DVDdrive reads as cd drive in xp?

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by rising, Mar 27, 2007.

  1. rising

    rising Guest

    I have got a weird problem where windows xp keeps recognizing my dvd's as
    cd's in my dvdwriter, if I go to erase one of my rewriteable dvd's in
    windows explorer it only gives me the option to erase a cdrw and it
    therefore does not work. The biggest problem I am having though is it taking
    a really long time to access a rewriteable dvd when I first put it in the
    drive and one disc is never recognized because the accessing attempts seem
    to time out before it manages to access it. This dvdwriter was working fine
    when it was in my old win98 machine but in this newly built machine with
    winxp I am having this problem and I can't figure out why, is it a software
    problem or some sort of hardware incompatibility problem, I would think it
    would be software. Anyhow the dvdwriter is a lg4163b, there are no firmware
    updates available for it, it is running on the secondary ide channel as a
    master and there is nothing on the primary ide not that that should make any
    difference, my harddrive is sata. Also i have nero installed but not incd.
    Winxp is using ntfs. Any type of dvd comes up as a cd in windowsexplorer
    although only some rewriteables are having trouble with accessing so it's
    all rather confusing because it looks like hardware in some ways but I need
    to eliminate the software problems before I consider if there is any
    hardware trouble. Googling has not been of any help so would really
    appreciate some ideas on this problem.

    rising, Mar 27, 2007

  2. rising

    rising Guest

    "rising" <rising@sun> wrote in message news:...
    >I have got a weird problem where windows xp keeps recognizing my dvd's as
    > cd's in my dvdwriter, if I go to erase one of my rewriteable dvd's in
    > windows explorer it only gives me the option to erase a cdrw and it
    > therefore does not work. The biggest problem I am having though is it
    > taking
    > a really long time to access a rewriteable dvd when I first put it in the
    > drive and one disc is never recognized because the accessing attempts seem
    > to time out before it manages to access it. This dvdwriter was working
    > fine
    > when it was in my old win98 machine but in this newly built machine with
    > winxp I am having this problem and I can't figure out why, is it a
    > software
    > problem or some sort of hardware incompatibility problem, I would think it
    > would be software. Anyhow the dvdwriter is a lg4163b, there are no
    > firmware
    > updates available for it, it is running on the secondary ide channel as a
    > master and there is nothing on the primary ide not that that should make
    > any
    > difference, my harddrive is sata. Also i have nero installed but not incd.
    > Winxp is using ntfs. Any type of dvd comes up as a cd in windowsexplorer
    > although only some rewriteables are having trouble with accessing so it's
    > all rather confusing because it looks like hardware in some ways but I
    > need to eliminate the software problems before I consider if there is any
    > hardware trouble. Googling has not been of any help so would really
    > appreciate some ideas on this problem.

    I knew I would forget something, winxp has sp2 applied.

    rising, Mar 27, 2007

  3. rising

    rising Guest

    "rising" <rising@sun> wrote in message news:...
    >I have got a weird problem where windows xp keeps recognizing my dvd's as
    > cd's in my dvdwriter, if I go to erase one of my rewriteable dvd's in
    > windows explorer it only gives me the option to erase a cdrw and it
    > therefore does not work. The biggest problem I am having though is it
    > taking
    > a really long time to access a rewriteable dvd when I first put it in the
    > drive and one disc is never recognized because the accessing attempts seem
    > to time out before it manages to access it. This dvdwriter was working
    > fine
    > when it was in my old win98 machine but in this newly built machine with
    > winxp I am having this problem and I can't figure out why, is it a
    > software
    > problem or some sort of hardware incompatibility problem, I would think it
    > would be software. Anyhow the dvdwriter is a lg4163b, there are no
    > firmware
    > updates available for it, it is running on the secondary ide channel as a
    > master and there is nothing on the primary ide not that that should make
    > any
    > difference, my harddrive is sata. Also i have nero installed but not incd.
    > Winxp is using ntfs. Any type of dvd comes up as a cd in windowsexplorer
    > although only some rewriteables are having trouble with accessing so it's
    > all rather confusing because it looks like hardware in some ways but I
    > need to eliminate the software problems before I consider if there is any
    > hardware trouble. Googling has not been of any help so would really
    > appreciate some ideas on this problem.

