Dying hard drive

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by gb, Dec 21, 2004.

  1. gb

    gb Guest

    Hi all

    I use an IBM Deskstar hard drive. The long and short is that due to quite a
    number of electricity cut outs, the hard drive has started playing up (yes,
    I've had a go at the person responsible for keeping the electricity in
    credit!)

    In sequence, initially I noticed that sometimes, upon restarting, the bios
    would beep at me for some reason or other. I then noticed that the computer
    would restart for no apparent reason after being left unattended for an
    extended period of time. This then developed into the computer having
    difficulties in actually even seeing the hard drive when booting up (hanging
    at detecting IDE drives). If it did identify the hard drive at boot time,
    it sometimes then had a 'hard disk failure' further into the boot sequence.
    And then there were the dreaded blue screens of death. It mentioned that a
    critical process unexpectedly terminated (Kernel_Inpage errors). Looking at
    the Event Manager in the Admin tools, at the time of failure, the hard drive's
    self-testing facility reported that it was about to fail.

    In a desperate attempt to rescue my work, I performed a clean install of the
    drive C, as I thought that the OS may be up the creek (due to the stop
    errors above) and that a reinstall may help (my hard drive is formatted into
    4 partitions, with C as the OS). Unfortunately, this failed and I received
    another BSOD. Now, it won't boot at all. I'm seriously at risk of losing
    80gb of data.

    I have tried to run the disk as a slave to another disk, but the hard drive
    just won't be recognised. Is there anything at all that I can do to try and
    recover the data on the remaining 3 partitions of my disk?

    Thank you

    gb

    gb, Dec 21, 2004

  2. gb

    Guest

    On Tue, 21 Dec 2004 01:01:05 +0000 (UTC), "gb" <> wrote:

    |> I have tried to run the disk as a slave to another disk, but the hard drive
    |> just won't be recognised. Is there anything at all that I can do to try and
    |> recover the data on the remaining 3 partitions of my disk?

    Few Thoughts...

    Swap the electronics from an identical drive.

    Stick it in an air tight bag and freeze it overnight, grab the data
    while still cold. (Slave)

    Try hirenbootcd6.zip a ISO of a bootable CD recovery disk.
    http://tinyurl.com/4xddk

    Does it even spin up? if not you can open the disk up and push start it.

    (Be clean)

    --

    , Dec 21, 2004

  3. gb