DVD Writter,

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Krazy BoB, Oct 12, 2004.

  1. Krazy BoB

    Krazy BoB Guest

    Hi there good people of nz comp.

    I come here in search for answers, I would like to know what is a good dvd
    writer to get, i've been searching for over a week and my mind boggles at
    the number of dvd writers out there from $99 up to $599.

    I've been told through friends pioneer is good brand but they have different
    models out I don't know which one to get, also been told lite-on is good
    also but still same as pioneer.

    I'm looking to copy/back up my dvd collection I've bought / received over
    the times and write it on to a new disk incase of scratches and what not's.

    I know dual layer is better than single layer because your able to increase
    the size of the disk capacity.

    The thought of picking a dvd writer finding out that its a dud makes me
    think twice,
    If any one could lend me their opinion's it would be mostly greatly
    appreciated

    Cheers
    Krazy BoB

    Krazy BoB, Oct 12, 2004

  2. Krazy BoB

    Starkey Guest

    On Tue, 12 Oct 2004 22:40:27 +1300, "Krazy BoB" <@.com> wrote:

    >Hi there good people of nz comp.
    >
    >I come here in search for answers, I would like to know what is a good dvd
    >writer to get, i've been searching for over a week and my mind boggles at
    >the number of dvd writers out there from $99 up to $599.
    >
    >I've been told through friends pioneer is good brand but they have different
    >models out I don't know which one to get, also been told lite-on is good
    >also but still same as pioneer.
    >
    >I'm looking to copy/back up my dvd collection I've bought / received over
    >the times and write it on to a new disk incase of scratches and what not's.
    >
    >I know dual layer is better than single layer because your able to increase
    >the size of the disk capacity.
    >
    >The thought of picking a dvd writer finding out that its a dud makes me
    >think twice,
    >If any one could lend me their opinion's it would be mostly greatly
    >appreciated
    >
    >Cheers
    >Krazy BoB

    yeah im in the same boat im holding off buying a 16X dvd drive i want
    to see what other people think of dvdwriters atm

    Starkey, Oct 12, 2004

  3. Krazy BoB

    Rick Ward Guest

    check this months PC User mag for some good reviews, including being able to
    flash the firmware of a relatively cheap liteon model to convert it from
    single to double layer.

    I've got a sony DRU 700A and can't fault it...

    Rick Ward, Oct 12, 2004
  4. Krazy BoB

    cowboyz Guest

    > Hi there good people of nz comp.
    >
    > I come here in search for answers, I would like to know what is a good dvd
    > writer to get, i've been searching for over a week and my mind boggles at
    > the number of dvd writers out there from $99 up to $599.
    >
    > I've been told through friends pioneer is good brand but they have

    different
    > models out I don't know which one to get, also been told lite-on is good
    > also but still same as pioneer.
    >
    > I'm looking to copy/back up my dvd collection I've bought / received over
    > the times and write it on to a new disk incase of scratches and what

    not's.

    > I know dual layer is better than single layer because your able to

    increase
    > the size of the disk capacity.
    >
    > The thought of picking a dvd writer finding out that its a dud makes me
    > think twice,
    > If any one could lend me their opinion's it would be mostly greatly
    > appreciated
    >
    > Cheers
    > Krazy BoB

    I had a Ricoh which was awesome. Loved it. Brought a LG because I gave my
    Ricoh to a friend and I just happened to be passing a shop which had one in
    the window. I have a spongebob DVD which I have been trying to backup for
    ages and it kept failing on the read due to all the scratches. This was my
    test DVD for the LG and it passed with flying colours. Very good and
    reading dodgy discs. Dual layer is all good if you want it but I figured by
    the time the media becomes affordable I will be looking at changing the
    writer anyway so I'll do the dual layer thing next time round.

    cowboyz, Oct 12, 2004
  5. Krazy BoB

    Hmmm Guest

    cowboyz wrote:
    > "Krazy BoB" <@.com> wrote in message
    >
    >>Hi there good people of nz comp.
    >>
    >>I come here in search for answers, I would like to know what is a good dvd
    >>writer to get, i've been searching for over a week and my mind boggles at
    >>the number of dvd writers out there from $99 up to $599.
    >>
    >>I've been told through friends pioneer is good brand but they have

