    the computer. What am I do wrong? Is there some encoding I need to do,
    different burner, different software? Not sure.

    Thanks.
    Matt Gingrich, Jan 22, 2006

  2. Matt Gingrich

    F. Ibrahim Guest

    Have the same problem. Hope somebody knows the answer!!
    Regards
    Fadel

    F. Ibrahim, Jan 22, 2006

  3. Matt Gingrich

    SoHillsGuy Guest

    The first thing you need to check is to see whether your Panasonic
    actually plays DVD-Rs or DVD+Rs (depending on which you used).

    While nearly all DVD players made in the last 4-5 years will handle
    these and many other formats, some DVD players that are a bit older may
    actually not handle homemade DVDs.
    SoHillsGuy, Jan 22, 2006
  4. Matt Gingrich

    Cathy Guest

    Could you provide detail on how you are creating your DVDs and what software
    and media you're using.

    Does the DVD have TWO subdirectories on the DVD?
    AUDIO_TS
    VIDEO_TS

    Are you using good quality, name brand DVD-R discs?

    Cathy, Jan 22, 2006
  5. Matt Gingrich

    unclejr Guest

    Cathy wrote:
    > Does the DVD have TWO subdirectories on the DVD?
    > AUDIO_TS

    This is unimportant from my experience. Only the VIDEO_TS folder is
    important.

    HTH,

    -Junior
    unclejr, Jan 22, 2006
  6. Matt Gingrich

    Cathy Guest

    Some DVD players require the AUDIO_TS directory, even though it is empty.

    Cathy, Jan 22, 2006
  7. Matt Gingrich

    unclejr Guest

    Cathy wrote:
    > Some DVD players require the AUDIO_TS directory, even though it is empty.

    Which ones, specifically?

    -Junior
    unclejr, Jan 22, 2006
  8. Matt Gingrich

    John Howells Guest

    "Cathy" <> wrote

    > Some DVD players require the AUDIO_TS directory, even though it is empty.

    If true that would be interesting, as some commercial DVDs (Series Two of
    Remington Steele to name but one [set]) do not have an AUDIO_TS directory.
    So can you actually name a player that will not play such commercial disks,
    or is this just an urban myth?

    John Howells
    John Howells, Jan 22, 2006
  9. Yes the DVD's I've created have both an Audio_TS and video_TS folder within.
    I created these DVD's with WinDVD creator.

    The DVD's I'm using are Fujifilm DVD+RW's.

    I have also confirmed that this Panasonic DVD player should play DVD R's.
    Perhaps I should try a DVD R rather than an RW?

    Thanks for all the responses thus far.

    Matt Gingrich, Jan 22, 2006
  10. Matt Gingrich

    Cathy Guest

    Use edit/find/audio_ts to find comments:

    http://www.videohelp.com/forum/archive/t186192.html

    http://www.videohelp.com/forum/archive/t241922.html

    http://www.videohelp.com/forum/archive/t165876.html

    http://forum.videohelp.com/viewtopi...asc&highlight=panasonic%20reauthoring&start=0

    Many more comments available at this site (and others)....

    Cathy, Jan 22, 2006
  11. Matt Gingrich

    mking Guest

    If you want it to as compatible as possible make sure the AUDIO_TS is
    there, What harm can it do.
    mking, Jan 22, 2006
  12. my Philips itself records to DVD-R, +R,+RW, -RW and plays them but won't
    play -Rs recorded on my PC, only +Rs. (and both types of RWs).