    And the dvd's I am having trouble with are not multisession and were not
    recorded on with packet recording, i.e incd etc...

    rising, Mar 27, 2007
  4. rising

    rising Guest

    "rising" <rising@sun> wrote in message news:...
    >I have got a weird problem where windows xp keeps recognizing my dvd's as
    > cd's in my dvdwriter, if I go to erase one of my rewriteable dvd's in
    > windows explorer it only gives me the option to erase a cdrw and it
    > therefore does not work. The biggest problem I am having though is it
    > taking
    > a really long time to access a rewriteable dvd when I first put it in the
    > drive and one disc is never recognized because the accessing attempts seem
    > to time out before it manages to access it. This dvdwriter was working
    > fine
    > when it was in my old win98 machine but in this newly built machine with
    > winxp I am having this problem and I can't figure out why, is it a
    > software
    > problem or some sort of hardware incompatibility problem, I would think it
    > would be software. Anyhow the dvdwriter is a lg4163b, there are no
    > firmware
    > updates available for it, it is running on the secondary ide channel as a
    > master and there is nothing on the primary ide not that that should make
    > any
    > difference, my harddrive is sata. Also i have nero installed but not incd.
    > Winxp is using ntfs. Any type of dvd comes up as a cd in windowsexplorer
    > although only some rewriteables are having trouble with accessing so it's
    > all rather confusing because it looks like hardware in some ways but I
    > need to eliminate the software problems before I consider if there is any
    > hardware trouble. Googling has not been of any help so would really
    > appreciate some ideas on this problem.

    Does anyone know of an easy way to boot to another os that does not require
    a floppy drive or the use of the harddrive, I could borrow a usbdrive and
    install live linux to it so I can boot to linux, I have no experience with
    linux but hopefully it would be easy enough to just put a dvd into the drive
    and see if it has the same trouble reading as it does under winxp.

    rising, Mar 28, 2007
  5. rising

    Mathew Good Guest

    On Wed, 28 Mar 2007 10:35:28 +1200, "rising" <rising@sun> wrote:

    >I have got a weird problem where windows xp keeps recognizing my dvd's as
    >cd's in my dvdwriter, if I go to erase one of my rewriteable dvd's in
    >windows explorer it only gives me the option to erase a cdrw and it
    >therefore does not work. The biggest problem I am having though is it taking
    >a really long time to access a rewriteable dvd when I first put it in the
    >drive and one disc is never recognized because the accessing attempts seem
    >to time out before it manages to access it. This dvdwriter was working fine
    >when it was in my old win98 machine but in this newly built machine with
    >winxp I am having this problem and I can't figure out why, is it a software
    >problem or some sort of hardware incompatibility problem, I would think it
    >would be software. Anyhow the dvdwriter is a lg4163b, there are no firmware
    >updates available for it, it is running on the secondary ide channel as a
    >master and there is nothing on the primary ide not that that should make any
    >difference, my harddrive is sata. Also i have nero installed but not incd.
    >Winxp is using ntfs. Any type of dvd comes up as a cd in windowsexplorer
    >although only some rewriteables are having trouble with accessing so it's
    >all rather confusing because it looks like hardware in some ways but I need
    >to eliminate the software problems before I consider if there is any
    >hardware trouble. Googling has not been of any help so would really
    >appreciate some ideas on this problem.

    RW DVD/ CD's will have a long time to recognize the CD DVD, Plus your laser lens could be dirty..

    Also what shown in my Computer, DVD or CD..

