DVDs - "Blanks" and "Fully Erased" ... What's the difference?

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by Ron, Mar 30, 2007.

  1. Ron

    Ron Guest

    Hi! .....
    My "Pioneer" 'DVR-310' DVD Recorder accepts
    and records to "DVD-R" and "DVD-RW" disks
    provided they are brand new *blanks*.
    It, however, rejects used DVD-RW disks if
    they have been used to record computer data,
    movies or anything else on another computer
    or DVD recorder earlier.
    This rejection of the DVD-RW by the Pioneer
    unit happens even when the (used) DVD-RW disk
    is fully reformatted (using "InCD" full format)
    or even after erasing the whole DVD-RW disk (using
    'Nero').
    Anyone know why?
    Is there any utility that can get a used DVD-RW
    back to its' original "blank" condition... sort
    of like "fdisk" dvd ?
    Thanks for any help or suggestions.

    Ron, Mar 30, 2007

  2. Ron

    Stan Guest

    Ron <> wrote in

    > Hi! .....
    > My "Pioneer" 'DVR-310' DVD Recorder accepts
    > and records to "DVD-R" and "DVD-RW" disks
    > provided they are brand new *blanks*.
    > It, however, rejects used DVD-RW disks if
    > they have been used to record computer data,
    > movies or anything else on another computer
    > or DVD recorder earlier.

    Doesn't the Pioneer have a built-in function to erase or format RW disks?

    Stan, Mar 30, 2007

  3. Ron

    Ron Guest

    On Fri, 30 Mar 2007 19:04:51 GMT, Stan <> wrote:

    >Ron <> wrote in
    >

    >> Hi! .....
    >> My "Pioneer" 'DVR-310' DVD Recorder accepts
    >> and records to "DVD-R" and "DVD-RW" disks
    >> provided they are brand new *blanks*.
    >> It, however, rejects used DVD-RW disks if
    >> they have been used to record computer data,
    >> movies or anything else on another computer
    >> or DVD recorder earlier.

    >Doesn't the Pioneer have a built-in function to erase or format RW disks?

    No, it does not have either "erase" or "format" functions.
    What it does when you put in a new *blank* DVD-RW is
    to "auto initialize" the blank DVD-RW media. Once the
    Pioneer Digital Video Recorder has done this, ther are
    many editing functions that can be selected to delete,
    rename, (etc) your video clips...... then, when the media
    is nearly full, you can "finalize" it and you have your
    completed DVD.

    Ron, Mar 30, 2007
  4. Ron

    GMAN Guest

    In article <>, Ron <> wrote:

    >Hi! .....
    >My "Pioneer" 'DVR-310' DVD Recorder accepts
    >and records to "DVD-R" and "DVD-RW" disks
    >provided they are brand new *blanks*.
    >It, however, rejects used DVD-RW disks if
    >they have been used to record computer data,
    >movies or anything else on another computer
    >or DVD recorder earlier.
    >This rejection of the DVD-RW by the Pioneer
    >unit happens even when the (used) DVD-RW disk
    >is fully reformatted (using "InCD" full format)
    >or even after erasing the whole DVD-RW disk (using
    >'Nero').
    >Anyone know why?
    >Is there any utility that can get a used DVD-RW
    >back to its' original "blank" condition... sort
    >of like "fdisk" dvd ?
    >Thanks for any help or suggestions.

    The format routine built into the DVD Standalone recorder should offer to do
    this.

    GMAN, Mar 30, 2007
  5. Ron

    GMAN Guest

    In article <>, Ron <> wrote:
    >On Fri, 30 Mar 2007 19:04:51 GMT, Stan <> wrote:
    >
    >>Ron <> wrote in
    >>

    >>> Hi! .....
    >>> My "Pioneer" 'DVR-310' DVD Recorder accepts
    >>> and records to "DVD-R" and "DVD-RW" disks
    >>> provided they are brand new *blanks*.
    >>> It, however, rejects used DVD-RW disks if
    >>> they have been used to record computer data,
    >>> movies or anything else on another computer
    >>> or DVD recorder earlier.

    >>Doesn't the Pioneer have a built-in function to erase or format RW disks?

