DynaLink ADSL router users: please help.

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by TmcT, Sep 14, 2004.

  1. TmcT

    TmcT Guest

    Can anyone make a guess where's the problem:

    I got a DyanLink RTA230 ADSL router here, had Telecom JetStream installed on
    my phone line and a Slingshot JetStream account ready.

    Connected the router to my switch hub which is connected to 4 comp.
    Access and setup the router from one of the computer and everythings fine
    except it always state "ADSL not ready"

    On the router front panel, only the "power" and "lan" indicator on, most the
    time.
    The "DSL" indicator flash few times but never stay on.

    Tried to connect 3 different phone jack and all react the same.
    With or without filter.

    So, where could be the problem most likely?

    It doesn't look like there's fault on the router and nothing I had missed.

    Called Telecom 0800 help line and after they ask what ISP I'm on, the guy
    just ask me to call the ISP for help.
    I haven't finish to tell the problem, and it's difficult to explain anyway.
    (And I can't send them Email for help!!)

    If anyone got experience on similar before, please tell me how you solve it.

    TmcT, Sep 14, 2004

  2. TmcT

    EMB Guest

    TmcT wrote:

    > Can anyone make a guess where's the problem:

    Are you using the correct username & password? Most ISP's use a
    different username from the dialup one to login to ADSL.

    --
    EMB
    change two to number to reply

    EMB, Sep 14, 2004

  3. TmcT

    JedMeister Guest

    Hmm, this is not your only problem. Your router has a huge security flaw
    too...

    Dynalink is warning customers of a possible security issue with its popular
    RTA-230 DSL router and is taking action to remove a second management
    account with a recently-cracked password, after being alerted to the issue
    by Computerworld.
    http://computerworld.co.nz/news.nsf/UNID/0142C80FC072CFE2CC256F0F001C2F55?OpenDocument

    JedMeister, Sep 14, 2004
  4. TmcT

    colinco Guest

    In article EMB says...
    > > Can anyone make a guess where's the problem:

    > Are you using the correct username & password? Most ISP's use a
    > different username from the dialup one to login to ADSL.

    Until you get a solid DSL light the link isn't up. Check that the
    jetstream on your line has been turned on at the exchange.

    colinco, Sep 14, 2004
  5. TmcT

    Tim Guest

    Yet another hole we can do without, but the article does state this:

    "Dynalink engineer Casey Mak says the router's web and telnet administrative
    interfaces are configured by default not to listen for connections from the
    internet, and only allow access from the local area network. For an attacker
    to logon to the router remotely, customers would have to configure the
    telnet service to listen for connections from the internet. "

    So, unless you have configured the unit to allow administration from the
    internet side there is no need to panick. At the same time make sure you do
    upgrade the firmware when the new version becomes available.

    - Tim

    Tim, Sep 14, 2004
  6. TmcT

    TmcT Guest

    Yes, and that's the only answer from the 0800 help line.
    (then he ask what ISP I'm using...)

    And I got the ADSL login and password from Slingshot.

    Cheers

    TmcT, Sep 15, 2004
  7. TmcT

    TmcT Guest

    by default not to listen for connections from the
    > internet, and only allow access from the local area network.

    Does that mean the router won't detect for ADSL signal on the line as well?

    Bought this router on Monday come will latest firmware (checked on their
    website).

    TmcT, Sep 15, 2004
  8. No, i don't think this has anything to do with your connection problems -
    just remember to check this out later.

    Sounds like telecom has not enabled adsl on your line (at the exchange) as
    yet. I would think you would contact your ISP - aren't they the ones you
    signed the contract with?

    Jed Meisterdude, Sep 15, 2004
  9. TmcT

    TmcT Guest

    Thanks, will call Telecom again tomorrow.

    I had also send Email to Slingshot and they're just slow respond to techical
    problem. (real fast when talking about money matter.)

    Thanks

    TmcT, Sep 15, 2004