Dynalink ADSL Routers

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by #, Nov 24, 2004.

  1. #

    # Guest

    What are the major differences between the RTA 220, 300 and 770?

    It would appear from the Dynalink website that the older 220 and 300 need a
    hub to support mutiple systems simultaneously using the same connection:

    "Multiple PC's On 1 Connection: Run multiple PC's and the Dynalink ADSL
    Router through a hub, and enjoy High Speed internet for all";

    whilst the indication given regarding the 770 is that it does not require a
    hub:

    "Multiple PC's On 1 Connection: Run multiple PC's and the Dynalink ADSL
    Router, and enjoy High Speed internet for all".

    Any (dis)advantages regarding either the Broadcom or Globespan chipsets?

    Any other brands/models that could be recommended in a similar
    price/performance category?

    Situational requirements:
    Minimum of 2 LAN sockets needed
    Maximum of 4 computers will ever be linked
    No Wireless required
    Must be good value

    #, Nov 24, 2004

  2. #

    PC Guest

    "#" <> wrote in message
    > What are the major differences between the RTA 220, 300 and 770?
    >
    > It would appear from the Dynalink website that the older 220 and 300 need
    > hub to support mutiple systems simultaneously using the same connection:
    >
    > "Multiple PC's On 1 Connection: Run multiple PC's and the Dynalink ADSL
    > Router through a hub, and enjoy High Speed internet for all";
    >
    > whilst the indication given regarding the 770 is that it does not require
    > hub:
    >
    > "Multiple PC's On 1 Connection: Run multiple PC's and the Dynalink ADSL
    > Router, and enjoy High Speed internet for all".
    >
    > Any (dis)advantages regarding either the Broadcom or Globespan chipsets?
    >
    > Any other brands/models that could be recommended in a similar
    > price/performance category?
    >
    > Situational requirements:
    > Minimum of 2 LAN sockets needed
    > Maximum of 4 computers will ever be linked
    > No Wireless required
    > Must be good value

    I've had an RTA 300 for some months now, runs fine.
    Has a 4 port Switch (Hub?) and USB so up to 5 PC's may be connected, and
    surf the 'net' at once.
    Cheers
    Paul

    PC, Nov 24, 2004

  3. #

    # Guest

    On Wed, 24 Nov 2004 21:12:22 +1300, PC wrote:

    >> Situational requirements:
    >> Minimum of 2 LAN sockets needed
    >> Maximum of 4 computers will ever be linked
    >> No Wireless required
    >> Must be good value

    > I've had an RTA 300 for some months now, runs fine.
    > Has a 4 port Switch (Hub?) and USB so up to 5 PC's may be connected, and
    > surf the 'net' at once.
    > Cheers
    > Paul

    Have you simultaneously run more then one computer through the router on
    the same ADSL connection, purely by connection to the router, as this will
    probably be essential?

    If not, are you in a position that you could test and validate the
    operation in such circumstances?

    #, Nov 24, 2004
  4. #

    Ron McNulty Guest

    If the model has an inbuilt 4 port hub/switch, you can attach 4 computers.
    If not, you need an external hub to attach more than 1 computer.

    Both at work I use a Dynalink RTA220 router to allow multiple computers to
    accees the internet via the same ADSL connection. I think it has a 4 port
    switch. The only limit is the number of MAC addresses the router can
    remember - this is in the order of one or two hundred.

    Regards

    Ron

    Ron McNulty, Nov 24, 2004
  5. #

    # Guest

    On Wed, 24 Nov 2004 21:56:05 +1300, Ron McNulty wrote:

    > If the model has an inbuilt 4 port hub/switch, you can attach 4 computers.
    > If not, you need an external hub to attach more than 1 computer.
    >
    > Both at work I use a Dynalink RTA220 router to allow multiple computers to
    > accees the internet via the same ADSL connection. I think it has a 4 port
    > switch. The only limit is the number of MAC addresses the router can
    > remember - this is in the order of one or two hundred.

    Thanks for clarifying that.

    Unfortunately the description provided on the Dynalink website for the 220
    and 300 was not very clear - leaving the impression that it may not support
    simultaneous connection sharing other than in combined use with a hub.

    Strange, but you never know with some peripherals...