    Mathew Good, Mar 28, 2007
  6. rising

    rising Guest

    "Mathew Good" <> wrote in message
    > On Wed, 28 Mar 2007 10:35:28 +1200, "rising" <rising@sun> wrote:
    >
    >>I have got a weird problem where windows xp keeps recognizing my dvd's as
    >>cd's in my dvdwriter, if I go to erase one of my rewriteable dvd's in
    >>windows explorer it only gives me the option to erase a cdrw and it
    >>therefore does not work. The biggest problem I am having though is it
    >>taking
    >>a really long time to access a rewriteable dvd when I first put it in the
    >>drive and one disc is never recognized because the accessing attempts seem
    >>to time out before it manages to access it. This dvdwriter was working
    >>fine
    >>when it was in my old win98 machine but in this newly built machine with
    >>winxp I am having this problem and I can't figure out why, is it a
    >>software
    >>problem or some sort of hardware incompatibility problem, I would think it
    >>would be software. Anyhow the dvdwriter is a lg4163b, there are no
    >>firmware
    >>updates available for it, it is running on the secondary ide channel as a
    >>master and there is nothing on the primary ide not that that should make
    >>any
    >>difference, my harddrive is sata. Also i have nero installed but not incd.
    >>Winxp is using ntfs. Any type of dvd comes up as a cd in windowsexplorer
    >>although only some rewriteables are having trouble with accessing so it's
    >>all rather confusing because it looks like hardware in some ways but I
    >>need
    >>to eliminate the software problems before I consider if there is any
    >>hardware trouble. Googling has not been of any help so would really
    >>appreciate some ideas on this problem.
    >>

    > RW DVD/ CD's will have a long time to recognize the CD DVD, Plus your
    > laser lens could be dirty..

    Remember I only noticed this problem after shifting the drive to my new
    computer, the lens is not dirty and remember 1 disc took so long that the
    attempt timed out, I'm not talking normal behaviour here, there is
    definitely a problem.

    > Also what shown in my Computer, DVD or CD..

    Like I said, cd.

    rising, Mar 28, 2007
  7. rising

    Mathew Good Guest

    On Wed, 28 Mar 2007 13:44:52 +1200, "rising" <rising@sun> wrote:

    >"Mathew Good" <> wrote in message
    >> On Wed, 28 Mar 2007 10:35:28 +1200, "rising" <rising@sun> wrote:
    >>
    >>>I have got a weird problem where windows xp keeps recognizing my dvd's as
    >>>cd's in my dvdwriter, if I go to erase one of my rewriteable dvd's in
    >>>windows explorer it only gives me the option to erase a cdrw and it
    >>>therefore does not work. The biggest problem I am having though is it
    >>>taking
    >>>a really long time to access a rewriteable dvd when I first put it in the
    >>>drive and one disc is never recognized because the accessing attempts seem
    >>>to time out before it manages to access it. This dvdwriter was working
    >>>fine
    >>>when it was in my old win98 machine but in this newly built machine with
    >>>winxp I am having this problem and I can't figure out why, is it a
    >>>software
    >>>problem or some sort of hardware incompatibility problem, I would think it
    >>>would be software. Anyhow the dvdwriter is a lg4163b, there are no
    >>>firmware
    >>>updates available for it, it is running on the secondary ide channel as a
    >>>master and there is nothing on the primary ide not that that should make
    >>>any
    >>>difference, my harddrive is sata. Also i have nero installed but not incd.
    >>>Winxp is using ntfs. Any type of dvd comes up as a cd in windowsexplorer
    >>>although only some rewriteables are having trouble with accessing so it's
    >>>all rather confusing because it looks like hardware in some ways but I
    >>>need
    >>>to eliminate the software problems before I consider if there is any
    >>>hardware trouble. Googling has not been of any help so would really
    >>>appreciate some ideas on this problem.
    >>>

    >> RW DVD/ CD's will have a long time to recognize the CD DVD, Plus your
    >> laser lens could be dirty..
    >>

    >Remember I only noticed this problem after shifting the drive to my new
    >computer, the lens is not dirty and remember 1 disc took so long that the
    >attempt timed out, I'm not talking normal behaviour here, there is
    >definitely a problem.
    >
    >> Also what shown in my Computer, DVD or CD..
    >>

    >Like I said, cd.

    Do the Uninstall with Control Panel

    System Hardware / Device Manager, R click on the device and select uninstall.

    Then do a Reboot..

    Also what Fimware are you Using, is it A106..?

