    but the only versions in the States are VHS. Though, they do have it on DVD
    for Region 2.

    TIA

    mhicaoidh, Feb 27, 2005

  2. mhicaoidh

    WormWood Guest

    "mhicaoidh" <®êmõvé_mhic_aoidh@hotÑîXmailŠPäM.com> wrote in message
    news:ppqUd.5995$Ze3.3902@attbi_s51...
    > Will a DVD that is marked as Region 2 (UK) play in a DVD player
    > purchased in the US? I want "Una Pura Formalita" (A Pure Formality)
    > on DVD,
    > but the only versions in the States are VHS. Though, they do have it
    > on DVD
    > for Region 2.

    Maybe:
    http://hometheaterinfo.com/dvd3.htm

    Be sure to follow the links

    ..

    WormWood, Feb 27, 2005

  3. mhicaoidh

    SwissTony Guest

    "mhicaoidh" <®êmõvé_mhic_aoidh@hotÑîXmailSPäM.com> wrote in message
    > Will a DVD that is marked as Region 2 (UK) play in a DVD player
    > purchased in the US? I want "Una Pura Formalita" (A Pure Formality) on

    DVD,
    > but the only versions in the States are VHS. Though, they do have it on

    DVD
    > for Region 2.
    >
    > TIA

    region 2 is europe region 1 is usa i beleive.
    you may be able to find a hack for your dvd player that will make it region
    free so you can play any region.
    post the make and model of ur dvd player and i will have a look

    SwissTony, Feb 27, 2005
  4. mhicaoidh

    D@Z Guest

    it will if you can set the DVD player to multiregion, if you cant then NO it
    wont,thats the whole point of having region discs!

    D@Z, Feb 27, 2005
  5. mhicaoidh

    mhicaoidh Guest

    Taking a moment's reflection, SwissTony mused:

    | you may be able to find a hack for your dvd player that will make it
    | region free so you can play any region.
    | post the make and model of ur dvd player and i will have a look

    It's a Philips DVP642 ...

    mhicaoidh, Feb 28, 2005
  6. mhicaoidh

    mhicaoidh Guest

    Taking a moment's reflection, mhicaoidh mused:

    | It's a Philips DVP642 ...

    I just had a look through the setup menus, and I couldn't find anything
    for region. However, it has a video output setting with options for Multi,
    NTSC, and PAL.

    I understand the reason for regions, but why make something that is only
    released in a single region to being with "region locked"? It's not like
    it's competing with itself in other regions.

    mhicaoidh, Feb 28, 2005
  7. mhicaoidh

    mhicaoidh Guest

    Taking a moment's reflection, SwissTony mused:

    | region 2 is europe region 1 is usa i beleive.
    | you may be able to find a hack for your dvd player that will make it
    | region free so you can play any region.
    | post the make and model of ur dvd player and i will have a look

    Due to your mention of region hacks (I didn't know there was such a
    thing before posting), I did some searching (so hopefully I will save you
    some time) ... For the Philips DVP-642:

    | 1. Turn on the player.
    | 2. Open the tray.
    | 3. Press the following sequence on the remote: 7 8 9 OK 0
    | 4. The number 0 will appear on the lower left side of your screen.
    | 5. Your player is now region free! Put in a DVD and enjoy! :)
    |
    | NOTE: The 0 in the sequence above represents the region code.
    | 0 = region free. If you want to change your player to just a specific
    | region code, replace the 0 with the region number you want.

    Many people reported success with the above (link below), but I will
    have to wait until my Region 2 DVD I just ordered arrives to verify for
    myself. Thanks all for the pointers, and information!

    http://www.videohelp.com/dvdhacks.php?select=Philips DVP 642

    mhicaoidh, Feb 28, 2005