    >No, it does not have either "erase" or "format" functions.
    >What it does when you put in a new *blank* DVD-RW is
    >to "auto initialize" the blank DVD-RW media. Once the
    >Pioneer Digital Video Recorder has done this, ther are
    >many editing functions that can be selected to delete,
    >rename, (etc) your video clips...... then, when the media
    >is nearly full, you can "finalize" it and you have your
    >completed DVD.

    There has to be some sort of internal menu with a format function.

    GMAN, Mar 30, 2007
  6. Ron

    Rick Merrill Guest

    GMAN wrote:
    > In article <>, Ron <> wrote:
    >> On Fri, 30 Mar 2007 19:04:51 GMT, Stan <> wrote:
    >>
    >>> Ron <> wrote in

    >>> Doesn't the Pioneer have a built-in function to erase or format RW disks?

    >> No, it does not have either "erase" or "format" functions.
    >> What it does when you put in a new *blank* DVD-RW is
    >> to "auto initialize" the blank DVD-RW media. Once the
    >> Pioneer Digital Video Recorder has done this, ther are
    >> many editing functions that can be selected to delete,
    >> rename, (etc) your video clips...... then, when the media
    >> is nearly full, you can "finalize" it and you have your
    >> completed DVD.
    >>

    > There has to be some sort of internal menu with a format function.

    I'm sure there is: "format?" yes, "are you sure?" yes,
    "start?" yes , whew!

    Rick Merrill, Mar 31, 2007
  7. Ron

    Ron Guest

    On Fri, 30 Mar 2007 22:03:21 GMT,
    (GMAN) wrote:

    >In article <>, Ron <> wrote:
    >>On Fri, 30 Mar 2007 19:04:51 GMT, Stan <> wrote:
    >>
    >>>Ron <> wrote in

    >>>Doesn't the Pioneer have a built-in function to erase or format RW disks?

    >>No, it does not have either "erase" or "format" functions.
    >>What it does when you put in a new *blank* DVD-RW is
    >>to "auto initialize" the blank DVD-RW media. Once the
    >>Pioneer Digital Video Recorder has done this, ther are
    >>many editing functions that can be selected to delete,
    >>rename, (etc) your video clips...... then, when the media
    >>is nearly full, you can "finalize" it and you have your
    >>completed DVD.
    >>

    >There has to be some sort of internal menu with a format function.

    There *are* internal Menu functions... one of which is
    "Disk Setup" ..... Manually selecting this option lets
    you choose to "Initialize", "Finalize" and "Undo Finalize"
    ...... non of these functions function <S> except when a
    new blank DVD-RW ( or a DVD-RW that had originally
    been initialized by this Pioneer DVR ) is used.
    I've tried formatting and/or wiping using "Nero", "InCD"
    and "Alcohol-120%" ... but the Pioneer does not accept
    the 'prepaired' DVD-RWs for normal processing.
    these
    I believe a utility that gets rid of *all* TOC and all sector/
    formatting/finalizing info while wiping the DVD-RW would
    enable pre used DVD-RWs to be recordable on the
    Pioneer DVR.

    Ron, Mar 31, 2007
  8. Ron

    MassiveProng Guest

    On Sat, 31 Mar 2007 02:49:53 +0800, Ron <> Gave
    us:

    >Hi! .....
    >My "Pioneer"

    The difference is that alt.video.dvd is the WRONG GROUP for disc
    burning questions, dipshit!

    MassiveProng, Mar 31, 2007
  9. Ron

    Ian Jackson Guest

    In message <>, MassiveProng
    <> writes
    >On Sat, 31 Mar 2007 02:49:53 +0800, Ron <> Gave
    >us:
    >
    >>Hi! .....
    >>My "Pioneer"

    > The difference is that alt.video.dvd is the WRONG GROUP for disc
    >burning questions, dipshit!

    Anyone got a copy of the charter?
    Ian.

    Ian Jackson, Mar 31, 2007
  10. Ron

    Jan B Guest

    On Sat, 31 Mar 2007 04:15:50 +0800, Ron <>
    wrote:

    >On Fri, 30 Mar 2007 19:04:51 GMT, Stan <> wrote:
    >
    >>Ron <> wrote in
    >>

    >>> Hi! .....
    >>> My "Pioneer" 'DVR-310' DVD Recorder accepts
    >>> and records to "DVD-R" and "DVD-RW" disks
    >>> provided they are brand new *blanks*.
    >>> It, however, rejects used DVD-RW disks if
    >>> they have been used to record computer data,
    >>> movies or anything else on another computer
    >>> or DVD recorder earlier.

