    ???

    Thanks,

    Noguru

    Hank, May 30, 2008

  2. Hank

    Hank Guest

    One more thing...

    I'd like to preserve subtitles if possible.

    Hank, May 30, 2008

    www.videohelp.com
    www.doom9.org

    Colon Terminus, May 30, 2008
  4. Hank

    Phisherman Guest

    On Fri, 30 May 2008 06:49:59 -0700, Hank <>
    wrote:

    >My new Vista Business laptop has a very large hard drive
    >and long battery life.
    >
    >Apparently I can watch movies on long flights by
    >in-advance pulling videos from DVDs and storing them in
    >some efficient format more suitable to the screen.
    >Therefore, I need some software that will read a DVD and
    >convert or compress it for viewing on a small screen.
    >
    >I know absolutely nothing about the methods and tools
    >available.
    >
    >???
    >
    >Thanks,
    >
    >Noguru

    Why do you think you need to "pull" a video from a DVD? Just play the
    video straight from the DVD, no preparation is needed. Most PCs have
    Windows Media Player already installed. It not the best software, but
    it works. You can even stop a movie and start it the next day and it
    will remember where it left off. For some reason unclear to me you
    still want the video on your hard drive (why bother?), then DVD
    decrypt will do it (free) or you can purchase DVDFab.

    Phisherman, May 30, 2008
  5. Hank

    sandy58 Guest

    On May 30, 2:49 pm, Hank <> wrote:
    > My new Vista Business laptop has a very large hard drive
    > and long battery life.
    >
    > Apparently I can watch movies on long flights by
    > in-advance pulling videos from DVDs and storing them in
    > some efficient format more suitable to the screen.
    > Therefore, I need some software that will read a DVD and
    > convert or compress it for viewing on a small screen.
    >
    > I know absolutely nothing about the methods and tools
    > available.
    >
    > ???
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Noguru

    BlazeDVD Professional 5.0.0.1
    http://www.blazevideo.com/dvd-player/
    Register with any name and e-mail
    Serials:
    MWKJHPPDWGH3J3
    MVX6AGMNJF35J3
    6EGR47JJSQN4J3
    6B33PDVJESM3J3
    7HTJ89EQQMJ3J3
    6B99C3W9CHE3J3
    LECMKTW9SXL4J3
    7VHHFNVBYHB4J3
    6PJT8HXWPND4J3
    Good Luck Guru :)

    sandy58, May 30, 2008
  6. Hank

    Hank Guest

    I want the videos on my hard drive because the DVD/CD
    drive dissipates considerable energy, and battery life
    is part of the equation. And, my laptop has an LED (not
    LCD) screen that uses power proportional to the
    illuminated area. The idea was that the DVD might be
    converted to a lower-resolution/smaller display while
    it's being pulled from the disc, thus saving further energy.

    As an old (8th decade) software writer, I respect those
    still in the business - but thanks for the serials anyway.

    Hank

    Hank, May 30, 2008
  7. Hank

    Hank Guest

    Hank, May 30, 2008
  8. Hank

    Hank Guest

    AnimalMagic wrote:

    > A DVD drive spindle motor uses far less energy than a hard drive
    > spindle motor does.
    >
    > I would sleep the hard drive and watch by DVD.

    Whoa!!
    How do I "sleep the hard drive"???

    Hank, May 31, 2008
  9. Hank

    Hank Guest

    AnimalMagic wrote:

    > How many YEARS have you been using windows

    Weeks and weeks. I'm an old mainframe guy with a PDP-8
    in the living room, then Mac, then Linux. I'll apologize
    for my ignorance if you'll consider your (lack of) courtesy.

    And I do thank you for the pointer to "sleeping" the
    hard drive. It's voluntary ignorance that's a sin.

