DVDs with THX calibration procedures?

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by Nic, May 26, 2004.

  1. Nic

    Nic Guest

    Hi,

    Which DVDs have a THX calibration/setup procedure
    on the DVD? (ie. THX Optimode)

    (Many DVDs are THX certified - many of these,
    however, have no THX calibration procedure.)

    Currently the only THX calibration that I have seen
    was on the "Manhunter" DVD. It had video and audio
    calibration. Are there any more DVDs with such
    procedures? A list of such titles would be nice
    to have at hand for reference.

    I've checked this link
    http://www.thx.com/mod/products/dvdFind.html
    but it just lists THX certified DVDs, with
    no indication which ones have THX calibration
    procedures.

    --

    Nic.

    Nic, May 26, 2004

  2. Nic

    Mike Kohary Guest

    Nic wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > Which DVDs have a THX calibration/setup procedure
    > on the DVD? (ie. THX Optimode)
    >
    > (Many DVDs are THX certified - many of these,
    > however, have no THX calibration procedure.)
    >
    > Currently the only THX calibration that I have seen
    > was on the "Manhunter" DVD. It had video and audio
    > calibration. Are there any more DVDs with such
    > procedures? A list of such titles would be nice
    > to have at hand for reference.
    >
    > I've checked this link
    > http://www.thx.com/mod/products/dvdFind.html
    > but it just lists THX certified DVDs, with
    > no indication which ones have THX calibration
    > procedures.

    Not sure if it's the official THX calibration, but Star Wars Episode 2 has a
    calibration sequence on it.

    Mike

    Mike Kohary, May 26, 2004

  3. Nic

    Mark W Guest

    "Nic" <> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > Which DVDs have a THX calibration/setup procedure
    > on the DVD? (ie. THX Optimode)

    'Finding Nemo' has a THX calibration which takes you through sound and
    vision, test cards, etc. It's quite comprehensive!

    Mark W, May 26, 2004
  4. Nic

    Hyde Guest

    "Mike Kohary" <> wrote:

    | Not sure if it's the official THX calibration, but Star Wars Episode 2 has a
    | calibration sequence on it.

    THX being a Lucas company and all, I think there's a really good
    chance that the THX OPTIMIZER in the Star Wars DVDs is the official
    one.

    Hyde
    -
    "Ad hoc, ad loc and quid pro quo…
    so little time, so much to know!".
    ~ Jeremy Hillary Boop ~

    Hyde, May 26, 2004
  5. Nic

    Joshua Zyber Guest

    "Nic" <> wrote in message
    > Which DVDs have a THX calibration/setup procedure
    > on the DVD? (ie. THX Optimode)

    THX Optimode is inherently flawed in its design. The test patterns
    encoded on any two movie titles are likely to be wildly different from
    one another.

    You are better off buying a dedicated calibration disc. Both Digital
    Video Essential and the Sound & Vision Home Theater Tune-Up can be
    purchased for under $20.

    Joshua Zyber, May 26, 2004
  6. On Wed, 26 May 2004 22:50:00 GMT, "Joshua Zyber"
    <> wrote:

    >"Nic" <> wrote in message
    >> Which DVDs have a THX calibration/setup procedure
    >> on the DVD? (ie. THX Optimode)

    >THX Optimode is inherently flawed in its design. The test patterns
    >encoded on any two movie titles are likely to be wildly different from
    >one another.
    >
    >You are better off buying a dedicated calibration disc. Both Digital
    >Video Essential and the Sound & Vision Home Theater Tune-Up can be
    >purchased for under $20.

    That's true, however I will add that T2, both versions, has a very
    accurate Optimode calibration setup.

    . Steve .

    Steve(JazzHunter), May 27, 2004
  7. Nic wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > Which DVDs have a THX calibration/setup procedure
    > on the DVD? (ie. THX Optimode)
    >
    > (Many DVDs are THX certified - many of these,
    > however, have no THX calibration procedure.)

    I think you may not be looking hard enough. Every THX DVD should have it.

