    to renew ??

    Best Regards
    BA
    BADAZZ, Jun 3, 2006

  2. BADAZZ

    Toolman Tim Guest

    In news:1q63gh3khrs68$,
    BADAZZ spewed forth:
    > I have a question regarding the dynamic IP adress, wich don´t acctully
    > work, I have had the same IP for a verry long time now, and it´s
    > impossible to renew ??
    >
    > Best Regards
    > BA

    I'm assuming you are referring to an IP address from your ISP? And that you
    are on cable or DSL (broadband)? You would need to ask your ISP what their
    service parameters are.

    For me, if I unplug my cable modem for about 3 or 4 minutes (totally - from
    the network, from the AC, from the cable) it will reboot with a different IP
    address only about 1/3 of the time. Other than that, the ISP "renews" the IP
    lease, and it stays the same indefinately.

    YMMV

    --
    I always finish what I sta
    Toolman Tim, Jun 3, 2006

  3. BADAZZ

    BADAZZ Guest

    On Fri, 2 Jun 2006 18:05:50 -0700, Toolman Tim wrote:

    > In news:1q63gh3khrs68$,
    > BADAZZ spewed forth:
    >> I have a question regarding the dynamic IP adress, wich don´t acctully
    >> work, I have had the same IP for a verry long time now, and it´s
    >> impossible to renew ??
    >>
    >> Best Regards
    >> BA

    > I'm assuming you are referring to an IP address from your ISP? And that you
    > are on cable or DSL (broadband)? You would need to ask your ISP what their
    > service parameters are.
    >
    > For me, if I unplug my cable modem for about 3 or 4 minutes (totally - from
    > the network, from the AC, from the cable) it will reboot with a different IP
    > address only about 1/3 of the time. Other than that, the ISP "renews" the IP
    > lease, and it stays the same indefinately.
    >
    > YMMV

    Howdy Toolman,

    Yupp, ya reed my mind, the wierd thing is that it should work with, an
    advanced release and renew, with netstop and all, but it doesen't, it's
    kinda funny to be forced to make a hardreboot of the modem evrytime ;)

    But I will try, and see what happens....

    BA
    BADAZZ, Jun 3, 2006
  4. BADAZZ

    Toolman Tim Guest

    In news:1n2ecq07byfzq.12yq8vv3h7zfm$,
    BADAZZ spewed forth:
    > On Fri, 2 Jun 2006 18:05:50 -0700, Toolman Tim wrote:
    >
    >> In news:1q63gh3khrs68$,
    >> BADAZZ spewed forth:
    >>> I have a question regarding the dynamic IP adress, wich don´t
    >>> acctully work, I have had the same IP for a verry long time now,
    >>> and it´s impossible to renew ??
    >>>
    >>> Best Regards
    >>> BA

    >> I'm assuming you are referring to an IP address from your ISP? And
    >> that you are on cable or DSL (broadband)? You would need to ask your
    >> ISP what their service parameters are.
    >>
    >> For me, if I unplug my cable modem for about 3 or 4 minutes (totally
    >> - from the network, from the AC, from the cable) it will reboot with
    >> a different IP address only about 1/3 of the time. Other than that,
    >> the ISP "renews" the IP lease, and it stays the same indefinately.
    >>
    >> YMMV

    > Howdy Toolman,
    >
    > Yupp, ya reed my mind, the wierd thing is that it should work with, an
    > advanced release and renew, with netstop and all, but it doesen't,
    > it's kinda funny to be forced to make a hardreboot of the modem
    > evrytime ;)
    >
    > But I will try, and see what happens....

    I don't worry about it much. But there is one web site with a voting
    mechanism for "Basset of the Week" and it prevents multiple votes based on
    IP address. Unfortunately, the people on dialup can vote many many times for
    their favorite dog, and I can only vote once for mine. So my Maggie d'EARest
    never wins <g>

    --
    I always finish what I sta
    Toolman Tim, Jun 3, 2006
  5. BADAZZ

    BADAZZ Guest

    On Fri, 2 Jun 2006 18:16:30 -0700, Toolman Tim wrote:

    > In news:1n2ecq07byfzq.12yq8vv3h7zfm$,
    > BADAZZ spewed forth:
    >> On Fri, 2 Jun 2006 18:05:50 -0700, Toolman Tim wrote:
    >>
    >>> In news:1q63gh3khrs68$,
    >>> BADAZZ spewed forth:

    >>> I'm assuming you are referring to an IP address from your ISP? And
    >>> that you are on cable or DSL (broadband)? You would need to ask your
    >>> ISP what their service parameters are.
    >>>
    >>> For me, if I unplug my cable modem for about 3 or 4 minutes (totally
    >>> - from the network, from the AC, from the cable) it will reboot with
    >>> a different IP address only about 1/3 of the time. Other than that,
    >>> the ISP "renews" the IP lease, and it stays the same indefinately.
    >>>
    >>> YMMV

    >> Howdy Toolman,
    >>
    >> Yupp, ya reed my mind, the wierd thing is that it should work with, an
    >> advanced release and renew, with netstop and all, but it doesen't,
    >> it's kinda funny to be forced to make a hardreboot of the modem
    >> evrytime ;)
    >>
    >> But I will try, and see what happens....
    >>

    > I don't worry about it much. But there is one web site with a voting
    > mechanism for "Basset of the Week" and it prevents multiple votes based on
    > IP address. Unfortunately, the people on dialup can vote many many times for
    > their favorite dog, and I can only vote once for mine. So my Maggie d'EARest
    > never wins <g>

    Heheheh, wata bummer ;)
    BADAZZ, Jun 3, 2006
  6. BADAZZ

    doS Guest

    Dynamic is your isp option, not yours.

    doS, Jun 3, 2006
  7. BADAZZ

    Jeepers Guest

    Hi,

    Your ISP is what is causing you not to loose your IP address, they are
    dynamic meaning that the IP can change but in most cases will not change for
    days even months, and no matter how long you power down that modem it will
    not help, the ISP itself would have to switch you, and most will not do that
    unless there is a problem with the system itself.

    Jeepers, Jun 3, 2006
  8. BADAZZ

    Jerry Attic Guest

    "Toolman Tim" <> said in

    > In news:1n2ecq07byfzq.12yq8vv3h7zfm$,
    > BADAZZ spewed forth:
    >> On Fri, 2 Jun 2006 18:05:50 -0700, Toolman Tim wrote:
    >>
    >>> In news:1q63gh3khrs68$,
    >>> BADAZZ spewed forth:

    >>> I'm assuming you are referring to an IP address from your ISP? And
    >>> that you are on cable or DSL (broadband)? You would need to ask your
    >>> ISP what their service parameters are.
    >>>
    >>> For me, if I unplug my cable modem for about 3 or 4 minutes (totally
    >>> - from the network, from the AC, from the cable) it will reboot with
    >>> a different IP address only about 1/3 of the time. Other than that,
    >>> the ISP "renews" the IP lease, and it stays the same indefinately.
    >>>
    >>> YMMV

    >> Howdy Toolman,
    >>
    >> Yupp, ya reed my mind, the wierd thing is that it should work with,
    >> an advanced release and renew, with netstop and all, but it doesen't,
    >> it's kinda funny to be forced to make a hardreboot of the modem
    >> evrytime ;)
    >>
    >> But I will try, and see what happens....
    >>

    > I don't worry about it much. But there is one web site with a voting
    > mechanism for "Basset of the Week" and it prevents multiple votes
    > based on IP address. Unfortunately, the people on dialup can vote many
    > many times for their favorite dog, and I can only vote once for mine.
    > So my Maggie d'EARest never wins <g>

    I find most high speed access ISPs won't change your IP address unless
    you run some sort of bandwidth eating server. Then they'll keep changing
    till you stop or they TOS your account.

    Jerry Attic, Jun 3, 2006
  9. BADAZZ <> wrote in

    > I have a question regarding the dynamic IP adress, wich don´t
    > acctully work, I have had the same IP for a verry long time now,
    > and it´s impossible to renew ??

    You are assigned an address based on an internet standard called
    Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol (DHCP). This standard is
    published as document "RFC 2131" and can be viewed at:

    http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc2131.html

    It's very dry reading, but if you refer to section 3.2, there is a
    shortcut method used when a client [computer] has had an IP address
    assigned in the past. In short, your computer sends out a broadcast
    saying:
    "Hey, I need an IP Address and BTW last time I had address x.x.x.x"
    The server then checks to see if that address is legal and not
    currently assigned to someone else, and if so, it replies with a:
    "That's cool, keep using that address"

    In addition, servers usually retain the last-used address by a
    particular client and even if the shortcut method above is not used,
    the server will have a strong tendency to reassign that same address
    if it is currently still available.

