    Is there any software that will allow me to make a dvdr disc that cannot be
    accessed until a password is entered, the disc contents should not show in
    explorer until the password is entered. Thanks.
    rolling, Jun 7, 2005

  2. In article <42a50816$>, "rolling" <rolling@along> wrote:

    >Is there any software that will allow me to make a dvdr disc that cannot be
    >accessed until a password is entered, the disc contents should not show in
    >explorer until the password is entered.

    Do you want a solution that is only effective under Dimdows? That is, it
    can be bypassed by putting the disc into a machine running a different
    OS?
    Lawrence D¹Oliveiro, Jun 7, 2005

  3. rolling

    David Guest

    rolling wrote:
    > Is there any software that will allow me to make a dvdr disc that cannot be
    > accessed until a password is entered, the disc contents should not show in
    > explorer until the password is entered. Thanks.

    there is free software called FileDisk for windows which lets you create
    encrypted file systems, in a file, on a partition or on an optical disk.
    It is commandline only but I think someone has written a GUI for it,
    although i have not used the GUI.

    http://www.acc.umu.se/~bosse/
    David, Jun 7, 2005

    Take a look at: http://www.truecrypt.org/
    John A Fergusion, Jun 7, 2005
  5. rolling

    rolling Guest

    "Lawrence D¹Oliveiro" <_zealand> wrote in message
    > In article <42a50816$>, "rolling" <rolling@along> wrote:
    >
    > >Is there any software that will allow me to make a dvdr disc that cannot

    be
    > >accessed until a password is entered, the disc contents should not show

    in
    > >explorer until the password is entered.

    > Do you want a solution that is only effective under Dimdows? That is, it
    > can be bypassed by putting the disc into a machine running a different
    > OS?

    Yeah a mswindows only version will do if that is all I can get.
    rolling, Jun 8, 2005
  6. rolling

    rolling Guest

    "John A Fergusion" <J.Ferguson@127.0.0.1> wrote in message
    > On Tue, 7 Jun 2005 14:35:42 +1200, rolling wrote:
    >
    > > Is there any software that will allow me to make a dvdr disc that cannot

    be
    > > accessed until a password is entered, the disc contents should not show

    in
    > > explorer until the password is entered. Thanks.

    > Take a look at: http://www.truecrypt.org/

    Thanks.
    I tried to be careful with the way I worded my query but I will try to
    explain further. I want exactly what I asked for in the original post, no
    more, i.e I do not want something which still allows access to the contents
    of the dvd, by access I mean been able to view any files at all even if it
    is just the name of the encrypted files. I already have a pgp key based
    program but this requires a lengthy decrypting process everytime I want to
    access the files. So I don't want to encrypt the files I simply want to make
    access to the dvdr only possible with a password, it does not have to be a
    bulletproof solution, just something that blocks the average computer user.
    I hope this explanation clears up exactly what I am after, thanks.
    rolling, Jun 8, 2005
  7. On Wed, 8 Jun 2005 12:33:38 +1200, rolling wrote:

    > "John A Fergusion" <J.Ferguson@127.0.0.1> wrote in message
    >> On Tue, 7 Jun 2005 14:35:42 +1200, rolling wrote:
    >>
    >>> Is there any software that will allow me to make a dvdr disc that cannot

    > be
    >>> accessed until a password is entered, the disc contents should not show

    > in
    >>> explorer until the password is entered. Thanks.

    >> Take a look at: http://www.truecrypt.org/

    > Thanks.
    > I tried to be careful with the way I worded my query but I will try to
    > explain further. I want exactly what I asked for in the original post, no
    > more, i.e I do not want something which still allows access to the contents
    > of the dvd, by access I mean been able to view any files at all even if it
    > is just the name of the encrypted files. I already have a pgp key based
    > program but this requires a lengthy decrypting process everytime I want to
    > access the files. So I don't want to encrypt the files I simply want to make
    > access to the dvdr only possible with a password, it does not have to be a
    > bulletproof solution, just something that blocks the average computer user.
    > I hope this explanation clears up exactly what I am after, thanks.

    TrueCrypt allows you to create an encrpted file system inside a single
    file. So the DVD that you distribute would have TrueCrypt runtime files and
    the encrypted volume, which can have any file name you like.
    The SENSITIVE file contents and the SENSITIVE file names are not visible to
    the user until they have:
    - Started TrueCrypt (note in Traveller Mode this requires Administrative
    privileges - which may be a killer for you)
    - Mounted the Encrypted Volume so that it appears as a "new"' hard drive in
    explorer. This requires the correct password to be entered.
    - Navigated, in Explorer, to the newly "mounted" hard drive.

    The above method will prevent unauthorised access to sensitive data, which
    is perhaps all that you actually need, but it isn't exactly what you asked
    for and may prove to be too cumbersome for your "average user".

    I don't know of any software that does exactly what you have asked for.
    John A Fergusion, Jun 8, 2005
  8. rolling

    > On Wed, 8 Jun 2005 12:33:38 +1200, rolling wrote:
    >
    > > "John A Fergusion" <J.Ferguson@127.0.0.1> wrote in message

    cannot
    > > be

    show
    > > in
    > >>
    > >> Take a look at: http://www.truecrypt.org/

    > > Thanks.
    > > I tried to be careful with the way I worded my query but I will try to
    > > explain further. I want exactly what I asked for in the original post,

    no
    > > more, i.e I do not want something which still allows access to the

    contents
    > > of the dvd, by access I mean been able to view any files at all even if

    it
    > > is just the name of the encrypted files. I already have a pgp key based
    > > program but this requires a lengthy decrypting process everytime I want

    > > access the files. So I don't want to encrypt the files I simply want to

    make
    > > access to the dvdr only possible with a password, it does not have to be

    > > bulletproof solution, just something that blocks the average computer

    user.
    > > I hope this explanation clears up exactly what I am after, thanks.

    > TrueCrypt allows you to create an encrpted file system inside a single
    > file. So the DVD that you distribute would have TrueCrypt runtime files

    and
    > the encrypted volume, which can have any file name you like.
    > The SENSITIVE file contents and the SENSITIVE file names are not visible

    > the user until they have:
    > - Started TrueCrypt (note in Traveller Mode this requires Administrative
    > privileges - which may be a killer for you)
    > - Mounted the Encrypted Volume so that it appears as a "new"' hard drive

    in
    > explorer. This requires the correct password to be entered.
    > - Navigated, in Explorer, to the newly "mounted" hard drive.
    >
    > The above method will prevent unauthorised access to sensitive data, which
    > is perhaps all that you actually need, but it isn't exactly what you asked
    > for and may prove to be too cumbersome for your "average user".
    >
    > I don't know of any software that does exactly what you have asked for.

    Thanks, what you describe is basically what I have already been using
    although it is not called truecrypt and it maynot allow volume encryption.
    As you say this method is too cumbersome, I only need to block access to the
    volume, encrypting the files involves a lengthy decrypting process everytime
    I want to access the files, I would want access to all the files at once
    which adds up to hundreds of megabytes hence the lengthy decrypting process.
    Thanks anyhow.
    rolling, Jun 9, 2005