    happen.

    Any suggestions?

    TIA, Eugene

    Eugene F., Nov 21, 2005

  2. Eugene F.

    Ryan Younger Guest

    With an XP Professional machine which is part of a domain, within the TCP/IP
    properties of a network connection there is an option to set an alternate
    configuration. If you enter the static IP and gateway details on this tab,
    whenever your machine doesn't receive a DHCP lease (i.e. when at home) these
    settings will be used. When you are in the office your machine will be
    leased an IP address and these settings will be ignored.

    --
    All the best,

    Ryan Younger.
    http://spaces.msn.com/members/airsick/ - My Wireless Networking Blog

    Ryan Younger, Nov 22, 2005

  3. Eugene F.

    Malke Guest

    Ryan Younger wrote:

    > With an XP Professional machine which is part of a domain, within the
    > TCP/IP properties of a network connection there is an option to set an
    > alternate
    > configuration. If you enter the static IP and gateway details on this
    > tab, whenever your machine doesn't receive a DHCP lease (i.e. when at
    > home) these
    > settings will be used. When you are in the office your machine will
    > be leased an IP address and these settings will be ignored.

    Actually that function is available in all flavors of Windows on a
    domain or not. I use the Alternate Configuration on my son's laptop (XP
    Home, no domain) every day. He has a static IP address at school and
    the school subnet is different than my home network. At home the laptop
    has a dynamic IP provided by the router as DHCP server.

    Malke
    --
    Elephant Boy Computers
    www.elephantboycomputers.com

    Malke, Nov 22, 2005
  4. Eugene F.

    Ryan Younger Guest

    This is correct, to clarify, I was giving an example of a possible use of
    the alternate configuration (this is how I have used it before). The
    alternate IP configuration is the static IP config that you want a network
    adapter to use in the event that it cannot obtain its IP addressing
    configuration from a DHCP server. The only limitation is that XP supports
    only one DHCP and one static configuration, if you need more you can
    checkout:

    http://www.netswitcher.com

    --
    All the best,

    Ryan Younger.
    http://spaces.msn.com/members/wirelessnetworking/ - My Wireless
    Networking Weblog

    Ryan Younger, Nov 22, 2005
  5. Eugene F.

    Malke Guest

    Ryan Younger wrote:

    > This is correct, to clarify, I was giving an example of a possible use
    > of
    > the alternate configuration (this is how I have used it before). The
    > alternate IP configuration is the static IP config that you want a
    > network adapter to use in the event that it cannot obtain its IP
    > addressing
    > configuration from a DHCP server. The only limitation is that XP
    > supports only one DHCP and one static configuration, if you need more
    > you can checkout:
    >
    > http://www.netswitcher.com

    Yes. Or:

    http://www.globesoft.com/mnm_home.html - MultiNetwork Manager
    http://www.mobilenetswitch.com - Mobile Net Switch

    Some laptop mftr.'s provide a program to do this also, like IBM.

    Malke

    Malke, Nov 22, 2005
  6. Eugene F.

    Eugene F. Guest

    [Sorry for the re-post but may be it will get some responses this time]

    Eugene F., Nov 28, 2005
  7. Eugene F.

    Eugene F. Guest

    Ryan,

    <<< With an XP Professional machine which is part of a domain, within
    the TCP/IP properties of a network connection there is an option to
    set an alternate configuration. If you enter the static IP and
    gateway details on this tab, whenever your machine doesn't receive a
    DHCP lease (i.e. when at home) these settings will be used. When you
    are in the office your machine will be leased an IP address and these
    settings will be ignored. >>>

    This laptop was previously able to get DHCP info both at home and in
    the office. Since my other home computers still can use DHCP
    functionality of my router I assume that router is still fine. So I
    wonder what could've happened to the laptop?

    TIA, Eugene

    Eugene F., Nov 28, 2005