    because -- from what I can tell anyway -- 99% of all other movies (at least
    from major studios) have at least some kind of menu, even if they don't
    have a lot of bonus features.

    Dennis M, Jul 11, 2005

  2. Dennis M

    Bill Turner Guest

    Dennis M wrote:

    > A couple of months ago I bought the DVD of "White Palace," a movie
    > from 1990 I always kind of liked, in the bargain bin at Wal-Mart for
    > $5.50. I finally got around to watching it and I notice it doesn't
    > even have the simplest of menus -- the movie just starts when you put
    > the disc in the player, then when the movie is over, it just starts
    > playing again.

    <snip>

    Does the phrase "you get what you pay for" have any meaning to you?

    --
    BT

    Bill Turner, Jul 12, 2005

  3. On 12 Jul 2005 00:59:01 GMT, "Bill Turner" <>
    wrote:

    >Dennis M wrote:
    >
    >> A couple of months ago I bought the DVD of "White Palace," a movie
    >> from 1990 I always kind of liked, in the bargain bin at Wal-Mart for
    >> $5.50. I finally got around to watching it and I notice it doesn't
    >> even have the simplest of menus -- the movie just starts when you put
    >> the disc in the player, then when the movie is over, it just starts
    >> playing again.

    ><snip>
    >
    >Does the phrase "you get what you pay for" have any meaning to you?

    Erm, for $1.99 maybe, but even MGM titles come out at $5.50. For that
    price one SHOULD have a menu, or the suggestion that some care has
    been put into its mastering.

    ... Steve ..

    Steve(JazzHunter), Jul 12, 2005
  4. Dennis M

    AceoHearts Guest

    > You may argue, "Why have a menu when it only says 'Play Movie'?" Well,
    > because -- from what I can tell anyway -- 99% of all other movies (at
    > least
    > from major studios) have at least some kind of menu, even if they don't
    > have a lot of bonus features.

    People complain because movies don't even have the original trailer, or that
    a DVD doesn't even have a chapter stop insert with it, and now this. I
    think that we should all make a little checklist and open up the case in the
    store and play the movie on a portable player to make sure it has everything
    just the way you like it. But then you may have to get several of them
    because the security sticker was placed over 1/1000 of an inch of the top of
    the front cover and you accidentally tore it.
    It is late, I need my meds, and people need to stop complaining about the
    little things. If it mentions a menu on the case and then there is not one,
    then you can complain. Until then forget it. Next you will be complaining
    about all the trailers you had to watch just to get to the menu, then you
    had to navigate through 3 sets of 3-D screens to get to the widescreen
    version. Have you forgotten the days that when you wanted to watch a movie
    at home you had to use a projector and a screen?

    AceoHearts

    AceoHearts, Jul 12, 2005
  5. Dennis M

    Justin Guest

    Steve(JazzHunter) wrote on [Mon, 11 Jul 2005 23:02:05 -0400]:
    > On 12 Jul 2005 00:59:01 GMT, "Bill Turner" <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>Dennis M wrote:
    >>
    >>> A couple of months ago I bought the DVD of "White Palace," a movie
    >>> from 1990 I always kind of liked, in the bargain bin at Wal-Mart for
    >>> $5.50. I finally got around to watching it and I notice it doesn't
    >>> even have the simplest of menus -- the movie just starts when you put
    >>> the disc in the player, then when the movie is over, it just starts
    >>> playing again.

    >><snip>
    >>_________________________________________________
    >>
    >>Does the phrase "you get what you pay for" have any meaning to you?

    > Erm, for $1.99 maybe, but even MGM titles come out at $5.50. For that
    > price one SHOULD have a menu, or the suggestion that some care has
    > been put into its mastering.

    Oh bullshit, 5.50 isn't even an hours worth of somebody's time.

    Justin, Jul 12, 2005
  6. Justin wrote:

    > Oh bullshit, 5.50 isn't even an hours worth of somebody's time.

    Um, go back to school and study economies of scale.

