200
    # start /belownormal /min "Dynamips" "dynamips.exe" -H 7201

    # udp = 11000 # This set uses base of 11000 instead of default 10000

    , Jan 15, 2007

  3. Hi SS,

    Dynagui

    Graphical front-end written by Yannick Le Teigner.

    It uses Dynagen to communicate with the hypervisor.

    http://dynagui.sourceforge.net/

    Dynagui is a GUI frontend to the dynamips Cisco 7200 router simulator.

    It uses the dyna-gen library in order to communicate with the dynamips
    hypervisor.

    It is currently alpha software, and comes with a lot of bugs.

    Many features still need to be implemented in order to be fully useable
    (delete nodes/links, remove PA, etc...)

    Comments, requests, bug reports are all welcome on the Dynamips GUI
    Frontend Forum:

    Dynagen - The Dynamips Configuration Generator

    http://dyna-gen.sourceforge.net/

    Dynagen by Greg Anuzelli, is a front-end (written in Python) that makes
    lab simulation with the hypervisor very easy: it uses an INI-like
    configuration file to provision Dynamips emulator networks.

    It takes care of specifying the right port adapters, generating and
    matching up those pesky NIO descriptors, specifying bridges,
    frame-relay, ATM switches, etc.

    It also provides a management CLI for listing devices, suspending and
    reloading instances, etc.

    You can also distribute virtual instances across different servers to
    set up complex labs.

    To begin with Dynagen, you can consult this very complete tutorial,
    Dynamips / Dynagen Tutorial:

    http://dyna-gen.sourceforge.net/tutorial.htm

    Sincerely,

    Brad Reese
    2007 Cisco Salary Rates
    http://www.bradreese.com/compensation-database.htm

    www.BradReese.Com, Jan 15, 2007
  4. SS

    Freeride Guest

    On Sun, 14 Jan 2007 17:25:27 -0800, www.BradReese.Com wrote:

    > Dynagui
    >
    > Graphical front-end written by Yannick Le Teigner.

    Its aweful and dont think it runs on Windows.

    Freeride, Jan 15, 2007
  5. SS

    bHD Guest

    which?

    bHD, Jan 15, 2007
  6. SS

    The Man Guest

    SS wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > you're probably familiar with this router emulator. My question is, is there
    > a GUI for Windows? Something for making your own lab topology? Thanks.

    There's DynaGUI but it's in early development. It's written in Python.
    Link is http://dynagui.sourceforge.net/.

    Honestly, I think if you check out this quick start guide you will see
    that you don't need a GUI. The lab topologies are simple texts files.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dynamips#Quick_start_guide

    The Man, Jan 15, 2007
  7. SS

    SS Guest

    Yes, I see now. I'll use config files instead. Thanks

    SS, Jan 15, 2007
  8. SS

    Freeride Guest

    On Mon, 15 Jan 2007 10:57:29 +0100, bHD wrote:

    > which?
    > "Freeride" <> wrote in message
    >> On Sun, 14 Jan 2007 17:25:27 -0800, www.BradReese.Com wrote:
    >>
    >> > Dynagui
    >> >
    >> > Graphical front-end written by Yannick Le Teigner.

    >> Its aweful and dont think it runs on Windows.

    The GUI for Dynagen, tried it out on Linux and did not work to well. Not
    worth the effort.

    Freeride, Jan 16, 2007