dvds play jerky on my comp

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by york, Feb 25, 2004.

  1. york

    york Guest

    hi my name is john york,

    i bought a dvd rom drive, a lite on 16X, today and installed it. when
    i went to watch a movie the picture was very jerky and the sound
    skipped with the picture. i called best buy and they took me thru some
    menues and finally got my sound problem fixed, and even a bit of the
    picture as well. but the problem now is that the picture is still a
    bit jerky. so my question is: am i doing something wrong, or is my
    system to old? i am using a gateway 450 select, with an AMD K6 451
    mghz chip. the sound and video cards are intagrated into the
    motherboard and they are: video 3D rage pro AGP 2X, sound creative
    AudioPCI.

    i have 192 megs of ram, and the dvd rom is master to a cdrw slave.
    will a new video card fix this problem or will i have to just get a
    new computer to fix this. a new card i could do, but a new puter is
    out of the question.

    please help. i don't want to have to return this dvd rom.

    thank you,

    john

    york, Feb 25, 2004

  2. york

    Chu-Chu Guest

    In article <>,
    (york) wrote:

    > hi my name is john york,
    >

    > i bought a dvd rom drive, a lite on 16X, today and installed it. when
    > i went to watch a movie the picture was very jerky and the sound
    > skipped with the picture. i called best buy and they took me thru some
    > menues and finally got my sound problem fixed, and even a bit of the
    > picture as well. but the problem now is that the picture is still a
    > bit jerky. so my question is: am i doing something wrong, or is my
    > system to old? i am using a gateway 450 select, with an AMD K6 451
    > mghz chip. the sound and video cards are intagrated into the
    > motherboard and they are: video 3D rage pro AGP 2X, sound creative
    > AudioPCI.
    >
    > i have 192 megs of ram, and the dvd rom is master to a cdrw slave.
    > will a new video card fix this problem or will i have to just get a
    > new computer to fix this. a new card i could do, but a new puter is
    > out of the question.
    >
    > please help. i don't want to have to return this dvd rom.
    >
    > thank you,
    >
    > john

    You might want to consider buying more RAM, which can help a lot with
    speed issues in general.

    Chu-Chu, Feb 25, 2004

  3. On 24 Feb 2004 19:49:11 -0800, (york) wrote:

    >hi my name is john york,
    >

    >i bought a dvd rom drive, a lite on 16X, today and installed it. when
    >i went to watch a movie the picture was very jerky and the sound
    >skipped with the picture. i called best buy and they took me thru some
    >menues and finally got my sound problem fixed, and even a bit of the
    >picture as well. but the problem now is that the picture is still a
    >bit jerky. so my question is: am i doing something wrong, or is my
    >system to old? i am using a gateway 450 select, with an AMD K6 451
    >mghz chip. the sound and video cards are intagrated into the
    >motherboard and they are: video 3D rage pro AGP 2X, sound creative
    >AudioPCI.
    >
    >i have 192 megs of ram, and the dvd rom is master to a cdrw slave.
    >will a new video card fix this problem or will i have to just get a
    >new computer to fix this. a new card i could do, but a new puter is
    >out of the question.
    >
    >please help. i don't want to have to return this dvd rom.
    >
    >thank you,
    >
    >john

    Another posted suggested more RAM, but I think you have plenty. Use
    your device manager to see if your drive has DMA enabled. If not,
    enable that. It will play better.

    Mischa

    Mischa van Dinter, Feb 25, 2004
  4. york

    DigitalEbola Guest

    Also, ive never had decent dvd playback from a 450.... time for a pc
    upgrade ?

    DigitalEbola, Feb 25, 2004
  5. york

    Funkyman Guest

    "york" <> wrote in message
    > hi my name is john york,
    >

    > i bought a dvd rom drive, a lite on 16X, today and installed it. when
    > i went to watch a movie the picture was very jerky and the sound
    > skipped with the picture. i called best buy and they took me thru some
    > menues and finally got my sound problem fixed, and even a bit of the
    > picture as well. but the problem now is that the picture is still a
    > bit jerky. so my question is: am i doing something wrong, or is my
    > system to old? i am using a gateway 450 select, with an AMD K6 451
    > mghz chip. the sound and video cards are intagrated into the
    > motherboard and they are: video 3D rage pro AGP 2X, sound creative
    > AudioPCI.
    >
    > i have 192 megs of ram, and the dvd rom is master to a cdrw slave.
    > will a new video card fix this problem or will i have to just get a
    > new computer to fix this. a new card i could do, but a new puter is
    > out of the question.
    >
    > please help. i don't want to have to return this dvd rom.
    >
    > thank you,
    >
    > john

    First thing to do is shut down anything running in the background, such as
    Antivirus programs. Enable DMA and you have enough RAM.
    If not, it looks like it's time for an upgrade, put a 64/128Mb Graphics card
    in it, but make sure you have an AGP slot before you buy an AGP card.

