    router. Trouble is, I'm not sure how to get started since there's a
    different IP address each time I access the internet. Can someone
    give me an idea how to get started? Thanks!
    MLT, Dec 21, 2009

  2. MLT

    Lem Guest

    MLT wrote:
    > I'm looking for help in setting up a laptop to a linksys wireless
    > router. Trouble is, I'm not sure how to get started since there's a
    > different IP address each time I access the internet. Can someone
    > give me an idea how to get started? Thanks!

    Why are you concerned about the IP address?
    What version of Windows?
    What model router?
    Is the router yours?
    --
    Lem

    Apollo 11 - 40 years ago:
    Lem, Dec 21, 2009

  3. MLT

    Rick Guest

    MLT wrote:
    > I'm looking for help in setting up a laptop to a linksys wireless
    > router. Trouble is, I'm not sure how to get started since there's a
    > different IP address each time I access the internet. Can someone
    > give me an idea how to get started? Thanks!

    did you not get a manual with the router. I used a Linksys router for
    years and found the manual to be very useful.

    Good Luck
    Rick, Dec 21, 2009
  4. MLT

    MLT Guest

    I was thinking I had to go to the IP address page in order to initiate
    the setup. Maybe that's not correct...

    Its windows XP and a WRT54G Linksys router. Yes its mine, it was
    previously setup with a provider that had static IP addresses, but now
    we have a satellite provider and has a dynamic IP address.
    MLT, Dec 21, 2009
  5. MLT

    Rick Guest

    MLT wrote:
    > I was thinking I had to go to the IP address page in order to initiate
    > the setup. Maybe that's not correct...
    >
    > Its windows XP and a WRT54G Linksys router. Yes its mine, it was
    > previously setup with a provider that had static IP addresses, but now
    > we have a satellite provider and has a dynamic IP address.

    I do not have my manual any more (I deleted it when I replaced it). I
    am thinking that you might get some help by contacting the satellite
    company if that is possible. I that you could enable Dynamic IP by
    clicking a box in the setup--but, I have not done that for at least 6
    years and am not sure I am correct.
    Rick, Dec 21, 2009
  6. MLT

    Lem Guest

    MLT wrote:
    > I was thinking I had to go to the IP address page in order to initiate
    > the setup. Maybe that's not correct...
    >
    > Its windows XP and a WRT54G Linksys router. Yes its mine, it was
    > previously setup with a provider that had static IP addresses, but now
    > we have a satellite provider and has a dynamic IP address.

    Ah, you mean the IP address of the router. For Linksys routers, the
    default is 192.168.1.1. Connect a computer to one of the routers 4 LAN
    ports (not the "Internet" port), open a browser and enter 192.168.1.1 in
    the address or "go to" field. This address does NOT change every time
    you access the Internet.

    What you're thinking of is the IP address that the rest of the world
    sees as your router; that used to be static, and now changes -- but you
    don't have to worry about it unless you are going to operate a server of
    some kind.

    If you have changed the router's IP address (i.e., 192.168.1.1 does not
    get you to the router sign on page), you'll have to reset the router to
    its defaults. With the router powered on, press and hold the reset
    button on the back for about 15 or 20 seconds. The lights should flash
    and *all* of the router's settings will be reset to default values.

    The default for signing on to the router is to leave the User Name blank
    and use "Admin" (without quotes) as the password. It's possible, but
    not very likely, that the User Name will also be Admin, but try first
    with it blank. As part of your setup, change the router's configuration
    access password. I suggest that you write down the password and tape it
    to the router.

    You may have to configure the section of the router that connects to
    your satellite modem. I'm not familiar with setup for satellite, but if
    it's like cable, you can leave the router at its default Internet
    Connection Type of DHCP (obtain an IP address automatically from your
    ISP). *This* is the IP address that may change every time you connect
    to the Internet. DSL connections usually use "PPPoE" as the Internet
    Connection Type, and require you to enter a User ID and Password given
    by the ISP. Your satellite ISP should have given you directions on how
    to configure your connection.

    If you had to reset the router, you'll have to re-configure the wireless
    setup. You probably can leave the Network Setting section at its default.

    Wireless setup:

    Set an SSID (network name) that you will recognize but is not your last
    name or address. Leave the channel at its default. If you later
    experience interference from nearby wireless networks, you can come back
    and try changing the channel. Use 1, 6, or 11 (the others are too close
    together). Set the "Wireless Mode" to conform with the wireless
    adapters in your computers: Mixed G&B, G-only, or B-only. At the
    Wireless Security section, set the encryption to WPA2-Personal (AES) if
    and only if all of your computers' wireless adapters are capable of
    using WPA2. Otherwise, set it to WPA-Personal (AES). If any of your
    wireless adapters are only capable of WEP encryption, I suggest that you
    get new wireless adapters. Do not disable SSID broadcast and do not
    enable MAC filtering.
    --
    Lem

    Apollo 11 - 40 years ago:
    Lem, Dec 21, 2009
  7. Hi
    On system like this there is two kind of IPs.
    WAN IP on the Internet side of the Router. If your Internet connection works
    OK leave it as is.
    LAN IP which is the Local IP that computers get from the Router.
    Lem's instructions should be sufficient for configuration.If you get into
    trouble these pages has more info.
    Wireless Security - http://www.ezlan.net/Wireless_Security.htm
    Jack (MS, MVP-Networking).

    Jack [MVP-Networking], Dec 21, 2009