    Mathew Good, Mar 28, 2007
  8. rising

    > On Wed, 28 Mar 2007 13:44:52 +1200, "rising" <rising@sun> wrote:
    >

    >>"Mathew Good" <> wrote in message

    >>> RW DVD/ CD's will have a long time to recognize the CD DVD, Plus your
    >>> laser lens could be dirty..
    >>>

    >>Remember I only noticed this problem after shifting the drive to my new
    >>computer, the lens is not dirty and remember 1 disc took so long that the
    >>attempt timed out, I'm not talking normal behaviour here, there is
    >>definitely a problem.
    >>
    >>> Also what shown in my Computer, DVD or CD..
    >>>

    >>Like I said, cd.
    >>

    > Do the Uninstall with Control Panel
    >

    > System Hardware / Device Manager, R click on the device and select
    > uninstall.
    >
    > Then do a Reboot..
    >

    > Also what Fimware are you Using, is it A106..?

    Thanks but did you understand that the drive shows as a dvddrive until I put
    a dvd in and then it reads it and says cd in cd drive?
    The firmware is A104, am I to understand that you are using the same
    dvddrive as me?

    rising, Mar 28, 2007
  9. rising

    Mathew Good Guest

    On Wed, 28 Mar 2007 15:08:32 +1200, "rising" <rising@sun> wrote:

    >"Mathew Good" <> wrote in message
    >> On Wed, 28 Mar 2007 13:44:52 +1200, "rising" <rising@sun> wrote:
    >>

    >>>"Mathew Good" <> wrote in message

    >>>Remember I only noticed this problem after shifting the drive to my new
    >>>computer, the lens is not dirty and remember 1 disc took so long that the
    >>>attempt timed out, I'm not talking normal behaviour here, there is
    >>>definitely a problem.

    >>>Like I said, cd.
    >>>

    >> Do the Uninstall with Control Panel
    >>

    >> System Hardware / Device Manager, R click on the device and select
    >> uninstall.
    >>
    >> Then do a Reboot..
    >>

    >> Also what Fimware are you Using, is it A106..?
    >>

    >Thanks but did you understand that the drive shows as a dvddrive until I put
    >a dvd in and then it reads it and says cd in cd drive?
    >The firmware is A104, am I to understand that you are using the same
    >dvddrive as me?

    No been reading some Forums and found out about the Firmware, plus a chap had a Similar problem he
    fixed it by doing a IDE reinstall, but did not say what he really did..

    Do the Firmware update, as that can fix CD/DVD compatibility problems, but it can also trash your
    drive if things are not right, or you do not do it correctly, drive must be Master on the Secondary
    Port no other drive fitted and No cd/dvd in the drive..

    This site and the Forums has a lot of info

    http://www.cdfreaks.com/

    I think this was the link..

    http://www.techspot.com/vb/all/windows/t-59241-DVD-Burner-problem.html

    Mathew Good, Mar 28, 2007
  10. rising

    > On Wed, 28 Mar 2007 15:08:32 +1200, "rising" <rising@sun> wrote:
    >

    >>"Mathew Good" <> wrote in message

    >>> Do the Uninstall with Control Panel
    >>>

    >>> System Hardware / Device Manager, R click on the device and select
    >>> uninstall.
    >>>
    >>> Then do a Reboot..
    >>>

    >>> Also what Fimware are you Using, is it A106..?
    >>>

    >>Thanks but did you understand that the drive shows as a dvddrive until I
    >>put
    >>a dvd in and then it reads it and says cd in cd drive?
    >>The firmware is A104, am I to understand that you are using the same
    >>dvddrive as me?
    >>

    > No been reading some Forums and found out about the Firmware, plus a chap
    > had a Similar problem he
    > fixed it by doing a IDE reinstall, but did not say what he really did..

    Did the ide reinstall, made no difference, that chap was very vague though
    about the solution, maybe he only thought this is what fixed it.
    Before I go any further with this can you please confirm that it is abnormal
    for winxp to say cd in the drive when you put a dvd into a dvdwriter, I'm
    new to xp so don't know exactly what to expect, someone suggested that winxp
    can't write to dvd's and this is why it shows as cd, is this true or what?

    > Do the Firmware update, as that can fix CD/DVD compatibility problems,
    > but it can also trash your
    > drive if things are not right, or you do not do it correctly, drive must
    > be Master on the Secondary
    > Port no other drive fitted and No cd/dvd in the drive..