    #, Nov 24, 2004
  6. #

    PC Guest

    "#" <> wrote in message
    > On Wed, 24 Nov 2004 21:12:22 +1300, PC wrote:
    >
    >>> Situational requirements:
    >>> Minimum of 2 LAN sockets needed
    >>> Maximum of 4 computers will ever be linked
    >>> No Wireless required
    >>> Must be good value

    >> I've had an RTA 300 for some months now, runs fine.
    >> Has a 4 port Switch (Hub?) and USB so up to 5 PC's may be connected, and
    >> surf the 'net' at once.
    >> Cheers
    >> Paul

    > Have you simultaneously run more then one computer through the router on
    > the same ADSL connection, purely by connection to the router, as this will
    > probably be essential?
    >
    > If not, are you in a position that you could test and validate the
    > operation in such circumstances?

    Dear OP

    Routinely two PC's connect to the 'net' simultaneously here (Xtra 2Mbit) and
    4 connect if I am running the two PC's in my workshop as well. All just
    plugged into the back of the RTA300.

    Installing XP on a new machine (or Linux for that matter) plug the Lan cable
    in and I end up with a connection to the net to download all those MB's of
    Updates that XP/Norton require. Just love it for that.

    Has identical functionality to DSE XH1169.

    i.e.
    Plug the power in
    Plug the ADSL cable in
    Connect up to 4 PC's via Ethernet (LAN) socket + another via USB 1.1 socket
    (need to install drivers for this one).
    Load you ISP details (user name, password etc) into the Router via your Web
    browser & save/reset.
    Set all your PC's to No Dialup, get IP via DHCP, Gateway to the IP of the
    Router 192.168.x.x

    Note If you don't wish to 'share' drives between PC's etc, you can still
    access the 'net' from all PC's just with the TCP/IP connection.

    DO read the Manual

    Cheers
    Paul.

    PC, Nov 24, 2004
  7. #

    # Guest

    On Wed, 24 Nov 2004 22:46:03 +1300, PC wrote:

    > Dear OP
    >
    > Routinely two PC's connect to the 'net' simultaneously here (Xtra 2Mbit) and
    > 4 connect if I am running the two PC's in my workshop as well. All just
    > plugged into the back of the RTA300.
    >
    > Installing XP on a new machine (or Linux for that matter) plug the Lan cable
    > in and I end up with a connection to the net to download all those MB's of
    > Updates that XP/Norton require. Just love it for that.
    >
    > Has identical functionality to DSE XH1169.
    >
    > i.e.
    > Plug the power in
    > Plug the ADSL cable in
    > Connect up to 4 PC's via Ethernet (LAN) socket + another via USB 1.1 socket
    > (need to install drivers for this one).
    > Load you ISP details (user name, password etc) into the Router via your Web
    > browser & save/reset.
    > Set all your PC's to No Dialup, get IP via DHCP, Gateway to the IP of the
    > Router 192.168.x.x
    >
    > Note If you don't wish to 'share' drives between PC's etc, you can still
    > access the 'net' from all PC's just with the TCP/IP connection.
    >
    > DO read the Manual
    >
    > Cheers
    > Paul.

    Excellent, thanks for your help!

    #, Nov 24, 2004
  8. On Wed, 24 Nov 2004 18:50:52 +1300, # wrote:

    > What are the major differences between the RTA 220, 300 and 770?
    >
    > It would appear from the Dynalink website that the older 220 and 300 need a
    > hub to support mutiple systems simultaneously using the same connection:
    >
    > "Multiple PC's On 1 Connection: Run multiple PC's and the Dynalink ADSL
    > Router through a hub, and enjoy High Speed internet for all";
    >
    > whilst the indication given regarding the 770 is that it does not require a
    > hub:
    >
    > "Multiple PC's On 1 Connection: Run multiple PC's and the Dynalink ADSL
    > Router, and enjoy High Speed internet for all".
    >
    > Any (dis)advantages regarding either the Broadcom or Globespan chipsets?
    >
    > Any other brands/models that could be recommended in a similar
    > price/performance category?
    >
    > Situational requirements:
    > Minimum of 2 LAN sockets needed
    > Maximum of 4 computers will ever be linked
    > No Wireless required
    > Must be good value

    The Dynalink 300 has NAT built-in, firewall, DHCP server etc built-in.
    The "tricky" part was taking the time to discover the default admin
    username and password for its webpage config.