    > different
    >
    >>models out I don't know which one to get, also been told lite-on is good
    >>also but still same as pioneer.
    >>
    >>I'm looking to copy/back up my dvd collection I've bought / received over
    >>the times and write it on to a new disk incase of scratches and what

    > not's.
    >
    >>I know dual layer is better than single layer because your able to

    > increase
    >
    >>the size of the disk capacity.
    >>
    >>The thought of picking a dvd writer finding out that its a dud makes me
    >>think twice,
    >>If any one could lend me their opinion's it would be mostly greatly
    >>appreciated
    >>
    >>Cheers
    >>Krazy BoB
    >>

    > I had a Ricoh which was awesome. Loved it. Brought a LG because I gave my
    > Ricoh to a friend and I just happened to be passing a shop which had one in
    > the window. I have a spongebob DVD which I have been trying to backup for
    > ages and it kept failing on the read due to all the scratches. This was my
    > test DVD for the LG and it passed with flying colours. Very good and
    > reading dodgy discs. Dual layer is all good if you want it but I figured by
    > the time the media becomes affordable I will be looking at changing the
    > writer anyway so I'll do the dual layer thing next time round.

    http://www.cdrinfo.com has a huge roundup of reviews on the writers.
    LG is their recommended choice
    Liteon have apparently suffered with their dual layer burners with
    compatibility with standalone players, but that maybe just a firmware
    problem that will be remedied.
    Pioneer are also great burners

    As Dual layer burners are now at the 200 dollar mark, and there are some
    in nz at 160-170 dollars, id defiantely get dual layer even if you do
    have to wait a bit for the media to get to reasonable levels :)

    Hmmm, Oct 12, 2004
  6. Krazy BoB

    Geronimo! Guest

    On Wed, 13 Oct 2004 07:26:47 +1300, "Rick Ward" <> wrote:

    >check this months PC User mag for some good reviews, including being able to
    >flash the firmware of a relatively cheap liteon model to convert it from
    >single to double layer.
    >
    >I've got a sony DRU 700A and can't fault it...

    Yes Made by LiteOn..

    Geronimo!, Oct 12, 2004
  7. Krazy BoB

    Krazy BoB Guest

    "Hmmm" <> wrote in message news:416c38d0_4@127.0.0.1...
    > cowboyz wrote:
    >> "Krazy BoB" <@.com> wrote in message
    >>
    >>>Hi there good people of nz comp.
    >>>
    >>>I come here in search for answers, I would like to know what is a good
    >>>dvd
    >>>writer to get, i've been searching for over a week and my mind boggles at
    >>>the number of dvd writers out there from $99 up to $599.
    >>>
    >>>I've been told through friends pioneer is good brand but they have

    >> different
    >>
    >>>models out I don't know which one to get, also been told lite-on is good
    >>>also but still same as pioneer.
    >>>
    >>>I'm looking to copy/back up my dvd collection I've bought / received over
    >>>the times and write it on to a new disk incase of scratches and what

    >> not's.
    >>
    >>>I know dual layer is better than single layer because your able to

    >> increase
    >>
    >>>the size of the disk capacity.
    >>>
    >>>The thought of picking a dvd writer finding out that its a dud makes me
    >>>think twice,
    >>>If any one could lend me their opinion's it would be mostly greatly
    >>>appreciated
    >>>
    >>>Cheers
    >>>Krazy BoB
    >>>

    >> I had a Ricoh which was awesome. Loved it. Brought a LG because I gave
    >> my
    >> Ricoh to a friend and I just happened to be passing a shop which had one
    >> in
    >> the window. I have a spongebob DVD which I have been trying to backup
    >> for
    >> ages and it kept failing on the read due to all the scratches. This was
    >> my
    >> test DVD for the LG and it passed with flying colours. Very good and
    >> reading dodgy discs. Dual layer is all good if you want it but I figured
    >> by
    >> the time the media becomes affordable I will be looking at changing the
    >> writer anyway so I'll do the dual layer thing next time round.
    >>