    Yeah not too keen on doing firmware updates if the firmware update does not
    say it fixes this problem, I found no such update on the lg website so I
    wonder where this a106 version comes from.

    rising, Mar 28, 2007
  11. rising

    Mathew Good Guest

    On Wed, 28 Mar 2007 15:45:22 +1200, "rising" <rising@sun> wrote:

    >"Mathew Good" <> wrote in message
    >> On Wed, 28 Mar 2007 15:08:32 +1200, "rising" <rising@sun> wrote:
    >>

    >>>"Mathew Good" <> wrote in message

    >>>Thanks but did you understand that the drive shows as a dvddrive until I
    >>>put
    >>>a dvd in and then it reads it and says cd in cd drive?
    >>>The firmware is A104, am I to understand that you are using the same
    >>>dvddrive as me?
    >>>

    >> No been reading some Forums and found out about the Firmware, plus a chap
    >> had a Similar problem he
    >> fixed it by doing a IDE reinstall, but did not say what he really did..
    >>

    >Did the ide reinstall, made no difference, that chap was very vague though
    >about the solution, maybe he only thought this is what fixed it.
    >Before I go any further with this can you please confirm that it is abnormal
    >for winxp to say cd in the drive when you put a dvd into a dvdwriter, I'm
    >new to xp so don't know exactly what to expect, someone suggested that winxp
    >can't write to dvd's and this is why it shows as cd, is this true or what?

    Turn off the XP CD Software..

    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/setup/learnmore/bott_03september16.mspx

    Also this will disable it completely

    you can disable IMAPI burning service, which will disable xp's cd wrecking software.

    Control Panel/Admin Tools/Services L click, then R click Properties, on the IMAPI CD-Burning
    thing, Select Stop then change Automatic to Disabled, Them Apply then OK, then a Reboot..

    >> Do the Firmware update, as that can fix CD/DVD compatibility problems,
    >> but it can also trash your
    >> drive if things are not right, or you do not do it correctly, drive must
    >> be Master on the Secondary
    >> Port no other drive fitted and No cd/dvd in the drive..
    >>

    >Yeah not too keen on doing firmware updates if the firmware update does not
    >say it fixes this problem, I found no such update on the lg website so I
    >wonder where this a106 version comes from.

    All the Forums state that LG Web site is utter CRAP..

    This looks like a LG Site with the firmware A106

    http://lgodd.lge.com/fwdrv/DVD-WRITER/GSA4163A106.exe

    Firmware updates like this Fix CD/DVD Compatibility problems, as new CD/DVD's come out the Burner
    needs to know how to burn them..

    In my mind this is a MUST DO THING..

    http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?t=162041

    http://www.cdrinfo.com/forum/tm.asp?m=124318&mpage=1&

    Lots of Info here

    http://forum.cdfreaks.com/lite/f-91-p-23.html

    MS Info

    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=324129

    Mathew Good, Mar 28, 2007
  12. rising

    Stuart Guest

    "rising" <rising@sun> wrote in message news:...
    > cd's in my dvdwriter, if I go to erase one of my rewriteable dvd's in
    > windows explorer it only gives me the option to erase a cdrw and it
    > therefore does not work.

    Windows XP doesn't have native DVD burning support. You'll need to use the
    tool that came with your drive, like Nero.

    Stuart

    Stuart, Mar 28, 2007
  13. rising

    rising Guest

    "Stuart" <> wrote in message

    > "rising" <rising@sun> wrote in message news:...
    >> cd's in my dvdwriter, if I go to erase one of my rewriteable dvd's in
    >> windows explorer it only gives me the option to erase a cdrw and it
    >> therefore does not work.

    > Windows XP doesn't have native DVD burning support. You'll need to use the
    > tool that came with your drive, like Nero.
    >
    > Stuart

    Thanks but should dvd's be shown as cd in windows explorer, seems very dumb
    if they do, i understand the burning issue but surely when you put a dvd in
    the drive windows explorer should say dvd, not cd.

    rising, Mar 28, 2007
  14. rising

    > On Wed, 28 Mar 2007 15:45:22 +1200, "rising" <rising@sun> wrote:
    >

    >>"Mathew Good" <> wrote in message

    >>> No been reading some Forums and found out about the Firmware, plus a
    >>> chap
    >>> had a Similar problem he
    >>> fixed it by doing a IDE reinstall, but did not say what he really did..
    >>>

    >>Did the ide reinstall, made no difference, that chap was very vague though
    >>about the solution, maybe he only thought this is what fixed it.
    >>Before I go any further with this can you please confirm that it is
    >>abnormal
    >>for winxp to say cd in the drive when you put a dvd into a dvdwriter, I'm
    >>new to xp so don't know exactly what to expect, someone suggested that
    >>winxp
    >>can't write to dvd's and this is why it shows as cd, is this true or what?

