    screwing up the picture. The TV I use is an older model and doesn't have RCA
    jacks. Is it an RF convrter that will fix that problem??

    TIA
    News, Apr 6, 2005

  2. News

    Joshua Zyber Guest

    "News" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    >I think my VCR is seeing the DVD signal as an attempt to copy and is
    >screwing up the picture.

    That is exactly correct. The Macrovision copy protection signal from the
    DVD player will screw up the picture if you connect to a VCR.

    > The TV I use is an older model and doesn't have RCA jacks. Is it an RF
    > convrter that will fix that problem??

    Yes, go to Radio Shack and buy an RF Modulator. You shouldn't have any
    problem figuring out which item you need. It's probably the most popular
    thing the store sells. They have "DVD" written on the box in big
    letters, and around these parts the stores display them in the windows.
    Joshua Zyber, Apr 6, 2005

  3. News

    Biz Guest

    Yes, you need an RF modulator. Available at Radio Shack, or anyplace that
    carries av accessories...

    Biz, Apr 6, 2005
  4. News

    TCS Guest

    On Wed, 06 Apr 2005 16:30:05 GMT, Biz <> wrote:
    >Yes, you need an RF modulator. Available at Radio Shack, or anyplace that
    >carries av accessories...

    You really shouldn't post when you don't have the slightest clue what you're
    talking about.

    An RF modulator will NOT remove the macrovision crap. The only way around
    it a video input on a TV that is new enough to not barf on macrovision, or
    a box like the suma color corrector to remove the macrovision.
    TCS, Apr 6, 2005
  5. News

    Justin Guest

    TCS wrote on [Wed, 06 Apr 2005 11:37:07 -0500]:
    > On Wed, 06 Apr 2005 16:30:05 GMT, Biz <> wrote:
    >>Yes, you need an RF modulator. Available at Radio Shack, or anyplace that
    >>carries av accessories...

    > You really shouldn't post when you don't have the slightest clue what you're
    > talking about.
    >
    > An RF modulator will NOT remove the macrovision crap. The only way around
    > it a video input on a TV that is new enough to not barf on macrovision, or
    > a box like the suma color corrector to remove the macrovision.

    You're one to talk. An RF modulator will take input from the DVD player
    and connect it to the TV using the antenna/cable in cord.
    Justin, Apr 6, 2005
  6. News

    Rich Clark Guest

    TCS wrote:
    > On Wed, 06 Apr 2005 16:30:05 GMT, Biz <> wrote:
    > >Yes, you need an RF modulator. Available at Radio Shack, or

    anyplace that
    > >carries av accessories...

    > You really shouldn't post when you don't have the slightest clue what

    you're
    > talking about.
    >
    > An RF modulator will NOT remove the macrovision crap. The only way

    around
    > it a video input on a TV that is new enough to not barf on

    macrovision, or
    > a box like the suma color corrector to remove the macrovision.

    Do you have to plug all the holes in your head to keep the shit from
    leaking out?

    To the OP: Ignore this moron. Millions of RF modulators are in service
    for the specific purpose you require. It's not about "removing
    Macrovision." It's that Macrovision is specifically designed to confuse
    the video sync circuits in VCRs; using an RF modulator simply converts
    the signal to a "broadcast" type signal your TV's antenna jack can pick
    up.

    RichC
    Rich Clark, Apr 6, 2005
  7. News

    theyak Guest

    In article <slrnd5841j.m4v.The-Central-
    >, The-Central-
    says...
    > On Wed, 06 Apr 2005 16:30:05 GMT, Biz <> wrote:
    > >Yes, you need an RF modulator. Available at Radio Shack, or anyplace that
    > >carries av accessories...

    > You really shouldn't post when you don't have the slightest clue what you're
    > talking about.
    >
    > An RF modulator will NOT remove the macrovision crap. The only way around
    > it a video input on a TV that is new enough to not barf on macrovision, or
    > a box like the suma color corrector to remove the macrovision.

    Uh, shut up, eh? An RF modulator takes the vcr out of the loop thus
    negating the macrovision effect. He's not talking about recording
    movies, just watching them.

    Cable/antenna coax in - vcr - rf modulator antenna in - tv. That way the
    modulator is after the vcr in the loop.

    Now go outside and play.