    John

    The Man Behind The Curtain, Jul 12, 2005
  7. AceoHearts wrote:

    > People complain because movies don't even have the original trailer, or that
    > a DVD doesn't even have a chapter stop insert with it, and now this. I
    > think that we should all make a little checklist and open up the case in the
    > store and play the movie on a portable player to make sure it has everything
    > just the way you like it. But then you may have to get several of them
    > because the security sticker was placed over 1/1000 of an inch of the top of
    > the front cover and you accidentally tore it.
    > It is late, I need my meds, and people need to stop complaining about the
    > little things. If it mentions a menu on the case and then there is not one,
    > then you can complain. Until then forget it. Next you will be complaining
    > about all the trailers you had to watch just to get to the menu, then you
    > had to navigate through 3 sets of 3-D screens to get to the widescreen
    > version. Have you forgotten the days that when you wanted to watch a movie
    > at home you had to use a projector and a screen?

    Time was you had to hnd-crank your car to start it, too, but if I still
    had to do that, yeah, I'd bitch, even if the car were a Kia.

    John

    The Man Behind The Curtain, Jul 12, 2005
  8. Dennis M

    Goro Guest

    Dennis M wrote:
    > A couple of months ago I bought the DVD of "White Palace," a movie from
    > 1990 I always kind of liked, in the bargain bin at Wal-Mart for $5.50. I
    > finally got around to watching it and I notice it doesn't even have the
    > simplest of menus -- the movie just starts when you put the disc in the
    > player, then when the movie is over, it just starts playing again.
    >
    > I've seen this with really cheapo (I'm talking $1.99 stuff like "Charade,"
    > "Suddenly," etc.) public domain stuff put out by indie companies, but never
    > before with a movie from a major studio like Universal. I realize it's
    > costly to add bonus features and the studios can't do that with every
    > single movie they release, but jeez, how much of an expense would it be
    > just to stick a simple menu in so the movie doesn't start playing
    > automatically? I hope this is not the start of a trend.
    >
    > You may argue, "Why have a menu when it only says 'Play Movie'?" Well,
    > because -- from what I can tell anyway -- 99% of all other movies (at least
    > from major studios) have at least some kind of menu, even if they don't
    > have a lot of bonus features.

    Hell, I WISH most of my DVDs didn't have a stupid animating menu.

    In fact, many I re-burn WITHOUT the menu so i can just put the disc in
    and play the movie.

    -goro-

    Goro, Jul 12, 2005
  9. On Mon, 11 Jul 2005 16:32:12 -0500, (Dennis M) wrote:

    >it doesn't even have the
    >simplest of menus -- the movie just starts when you put the disc in the
    >player

    ahhh... Heaven!

    Kimba W. Lion, Jul 12, 2005
  10. Dennis M

    Jer Guest

    Justin wrote:
    > Steve(JazzHunter) wrote on [Mon, 11 Jul 2005 23:02:05 -0400]:
    >
    >>On 12 Jul 2005 00:59:01 GMT, "Bill Turner" <>
    >>wrote:

    >>><snip>
    >>>_________________________________________________
    >>>
    >>>Does the phrase "you get what you pay for" have any meaning to you?

    >>Erm, for $1.99 maybe, but even MGM titles come out at $5.50. For that
    >>price one SHOULD have a menu, or the suggestion that some care has
    >>been put into its mastering.

    > Oh bullshit, 5.50 isn't even an hours worth of somebody's time.

    Well, not in the U.S. labor market...

    --
    jer
    email reply - I am not a 'ten'

    Jer, Jul 13, 2005
  11. Dennis M

    Alpha Guest

    >> People complain because movies don't even have the original trailer, or
    >> that a DVD doesn't even have a chapter stop insert with it, and now this.

    > Time was you had to hnd-crank your car to start it, too, but if I still
    > had to do that, yeah, I'd bitch, even if the car were a Kia.

    You think you are clever? You are NOT. Your analysis and comments are very
    lame.

