DVDs Lose Their Shine.

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by Allan, Dec 9, 2005.

  1. Allan

    Allan Guest

    http://www.thestreet.com/_googlen/stocks/media/10256297.html?cm_ven=GOOGLEN&cm_cat=FREE&cm_ite=NA

    DVDs Lose Their Shine

    By Sandy Brown

    TheStreet.com Staff Reporter

    12/8/2005 7:04 AM EST

    The home-movie business could face more pressure thanks to a host of
    emerging technologies being rolled out by cable operators and an
    onslaught of new video applications.

    As cable companies like Time Warner's (TWX:NYSE - commentary -
    research - Cramer's Take) Time Warner Cable explore enhanced services
    like video on demand and mobile video partnerships, some industry hard
    hitters believe the DVD could soon go the way of the VHS.

    Time Warner Cable Chairman Glenn Britt, speaking at a UBS Warburg
    media conference in New York this week, shrugged off worries about
    threats to the cable business by saying new video platforms could end
    up hurting the DVD market more.

    Asked if he felt the video-capable Apple iPod was a threat to cable,
    Britt responded that he sees it more as "a substitute for purchasing
    DVDs than as a threat to the cable industry." He also touted the
    various advantages of new DVR technologies that Time Warner and rivals
    like Comcast are spending millions to roll out.

    If a set of DVD sales misses at major animation studios Dreamworks and
    Pixar earlier this year are any indication, the lucrative DVD market
    could mature more quickly than the entertainment industry, which still
    enjoys nice margins on DVDs, would like.

    "All kinds of distribution platforms are cutting into a reasonably
    finite media consumption pie," says one media strategist, who adds
    that DVRs are one piece of it and the iPod is another.

    Cable companies and large content companies are partnering and rolling
    out more comprehensive video services. There is little question that
    mobile video is taking flight on cell phones via Apple, Cingular,
    Verizon Wireless and Sprint/Nextel .

    GE's NBC Universal said this week it is partnering with Apple to
    provide some of its hit shows like Law & Order available for download.
    Meanwhile CBS said it is partnering with Verizon to provide some of
    its popular series, like CSI and Survivor, on Verizon's wireless v
    chip phone this month.

    Warner Music Group's Edgar Bronfman Jr., whose industry has arguably
    borne most of the brunt of technological change in recent years, said
    at the UBS conference this week that he sees the media business
    falling into three buckets as things sort themselves out: content
    providers, aggregators and distributors.

    Bronfman says that content producers, like Warner music, will get
    proprietary margins, while aggregators (he cited NBC as an example)
    act as a service and will get service margins. But he warned that
    distributors like phone companies and cable operators will be stuck
    with commodity margins.

    For the consumer, the choice of paying $4 to watch a movie through a
    cable system vs. $19.99 to own it on DVD might increasingly compromise
    the historically high margins enjoyed by the DVD producers,
    aggregators and distributors looking forward.

    - Neil Stephenson, _Cryptonomicon_
    Allan, Dec 9, 2005

  2. Allan wrote:
    > http://www.thestreet.com/_googlen/stocks/media/10256297.html?cm_ven=GOOGLEN&cm_cat=FREE&cm_ite=NA
    >
    > DVDs Lose Their Shine
    >
    > For the consumer, the choice of paying $4 to watch a movie through a
    > cable system vs. $19.99 to own it on DVD might increasingly compromise
    > the historically high margins enjoyed by the DVD producers,
    > aggregators and distributors looking forward.

    I propose a new system:
    Media analysts will now pay ME $4 every time they get caught up in a new
    pay-per-view technology and predict that it will someday replace DVD... :)

    Derek Janssen (and I should be able to afford that tropical island
    within a month or two)
    Derek Janssen, Dec 9, 2005

  3. Allan

    poco Guest

    Derek Janssen wrote:
    > Allan wrote:
    > > http://www.thestreet.com/_googlen/stocks/media/10256297.html?cm_ven=GOOGLEN&cm_cat=FREE&cm_ite=NA
    > >
    > > DVDs Lose Their Shine
    > >
    > > For the consumer, the choice of paying $4 to watch a movie through a
    > > cable system vs. $19.99 to own it on DVD might increasingly compromise
    > > the historically high margins enjoyed by the DVD producers,
    > > aggregators and distributors looking forward.

