    and or able to give some help?

    Regards,
    Max.
    Dietmar Haltermann, Dec 22, 2008

  2. Dietmar Haltermann

    Gary Guest

    "Dietmar Haltermann" <> wrote in message
    > Hi all,
    > Does anyone in this news group have DVDLab Pro and is willing
    > and or able to give some help?

    I do and am. But you might want to check the forum and search their
    knowledge base:
    http://www.mmbgroup.com/kb/
    Gary, Jan 2, 2009

  3. Dietmar Haltermann

    > Hi all,
    > Does anyone in this news group have DVDLab Pro and is willing
    > and or able to give some help?

    I do and am. But you might want to check their forum first:
    http://mmbforums.com/ipb/
    Gary, Jan 2, 2009
  4. "Gary" <> wrote in message

    > "Dietmar Haltermann" <> wrote in message
    >> Hi all,
    >> Does anyone in this news group have DVDLab Pro and is willing
    >> and or able to give some help?

    > I do and am. But you might want to check their forum first:
    > http://mmbforums.com/ipb/

    Thanks for your reply, Gary.

    I spent about half hour with mmbforums. Only a few postings re DVD-lab.
    Wenn I checked posting dates I gave up.
    A help request made in mid 2008 with a simple problem had received no
    reply at all.

    I also tried to post in Videohelp, but for unknown reasons I can't log in.
    They refute my email address as well as my name. An email sent 10 days
    ago is ignored.

    I like science, health and political and historic documentaries, which often
    come in multi episodes. So I burn them to DVD which usually is
    no problem but...

    I use a pc tuner as well as 2 stand alone recorders. My location gives both
    analog and digital signals. Both suffer frequently from interference but
    usually not at the same time.

    Result is that episodes of the same series may have different formats:
    16/9 or 4/3 ratios. Sound files too sometimes have different formats.
    Identical clips including chapters work fine from a common VTS menu.

    DVD-lab advises use of a VMG menu with different VTS menus.
    The idea is that the VMG menu titles link to individual VTS menus.

    This works sometimes and at others I get error message saying as much
    as that the VMG menu can only have links to one VTS ? This seems to
    contradict the whole idea of a VMG menu.
    Also returning from an episode back to the VMG menu is dicey.

    I am usually good at working from printed manuals. The DVD-lab menu is a
    very bad example of a printout of a pc based manual with lots of links to
    other pages. This is fine if you can dedicate a separate pc for the manual.

    But you cannot duplicate the pc link system in book form.
    Not only would every link have to have the target page listed, but also the
    target would give the origin page as well, but which origin page?

    I would be grateful for any helpful advice

    Regards,
    Dietmar.
    Dietmar Haltermann, Jan 4, 2009
  5. Dietmar Haltermann

    Gary Guest

    Hi Dietmar

    > Result is that episodes of the same series may have different formats:
    > 16/9 or 4/3 ratios. Sound files too sometimes have different formats.
    > Identical clips including chapters work fine from a common VTS menu.
    >
    > DVD-lab advises use of a VMG menu with different VTS menus.
    > The idea is that the VMG menu titles link to individual VTS menus.
    >
    > This works sometimes and at others I get error message saying as much
    > as that the VMG menu can only have links to one VTS ? This seems to
    > contradict the whole idea of a VMG menu.
    > Also returning from an episode back to the VMG menu is dicey.

    For multiple VTS, try creating a playlist. For the second VTS movie(s), put
    them in the playlist (either the same one or separate, as desired).
    You should be able to then link to that from the VMG menu, or indeed any
    menu in VTS1!

    To return back to previous menus at the end, use a "last menu return" object
    and link the movies in VTS2 to that.

    I would suggest transforming all sound files into AC3 for greater
    compatibility. Use a high bit-rate to avoid any loss in quality.

    Hope this helps, let me know how you get on :)

    Regards,
    Gary
    Gary, Jan 4, 2009
  6. "Gary" <> wrote in message
    > Hi Dietmar
    >
    >> Result is that episodes of the same series may have different formats:
    >> 16/9 or 4/3 ratios. Sound files too sometimes have different formats.
    >> Identical clips including chapters work fine from a common VTS menu.
    >>
    >> DVD-lab advises use of a VMG menu with different VTS menus.
    >> The idea is that the VMG menu titles link to individual VTS menus.
    >>
    >> This works sometimes and at others I get error message saying as much
    >> as that the VMG menu can only have links to one VTS ? This seems to
    >> contradict the whole idea of a VMG menu.
    >> Also returning from an episode back to the VMG menu is dicey.

    > For multiple VTS, try creating a playlist. For the second VTS movie(s),
    > put
    > them in the playlist (either the same one or separate, as desired).

    I am not sure what a playlist is. Do you mean more than one title of same
    format in VTS? Or is it something different?

    > You should be able to then link to that from the VMG menu, or indeed any
    > menu in VTS1!

    That is where I have problems with the linking. Error messages say I cannot
    link more than one VTS to the VMG, but sometimes I can. Frustrating!

    > To return back to previous menus at the end, use a "last menu return"
    > object
    > and link the movies in VTS2 to that.

    What is a "last menu return object"?

    > I would suggest transforming all sound files into AC3 for greater
    > compatibility. Use a high bit-rate to avoid any loss in quality.

    Yes, I do that often if sound files are the only difference.

    > Hope this helps, let me know how you get on :)
    >
    > Regards,
    > Gary

    Thanks for your patience, Gary.

    Regards,
    Dietmar.
    Dietmar Haltermann, Jan 9, 2009
  7. Dietmar Haltermann

    > I am not sure what a playlist is. Do you mean more than one title of same
    > format in VTS? Or is it something different?

    A playlist is an object you can link to which is like a container. I believe
    it can contain movies from any VTS.

    > That is where I have problems with the linking. Error messages say I
    > cannot
    > link more than one VTS to the VMG, but sometimes I can. Frustrating!

    Just forget about the VMG menu for now. You can link from say, VTS1 to VTS2
    in the way I've mentioned.

    > What is a "last menu return object"?

    It's just that ;)
    You'd normally link the movie to return to it at the end, so when it does
    end it returns to the menu it was selected from.

    To add one, go to the Connections window, right click, then select "Add".
    You will then see a list of things you can add, including the playlist and
    return to last menu objects.

    Regards,
    Gary
    Gary, Jan 12, 2009
  8. "Gary" <> wrote in message

    > "Dietmar Haltermann" <> wrote in message
    >
    >> I am not sure what a playlist is. Do you mean more than one title of same
    >> format in VTS? Or is it something different?

    > A playlist is an object you can link to which is like a container. I
    > believe it can contain movies from any VTS.
    >
    >> That is where I have problems with the linking. Error messages say I
    >> cannot
    >> link more than one VTS to the VMG, but sometimes I can. Frustrating!

    > Just forget about the VMG menu for now. You can link from say, VTS1 to
    > VTS2 in the way I've mentioned.
    >
    >> What is a "last menu return object"?

    > It's just that ;)
    > You'd normally link the movie to return to it at the end, so when it does
    > end it returns to the menu it was selected from.
    >
    > To add one, go to the Connections window, right click, then select "Add".
    > You will then see a list of things you can add, including the playlist and
    > return to last menu objects.
    >
    > Regards,
    > Gary

    Hi Gary,
    the last DVD turned out ok. Not quite sure why, but any
    success is a success! So I'll stay with it for the time being.

    Thanks very much.

    Regards,
    Dietmar.
    Dietmar Haltermann, Jan 27, 2009