    And to the OP, don't go to RadioShack, you'll pay twice as much as you
    need to. There's a walmart every 2 miles in any direction, and they all
    have these things.
    theyak, Apr 6, 2005
  8. News

    TCS Guest

    On Wed, 06 Apr 2005 17:01:58 GMT, theyak <> wrote:
    >In article <slrnd5841j.m4v.The-Central-
    >>, The-Central-
    > says...
    >> On Wed, 06 Apr 2005 16:30:05 GMT, Biz <> wrote:
    >> >Yes, you need an RF modulator. Available at Radio Shack, or anyplace that
    >> >carries av accessories...

    >> You really shouldn't post when you don't have the slightest clue what you're
    >> talking about.
    >>
    >> An RF modulator will NOT remove the macrovision crap. The only way around
    >> it a video input on a TV that is new enough to not barf on macrovision, or
    >> a box like the suma color corrector to remove the macrovision.
    >>

    >Uh, shut up, eh? An RF modulator takes the vcr out of the loop thus
    >negating the macrovision effect. He's not talking about recording
    >movies, just watching them.

    How, pray tell, does an RF modulator remove macrovision.

    It doesn't. If you'd ever used an rf modulator with a dvd player, you'd
    know this.
    TCS, Apr 6, 2005
  9. News

    Justin Guest

    TCS wrote on [Wed, 06 Apr 2005 12:34:42 -0500]:
    > On Wed, 06 Apr 2005 17:01:58 GMT, theyak <> wrote:
    >>In article <slrnd5841j.m4v.The-Central-
    >>>, The-Central-
    >> says...
    >>>
    >>> You really shouldn't post when you don't have the slightest clue what you're
    >>> talking about.
    >>>
    >>> An RF modulator will NOT remove the macrovision crap. The only way around
    >>> it a video input on a TV that is new enough to not barf on macrovision, or
    >>> a box like the suma color corrector to remove the macrovision.
    >>>

    >>Uh, shut up, eh? An RF modulator takes the vcr out of the loop thus
    >>negating the macrovision effect. He's not talking about recording
    >>movies, just watching them.

    > How, pray tell, does an RF modulator remove macrovision.
    >
    > It doesn't. If you'd ever used an rf modulator with a dvd player, you'd
    > know this.

    Why are you bringing something into the equation that doesn't need to be
    there ?
    Justin, Apr 6, 2005
  10. News

    Rich Clark Guest

    TCS wrote:

    > How, pray tell, does an RF modulator remove macrovision.
    >
    > It doesn't. If you'd ever used an rf modulator with a dvd player,

    you'd
    > know this.

    Nobody said an RF modulator "removes macrovision."

    Macrovision is not triggered by use of an RF modulator.

    The millions of people who are using RF modulators to connect their DVD
    players to the RF inputs on their TVs will tell you so.

    What's wrong with you?

    RichC
    Rich Clark, Apr 6, 2005
  11. News

    TCS Guest

    On 6 Apr 2005 11:40:46 -0700, Rich Clark <> wrote:

    >TCS wrote:

    >> How, pray tell, does an RF modulator remove macrovision.
    >>
    >> It doesn't. If you'd ever used an rf modulator with a dvd player,

    >you'd
    >> know this.

    >Nobody said an RF modulator "removes macrovision."

    >Macrovision is not triggered by use of an RF modulator.

    >The millions of people who are using RF modulators to connect their DVD
    >players to the RF inputs on their TVs will tell you so.

    Bullshit.

    There aren't millions. Probably not even thousands. Most people connect
    their dvd either to a receivers video input or to the tv's video input.

    If you'd ever actually used an RF modulator, you'd know that macrovision
    fucks up the picture.
    TCS, Apr 6, 2005
  12. TCS <> writes:

    > On 6 Apr 2005 11:40:46 -0700, Rich Clark <> wrote:
    >
    > >TCS wrote:

    > >> How, pray tell, does an RF modulator remove macrovision.
    > >>
    > >> It doesn't. If you'd ever used an rf modulator with a dvd player,

    > >you'd
    > >> know this.

    > >Nobody said an RF modulator "removes macrovision."

    > >Macrovision is not triggered by use of an RF modulator.

    > >The millions of people who are using RF modulators to connect their DVD
    > >players to the RF inputs on their TVs will tell you so.