    You want to find omething that does some sort of traffic shaping/quality of
    service or else you end up with someone sucking up all the bandwidth...

    wogers nemesis, Nov 24, 2004
  9. #

    # Guest

    On Thu, 25 Nov 2004 00:23:24 +1300, wogers nemesis wrote:

    > You want to find omething that does some sort of traffic shaping/quality of
    > service or else you end up with someone sucking up all the bandwidth...

    Anything you can suggest in this price category?

    #, Nov 24, 2004
  10. #

    PC Guest

    "wogers nemesis" <> wrote in message
    > On Wed, 24 Nov 2004 18:50:52 +1300, # wrote:
    >
    >> What are the major differences between the RTA 220, 300 and 770?
    >>
    >> It would appear from the Dynalink website that the older 220 and 300 need
    >> hub to support mutiple systems simultaneously using the same connection:
    >>
    >> "Multiple PC's On 1 Connection: Run multiple PC's and the Dynalink ADSL
    >> Router through a hub, and enjoy High Speed internet for all";
    >>
    >> whilst the indication given regarding the 770 is that it does not require
    >> hub:
    >>
    >> "Multiple PC's On 1 Connection: Run multiple PC's and the Dynalink ADSL
    >> Router, and enjoy High Speed internet for all".
    >>
    >> Any (dis)advantages regarding either the Broadcom or Globespan chipsets?
    >>
    >> Any other brands/models that could be recommended in a similar
    >> price/performance category?
    >>
    >> Situational requirements:
    >> Minimum of 2 LAN sockets needed
    >> Maximum of 4 computers will ever be linked
    >> No Wireless required
    >> Must be good value

    > The Dynalink 300 has NAT built-in, firewall, DHCP server etc built-in.
    > The "tricky" part was taking the time to discover the default admin
    > username and password for its webpage config.

    er RTFM!

    Snip

    PC, Nov 24, 2004
  11. PC wrote:
    >>The Dynalink 300 has NAT built-in, firewall, DHCP server etc built-in.
    >>The "tricky" part was taking the time to discover the default admin
    >>username and password for its webpage config.

    > er RTFM!
    > Snip

    heh...

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Nov 24, 2004
  12. #

    Gordon Guest

    On Wed, 24 Nov 2004 22:16:56 +1300, # wrote:

    > Unfortunately the description provided on the Dynalink website for the 220
    > and 300 was not very clear - leaving the impression that it may not support
    > simultaneous connection sharing other than in combined use with a hub.

    FWIW, the 230 has one ethernet port which can be fed into either a PC
    ethernet port for sole use of into a hub for sharing.

    Gordon, Nov 25, 2004
  13. #

    -=rjh=- Guest

    PC wrote:
    > "wogers nemesis" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>On Wed, 24 Nov 2004 18:50:52 +1300, # wrote:
    >>

    >>>What are the major differences between the RTA 220, 300 and 770?
    >>>
    >>>It would appear from the Dynalink website that the older 220 and 300 need
    >>>hub to support mutiple systems simultaneously using the same connection:
    >>>
    >>>"Multiple PC's On 1 Connection: Run multiple PC's and the Dynalink ADSL
    >>>Router through a hub, and enjoy High Speed internet for all";
    >>>
    >>>whilst the indication given regarding the 770 is that it does not require
    >>>hub:
    >>>
    >>>"Multiple PC's On 1 Connection: Run multiple PC's and the Dynalink ADSL
    >>>Router, and enjoy High Speed internet for all".
    >>>
    >>>Any (dis)advantages regarding either the Broadcom or Globespan chipsets?
    >>>
    >>>Any other brands/models that could be recommended in a similar
    >>>price/performance category?
    >>>
    >>>Situational requirements:
    >>>Minimum of 2 LAN sockets needed
    >>>Maximum of 4 computers will ever be linked
    >>>No Wireless required
    >>>Must be good value

    >>The Dynalink 300 has NAT built-in, firewall, DHCP server etc built-in.
    >>The "tricky" part was taking the time to discover the default admin
    >>username and password for its webpage config.

    > er RTFM!
    >
    > Snip

    Or try (as someone else posted recently):

    http://www.phenoelit.de/dpl/dpl.html

    -=rjh=-, Nov 25, 2004