    So you see that the Protocol itself has a strong preference to
    maintain non-changing addresses. People that get reassigned new
    addresses often are on crowded subnets that get their old IP
    addresses scarfed up quickly once released due to a shortage of
    addresses (or plethora of clients) on that subnet.

    Getting assigned new IP addresses often is actually a sign that your
    ISP has over-subscribed its bandwidth. Consider yourself fortunate.

    HTH,
    John
    John Wunderlich, Jun 3, 2006
  10. BADAZZ

    Toolman Tim Guest

    In news:Xns97D77D7C2E9Ewunderpsdrscraytheon@216.196.97.142,
    John Wunderlich spewed forth:
    > BADAZZ <> wrote in
    >
    >> I have a question regarding the dynamic IP adress, wich don´t
    >> acctully work, I have had the same IP for a verry long time now,
    >> and it´s impossible to renew ??

    > You are assigned an address based on an internet standard called
    > Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol (DHCP). This standard is
    > published as document "RFC 2131" and can be viewed at:
    >
    > http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc2131.html
    >
    > It's very dry reading, but if you refer to section 3.2, there is a
    > shortcut method used when a client [computer] has had an IP address
    > assigned in the past. In short, your computer sends out a broadcast
    > saying:
    > "Hey, I need an IP Address and BTW last time I had address x.x.x.x"
    > The server then checks to see if that address is legal and not
    > currently assigned to someone else, and if so, it replies with a:
    > "That's cool, keep using that address"
    >
    > In addition, servers usually retain the last-used address by a
    > particular client and even if the shortcut method above is not used,
    > the server will have a strong tendency to reassign that same address
    > if it is currently still available.
    >
    > So you see that the Protocol itself has a strong preference to
    > maintain non-changing addresses. People that get reassigned new
    > addresses often are on crowded subnets that get their old IP
    > addresses scarfed up quickly once released due to a shortage of
    > addresses (or plethora of clients) on that subnet.
    >
    > Getting assigned new IP addresses often is actually a sign that your
    > ISP has over-subscribed its bandwidth. Consider yourself fortunate.

    Well said, John - thanks!

    --
    I always finish what I sta
    Toolman Tim, Jun 3, 2006
  11. BADAZZ

    BADAZZ Guest

    On Fri, 2 Jun 2006 21:40:00 -0400, doS wrote:

    > Dynamic is your isp option, not yours.
    >
    > "BADAZZ" <> wrote in message
    >>I have a question regarding the dynamic IP adress, wich don´t acctully
    >> work, I have had the same IP for a verry long time now, and it´s
    >> impossible
    >> to renew ??
    >>
    >> Best Regards
    >> BA

    It,s true, but if you have a dynamic ip, it´s possible for you as a
    customer to change it, with commands like ipconfig /release etc.
    BADAZZ, Jun 4, 2006
  12. BADAZZ

    BADAZZ Guest

    On Sat, 03 Jun 2006 12:20:08 -0700, John Wunderlich wrote:

    > BADAZZ <> wrote in
    >
    >> I have a question regarding the dynamic IP adress, wich don´t
    >> acctully work, I have had the same IP for a verry long time now,
    >> and it´s impossible to renew ??

    > You are assigned an address based on an internet standard called
    > Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol (DHCP). This standard is
    > published as document "RFC 2131" and can be viewed at:
    >
    > http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc2131.html
    >
    > It's very dry reading, but if you refer to section 3.2, there is a
    > shortcut method used when a client [computer] has had an IP address
    > assigned in the past. In short, your computer sends out a broadcast
    > saying:
    > "Hey, I need an IP Address and BTW last time I had address x.x.x.x"
    > The server then checks to see if that address is legal and not
    > currently assigned to someone else, and if so, it replies with a:
    > "That's cool, keep using that address"
    >
    > In addition, servers usually retain the last-used address by a
    > particular client and even if the shortcut method above is not used,
    > the server will have a strong tendency to reassign that same address
    > if it is currently still available.
    >
    > So you see that the Protocol itself has a strong preference to
    > maintain non-changing addresses. People that get reassigned new
    > addresses often are on crowded subnets that get their old IP
    > addresses scarfed up quickly once released due to a shortage of
    > addresses (or plethora of clients) on that subnet.
    >
    > Getting assigned new IP addresses often is actually a sign that your
    > ISP has over-subscribed its bandwidth. Consider yourself fortunate.
    >
    > HTH,
    > John

    Hi John

    Thank you for your reply, it´s sooo freakin nice when pl like yourself
    spreadin knowledge around like a can of beer ;) now I know the anwer on my
    question.