    Dave

    Funkyman, Feb 25, 2004
  6. york

    Bill Guest

    In addition to the other suggestions, if you do buy a new video card,
    purchase one that offers hardware-based DVD decoding. ATI's line of cards
    offer this, and the basic ones are reasonably affordable. That would take a
    tremendous load off of your microprocessor.

    Bill, Feb 25, 2004
  7. york

    John C. Guest

    On Wed, 25 Feb 2004 06:04:08 GMT, Chu-Chu <>
    wrote:

    >In article <>,
    > (york) wrote:
    >
    >> hi my name is john york,
    >>

    >> i bought a dvd rom drive, a lite on 16X, today and installed it. when
    >> i went to watch a movie the picture was very jerky and the sound
    >> skipped with the picture. i called best buy and they took me thru some
    >> menues and finally got my sound problem fixed, and even a bit of the
    >> picture as well. but the problem now is that the picture is still a
    >> bit jerky. so my question is: am i doing something wrong, or is my
    >> system to old? i am using a gateway 450 select, with an AMD K6 451
    >> mghz chip. the sound and video cards are intagrated into the
    >> motherboard and they are: video 3D rage pro AGP 2X, sound creative
    >> AudioPCI.
    >>
    >> i have 192 megs of ram, and the dvd rom is master to a cdrw slave.
    >> will a new video card fix this problem or will i have to just get a
    >> new computer to fix this. a new card i could do, but a new puter is
    >> out of the question.
    >>
    >> please help. i don't want to have to return this dvd rom.
    >>
    >> thank you,
    >>
    >> john

    >You might want to consider buying more RAM, which can help a lot with
    >speed issues in general.

    Make sure DMA is enabled for your drive.
    John

    John C., Feb 26, 2004
  8. york

    york Guest

    > First thing to do is shut down anything running in the background, such as
    > Antivirus programs. Enable DMA and you have enough RAM.
    > If not, it looks like it's time for an upgrade, put a 64/128Mb Graphics card
    > in it, but make sure you have an AGP slot before you buy an AGP card.
    >
    > Dave

    what is DMA? i can't find that anywhere.

    john

    york, Feb 26, 2004
  9. On 25 Feb 2004 18:35:29 -0800, (york) wrote:

    >> First thing to do is shut down anything running in the background, such as
    >> Antivirus programs. Enable DMA and you have enough RAM.
    >> If not, it looks like it's time for an upgrade, put a 64/128Mb Graphics card
    >> in it, but make sure you have an AGP slot before you buy an AGP card.
    >>
    >> Dave

    >what is DMA? i can't find that anywhere.
    >
    >john

    Open your device manager. Find the IDE channel your DVD drive is on
    (for example, mine is on the secondary IDE channel). Doubleclick for
    properties, then select Advanced settings. On the section that
    contains your DVD ROM drive (choose device one or two) select DMA if
    available in the Transfer mode dropdown-menu. If you're not sure,
    enable DMA on everything you can find.

    This is for WinXP, but as long as you can find your device manager
    it'll be similar on any Windows.

    Mischa

    Mischa van Dinter, Feb 26, 2004
  10. "york" <> wrote in message
    > hi my name is john york,

    And your hardware is VERY marginal.

    Colon Terminus, Feb 26, 2004
  11. That's 'cause you have a jerky comp.

    Colon Terminus, Feb 26, 2004
  12. york

    Bill Guest

    "Colon Terminus" <> wrote in message

    > That's 'cause you have a jerky comp.

    Better to have a slow computer than to be a total jerk of a human being,
    such as yourself.

    Bill, Feb 26, 2004
  13. york

    Eric R. Guest

    (york) wrote in message news:<>...

    > but the problem now is that the picture is still a
    > bit jerky. so my question is: am i doing something wrong, or is my
    > system to old? i am using a gateway 450 select, with an AMD K6 451
    > mghz chip.

    A 450 Mhz cpu is too slow for decent software-based DVD playback.

    -Eric

    Eric R., Feb 26, 2004