    Niblets Guest

    I'm thinking about purchasing the Olympus P440 (uses A4 size paper and will print 8 x 10s) dye-sub printer. I have a lot of glossy photo paper left over from when I used my now broken Photosmart printer. I notice that the dye subs all seem to use proprietary dye-sub paper. Is there a difference between photo paper for inkjets and photo paper for dye-sub printers? Would I get less than ideal results using my inkjet paper in my p440? Thanks in advance for your reply.

    Tibs
    Niblets, Dec 13, 2003

  2. Niblets

    Ed Kirstein Guest

    I believe the dyes won't stick to regular photo paper.

    Ed

    Ed Kirstein, Dec 13, 2003

  3. You must use the proprietary Olympus paper only. Nothing else will work.

    And the Olympus dye-sub printers produce excellent results. Most people will believe they are looking at traditional chemical prints produced in a lab. I have the older P-400 which I am quite satisfied with. No ink-jet printer can produce prints that pass my coffee test. When I first got the P-400, I was looking at some prints I had just made with it and managed to spill a full cup of hot coffee over one of them. After the usual cursing, I took the print to the sink and washed it, then dried it with a towel. It was impossible to tell it had been coffee tested.

    Bye.

    David Sommers, Dec 14, 2003
  4. Niblets

    Tom Monego Guest

    > "Niblets" <> wrote in message =
    > I'm thinking about purchasing the Olympus P440 (uses A4 size paper and =
    >will print 8 x 10s) dye-sub printer. I have a lot of glossy photo paper =
    >left over from when I used my now broken Photosmart printer. I notice =
    >that the dye subs all seem to use proprietary dye-sub paper. Is there a =
    >difference between photo paper for inkjets and photo paper for dye-sub =
    >printers? Would I get less than ideal results using my inkjet paper in =
    >my p440? Thanks in advance for your reply.
    >
    > Tibs

    There are pros and cons to any printing method. If you are comparing dyesub to
    inkjet.

    Dyesub
    Almost chemical print looking image, very nice.
    Limited to one size of paper
    limited to glossy paper from manufacturer
    ? of life expectancy probably decent, that of a store bought chemical print,
    ie one from shutterfly Ofoto and such, not as good as one from a custom lab
    fairly expensive $1.5-$2/8x10

    Inkjet
    Nice images if a little care is taken, can look better than chemical photo
    (also much worse)
    Paper limited only by printer, smaller paper can be used. Printers can be over
    40" wide
    No limit to surface texture or paper stock
    Life expectancy varies from dismal to off the scale. Paper must be matched to
    inkset used. Most less expensive printers use dye based inks. Only certain
    papers (ie Epson Color Life and similar)will give reasonable life expectancy,
    close to traditional chemical print life. With pigmented ink injet printers
    give excellent life expectancy, past the best of chemical prints.
    Price is $1+ per 8x10 depending on the paper used.

    To acheive maximum print life any paper must be stored or shown in a controled
    light and dry environment. On the wall they should be framed.

    Moral of the story, if you are happy with 8x10 and glossy, you should be happy
    with a dye sub. If you want larger prints a pigment based inkjet printer is
    also a good choice.

    Tom
    Tom Monego, Dec 14, 2003
  5. Niblets

    Clay Guest

    "Tom Monego" <> wrote in message

    > Moral of the story, if you are happy with 8x10 and glossy, you should be happy
    > with a dye sub. If you want larger prints a pigment based inkjet printer is
    > also a good choice.
    >
    > Tom

    the olympus is *not* limited to glossy.
    Clay, Dec 14, 2003
  6. Niblets

    Arthur Small Guest

    There are dye sub printers that print 8 x 10 and sizes in between.
    Arthur Small, Dec 14, 2003