    adapter with the existing modem. Every single time the Dynalink (Agere
    Winmodem) has failed to connect the DSE modem (Intel HAM) has been
    able to connect no problems.
    Rob J, Aug 25, 2005

  2. Rob J

    Peter Guest

    Rob J wrote:

    > What is the general opinion of Dynalink modems?

    Since Dynalink seem to 'package' various different chipset modems for the
    Australasian market (including obtaining 'telepermits') it is quite
    probable some perform better than others. I stuck a 'winmoden' (from
    memory Dynalink) into a machine and the performance was terrible - ages to
    connect if at all). I then connected an external Dynalink *real* modem and
    it worked like a charm. It seems you get what you pay for.

    For those who do not know, a 'winmodem' is a cheap modem with less
    'hardware' than a traditional modem. It relies on software drivers so the
    host computer carries out many of the functions that a traditional modem
    carries out internally. The chipset manufacturers are secretive about the
    interfaces so it is not feasible to write drivers to use the modem on
    systems other than Windows. Someone is licenced to write Linux drivers.
    You have to pay for these although a 14k crippled version is available free
    an is intended for testing and evaluation.
    Peter, Aug 25, 2005

  3. Rob J

    XP Guest

    On Thu, 25 Aug 2005 23:13:43 +1200, Rob J <> wrote:

    >What is the general opinion of Dynalink modems?
    >
    >I used to think they were good value product and that certainly seemed
    >to be the case in the past, however I have had nothing but trouble
    >with my new 56k internal PCI modem in a new system. Failing to connect
    >is not at all uncommon and frequently can only be fixed by restarting
    >the PC.
    >
    >In an effort to trace the problem I purchased a DSE XH1154 PCI modem
    >and installed it alongside and connected the line outlet to a double
    >adapter with the existing modem. Every single time the Dynalink (Agere
    >Winmodem) has failed to connect the DSE modem (Intel HAM) has been
    >able to connect no problems.

    To me they are Utter Crap, go for a U.S Robotics or 3Com what ever its called
    now.
    XP, Aug 25, 2005
  4. Rob J

    colinco Guest

    In article Rob J says...
    > Every single time the Dynalink (Agere
    > Winmodem) has failed to connect the DSE modem (Intel HAM) has been
    > able to connect no problems.

    Send it back. It must be faulty if it doesn't work better than the DSE.
    I would take an Agere over an Intel modem any day.
    Anyone that thinks Dynalink external modems are "better" than a good
    internal is dreaming. Once you've paid for the casing, cables and plug
    pack there's not much left for the modem circuit which is similar to the
    PCI version anyway.
    colinco, Aug 26, 2005
  5. Rob J

    PC Guest

    "Rob J" <> wrote in message
    > What is the general opinion of Dynalink modems?
    >
    > I used to think they were good value product and that certainly seemed
    > to be the case in the past, however I have had nothing but trouble
    > with my new 56k internal PCI modem in a new system. Failing to connect
    > is not at all uncommon and frequently can only be fixed by restarting
    > the PC.
    >
    > In an effort to trace the problem I purchased a DSE XH1154 PCI modem
    > and installed it alongside and connected the line outlet to a double
    > adapter with the existing modem. Every single time the Dynalink (Agere
    > Winmodem) has failed to connect the DSE modem (Intel HAM) has been
    > able to connect no problems.

    A few weeks ago I had somewhat the opposite.
    New PC, Connexant modem, dreadful performance, checked out 5 new ones, none
    any good.
    The odd thing is I've handled around 10 PC's with the same motherboard and
    Connexant modem in the last couple of months that worked just fine.
    Put in a $45 Dynalink PCI, went like a charm.

    Now how do you figure that one.

    Paul.
    PC, Aug 26, 2005
  6. Rob J

    Rob J Guest

    On Fri, 26 Aug 2005 14:06:35 +1200, colinco <>
    wrote:

    >In article Rob J says...
    >> Every single time the Dynalink (Agere
    >> Winmodem) has failed to connect the DSE modem (Intel HAM) has been
    >> able to connect no problems.
    >>

    >Send it back. It must be faulty if it doesn't work better than the DSE.
    >I would take an Agere over an Intel modem any day.

    The Intel performs miles better than the Agere. No problems at all.
    Rob J, Aug 28, 2005
  7. In article <>, Rob J <> wrote:
    >What is the general opinion of Dynalink modems?
    >
    >I used to think they were good value product and that certainly seemed
    >to be the case in the past, however I have had nothing but trouble
    >with my new 56k internal PCI modem in a new system. Failing to connect
    >is not at all uncommon and frequently can only be fixed by restarting
    >the PC.
    >
    >In an effort to trace the problem I purchased a DSE XH1154 PCI modem
    >and installed it alongside and connected the line outlet to a double
    >adapter with the existing modem. Every single time the Dynalink (Agere
    >Winmodem) has failed to connect the DSE modem (Intel HAM) has been
    >able to connect no problems.

    Not only have I had few problems with my external Dynalink, their service
    has been outstanding. If you are having problems, tell them ... let them
    have a go at fixing your problem :)

    Bruce

    (if there were any)
    Bruce Sinclair, Aug 30, 2005