    > Turn off the XP CD Software..
    >
    > http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/setup/learnmore/bott_03september16.mspx
    >

    > Also this will disable it completely
    >

    > you can disable IMAPI burning service, which will disable xp's cd wrecking
    > software.
    >

    > Control Panel/Admin Tools/Services L click, then R click Properties, on
    > the IMAPI CD-Burning
    > thing, Select Stop then change Automatic to Disabled, Them Apply then OK,
    > then a Reboot..

    Had tried that except did not reboot so will try again with reboot this
    time.

    >>> Do the Firmware update, as that can fix CD/DVD compatibility problems,
    >>> but it can also trash your
    >>> drive if things are not right, or you do not do it correctly, drive must
    >>> be Master on the Secondary
    >>> Port no other drive fitted and No cd/dvd in the drive..
    >>>

    >>Yeah not too keen on doing firmware updates if the firmware update does
    >>not
    >>say it fixes this problem, I found no such update on the lg website so I
    >>wonder where this a106 version comes from.
    >>

    > All the Forums state that LG Web site is utter CRAP..
    >
    > This looks like a LG Site with the firmware A106
    >
    > http://lgodd.lge.com/fwdrv/DVD-WRITER/GSA4163A106.exe
    >
    > Firmware updates like this Fix CD/DVD Compatibility problems, as new
    > CD/DVD's come out the Burner
    > needs to know how to burn them..
    >
    > In my mind this is a MUST DO THING..

    Thanks but remember I had no problems under windows98se on my old computer
    using the same drive and dvd's.

    rising, Mar 28, 2007
  15. rising

    rising Guest

    > Turn off the XP CD Software..
    >
    > http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/setup/learnmore/bott_03september16.mspx
    >

    > Also this will disable it completely
    >

    > you can disable IMAPI burning service, which will disable xp's cd wrecking
    > software.
    >

    > Control Panel/Admin Tools/Services L click, then R click Properties, on
    > the IMAPI CD-Burning
    > thing, Select Stop then change Automatic to Disabled, Them Apply then OK,
    > then a Reboot..

    Actually it is already set to manual and does not start when you insert a
    disc or goto windows explorer so this can't be the problem.

    rising, Mar 28, 2007
  16. rising

    Mathew Good Guest

    On Wed, 28 Mar 2007 20:49:01 +1200, "rising" <rising@sun> wrote:

    >> Turn off the XP CD Software..
    >>
    >> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/setup/learnmore/bott_03september16.mspx
    >>

    >> Also this will disable it completely
    >>

    >> you can disable IMAPI burning service, which will disable xp's cd wrecking
    >> software.
    >>

    >> Control Panel/Admin Tools/Services L click, then R click Properties, on
    >> the IMAPI CD-Burning
    >> thing, Select Stop then change Automatic to Disabled, Them Apply then OK,
    >> then a Reboot..
    >>

    >Actually it is already set to manual and does not start when you insert a
    >disc or goto windows explorer so this can't be the problem.

    Has to be Disabled..

    Mathew Good, Mar 28, 2007
  17. rising

    > On Wed, 28 Mar 2007 20:49:01 +1200, "rising" <rising@sun> wrote:
    >

    >>> Turn off the XP CD Software..
    >>>
    >>> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/setup/learnmore/bott_03september16.mspx
    >>>

    >>> Also this will disable it completely
    >>>

    >>> you can disable IMAPI burning service, which will disable xp's cd
    >>> wrecking
    >>> software.
    >>>

    >>> Control Panel/Admin Tools/Services L click, then R click Properties,
    >>> on
    >>> the IMAPI CD-Burning
    >>> thing, Select Stop then change Automatic to Disabled, Them Apply then
    >>> OK,
    >>> then a Reboot..
    >>>

    >>Actually it is already set to manual and does not start when you insert a
    >>disc or goto windows explorer so this can't be the problem.
    >>

    > Has to be Disabled..