    Hank

    Hank, May 31, 2008
  10. Hank

    AnimalMagic Guest

    On Fri, 30 May 2008 12:21:23 -0700, Hank <> wrote:

    >I want the videos on my hard drive because the DVD/CD
    >drive dissipates considerable energy, and battery life
    >is part of the equation. And, my laptop has an LED (not
    >LCD) screen that uses power proportional to the
    >illuminated area. The idea was that the DVD might be
    >converted to a lower-resolution/smaller display while
    >it's being pulled from the disc, thus saving further energy.
    >
    >As an old (8th decade) software writer, I respect those
    >still in the business - but thanks for the serials anyway.
    >
    >Hank

    A DVD drive spindle motor uses far less energy than a hard drive
    spindle motor does.

    I would sleep the hard drive and watch by DVD.

    If you do not believe me, you can test it. Put a live Linux distro
    onto a thumb drive, and remove the hard drive. Boot the dongle, and time
    how many DVD play-time hours you get.

    Then, put the drive back in, and playback a huge downloaded video file.

    I'll bet your up-time is about the same.

    Dedicated "laptop styled" DVD players are cheap, and run for 4 to 8
    hours per charge.

    AnimalMagic, May 31, 2008
  11. Hank

    AnimalMagic Guest

    On Fri, 30 May 2008 16:04:28 -0700, Hank <> wrote:

    >AnimalMagic wrote:
    >
    >> A DVD drive spindle motor uses far less energy than a hard drive
    >> spindle motor does.
    >>
    >> I would sleep the hard drive and watch by DVD.

    >Whoa!!
    >How do I "sleep the hard drive"???

    How many YEARS have you been using windows, and you still are unaware
    of the POWER MANAGEMENT capabilities in ALL of them, despite it only
    being needed by laptop, battery operated device users?

    Go to your screen saver dialog window, and Power Management is at the
    bottom of the dialog window.

    AnimalMagic, May 31, 2008
  12. On Fri, 30 May 2008 16:23:08 -0700, Hank <> wrote:

    >AnimalMagic wrote:
    >
    >> How many YEARS have you been using windows

    >Weeks and weeks. I'm an old mainframe guy with a PDP-8
    >in the living room, then Mac, then Linux. I'll apologize
    >for my ignorance if you'll consider your (lack of) courtesy.

    Hey, it is quite easy to assume that folks posting here have been using
    Windows for some reasonable period of time.

    It is almost ludicrous to think of an adult in modern society that has
    no computer experience, and much less, no Windows experience.

    >And I do thank you for the pointer to "sleeping" the
    >hard drive. It's voluntary ignorance that's a sin.

    Experience is all any of us need.

    That is why Obama is the WRONG choice.

    NOT a Leader.

    NOT Experienced.

    NOT informed.

    A scary prospect, actually.

    If the young impressionable idiots in this country put that retarded
    twit into office, the county is in for a shake up of huge proportion.

    Those young, impressionable kids will get a wake up. The really fucked
    up part of it is that the ObamaTard has been setting up his failure to
    look as if it is residual effects of the Bush administration.

    The dumb fucking bastard is the worst prospect for repairing this
    county's ills that has ever come down the pike.

    And that is ASIDE from the level of utter stupidity he glows with.

    100% proof that becoming a lawyer, and learning how to speak well has
    absolutely nothing to do with hard public service and being a real
    statesman.

    It is really sad that the DNC is actually foisting this stupid twit on
    us. Truly pathetic.

    StickThatInYourPipeAndSmokeIt, May 31, 2008
  13. Hank

    Hank Guest

    Tarkus wrote:
    > StickThatInYourPipeAndSmokeIt wrote:
    >> Experience is all any of us need.
    >>
    >> That is why Obama is the WRONG choice.
    >>
    >> NOT a Leader.
    >>
    >> NOT Experienced.
    >>
    >> NOT informed.
    >>
    >> A scary prospect, actually.

    > Yes, almost as scary as someone who is "experienced" at supporting the
    > killing and maiming of tens of thousands of people, for no apparent
    > reason, and wanting it to continue indefinitely.

    I am SO GLAD this discussion went political!!!

