    take at least a night rather than 20 minutes to backup 1 90 minute
    DVD. Anyone knows? Thanks.
    , Feb 18, 2004

  2. Jay Jay Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > Just wanna say what an amazing user-friendly software this is. It's
    > truly a SW worth paying for.

    Hope you didn't pay for it, because it's freeware :)

    > I'm just wondering about the technology behind it. It obviously
    > doesn't decode the MPEG2 stream and re-encode it. Otherwise, it'll
    > take at least a night rather than 20 minutes to backup 1 90 minute
    > DVD. Anyone knows? Thanks.

    DVDshrink is a transcoder.

    According to doom9.org:

    "Recently, compressed domain transcoders have reached quite some
    popularity. These transcoders are based on algorithms designed to
    recompress an MPEG-2 stream in real-time for TV broadcast. These
    programs can transcode an entire DVD movie in only a few minutes,
    because they do not have to decode and re-encode the entire video
    stream, but only part of it."

    Here's the guide for dvdshrink:
    http://www.doom9.org/mpg/dvdshrink31-main.htm

    Greets!
    Jay Jay, Feb 18, 2004

  3. Nic Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > Just wanna say what an amazing user-friendly software this is. It's
    > truly a SW worth paying for.
    >
    > I'm just wondering about the technology behind it. It obviously
    > doesn't decode the MPEG2 stream and re-encode it. Otherwise, it'll
    > take at least a night rather than 20 minutes to backup 1 90 minute
    > DVD. Anyone knows? Thanks.

    It is a transcoder like DVD2One. It compresses the video (audio is
    untouched). I have been using it since the first version and agree is it is
    wonderful software.

    ---
    Nic, Feb 18, 2004
  4. Ray Guest

    yup.........DVDshrink is the shit..........cannot find out how to donate
    tho.......would if I could......

    Ray, Feb 21, 2004