    Best Regards
    BA
    BADAZZ, Jun 4, 2006
  13. BADAZZ

    why? Guest

    On Mon, 5 Jun 2006 00:40:47 +0200, BADAZZ wrote:

    >On Sat, 03 Jun 2006 12:20:08 -0700, John Wunderlich wrote:
    >
    >> BADAZZ <> wrote in
    >>
    >>> I have a question regarding the dynamic IP adress, wich don´t
    >>> acctully work, I have had the same IP for a verry long time now,
    >>> and it´s impossible to renew ??

    >> You are assigned an address based on an internet standard called
    >> Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol (DHCP). This standard is
    >> published as document "RFC 2131" and can be viewed at:

    <snip>

    >> So you see that the Protocol itself has a strong preference to
    >> maintain non-changing addresses. People that get reassigned new
    >> addresses often are on crowded subnets that get their old IP
    >> addresses scarfed up quickly once released due to a shortage of
    >> addresses (or plethora of clients) on that subnet.
    >>
    >> Getting assigned new IP addresses often is actually a sign that your
    >> ISP has over-subscribed its bandwidth. Consider yourself fortunate.

    That would be IP address allocation as the previous paragraph mentioned
    with crowded subnets and not bandwidth.

    >> HTH,
    >> John

    >Hi John
    >
    >Thank you for your reply, it´s sooo freakin nice when pl like yourself
    >spreadin knowledge around like a can of beer ;) now I know the anwer on my
    >question.

    You can force a change in the IP address, depends on how it's allocated.
    If it's based on your IPS's modem/router it's a problem unless they
    swap the box for you.

    If you have to spoof http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MAC_address you can
    buy a new network card. You wouldn't usually need to install it, just
    type the new MAC address into the appropriate setting on the router or
    even if your network card driver allows it in the LAA field.

    See the URL above, for LAA as well.

    What you should never do is make up some MAC address with cards being so
    cheap or even one from a scrap bin would do to get a MAC.

    Me
    why?, Jun 5, 2006
  14. BADAZZ

    doS Guest

    not really, sometimes the ip is locked to the modem mac and or device behind
    it.

    doS, Jun 6, 2006
  15. BADAZZ

    doS Guest

    mac spoofing can get his account terminated...

    > On Mon, 5 Jun 2006 00:40:47 +0200, BADAZZ wrote:
    >
    >>On Sat, 03 Jun 2006 12:20:08 -0700, John Wunderlich wrote:
    >>
    >>> BADAZZ <> wrote in

    >>> You are assigned an address based on an internet standard called
    >>> Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol (DHCP). This standard is
    >>> published as document "RFC 2131" and can be viewed at:

    > <snip>
    >
    >>> So you see that the Protocol itself has a strong preference to
    >>> maintain non-changing addresses. People that get reassigned new
    >>> addresses often are on crowded subnets that get their old IP
    >>> addresses scarfed up quickly once released due to a shortage of
    >>> addresses (or plethora of clients) on that subnet.
    >>>
    >>> Getting assigned new IP addresses often is actually a sign that your
    >>> ISP has over-subscribed its bandwidth. Consider yourself fortunate.

    > That would be IP address allocation as the previous paragraph mentioned
    > with crowded subnets and not bandwidth.
    >
    >>> HTH,
    >>> John

    doS, Jun 6, 2006
  16. BADAZZ

    why? Guest

    On Mon, 5 Jun 2006 19:46:41 -0400, doS wrote:

    >mac spoofing can get his account terminated...

    Haven't read his ISP T&C's, then again it's simple to use the other
    option and buy a new NIC.

    why?, Jun 6, 2006
  17. BADAZZ

    why? Guest

    On Mon, 5 Jun 2006 00:34:15 +0200, BADAZZ wrote:

    >On Fri, 2 Jun 2006 21:40:00 -0400, doS wrote:
    >
    >> Dynamic is your isp option, not yours.
    >>
    >> "BADAZZ" <> wrote in message
    >>>I have a question regarding the dynamic IP adress, wich don´t acctully
    >>> work, I have had the same IP for a verry long time now, and it´s
    >>> impossible
    >>> to renew ??
    >>>
    >>> Best Regards
    >>> BA

    >It,s true, but if you have a dynamic ip, it´s possible for you as a
    >customer to change it, with commands like ipconfig /release etc.

    Not always.

    Me
    why?, Jun 6, 2006