    Claiming that Obama is the right choice just because you
    believe Bush is the wrong one is fallacious. Those who
    support Obama today will be embarrassed by what happens
    in October, as revelation after revelation show us how
    gullible his party and supporters have been. This man is
    one of the most successful political scams in history.
    His undoing in the 30 days before November 4 will
    probably bring down a lot of other politicians, media
    personalities, finance sources, and others who have tied
    themselves to him so tightly that as he plummets they
    cannot detach.

    Hillary may join the McCain campaign, perhaps even as
    VP, and will bring her bag of Obamacrapola that could
    not be opened during the primaries (there are rules
    about Democrats damaging each other). But the gloves
    will come off as she inflicts mortal political wounds on
    Obama, clearing the way for her 2012 campaign. In return
    for a shredded Obama and guaranteed victory in the
    general election, McCain will have to keep her in the
    limelight for the next four years.

    The remaining question: in 2012, will Hillary run as a
    Democrat or Republican...?

    Interesting times... and (back on topic) you can get it
    all on DVD.

    Hank, May 31, 2008
  14. On Fri, 30 May 2008 17:15:25 -0700, Tarkus <>
    wrote:

    >StickThatInYourPipeAndSmokeIt wrote:
    >> Experience is all any of us need.
    >>
    >> That is why Obama is the WRONG choice.
    >>
    >> NOT a Leader.
    >>
    >> NOT Experienced.
    >>
    >> NOT informed.
    >>
    >> A scary prospect, actually.

    >Yes, almost as scary as someone who is "experienced" at supporting the
    >killing and maiming of tens of thousands of people, for no apparent
    >reason, and wanting it to continue indefinitely.

    I do not want "it" or anything to continue indefinitely. My solution
    is to wait until a couple million US hating asswipes are all gathered in
    the street in front of ONE single total asswipe. Then we drop a single
    neutron bomb, and all the total asswipes go away.

    Nothing indefinite about that.

    Quite succinct, actually.

    StickThatInYourPipeAndSmokeIt, May 31, 2008
  15. Hank

    Hank Guest

    Ken Maltby wrote:
    > "Hank" <> wrote in message
    >> One more thing...
    >>
    >> I'd like to preserve subtitles if possible.

    > If you copy the VIDEO_TS folder to the hard drive,
    > any software DVD player will be able to play the DVD
    > just as if it were on a DVD disk. You may have players
    > like WinDVD, or PowerDVD, that you might have gotten
    > bundled with a DVD drive. There are free players like
    > the VLC Media Player or my favorite Media Player
    > Classic, that will play DVDs, as well. You can set it up
    > so the movie menu plays when you click on a shortcut.
    >
    > All you need is something to decrypt the encrypted DVD
    > so that you can copy the VIDEO_TS folder. For all but
    > the newest DVDs you can find free programs to do the
    > decryption, DVDShrink and DVDecryptor being the best
    > known.
    >
    > A well respected commercial approach:
    > http://www.slysoft.com/en/
    >
    > Many full length movies are under 6GB in size, so you
    > could be able to figure out how many you can put in the
    > space left on your hard drive. These would be exactly
    > like they are on the DVD. You can shrink them, giving
    > up some image quality, and put more on your hard drive.
    > You can convert them to another compression format
    > and fit more that way as well, but it will take time and
    > you probably can make space on your laptop drive for
    > enough, at the original 6GB size DVD quality.
    >

    > Luck;
    > Ken

    This is the best advice because I don't need to become
    expert. Rather, I'll copy the videos to my hard drive
    (there's 100GB empty!) without modifying them.
    Thanks -

    Hank, May 31, 2008
  16. "Hank" <> wrote in message
    > Ken Maltby wrote:
    >> "Hank" <> wrote in message
    >>> One more thing...
    >>>
    >>> I'd like to preserve subtitles if possible.