    Geoff Pearson, Jan 22, 2006
  13. Matt Gingrich

    mking Guest

    There is a number of reasons, as already mentioned, the DVD-r/DVD+r
    and then DVD+rw debate, i find DVD+rw burned with DVD Decrypter work on
    more player than most but this is purely my own opion and i am sure
    many will have there own thoughts, also you can change the booktype
    depending on the Burning (see dvdhelp.com or afterdwan.com). also check
    your "first play" PC are clever and if missing a first play it can work
    it out but not all Players will do that, and just sit there.

    these are just two cases i have come across recently, but untill you
    post what software etc you are using its difficult to know. there lots
    of websites out there tho just google it.
    mking, Jan 22, 2006
  14. Matt Gingrich

    Justin Guest

    Matt Gingrich wrote on [Sun, 22 Jan 2006 12:16:16 -0500]:
    > Yes the DVD's I've created have both an Audio_TS and video_TS folder within.
    > I created these DVD's with WinDVD creator.
    >
    > The DVD's I'm using are Fujifilm DVD+RW's.
    >
    > I have also confirmed that this Panasonic DVD player should play DVD R's.
    > Perhaps I should try a DVD R rather than an RW?

    Well, duh. R and RW are not the same.
    Justin, Jan 22, 2006
  15. Matt Gingrich

    Biz Guest

    Almost all burning apps have the *option* to inlcude the AUDIO_TS folder for
    maximum compatibility with older players. IT doesnt really cost anything to
    include the empty folder so it is just a safety step. The first and maybe
    second gen players seemed to need it, thats why so many apps give you the
    option to use it. I guess the issue is, why wouldnt you use it to make
    sure? That folder IS REQUIRED for all DVD-A titles...

    ;)

    Biz, Jan 22, 2006
  16. Problem solved - used a DVD R instead of a DVD RW. Works like a charm.

    Thanks to everyone.

    Matt Gingrich, Jan 22, 2006
  17. Matt Gingrich

    John Howells Guest

    "Cathy" <> wrote

    > Use edit/find/audio_ts to find comments:
    >
    > http://www.videohelp.com/forum/archive/t186192.html
    >
    > http://www.videohelp.com/forum/archive/t241922.html
    >
    > http://www.videohelp.com/forum/archive/t165876.html

    http://forum.videohelp.com/viewtopic.php?t=175473&postdays=0&postorder=asc&h
    ighlight=panasonic%2520reauthoring&start=0

    > Many more comments available at this site (and others)....

    Thanks, though it is interesting that commercial DVDs are now being produced
    without such a directory.

    John Howells
    John Howells, Jan 22, 2006
  18. Matt Gingrich

    John Howells Guest

    "mking" <> wrote

    > If you want it to as compatible as possible make sure the AUDIO_TS is
    > there, What harm can it do.

    None. Nevertheless, an enquiring mind wants to know whether its absence will
    cause problems for a DVD Video disk, particularly when not all commercial
    DVDs have it!

    John Howells
    John Howells, Jan 22, 2006
  19. Matt Gingrich

    Cathy Guest

    Please note that -R and -RW are not the same as +R and +RW.

    Cathy, Jan 22, 2006
  20. On Sun, 22 Jan 2006 07:45:23 -0500, Matt Gingrich wrote:

    > I'm new to this DVD burning world and am attempting to make a number of
    > different videos from still images, etc. While I'm able to get this working
    > well on the PC - I haven't been able to burn any to DVD that work on my
    > Panasonic external DVD player so I can play them on the TV rather than on
    > the computer. What am I do wrong? Is there some encoding I need to do,
    > different burner, different software? Not sure.
    >
    > Thanks.

    There is a very relevant question people are avoiding asking... Are you
    burning a *data* DVD or a *video* DVD?

    If you have a newer player, data DVDs are fine for MP3s and pictures
    (although there is a separate slideshow DVD spec). To burn a video DVD you
    need to have a set of video files to burn. Convert them to an appropriate
    format (long). Arrange them so the player will recognise them collectively
    as contents of a video DVD. Then burn the contents to appropriate media.
    My fathers two new DVD players *say* they are compatible with the -R
    media, however they read a +R when we put one in.

    Some players will handle DIVX files directly. I don't understand how they
    work and the files aren't compatible with ALL players. For a video DVD, it
    is better to be as generic as possible.

    When talking about software, you should also mention the platform.
    Although it's likely you are using M$, people won't know for sure unless
    you tell them. I've managed to create a couple of DVDs under Linux, but
    how would that specific info be useful to a Mac person?

    Later
    Mike
    The Wizard of Oz, Jan 22, 2006