    >>Doesn't the Pioneer have a built-in function to erase or format RW disks?

    >No, it does not have either "erase" or "format" functions.
    >What it does when you put in a new *blank* DVD-RW is
    >to "auto initialize" the blank DVD-RW media. Once the
    >Pioneer Digital Video Recorder has done this, ther are
    >many editing functions that can be selected to delete,
    >rename, (etc) your video clips...... then, when the media
    >is nearly full, you can "finalize" it and you have your
    >completed DVD.

    I'm not familiar with Pioneer, but I also notice that erasing the disc
    on the computer (quick or full using any of InCD Erase, Plextor
    utility, Nero Burning ROM) does not make it look new to the
    stand-alone recorder.

    It's not a big problem on my Philips (DVDR70) because it gives me the
    option to quickly erase the disc with "unknown data" when I put it in.

    What you should look for is a manual erase function.
    On the Philips it is done by having the tray open and keep pressing
    the "Clear" button on the remote for 10 seconds.

    I guess you have tried the manual Initialize command under "Disc
    Setup".

    /Jan

    Jan B, Mar 31, 2007
  11. Ron

    alvey Guest

    On Sat, 31 Mar 2007 07:53:42 +0100, Ian Jackson wrote:

    > In message <>, MassiveProng
    > <> writes
    >>On Sat, 31 Mar 2007 02:49:53 +0800, Ron <> Gave
    >>us:
    >>
    >>>Hi! .....
    >>>My "Pioneer"

    >> The difference is that alt.video.dvd is the WRONG GROUP for disc
    >>burning questions, dipshit!

    > Anyone got a copy of the charter?
    > Ian.

    If there was one then I'd expect that you'd be in breach of it. You know,
    the point that says; Thou Shall Not Respond to Trolls or Deadshits.

    alvey

    alvey, Mar 31, 2007
  12. Ron

    Richard C. Guest

    "MassiveProng" <> wrote in
    message news:...
    > On Sat, 31 Mar 2007 02:49:53 +0800, Ron <> Gave
    > us:
    >
    >>Hi! .....
    >>My "Pioneer"

    > The difference is that alt.video.dvd is the WRONG GROUP for disc
    > burning questions, dipshit!

    ===========================
    Not necessarily, dimwit!

    Richard C., Mar 31, 2007
  13. Ron

    Ron Guest

    On Sat, 31 Mar 2007 09:23:47 +0200, Jan B <> wrote:

    >On Sat, 31 Mar 2007 04:15:50 +0800, Ron <>
    >wrote:
    >
    >>On Fri, 30 Mar 2007 19:04:51 GMT, Stan <> wrote:
    >>
    >>>Ron <> wrote in

    >>>Doesn't the Pioneer have a built-in function to erase or format RW disks?

    >>No, it does not have either "erase" or "format" functions.
    >>What it does when you put in a new *blank* DVD-RW is
    >>to "auto initialize" the blank DVD-RW media. Once the
    >>Pioneer Digital Video Recorder has done this, ther are
    >>many editing functions that can be selected to delete,
    >>rename, (etc) your video clips...... then, when the media
    >>is nearly full, you can "finalize" it and you have your
    >>completed DVD.

    >I'm not familiar with Pioneer, but I also notice that erasing the disc
    >on the computer (quick or full using any of InCD Erase, Plextor
    >utility, Nero Burning ROM) does not make it look new to the
    >stand-alone recorder.
    >
    >It's not a big problem on my Philips (DVDR70) because it gives me the
    >option to quickly erase the disc with "unknown data" when I put it in.
    >
    >What you should look for is a manual erase function.
    >On the Philips it is done by having the tray open and keep pressing
    >the "Clear" button on the remote for 10 seconds.
    >
    >I guess you have tried the manual Initialize command under "Disc
    >Setup".
    >
    >/Jan

    At least your Philips DVDRR70 enables you to "quickly erase the
    disc" ..... My Pioneer DVR-310 does not allow me to do anything
    ( erase, initialize,delete or wipe) to make the (used) DVD_RW
    recordable.
    No problems whatsoever with *new* blank DV-RWs though.....

