    320kbps each, if there is four - 160 each.
    How to do it?

    rzirzi

    rzirzi, Nov 21, 2005

  2. rzirzi

    rzirzi Guest

    No one know how to do it?

    rzirzi, Nov 22, 2005

  3. rzirzi

    DigitalVinyl Guest

    "rzirzi" <> wrote:

    >There is 5 users sharing one DSL connection to Internet (640kbps)
    >with C1721 (IOS12.4), Eth0 WAN FastEth0 LAN.
    >How to dynamically shape banwidth to each user,
    >depending on number users connected to LAN?
    >For instance, if there is 2 users they should have
    >320kbps each, if there is four - 160 each.
    >How to do it?
    >
    >rzirzi

    With such a small sample of users the router will jsut end up giving
    bandwidth to whoever is talking to it. Shaping is most uselfel when
    there are lots of users. Even if five users hit it at the same time
    with a big download, the user with the fastest pc would likely get a
    slighlty bigger chunk.

    CIsco has fair wieght queueing and such, but queue algorithms often
    balance FLOWs not IP addresses. So if one user kicks off 10 downloads,
    then he'll get 10 portions of the circuit.

    DiGiTAL_ViNYL (no email)

    DigitalVinyl, Nov 23, 2005
  4. rzirzi

    rzirzi Guest

    > With such a small sample of users the router will jsut end up giving
    > bandwidth to whoever is talking to it. Shaping is most uselfel when
    > there are lots of users. Even if five users hit it at the same time
    > with a big download, the user with the fastest pc would likely get a
    > slighlty bigger chunk.
    >
    > CIsco has fair wieght queueing and such, but queue algorithms often
    > balance FLOWs not IP addresses. So if one user kicks off 10 downloads,
    > then he'll get 10 portions of the circuit.

    So, how to resolve my problem, to share bandwidth
    evenly on LAN??

    rzirzi

    rzirzi, Nov 23, 2005
  5. In article <dlv1mb$7s0$>, rzirzi <> wrote:
    >No one know how to do it?

    Aside from the difficulty of adjusting bandwidth allocations
    based on the number of users, I suspect you have a far larger
    problem. If this is a typical DSL setup, the heavy bandwidth usage
    is the traffic coming from the DSL provider into your router. By
    the time the traffic gets to your router, the delays have already
    occurred. For some classes of applications, traffic appliances can
    be used to control the flows by regulating the acknowledgements
    heading back out to the sources on the Internet, but you won't
    find that level of application knowledge implemented on typical
    routers. Also, depending on the applications, you may benefit from
    local cacheing, such as Squid.

    Good luck and have fun!
    http://www.networkingunlimited.com

    Vincent C Jones, Nov 23, 2005