    Ok, even though this makes no logical sense to me I tried it anyway and sure
    enough, no difference, remember the service was never running to begin so
    how can it make a difference to disable it, I'm sure it would have enabled
    had I used winxp to write to the dvd but as ytou know the problem I have is
    more basic than this.

    rising, Mar 28, 2007
  18. rising

    Mathew Good Guest

    On Wed, 28 Mar 2007 20:49:01 +1200, "rising" <rising@sun> wrote:

    >> Turn off the XP CD Software..
    >>
    >> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/setup/learnmore/bott_03september16.mspx
    >>

    >> Also this will disable it completely
    >>

    >> you can disable IMAPI burning service, which will disable xp's cd wrecking
    >> software.
    >>

    >> Control Panel/Admin Tools/Services L click, then R click Properties, on
    >> the IMAPI CD-Burning
    >> thing, Select Stop then change Automatic to Disabled, Them Apply then OK,
    >> then a Reboot..
    >>

    >Actually it is already set to manual and does not start when you insert a
    >disc or goto windows explorer so this can't be the problem.

    Did you do a Clean Install of XP, or a Update..?

    Mathew Good, Mar 28, 2007
  19. rising

    GraB Guest

    On Wed, 28 Mar 2007 11:24:05 +1200, "rising" <rising@sun> wrote:

    >"rising" <rising@sun> wrote in message news:...
    >>I have got a weird problem where windows xp keeps recognizing my dvd's as
    >> cd's in my dvdwriter, if I go to erase one of my rewriteable dvd's in
    >> windows explorer it only gives me the option to erase a cdrw and it
    >> therefore does not work. The biggest problem I am having though is it
    >> taking
    >> a really long time to access a rewriteable dvd when I first put it in the
    >> drive and one disc is never recognized because the accessing attempts seem
    >> to time out before it manages to access it. This dvdwriter was working
    >> fine
    >> when it was in my old win98 machine but in this newly built machine with
    >> winxp I am having this problem and I can't figure out why, is it a
    >> software
    >> problem or some sort of hardware incompatibility problem, I would think it
    >> would be software. Anyhow the dvdwriter is a lg4163b, there are no
    >> firmware
    >> updates available for it, it is running on the secondary ide channel as a
    >> master and there is nothing on the primary ide not that that should make
    >> any
    >> difference, my harddrive is sata. Also i have nero installed but not incd.
    >> Winxp is using ntfs. Any type of dvd comes up as a cd in windowsexplorer
    >> although only some rewriteables are having trouble with accessing so it's
    >> all rather confusing because it looks like hardware in some ways but I
    >> need to eliminate the software problems before I consider if there is any
    >> hardware trouble. Googling has not been of any help so would really
    >> appreciate some ideas on this problem.
    >>

    >Does anyone know of an easy way to boot to another os that does not require
    >a floppy drive or the use of the harddrive, I could borrow a usbdrive and
    >install live linux to it so I can boot to linux, I have no experience with
    >linux but hopefully it would be easy enough to just put a dvd into the drive
    >and see if it has the same trouble reading as it does under winxp.

    http://www.pendrivelinux.com/2007/01/01/usb-knoppix-510

    Might be worth a look.

    This looks interesting too, much more useful than a Live CD:

    GraB, Mar 28, 2007
  20. rising

    > On Wed, 28 Mar 2007 20:49:01 +1200, "rising" <rising@sun> wrote:
    >

    >>> Turn off the XP CD Software..
    >>>
    >>> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/setup/learnmore/bott_03september16.mspx
    >>>

    >>> Also this will disable it completely
    >>>

    >>> you can disable IMAPI burning service, which will disable xp's cd
    >>> wrecking
    >>> software.
    >>>

    >>> Control Panel/Admin Tools/Services L click, then R click Properties,
    >>> on
    >>> the IMAPI CD-Burning
    >>> thing, Select Stop then change Automatic to Disabled, Them Apply then
    >>> OK,
    >>> then a Reboot..
    >>>

    >>Actually it is already set to manual and does not start when you insert a
    >>disc or goto windows explorer so this can't be the problem.
    >>

    > Did you do a Clean Install of XP, or a Update..?

    Clean.

    rising, Mar 28, 2007