    > Bullshit.
    >

    > There aren't millions. Probably not even thousands. Most people connect
    > their dvd either to a receivers video input or to the tv's video input.
    >
    > If you'd ever actually used an RF modulator, you'd know that macrovision
    > fucks up the picture.

    I don't think you understand what the problem is.

    Macrovision messes with the AGC, Automatic Gain Control, in the
    VCR. The AGC is the circuitry that makes sure the tape is recorded at
    proper levels.

    Feeding a macrovision signal through a VCR makes the VCR constantly
    trying to adjust the level, and this signal is then fed to the TV, and
    the varying level is seen as brightness changes on the TV.

    If you take the VCR out of the loop, then there is no AGC that can
    mess things up for you.

    There are some older CRT projectors that also contain AGC circuitry,
    like the Sony VPH-722 I'm using, so it too is affected by Macrovision,
    even with no VCR in the loop. But *very* few, if any ordinary TV-sets
    have AGC. Otherwise you wouldn't be able to ever watch a macrovision
    signal properly, even when fed through the composite or component
    inputs of newer sets.

    Using an RF-modulator can be regarded as just another type of cable
    and it will be unaffected by Macrovision.

    Thomas
    Thomas Tornblom, Apr 6, 2005
  13. News

    Biz Guest

    Read the OP. His old tv doesnt have av inputs, so he tried routing it
    through his vcr, but of course that doesnt work due to macrovision. SO if
    you buy an RF modulator, you can connect the dvd player directly to the tv's
    RF coax input. Now dont come back until you have a friggin clue what you're
    talking about jackass...

    Biz, Apr 6, 2005
  14. News

    Rich Clark Guest

    TCS wrote:

    > If you'd ever actually used an RF modulator, you'd know that

    macrovision
    > fucks up the picture.

    You're wrong, and even a minute's research proves you wrong, plus the
    experience of millions (yes, millions) of people proves you wrong, so
    there's no further point in even ackowledging your existence.

    RichC
    Rich Clark, Apr 6, 2005
  15. News

    Darkknight Guest

    try going to www.videohelp.com on the left hand side of page there is a
    link to "Hacks" enter your make and model number into the search engine.
    with any luck it'll bring up some hacks for your DVD player to disable
    the macrovision, if there isn't a hack specifically for macrovision
    there might be one to make it region 0, sometimes this also disables
    macrovision. The hack process is normally just a matter of opening the
    DVD drawer and entering a code using the remote control.
    Failing all this you can also purchase a video enhancer from most
    electronic shops, these generally will get rid of the macrovision
    component of the video

    regards Doug :)

    Darkknight, Apr 7, 2005
  16. News

    RichA Guest

    On Wed, 06 Apr 2005 12:34:42 -0500, TCS
    <> wrote:

    >On Wed, 06 Apr 2005 17:01:58 GMT, theyak <> wrote:
    >>In article <slrnd5841j.m4v.The-Central-
    >>>, The-Central-
    >> says...
    >>>
    >>> You really shouldn't post when you don't have the slightest clue what you're
    >>> talking about.
    >>>
    >>> An RF modulator will NOT remove the macrovision crap. The only way around
    >>> it a video input on a TV that is new enough to not barf on macrovision, or
    >>> a box like the suma color corrector to remove the macrovision.
    >>>

    >>Uh, shut up, eh? An RF modulator takes the vcr out of the loop thus
    >>negating the macrovision effect. He's not talking about recording
    >>movies, just watching them.

    >How, pray tell, does an RF modulator remove macrovision.

    Speaking of "out of the loop."
    -Rich
    RichA, Apr 7, 2005
  17. News

    Tarkus Guest

    On 4/6/2005 4:21:41 AM, Joshua Zyber wrote:

    > "News" <> wrote in message
    >>I think my VCR is seeing the DVD signal as an attempt to copy and is
    >>screwing up the picture.

    > That is exactly correct. The Macrovision copy protection signal from the
    > DVD player will screw up the picture if you connect to a VCR.

    Not necessarily. I can watch any DVD through my JVC VCR and the only
    time Macrovision kicks in is when I hit Record.
    --
    "I'll catch this bird for you, but it ain't gonna be easy. Bad fish!
    Not like going down to the pond and chasing bluegills and tommycocks.

    Now playing: "Robin Trower - Fine Day"
    Tarkus, Apr 7, 2005
  18. News

    News Guest