    > I propose a new system:
    > Media analysts will now pay ME $4 every time they get caught up in a new
    > pay-per-view technology and predict that it will someday replace DVD... :)
    >
    > Derek Janssen (and I should be able to afford that tropical island
    > within a month or two)

    This is true.
    We already have the choice of renting DVDs for $2.00 to $4.00
    I still buy more DVDs than I rent. Usually at $10 to $15 (not $19.99)

    -----------------------------
    http://auctions.shopping.yahoo.com/
    poco, Dec 9, 2005
  4. On Thu, 08 Dec 2005 23:45:48 -0500, Allan
    <> Gave us:

    >DVDs Lose Their Shine

    Cut n paste RETARD!
    NunYa Bidness, Dec 9, 2005
  5. Allan

    Goro Guest

    Allan wrote:
    > http://www.thestreet.com/_googlen/stocks/media/10256297.html?cm_ven=GOOGLEN&cm_cat=FREE&cm_ite=NA
    >
    > DVDs Lose Their Shine

    > Asked if he felt the video-capable Apple iPod was a threat to cable,
    > Britt responded that he sees it more as "a substitute for purchasing
    > DVDs than as a threat to the cable industry." He also touted the
    > various advantages of new DVR technologies that Time Warner and rivals
    > like Comcast are spending millions to roll out.

    I'm not so sure. I download DVDs and Xvids alot. I purchase the same
    ($ amt) in DVDs as before. I NEVER rent anymore. Downloading has
    replaced my rental scheme. Downloading tv eps has redefined my tv
    vieweing habits (except for sprots) as i don't have a DVR.

    I think people still like to OWN things. if a person LOVES a movie,
    s/he will want to own it, for the same (or similar) reason that they
    sell tshirts and action figures. "Owning" an xvid isn't quite the
    same. The problem is that the studios have to be careful b/c a whole
    generation is being weaned on technology and maybe THEY don't care
    about ownership so much.

    -goro-
    Goro, Dec 9, 2005
  6. Allan

    Apple68 Guest

    On 9 Dec 2005 11:31:59 -0800, "Goro" <> wrote:

    >Allan wrote:
    >> http://www.thestreet.com/_googlen/stocks/media/10256297.html?cm_ven=GOOGLEN&cm_cat=FREE&cm_ite=NA
    >>
    >> DVDs Lose Their Shine

    >> Asked if he felt the video-capable Apple iPod was a threat to cable,
    >> Britt responded that he sees it more as "a substitute for purchasing
    >> DVDs than as a threat to the cable industry." He also touted the
    >> various advantages of new DVR technologies that Time Warner and rivals
    >> like Comcast are spending millions to roll out.

    >I'm not so sure. I download DVDs and Xvids alot. I purchase the same
    >($ amt) in DVDs as before. I NEVER rent anymore. Downloading has
    >replaced my rental scheme. Downloading tv eps has redefined my tv
    >vieweing habits (except for sprots) as i don't have a DVR.
    >
    >I think people still like to OWN things. if a person LOVES a movie,
    >s/he will want to own it, for the same (or similar) reason that they
    >sell tshirts and action figures. "Owning" an xvid isn't quite the
    >same. The problem is that the studios have to be careful b/c a whole
    >generation is being weaned on technology and maybe THEY don't care
    >about ownership so much.
    >
    >-goro-

    I love the DVD....I can only hope it will remain the standard for a
    long time to come. I've bought waaaaay more dvd's than I ever bought
    of VHS tapes. The quality is great, the extras are great, the case is
    a good size....what's NOT to like?
    Apple68, Dec 10, 2005
  7. Allan

    Allan Guest

    On Fri, 09 Dec 2005 14:41:23 GMT, NunYa Bidness
    <> wrote:

    >On Thu, 08 Dec 2005 23:45:48 -0500, Allan
    ><> Gave us:
    >
    >>DVDs Lose Their Shine

    > Cut n paste RETARD!

