    Thanks In Advance
    ron
    ..
    Ronald Murray, Aug 19, 2007

  2. Ronald Murray

    Pen Guest

    Ronald Murray wrote:
    > Hello
    > I purchased a monitor but the cable end that plugs into the computer is a
    > DVI-D(Male) I think. Just going by the diagrams I found online.
    > My computer has a 15 pin VGA output(Female)
    > Is there an adapter that is DVI-D female on one end & VGA male on the other
    > end?
    > Or is this even possible?
    > Thanks In Advance
    > ron
    > ..

    The only converters I'm aware of use only the Analog inputs of a DVI-I
    input. Your situation would require a Digital to Analog converter, which
    would be expensive. You're probably better off with a new video card.
    Pen, Aug 20, 2007

  3. Ronald Murray

    Paul Guest

    Pen wrote:
    > Ronald Murray wrote:
    >> Hello
    >> I purchased a monitor but the cable end that plugs into the computer
    >> is a DVI-D(Male) I think. Just going by the diagrams I found online.
    >> My computer has a 15 pin VGA output(Female)
    >> Is there an adapter that is DVI-D female on one end & VGA male on the
    >> other end?
    >> Or is this even possible?
    >> Thanks In Advance
    >> ron
    >> ..
    >>

    > The only converters I'm aware of use only the Analog inputs of a DVI-I
    > input. Your situation would require a Digital to Analog converter, which
    > would be expensive. You're probably better off with a new video card.

    Or perhaps a different monitor. There are some monitors that come with
    a VGA input and a DVI input, giving the best of both worlds. Such a monitor
    can be used with old computers, when needed.

    There is a converter here for $330, and you could get another monitor for
    that price.

    http://www.gefen.com/kvm/product.jsp?prod_id=4341

    One for $400

    http://www2.dvigear.com/vgatodvicosc.html

    One for $288

    http://www.smartvm.com/VGA-to-DVI-D-Converter-P7557.htm

    Paul
    Paul, Aug 20, 2007
  4. Ronald Murray

    mikey coons Guest

    "Paul" <> wrote in message news:fab06e$rg$...
    >>> Is there an adapter that is DVI-D female on one end & VGA male on the
    >>> other end?
    >>> Or is this even possible?
    >>> Thanks In Advance
    >>> ron
    >>> ..

    I'vew got the opposite problem. My new(ish) video card is VGA only. MY older
    ATI is both. However, my Radeon is in my Linux box and I put the newer VGA
    in my new windows box. (with Samsung 22' LCD).

    The only Linux distro that worked with my DVI is Ubuntu (it even picked up
    my wifi USB, no problem).

    A new DVI+VGA card can be had for about $30 from newegg. That's what I'd do.
    mikey coons, Aug 24, 2007