    this means I can spend up to $1000.00 on a DVDR give it to family and they
    ma or may not be able to view it in their DVD player. You have got to be
    kidding!

    PHroGman, Jan 12, 2004

  2. PHroGman

    Frode Guest

    Frode, Jan 12, 2004

  3. PHroGman

    Bill Guest

    That's indeed the case, and some older DVD players may not be able to read
    any of the recordable formats. Instruction manuals for the players aren't
    necessarily helpful either--my Panasonic DVD-RV31 player handles DVD-R discs
    beautifully, but the manual insists that it cannot.

    "PHroGman" <> wrote in message
    > Im confused. I can go into a Blockbuster store get any DVD and play it in

    my

    Bill, Jan 12, 2004
  4. PHroGman

    Pug Fugley Guest

    "PHroGman" <> wrote in message
    > Im confused. I can go into a Blockbuster store get any DVD and play it in

    my
    > DVD player. If I buy a DVDR I have to be aware of this +/- format crap.

    Yes, because real DVD's are pressed. Recordables are burned. Big difference.

    So
    > this means I can spend up to $1000.00 on a DVDR

    Only if you're an idiot. Blank DVD's cost around $.89

    give it to family and they
    > ma or may not be able to view it in their DVD player. You have got to be
    > kidding!

    Only if their player is a complete pile of shit. Any good player will play
    all formats.

    Pug Fugley, Jan 12, 2004
  5. PHroGman

    Larry Gold Guest

    nope
    that's correct
    but
    I have read that DVD-R is the best to get, and most new DVD players will
    play DVD-R now

    --
    Larry.gold
    Arsenal For Life

    Larry Gold, Jan 17, 2004
  6. PHroGman

    Frode Guest

    Frode, Jan 17, 2004
  7. PHroGman

    Barabus Guest

    use dvd-rw's these are best as you can erase if needs be and still work on
    everything including ps2....

    "Frode" <> wrote in message

    Barabus, Jan 17, 2004
  8. PHroGman

    Frode Guest

    Frode, Jan 18, 2004
  9. PHroGman

    GMAN Guest

    GMAN, Jan 26, 2004
  10. PHroGman

    Frode Guest

    Frode, Feb 1, 2004
  11. PHroGman

    Skid Guest

    "Frode" <> wrote in message
    > If the price for a +R or -R = a buck or a bit less while -RW or +RW

    costing
    > a buck or a bit less more, that'd be a 100% price increase, wouldn't it?
    > I'd call that pretty substantial.

    Let's see. A +R or -R costs a buck and works once. A + or - RW costs two
    bucks and can be used a thousand times.

    Which is more cost-effective for testing purposes and incremental system
    backups?

    Which is more cost-effective for archiving movies?

    Hint: If you gave the same answer to both questions, you should have paid
    more attention in third-grade math.

    Skid, Feb 1, 2004
  12. PHroGman

    Frode Guest

    Frode, Feb 1, 2004
  13. PHroGman

    Skid Guest

    "Frode" <> wrote in message

    > Skid wrote:
    > >> a buck or a bit less more, that'd be a 100% price increase, wouldn't

    it?
    > >> I'd call that pretty substantial.

    > >Let's see. A +R or -R costs a buck and works once. A + or - RW costs two
    > >bucks and can be used a thousand times.

    > Most people tend to put stuff on DVD/CDs to keep it around for a good
    > whiles. While having a limited number of RWs around for the more fleeting
    > stuff. The post I replied to implied "nevermind +/-R, just buy RWs since
    > they're more compatible in playback devices". And a followup claimed it

    was
    > financially a sound concept.
    >
    > >Hint: If you gave the same answer to both questions, you should have paid
    > >more attention in third-grade math.

    > I see you're agreeing with me. So why the attitude?

    If we're in agreement, it's safe to conclude that any attitude in my post
    was aimed in the direction of prior posters. You passed the math quiz, so we
    have no quarrel.

    In addition to challenging the cost/benefit ratio, I also question the claim
    that RW discs are more compatible in playback devices. I have not found that
    to be true at all.

    DVD+R discs with the book type set to DVD-ROM seem to have the widest
    compatibility, followed by DVD-R. I have run across a number of players that
    can't handle +/- RW discs.

    People will argue above those conclusions, naturally, but they are based on
    personal experience that reflects that of many others posting here and
    around the net.

    Skid, Feb 2, 2004