    You still here? Crawl away.

    - Neil Stephenson, _Cryptonomicon_
    Allan, Dec 10, 2005
  8. Allan

    Bob Guest

    On Sat, 10 Dec 2005 05:12:59 GMT, Apple68 <>
    wrote:

    >I love the DVD....I can only hope it will remain the standard for a
    >long time to come. I've bought waaaaay more dvd's than I ever bought
    >of VHS tapes. The quality is great, the extras are great, the case is
    >a good size....what's NOT to like?

    It's not flash memory.

    --

    to read things upside down.
    because it forces the reader
    Bob, Dec 10, 2005
  9. Allan

    Apple68 Guest

    On Sat, 10 Dec 2005 13:56:41 GMT, (Bob) wrote:

    >On Sat, 10 Dec 2005 05:12:59 GMT, Apple68 <>
    >wrote:
    >

    >>I love the DVD....I can only hope it will remain the standard for a
    >>long time to come. I've bought waaaaay more dvd's than I ever bought
    >>of VHS tapes. The quality is great, the extras are great, the case is
    >>a good size....what's NOT to like?

    >It's not flash memory.

    Oh yeah, just like your memory.
    Apple68, Dec 10, 2005
  10. On Sat, 10 Dec 2005 00:54:22 -0500, Allan
    <> Gave us:

    >On Fri, 09 Dec 2005 14:41:23 GMT, NunYa Bidness
    ><> wrote:
    >
    >>On Thu, 08 Dec 2005 23:45:48 -0500, Allan
    >><> Gave us:
    >>
    >>>DVDs Lose Their Shine

    >> Cut n paste RETARD!

    >You still here?

    Your lameness still here? It shows with nearly every post.

    **** off, retard boy.
    NunYa Bidness, Dec 10, 2005
  11. Allan

    Allan Guest

    On Sat, 10 Dec 2005 16:31:55 GMT, NunYa Bidness
    <> wrote:

    >>You still here?

    > Your lameness still here? It shows with nearly every post.
    >
    >> Crawl away.

    > **** off, retard boy.

    Hey, I told you to crawl back to the shit pile you came from.

    Now do it.

    - Neil Stephenson, _Cryptonomicon_
    Allan, Dec 10, 2005
  12. On Sat, 10 Dec 2005 13:58:13 -0500, Allan
    <> Gave us:

    >On Sat, 10 Dec 2005 16:31:55 GMT, NunYa Bidness
    ><> wrote:
    >
    >>>You still here?

    >> Your lameness still here? It shows with nearly every post.
    >>
    >>> Crawl away.

    >> **** off, retard boy.

    >Hey, I told you to crawl back to the shit pile you came from.
    >
    >Now do it.

    Can you really be that fucking retarded about Usenet? I think so.
    You show just how retarded you are with nearly every response you
    give, and most certainly with every thread you originate.
    NunYa Bidness, Dec 10, 2005
  13. Allan

    Allan Guest

    On Sat, 10 Dec 2005 20:37:10 GMT, NunYa Bidness
    <> wrote:

    > Can you really be that fucking retarded about Usenet? I think so.
    >You show just how retarded you are with nearly every response you
    >give, and most certainly with every thread you originate.

    Nuff Said.

    - Neil Stephenson, _Cryptonomicon_
    Allan, Dec 11, 2005
  14. Allan

    Bob Guest

    On Sat, 10 Dec 2005 16:28:49 GMT, Apple68 <>
    wrote:

    >>It's not flash memory.

    >Oh yeah, just like your memory.

    Another fuckwit troll.