    updates etc and the machine is virus and spyware free.

    Cheers

    :)
    ardz, Jul 3, 2005

  2. ardz

    ardz Guest

    "XPD" <> wrote in message
    news:42c85fd6$...

    > "ardz" <> wrote in message
    > > Hi,i seem to be getting this error on shutdown on win xp. I have just
    > > upgraded my Norton AV 2002 to the latest 2005 version so i assumed it

    had
    > > something to do with that program. Looking at the Symantec site doesnt
    > > help
    > > and ive tried a few pointers via google with no success. I believe there
    > > is
    > > an easy way to disable this executable from working??. Anyone

    experienced
    > > this problem and found a fix?. Thanks for any advice. I have all the
    > > windows
    > > updates etc and the machine is virus and spyware free.

    > dwwin - dwwin.exe - Process Information
    > Process File: dwwin or dwwin.exe
    > Process Name: Microsoft Doctor Watson

    > dwwin.exe is a part of the Microsoft Doctor Watson error reporting tool
    > which comes packaged with some Microsoft products. This program is

    important
    > for the stable and secure running of your computer and should not be
    > terminated.
    > Author: Microsoft
    > Part Of: Microsoft Doctor Watson
    >
    > System Process: No
    > Background Process: Yes
    > Uses Network: No
    > Hardware Related: No
    > Common Errors: N/A
    > Memory Usage: N/A

    Hmmmm...so it shouldnt be terminated. My PC still shuts down alright and
    doesnt seem to have any problems but that warning that comes up just before
    it shuts down is annoying.
    ardz, Jul 3, 2005

  3. ardz

    Dave Taylor Guest

    "ardz" <> wrote in

    > Hmmmm...so it shouldnt be terminated. My PC still shuts down alright
    > and doesnt seem to have any problems but that warning that comes up
    > just before it shuts down is annoying.

    What do the event logs have to say about it?

    --
    Ciao, Dave
    Dave Taylor, Jul 5, 2005
  4. ardz

    Ardz Guest

    "Dave Taylor" <> wrote in message
    > "ardz" <> wrote in
    >
    >> Hmmmm...so it shouldnt be terminated. My PC still shuts down alright
    >> and doesnt seem to have any problems but that warning that comes up
    >> just before it shuts down is annoying.
    >>

    > What do the event logs have to say about it?
    >

    > --
    > Ciao, Dave

    In event viewer i get "application popup" dwwin.exe - DLL initialisation
    failed: The application failed to initialize because the window station is
    shutting down".

    The funny thing is that my other PC running XP is doing the same thing now?.
    I assume its something common between the 2 PCs such as a windows update
    maybe? The second PC runs Norton AV 2004. Both are fully updated patch wise.
    Ive tried deleting the last windows update KB896344 but that didnt seem to
    affect it.
    Ardz, Jul 5, 2005
  5. ardz

    Richard Guest

    Ardz wrote:

    > The funny thing is that my other PC running XP is doing the same thing now?.
    > I assume its something common between the 2 PCs such as a windows update
    > maybe? The second PC runs Norton AV 2004. Both are fully updated patch wise.
    > Ive tried deleting the last windows update KB896344 but that didnt seem to
    > affect it.

    dwwin is the annoying program that does the "oops an application has crashed,
    would you like to tell microsoft" dialogs. If a program crashes when your
    shutting down, that happens.
    Richard, Jul 5, 2005
  6. ardz

    Adam Guest

    On Tue, 05 Jul 2005 21:28:04 +1200, Richard wrote:

    >Ardz wrote:

    >dwwin is the annoying program that does the "oops an application has crashed,
    >would you like to tell microsoft" dialogs. If a program crashes when your
    >shutting down, that happens.

    If this is true, then there's a way of turning this reporting dialog
    off completely. I just wish I knew where I saw it. Try Googling
    around.

    Adam.
    Adam, Jul 5, 2005