Dynamic Disk downside...?

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Kenneth, Oct 30, 2003.

  1. Kenneth

    Kenneth Guest

    Howdy,

    I just installed a second internal hard drive that is to be used only
    to receive disk images from other systems on our small net for backup
    purposes. Those images will be created by Drive Image.

    When I installed the new disk, the BIOS saw it but, initially, Win200
    did not. I then opened Disk Management, it found the drive, and set it
    up as a Dynamic Drive.

    I know that Drive Image is happy with this setup, but need to know if
    there is any downside to leaving the drive as a Dynamic, rather than
    Basic.

    Also, if there is a downside, and I decide to set the drive as Basic,
    how to I do that.

    Sincere thanks,

    --
    Kenneth

    Kenneth, Oct 30, 2003

  2. Kenneth

    Computer Guy Guest

    Hello,
    You can switch back and forth from basic to dynamic anytime you desire.
    However, if you convert the system
    disk, it must be reformatted and Windows must be reinstalled. Actually. the
    only reason to set a disk to dynamic
    if you have three of them and you are going to set up RAID.
    I would recommend you switch back to basic on all drives. This is the way
    Windows 2000/XP likes them.
    Set the drive to basic the same way you did when you went to dynamic.
    There is an excellent book by "Mark Manasi" called "Mastering Windows 2000
    Server". It is an excellent guide
    and applies to Windows2000 also.
    Being "in the business" I have that book with me at all times when on
    service calls or doing new installs.
    Computer Guy

    Computer Guy, Oct 30, 2003

  3. Kenneth

    Kenneth Guest

    On Wed, 29 Oct 2003 21:17:45 -0800, "Computer Guy"
    <> wrote:

    >Hello,
    >You can switch back and forth from basic to dynamic anytime you desire.
    >However, if you convert the system
    >disk, it must be reformatted and Windows must be reinstalled. Actually. the
    >only reason to set a disk to dynamic
    >if you have three of them and you are going to set up RAID.
    >I would recommend you switch back to basic on all drives. This is the way
    >Windows 2000/XP likes them.
    >Set the drive to basic the same way you did when you went to dynamic.
    >There is an excellent book by "Mark Manasi" called "Mastering Windows 2000
    >Server". It is an excellent guide
    >and applies to Windows2000 also.
    >Being "in the business" I have that book with me at all times when on
    >service calls or doing new installs.
    >Computer Guy
    >
    >"Kenneth" <> wrote in message
    >> Howdy,
    >>
    >> I just installed a second internal hard drive that is to be used only
    >> to receive disk images from other systems on our small net for backup
    >> purposes. Those images will be created by Drive Image.
    >>
    >> When I installed the new disk, the BIOS saw it but, initially, Win200
    >> did not. I then opened Disk Management, it found the drive, and set it
    >> up as a Dynamic Drive.
    >>
    >> I know that Drive Image is happy with this setup, but need to know if
    >> there is any downside to leaving the drive as a Dynamic, rather than
    >> Basic.
    >>
    >> Also, if there is a downside, and I decide to set the drive as Basic,
    >> how to I do that.
    >>
    >> Sincere thanks,
    >>
    >> --
    >> Kenneth
    >>
    >> If you email... Please remove the "SPAMLESS."

    Howdy,

    Sincere thanks for your comments, but I am confused about how to set
    the drive back to "basic."

    You say that I should just repeat what I did originally. That is
    simple enough, but...

    The first time, I opened Disk Manager and chose to Quick Format the
    drive. It gave me no choices regarding "Dynamic" or "Basic." When the
    quick format was finished, the disk was set to Dynamic.

    Specifically, how can I go back to Basic?

    Thanks again,

    --
    Kenneth

    Kenneth, Oct 30, 2003
  4. Kenneth

    Kenneth Guest

    On Thu, 30 Oct 2003 08:24:16 -0500, Kenneth
    <> wrote:

    >On Wed, 29 Oct 2003 21:17:45 -0800, "Computer Guy"
    ><> wrote:
    >
    >>Hello,
    >>You can switch back and forth from basic to dynamic anytime you desire.
    >>However, if you convert the system
    >>disk, it must be reformatted and Windows must be reinstalled. Actually. the
    >>only reason to set a disk to dynamic
    >>if you have three of them and you are going to set up RAID.
    >>I would recommend you switch back to basic on all drives. This is the way
    >>Windows 2000/XP likes them.
    >>Set the drive to basic the same way you did when you went to dynamic.
    >>There is an excellent book by "Mark Manasi" called "Mastering Windows 2000
    >>Server". It is an excellent guide
    >>and applies to Windows2000 also.
    >>Being "in the business" I have that book with me at all times when on
    >>service calls or doing new installs.
    >>Computer Guy
    >>
    >>"Kenneth" <> wrote in message
    >>> Howdy,
    >>>
    >>> I just installed a second internal hard drive that is to be used only
    >>> to receive disk images from other systems on our small net for backup
    >>> purposes. Those images will be created by Drive Image.
    >>>
    >>> When I installed the new disk, the BIOS saw it but, initially, Win200
    >>> did not. I then opened Disk Management, it found the drive, and set it
    >>> up as a Dynamic Drive.
    >>>
    >>> I know that Drive Image is happy with this setup, but need to know if
    >>> there is any downside to leaving the drive as a Dynamic, rather than
    >>> Basic.
    >>>
    >>> Also, if there is a downside, and I decide to set the drive as Basic,
    >>> how to I do that.
    >>>
    >>> Sincere thanks,
    >>>
    >>> --
    >>> Kenneth
    >>>
    >>> If you email... Please remove the "SPAMLESS."

    >Howdy,
    >
    >Sincere thanks for your comments, but I am confused about how to set
    >the drive back to "basic."
    >
    >You say that I should just repeat what I did originally. That is
    >simple enough, but...
    >
    >The first time, I opened Disk Manager and chose to Quick Format the
    >drive. It gave me no choices regarding "Dynamic" or "Basic." When the
    >quick format was finished, the disk was set to Dynamic.
    >
    >Specifically, how can I go back to Basic?
    >
    >Thanks again,

    Hello again,

    Well, I've learned a bit more, but am still stumped...

    In a MSKB article I learned how to revert the Dynamic disk to Basic.
    In Disk Manager, one simply right clicks to choose that option.

    The hitch is that when I right click on my other Basic disk, I see the
    option to go to Dynamic, but when I right click on my Dynamic drive,
    the option to change it to Basic is grayed out. The help file says
    that network security policy might prevent the change, but I have not
    a clue where,, or how, to modify that restriction.

    Can you assist?

    Thanks,

    --
    Kenneth

    Kenneth, Oct 30, 2003
  5. Kenneth

    Kenneth Guest

    On Thu, 30 Oct 2003 08:34:01 -0500, Kenneth
    <> wrote:

    >>>BIG SNIP<<<

    >The hitch is that when I right click on my other Basic disk, I see the
    >option to go to Dynamic, but when I right click on my Dynamic drive,
    >the option to change it to Basic is grayed out. The help file says
    >that network security policy might prevent the change, but I have not
    >a clue where,, or how, to modify that restriction.
    >
    >Can you assist?
    >
    >Thanks,

    Hello again,

    I got it...

    The hitch was not related to the network stuff at all. It turns out
    that in order to revert to Basic, one must first remove the volume. I
    did that, the Revert "un-grayed" and I am now running the drive as
    "Basic."

    All the best,

    --
    Kenneth

    Kenneth, Oct 30, 2003
  6. Kenneth

    Computer Guy Guest

    Hello,
    One more thing to share. Mark Manasi wrote a book, "How to master
    Windows2000 Server". It is a super
    book and discusses, with how to's, just about everything associated with
    Windows 2000 Server and about 90%
    applies to Windows2000 Professional. When I go on a service call or do a new
    installation, I always have the
    book with me. Highly recommended whether a working professional or a lay
    person who desires to learn more.
    With the new knowledge this book provides, you will be head and shoulders
    above your peers. You will be
    able to answer questions in this newsgroup with ease. Or, just having the
    book will enhance your knowledge
    immensely.
    Isn't achieving success the most wonderful feeling there is? I think so.
    Take care and God Bless.
    Computer Guy

    Computer Guy, Oct 31, 2003
  7. Kenneth

    apple2012

    Joined:
    Jul 15, 2010
    Messages:
    8
    You want to convert dynamic disk to basic disk? If so, you can finish the work and will not lose any data:D
    dynamic-disk.com/convert-dynamic-disk-to-basic.html

    apple2012, Aug 4, 2010