    Ron, Mar 31, 2007
  14. Ron

    Ron Guest

    On Sat, 31 Mar 2007 16:01:43 GMT,
    (GMAN) wrote:

    >>>There has to be some sort of internal menu with a format function.

    >>There *are* internal Menu functions... one of which is
    >>"Disk Setup" ..... Manually selecting this option lets
    >>you choose to "Initialize", "Finalize" and "Undo Finalize"
    >>...... non of these functions function <S> except when a
    >>new blank DVD-RW ( or a DVD-RW that had originally
    >>been initialized by this Pioneer DVR ) is used.
    >>I've tried formatting and/or wiping using "Nero", "InCD"
    >>and "Alcohol-120%" ... but the Pioneer does not accept
    >>the 'prepaired' DVD-RWs for normal processing.
    >>these
    >>I believe a utility that gets rid of *all* TOC and all sector/
    >>formatting/finalizing info while wiping the DVD-RW would
    >>enable pre used DVD-RWs to be recordable on the
    >>Pioneer DVR.

    >I'm looking at page 53 of the manual right now, have you tried both VR and
    >VIDEO modes?

    Page 53 - About recording using "VR Mode" and "Video Mode" .....
    These work for a new blank DVD-RW but are not operational
    when a formatted or erased disk is used.
    ALL functions behave normally with *new* blanks though .....

    Ron, Mar 31, 2007
  15. Ron

    MassiveProng Guest

    On Sat, 31 Mar 2007 07:53:42 +0100, Ian Jackson
    <> Gave us:

    >In message <>, MassiveProng
    ><> writes
    >>On Sat, 31 Mar 2007 02:49:53 +0800, Ron <> Gave
    >>us:
    >>
    >>>Hi! .....
    >>>My "Pioneer"

    >> The difference is that alt.video.dvd is the WRONG GROUP for disc
    >>burning questions, dipshit!

    >Anyone got a copy of the charter?
    >Ian.

    You're a fucking retard! The dvdr group was, is, and always has been
    the right group for this stupid burn it crap.

    Not a.v.d, ya clueless fucktards.

    MassiveProng, Mar 31, 2007
  16. Ron

    MassiveProng Guest

    On Sat, 31 Mar 2007 20:44:17 +1000, alvey
    <> Gave us:

    >On Sat, 31 Mar 2007 07:53:42 +0100, Ian Jackson wrote:
    >
    >> In message <>, MassiveProng
    >> <> writes
    >>>On Sat, 31 Mar 2007 02:49:53 +0800, Ron <> Gave
    >>>us:

    >>> The difference is that alt.video.dvd is the WRONG GROUP for disc
    >>>burning questions, dipshit!

    >> Anyone got a copy of the charter?
    >> Ian.

    >If there was one then I'd expect that you'd be in breach of it. You know,
    >the point that says; Thou Shall Not Respond to Trolls or Deadshits.

    I doubt very seriously that the charter for this group contains any
    such dumb shit, you stupid fucktard.

    MassiveProng, Mar 31, 2007
  17. Ron

    GMAN Guest

    GMAN, Mar 31, 2007
  18. Ron

    MassiveProng Guest

    On Sat, 31 Mar 2007 08:27:11 -0700, "Richard C."
    <> Gave us:

    **** off, RichTard!

    MassiveProng, Mar 31, 2007
  19. Ron

    Richard C. Guest

    Your people skills are lower than that of a 9 year old abused boy!
    Real adults use NONE of the words that you spew out in every post you make.

    Grow up, you pathetic little man.

    ==================================
    "MassiveProng" <> wrote in
    message news:...

    Richard C., Mar 31, 2007
  20. Ron

    Stan Brown Guest

    Sat, 31 Mar 2007 23:35:32 +0800 from Ron <>:
    > My Pioneer DVR-310 does not allow me to do anything
    > ( erase, initialize,delete or wipe) to make the (used) DVD_RW
    > recordable.
    > No problems whatsoever with *new* blank DV-RWs though....

    Have you tried asking in AVS Forum? I've received lots of help there
    with my Pioneer 633 and 640.

    http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/forumdisplay.php?f=106

    http://OakRoadSystems.com/

    Stan Brown, Mar 31, 2007