    >> If you copy the VIDEO_TS folder to the hard drive,
    >> any software DVD player will be able to play the DVD
    >> just as if it were on a DVD disk. You may have players
    >> like WinDVD, or PowerDVD, that you might have gotten
    >> bundled with a DVD drive. There are free players like
    >> the VLC Media Player or my favorite Media Player
    >> Classic, that will play DVDs, as well. You can set it up
    >> so the movie menu plays when you click on a shortcut.
    >>
    >> All you need is something to decrypt the encrypted DVD
    >> so that you can copy the VIDEO_TS folder. For all but
    >> the newest DVDs you can find free programs to do the
    >> decryption, DVDShrink and DVDecryptor being the best
    >> known.
    >>
    >> A well respected commercial approach:
    >> http://www.slysoft.com/en/
    >>
    >> Many full length movies are under 6GB in size, so you
    >> could be able to figure out how many you can put in the
    >> space left on your hard drive. These would be exactly
    >> like they are on the DVD. You can shrink them, giving
    >> up some image quality, and put more on your hard drive.
    >> You can convert them to another compression format
    >> and fit more that way as well, but it will take time and
    >> you probably can make space on your laptop drive for
    >> enough, at the original 6GB size DVD quality.
    >>

    >> Luck;
    >> Ken
    >>

    > This is the best advice because I don't need to become expert. Rather,
    > I'll copy the videos to my hard drive (there's 100GB empty!) without
    > modifying them.
    > Thanks -

    Ken always gives good advice.
    Be sure to pay attention to what he said about decrypting.
    An CSS encrypted (almost all are) video will NOT play back from the hard
    drive.

    Colon Terminus, May 31, 2008
  17. On Sat, 31 May 2008 08:35:25 -0700, Tarkus <>
    wrote:

    >StickThatInYourPipeAndSmokeIt wrote:
    >> On Fri, 30 May 2008 17:15:25 -0700, Tarkus <>
    >> wrote:

    >>> Yes, almost as scary as someone who is "experienced" at supporting the
    >>> killing and maiming of tens of thousands of people, for no apparent
    >>> reason, and wanting it to continue indefinitely.

    >> I do not want "it" or anything to continue indefinitely. My solution
    >> is to wait until a couple million US hating asswipes are all gathered in
    >> the street in front of ONE single total asswipe. Then we drop a single
    >> neutron bomb, and all the total asswipes go away.
    >>
    >> Nothing indefinite about that.
    >>
    >> Quite succinct, actually.

    >Is your real name John McCain?
    >
    >Otherwise, I couldn't give a **** less what you'd like to do.

    Then piss off trying to talk about it, you little fucking retard.

    Make up your fucking mind, BOY!

    StickThatInYourPipeAndSmokeIt, Jun 1, 2008
  18. On Sun, 01 Jun 2008 09:14:20 +1200, Alan Keatinge <>
    wrote:

    >On Fri, 30 May 2008 17:15:25 -0700, Tarkus
    ><> wrote:
    >
    >>StickThatInYourPipeAndSmokeIt wrote:
    >>> Experience is all any of us need.
    >>>
    >>> That is why Obama is the WRONG choice.
    >>>
    >>> NOT a Leader.
    >>>
    >>> NOT Experienced.
    >>>
    >>> NOT informed.
    >>>
    >>> A scary prospect, actually.

    >>Yes, almost as scary as someone who is "experienced" at supporting the
    >>killing and maiming of tens of thousands of people, for no apparent
    >>reason, and wanting it to continue indefinitely.

    >What is wrong with you guys? A person asks for help and you idiots are
    >off arguing about your politics. Why not stick to the subject and if
    >you want to argue politics then find the proper group.
    >
    >Alan Keatinge

    **** you, asswipe. This is NOT a fucking rip-it group, and if the
    poster had half a fucking brain, he would know how to find the right
    group to post his horseshit queries to.

    Maybe it is you NZ fucktards that think ripping DVDs is "normal"
    behavior.

    Maybe due to fucktard behaviors like yours, we are paying about $5 more
    per title than we should be.

    Maybe you should just **** off and die.

    The Last Mimsy, Jun 1, 2008
  19. Hank

    Hank Guest

    Re: DVDs --> hard drive? (Help-a-Newbie) --- Ping KEN

    Ken Maltby wrote:
    > "Hank" <> wrote in message
    >> One more thing...
    >>
    >> I'd like to preserve subtitles if possible.