    Alpha, Jul 14, 2005
  12. Dennis M

    Jay G. Guest

    On 12 Jul 2005 10:41:49 -0700, Goro wrote:

    > Dennis M wrote:
    >> A couple of months ago I bought the DVD of "White Palace," a movie from
    >> 1990 I always kind of liked, in the bargain bin at Wal-Mart for $5.50. I
    >> finally got around to watching it and I notice it doesn't even have the
    >> simplest of menus -- the movie just starts when you put the disc in the
    >> player, then when the movie is over, it just starts playing again.
    >>
    >> I've seen this with really cheapo (I'm talking $1.99 stuff like "Charade,"
    >> "Suddenly," etc.) public domain stuff put out by indie companies, but never
    >> before with a movie from a major studio like Universal. I realize it's
    >> costly to add bonus features and the studios can't do that with every
    >> single movie they release, but jeez, how much of an expense would it be
    >> just to stick a simple menu in so the movie doesn't start playing
    >> automatically? I hope this is not the start of a trend.
    >>
    >> You may argue, "Why have a menu when it only says 'Play Movie'?" Well,
    >> because -- from what I can tell anyway -- 99% of all other movies (at least
    >> from major studios) have at least some kind of menu, even if they don't
    >> have a lot of bonus features.

    > Hell, I WISH most of my DVDs didn't have a stupid animating menu.
    >
    > In fact, many I re-burn WITHOUT the menu so i can just put the disc in
    > and play the movie.

    There are DVD players that have a feature that automatically skips the menu
    and plays the largest title on the disc (typically the movie). It's
    usually not an advertised feature. Oddly enough, the ones that *do*
    advertise it are usually kid-orientated players, since I guess they assume
    3-year-olds may not want to **** with a menu to watch Barney.

    In regards to the original post, I seem to recall owning a Universal DVD
    that automatically played the movie. Of course, it still had a menu, and
    you could get to it by pressing the "menu" button on the remote. Don't
    know if it looped the feature.

    -Jay

    Jay G., Jul 14, 2005
  13. Dennis M

    Goro Guest

    Jay G. wrote:
    > On 12 Jul 2005 10:41:49 -0700, Goro wrote:
    >
    > > Dennis M wrote:
    > >> A couple of months ago I bought the DVD of "White Palace," a movie from
    > >> 1990 I always kind of liked, in the bargain bin at Wal-Mart for $5.50. I
    > >> finally got around to watching it and I notice it doesn't even have the
    > >> simplest of menus -- the movie just starts when you put the disc in the
    > >> player, then when the movie is over, it just starts playing again.
    > >>
    > >> I've seen this with really cheapo (I'm talking $1.99 stuff like "Charade,"
    > >> "Suddenly," etc.) public domain stuff put out by indie companies, but never
    > >> before with a movie from a major studio like Universal. I realize it's
    > >> costly to add bonus features and the studios can't do that with every
    > >> single movie they release, but jeez, how much of an expense would it be
    > >> just to stick a simple menu in so the movie doesn't start playing
    > >> automatically? I hope this is not the start of a trend.
    > >>
    > >> You may argue, "Why have a menu when it only says 'Play Movie'?" Well,
    > >> because -- from what I can tell anyway -- 99% of all other movies (at least
    > >> from major studios) have at least some kind of menu, even if they don't
    > >> have a lot of bonus features.

    > > Hell, I WISH most of my DVDs didn't have a stupid animating menu.
    > >
    > > In fact, many I re-burn WITHOUT the menu so i can just put the disc in
    > > and play the movie.

    > There are DVD players that have a feature that automatically skips the menu
    > and plays the largest title on the disc (typically the movie). It's
    > usually not an advertised feature. Oddly enough, the ones that *do*
    > advertise it are usually kid-orientated players, since I guess they assume
    > 3-year-olds may not want to **** with a menu to watch Barney.

    That's pretty cool. If the DVD player itself is worth a damb (nice
    codec, 720p, DVI out, etc..) I'd look to buy one...

    > In regards to the original post, I seem to recall owning a Universal DVD
    > that automatically played the movie. Of course, it still had a menu, and
    > you could get to it by pressing the "menu" button on the remote. Don't
    > know if it looped the feature.

