    line up and I'm afraid taking it out might damage the working drives.

    Thanks.

    Joe

    Joe, Feb 14, 2006

  2. Joe

    JANA Guest

    It sounds like he did a sloppy installation. Why not properly clean things
    out, and fix it right. You can then replace the defective drive.

    Technically, removing the connectors from the drive, will eliminate it from
    the chain. The system should work properly, as long as there are not any
    required files on it.

    --

    JANA
    _____

    "Joe" <> wrote in message
    I'm pretty sure that one of my three SCSI drives is dying, as it's not
    always recognized on boot-up.

    If it does stop working, can I leave it in the case or is it best to
    remove it or at least unhook it from the SCSI chain?

    I'd rather avoid removing it, as the guy who installed it kind of forced
    it in because the rails and screws didn't

    JANA, Feb 14, 2006

  3. Joe wrote:

    > I'm pretty sure that one of my three SCSI drives is dying, as it's not
    > always recognized on boot-up.
    >
    > If it does stop working, can I leave it in the case or is it best to
    > remove it or at least unhook it from the SCSI chain?
    >
    > I'd rather avoid removing it, as the guy who installed it kind of forced
    > it in because the rails and screws didn't
    > line up and I'm afraid taking it out might damage the working drives.

    Depends. Sometimes a failing drive can take the bus down too. Anyways, you
    will have to set up the controller not to scan for it's LUN, at least.

    Linux 2.6.14-mm1 [LinuxCounter#295241,ICQ#4918962]

    Walter Mautner, Feb 14, 2006
  4. Joe

    Meat Plow Guest

    On Mon, 13 Feb 2006 23:45:15 -0500, Joe wrote:

    > I'm pretty sure that one of my three SCSI drives is dying, as it's not
    > always recognized on boot-up.
    >
    > If it does stop working, can I leave it in the case or is it best to
    > remove it or at least unhook it from the SCSI chain?
    >
    > I'd rather avoid removing it, as the guy who installed it kind of forced
    > it in because the rails and screws didn't line up and I'm afraid taking it
    > out might damage the working drives.
    >
    > Thanks.
    >
    > Joe

    Might help to know the configuration ie.. RAID, Backplane mount, other
    shit like that ya know.

    Meat Plow, Feb 14, 2006
  5. Joe

    Meat Plow Guest

    On Tue, 14 Feb 2006 00:55:37 -0500, JANA wrote:

    > Technically, removing the connectors from the drive, will eliminate it
    > from the chain. The system should work properly

    It won't work properly if the drive provided termination for the chain.

    Don't give up your day job.

    Meat Plow, Feb 14, 2006
  6. Joe

    Plato Guest

    Joe wrote:

    > I'm pretty sure that one of my three SCSI drives is dying, as it's not
    > always recognized on boot-up.

    As the motor wears down, it takes longer to spin up when first started.
    Often drives can go for years like that. Other times well, you know.

    http://www.bootdisk.com/

    Plato, Feb 14, 2006
  7. Joe

    Joe Guest

    Thanks for all the replies.

    The dying drive is 's set up on a scsi chain, no raid. I don't recall where
    on the chain it is, but I've documented it and just have to find my notes.

    The set up has worked flawlessly since 2003 and I am a believer in the maxim
    "if it ain't broke .... " so I won't hire someone to reseat all the drives
    unless it's necessary, which it sounds like it may be if a dead or dying
    drive can mess up the bus.

    Joe

    Joe, Feb 14, 2006