    You're better off with a real calibration disc anyway, a cheap (and very
    good) one is Digital Video Essentials, which is the latest in a series
    that goes back to A Video Standard, the first calibration LD for
    consumers. Try buying it online, it's about 17 bucks.
    www.deepdiscountdvd.com

    --
    "Hey, I bet people will buy my ugly shirts if I put my name on them."
    --Tommy Hilfiger

    Grand Inquisitor

    Grand Inquisitor, May 27, 2004
  8. Joshua Zyber wrote:

    > "Nic" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>Which DVDs have a THX calibration/setup procedure
    >>on the DVD? (ie. THX Optimode)

    > THX Optimode is inherently flawed in its design. The test patterns
    > encoded on any two movie titles are likely to be wildly different from
    > one another.

    I believe Home Theater magazine confronted this rumor and said that
    according to their info, it wasn't true. However, what you said here is
    definitely true:

    > You are better off buying a dedicated calibration disc. Both Digital
    > Video Essential and the Sound & Vision Home Theater Tune-Up can be
    > purchased for under $20.

    I bought DVE for 17 bucks on Deep Discount, and I wouldn't be without it.

    Grand Inquisitor, May 27, 2004
  9. Nic

    Joshua Zyber Guest

    "Grand Inquisitor" <> wrote in message
    > > THX Optimode is inherently flawed in its design. The test patterns
    > > encoded on any two movie titles are likely to be wildly different

    from
    > > one another.

    > I believe Home Theater magazine confronted this rumor and said that
    > according to their info, it wasn't true.

    It is true. I've experienced it for myself. The Optimode patterns on
    Manhunter, for example, are very different from those on Attack of the
    Clones.

    This is the same THX organization, remember, who thought that the
    original DVD release of Highlander was a fine product worthy of their
    stamp of approval, and who still continue to edge enhance the hell out
    of their DVD masters (the thick, bright ringing halos throughout their
    master of Tombstone are unwatchable on a large screen).

    Joshua Zyber, May 27, 2004
  10. Joshua Zyber wrote:

    > "Grand Inquisitor" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>>THX Optimode is inherently flawed in its design. The test patterns
    >>>encoded on any two movie titles are likely to be wildly different

    > from
    >
    >>>one another.

    >>I believe Home Theater magazine confronted this rumor and said that
    >>according to their info, it wasn't true.

    > It is true. I've experienced it for myself. The Optimode patterns on
    > Manhunter, for example, are very different from those on Attack of the
    > Clones.
    >
    > This is the same THX organization, remember, who thought that the
    > original DVD release of Highlander was a fine product worthy of their
    > stamp of approval, and who still continue to edge enhance the hell out
    > of their DVD masters (the thick, bright ringing halos throughout their
    > master of Tombstone are unwatchable on a large screen).

    Well, the problem is that THX has rigorous standards, except these
    standards pertain to only a few aspects of a good transfer, and they
    totally ignore important things like a TOTAL LACK OF EDGE ENHANCEMENT.

    Grand Inquisitor, May 27, 2004
  11. Nic

    Biz Guest

    "Joshua Zyber" <> wrote in message
    > "Nic" <> wrote in message
    > > Which DVDs have a THX calibration/setup procedure
    > > on the DVD? (ie. THX Optimode)

    > THX Optimode is inherently flawed in its design. The test patterns
    > encoded on any two movie titles are likely to be wildly different from
    > one another.
    >
    > You are better off buying a dedicated calibration disc. Both Digital
    > Video Essential and the Sound & Vision Home Theater Tune-Up can be
    > purchased for under $20.

    THX Optimode is specifically tailored for the movie it is included with. SO
    its really not flawed, its not meant to be the reference calibration like
    AVIA, or DVE is.

    Biz, May 27, 2004
  12. Nic

    Joshua Zyber Guest

    "Biz" <> wrote in message
    > THX Optimode is specifically tailored for the movie it is included

    with. SO
    > its really not flawed, its not meant to be the reference calibration

    like
    > AVIA, or DVE is.

    It is flawed, because this concept for calibration is idiotic.

    Joshua Zyber, May 27, 2004