    I noticed that many, if not all, Japanese R2 DVDs are like this. You
    put it in and it bypasses the menu and just starts playing th efeature.
    the full menu is still there, you just need to hit MENU to get to it.
    VERY nice feature if you ask me.

    -goro-

    Goro, Jul 14, 2005
  14. Dennis M

    Jay Stewart Guest

    <snip>

    > I noticed that many, if not all, Japanese R2 DVDs are like this. You
    > put it in and it bypasses the menu and just starts playing th efeature.
    > the full menu is still there, you just need to hit MENU to get to it.
    > VERY nice feature if you ask me.
    >
    > -goro-

    Those Japanese folks are so clever....

    Jay Stewart, Jul 14, 2005
  15. "Jay G." <> wrote in

    > There are DVD players that have a feature that automatically skips the
    > menu and plays the largest title on the disc (typically the movie).

    Great. Are there any players that do the opposite (default to the
    menu) no matter what disc you put in? I like menus because they let me
    control exactly when the movie starts, and I often use the FBI/Interpol
    warnings as a chance to get some snacks or adjust the ambient lighting.
    I get kind of annoyed when I finally make a sandwich, only to have the
    movie start without me.

    --

    Aaron J. Bossig

    http://www.GodsLabRat.com
    http://www.dvdverdict.com

    Aaron J. Bossig, Jul 15, 2005
  16. Dennis M

    FAQmeister Guest

    "Alpha" <> wrote in message
    >>> People complain because movies don't even have the original
    >>> trailer, or that a DVD doesn't even have a chapter stop insert with
    >>> it, and now this. I

    >> Time was you had to hnd-crank your car to start it, too, but if I
    >> still had to do that, yeah, I'd bitch, even if the car were a Kia.

    > You think you are clever? You are NOT. Your analysis and comments
    > are very lame.

    But not quite as lame as your response.
    --
    The alt.video.dvd faq is located at:
    http://aww-faq.org/dvdfaq.html

    FAQmeister, Jul 15, 2005
  17. Dennis M

    Jay G. Guest

    On Thu, 14 Jul 2005 20:31:56 -0500, Aaron J. Bossig wrote:

    > "Jay G." <> wrote in
    >
    >> There are DVD players that have a feature that automatically skips the
    >> menu and plays the largest title on the disc (typically the movie).

    > Great. Are there any players that do the opposite (default to the
    > menu) no matter what disc you put in?

    Not that I know of. The ones that auto-play the feature skip all the
    "menu" screens, including the FBI warnings.

    > I like menus because they let me
    > control exactly when the movie starts, and I often use the FBI/Interpol
    > warnings as a chance to get some snacks or adjust the ambient lighting.
    > I get kind of annoyed when I finally make a sandwich, only to have the
    > movie start without me.

    There's these buttons, found on almost every remote, that lets you "skip"
    to the next or previous chapter on a DVD. If you push the "previous"
    button, usually marked "|<<", it will take you to the beginning of the
    film. There's also these "stop" and "pause" buttons that halt the
    playback.

    -Jay

    Jay G., Jul 16, 2005
  18. Dennis M

    Guest

    On 14-Jul-2005, "Goro" <> wrote:

    > That's pretty cool. If the DVD player itself is worth a damb (nice
    > codec, 720p, DVI out, etc..) I'd look to buy one...

    My 1999 RCA does this, and if there are multiple movies on the DVD, play one
    after the other. My new 6 disc Onika (sp) won't do either....

    , Jul 20, 2005
  19. Dennis M

    Ken Arromdee Guest

    The DVD for Aeon Flux has no menu at all. It has a promo for something else
    at the start, but the promo is just tacked onto the front, not on a menu.
    --
    Ken Arromdee / arromdee_AT_rahul.net / http://www.rahul.net/arromdee

    "You know, you blow up one sun and suddenly everyone expects you to walk
    on water." --Samantha Carter, Stargate SG-1

    Ken Arromdee, Jul 25, 2005