    > If you copy the VIDEO_TS folder to the hard drive,
    > any software DVD player will be able to play the DVD
    > just as if it were on a DVD disk. You may have players
    > like WinDVD, or PowerDVD, that you might have gotten
    > bundled with a DVD drive. There are free players like
    > the VLC Media Player or my favorite Media Player
    > Classic, that will play DVDs, as well. You can set it up
    > so the movie menu plays when you click on a shortcut.
    >
    > All you need is something to decrypt the encrypted DVD
    > so that you can copy the VIDEO_TS folder. For all but
    > the newest DVDs you can find free programs to do the
    > decryption, DVDShrink and DVDecryptor being the best
    > known.
    >
    > A well respected commercial approach:
    > http://www.slysoft.com/en/
    >
    > Many full length movies are under 6GB in size, so you
    > could be able to figure out how many you can put in the
    > space left on your hard drive. These would be exactly
    > like they are on the DVD. You can shrink them, giving
    > up some image quality, and put more on your hard drive.
    > You can convert them to another compression format
    > and fit more that way as well, but it will take time and
    > you probably can make space on your laptop drive for
    > enough, at the original 6GB size DVD quality.
    >

    > Luck;
    > Ken

    Ken,

    Is there a difference between DVDecryptor and DVD
    Decrypter? I couldn't find the former, but the latter
    seems to work properly. However, it delivers multiple
    copies of some files - that must be sorted out.

    You're right in that the most sensible solution is to
    use them undiminished in quality or size - there's
    plenty of disk space.

    And btw, every dvd that I wish to put on my hard drive
    for travel is owned by someone in the household - this
    is not piracy, as I understand it.

    Thanks,
    Hank

    Hank, Jun 1, 2008
  20. Hank

    FatBytestard Guest

    On Sat, 31 May 2008 19:35:37 -0700, Hank <> wrote:

    >Ken Maltby wrote:
    >> "Hank" <> wrote in message
    >>> One more thing...
    >>>
    >>> I'd like to preserve subtitles if possible.

    >> If you copy the VIDEO_TS folder to the hard drive,
    >> any software DVD player will be able to play the DVD
    >> just as if it were on a DVD disk. You may have players
    >> like WinDVD, or PowerDVD, that you might have gotten
    >> bundled with a DVD drive. There are free players like
    >> the VLC Media Player or my favorite Media Player
    >> Classic, that will play DVDs, as well. You can set it up
    >> so the movie menu plays when you click on a shortcut.
    >>
    >> All you need is something to decrypt the encrypted DVD
    >> so that you can copy the VIDEO_TS folder. For all but
    >> the newest DVDs you can find free programs to do the
    >> decryption, DVDShrink and DVDecryptor being the best
    >> known.
    >>
    >> A well respected commercial approach:
    >> http://www.slysoft.com/en/
    >>
    >> Many full length movies are under 6GB in size, so you
    >> could be able to figure out how many you can put in the
    >> space left on your hard drive. These would be exactly
    >> like they are on the DVD. You can shrink them, giving
    >> up some image quality, and put more on your hard drive.
    >> You can convert them to another compression format
    >> and fit more that way as well, but it will take time and
    >> you probably can make space on your laptop drive for
    >> enough, at the original 6GB size DVD quality.
    >>

    >> Luck;
    >> Ken
    >>

    >Ken,
    >
    >Is there a difference between DVDecryptor and DVD
    >Decrypter? I couldn't find the former, but the latter
    >seems to work properly. However, it delivers multiple
    >copies of some files - that must be sorted out.
    >
    >You're right in that the most sensible solution is to
    >use them undiminished in quality or size - there's
    >plenty of disk space.
    >
    >And btw, every dvd that I wish to put on my hard drive
    >for travel is owned by someone in the household - this
    >is not piracy, as I understand it.
    >
    >Thanks,
    >Hank

    No, but running the decryption software on a DVD IS considered as such.

    FatBytestard, Jun 1, 2008