    > http://www.cdrinfo.com has a huge roundup of reviews on the writers.
    > LG is their recommended choice
    > Liteon have apparently suffered with their dual layer burners with
    > compatibility with standalone players, but that maybe just a firmware
    > problem that will be remedied.
    > Pioneer are also great burners
    >
    > As Dual layer burners are now at the 200 dollar mark, and there are some
    > in nz at 160-170 dollars, id defiantely get dual layer even if you do have
    > to wait a bit for the media to get to reasonable levels :)

    Cheers for that people, i've searched through pricespy.co.nz for prices for
    dvd writers.
    I think i'll either get a pioneer, LG or a Lite-on, so thats narrowed it
    down. But which model now is the question :-s

    Krazy BoB, Oct 12, 2004
  8. Krazy BoB

    John Potter Guest

    On Tue, 12 Oct 2004 22:40:27 +1300, "Krazy BoB" <@.com> wrote:

    >Hi there good people of nz comp.

    snip

    >I'm looking to copy/back up my dvd collection I've bought / received over
    >the times and write it on to a new disk incase of scratches and what not's.

    My writer (Toshiba in laptop w/Nero) won't copy DVDs if they're
    copyright or out of zone. Is that normal anyone?

    John

    John Potter, Oct 14, 2004
  9. Krazy BoB

    Geronimo! Guest

    On Thu, 14 Oct 2004 15:55:26 +1200, John Potter <> wrote:

    >On Tue, 12 Oct 2004 22:40:27 +1300, "Krazy BoB" <@.com> wrote:
    >
    >>Hi there good people of nz comp.
    >>

    >snip
    >
    >>I'm looking to copy/back up my dvd collection I've bought / received over
    >>the times and write it on to a new disk incase of scratches and what not's.

    >My writer (Toshiba in laptop w/Nero) won't copy DVDs if they're
    >copyright or out of zone. Is that normal anyone?
    >
    >John

    Might with the right software.

    Geronimo!, Oct 14, 2004
  10. Krazy BoB

    Ray Colvill Guest

    I am stoked with my purchase

    Brought a single layer Liteon ide 851 model

    Using the PC mag instructions upgraded it to a SOHW 832
    dual layer and it works.

    This software may be of interest "DVD REGION + CSS FREE"

    http://mail.spaminspector.com

    Ray Colvill, Oct 14, 2004
  11. Krazy BoB

    Collector_NZ Guest

    John Potter said the following on 14/10/2004 16:55:
    > On Tue, 12 Oct 2004 22:40:27 +1300, "Krazy BoB" <@.com> wrote:
    >

    >>Hi there good people of nz comp.
    >>

    > snip
    >

    >>I'm looking to copy/back up my dvd collection I've bought / received over
    >>the times and write it on to a new disk incase of scratches and what not's.

    > My writer (Toshiba in laptop w/Nero) won't copy DVDs if they're
    > copyright or out of zone. Is that normal anyone?
    >
    > John

    Yep it will do the job, now we really are not supposed to tell this but
    you need two neat bits of software. Google will find the sites for you.

    1. Slysofy Any DVD (Not totally necessary but good anyway)
    2. DVDShrink (Allows you to deprotect edit features and menus out and
    shrink to 4.7Gb if required.)
    3. And as an extra get DVD Decrypter. (Will read protected roms to your
    hard drive and write DVDShrink files to DVD for you)

    Now with that lot most commercial DVDs including those bigger than 4.7Gb
    will surrender to your desire to copy^H^H^H^HBack them up.

    Collector_NZ, Oct 14, 2004
  12. Krazy BoB

    Geronimo! Guest

    On Thu, 14 Oct 2004 19:01:40 +1300, Collector_NZ <>
    wrote:

    >John Potter said the following on 14/10/2004 16:55:
    >> On Tue, 12 Oct 2004 22:40:27 +1300, "Krazy BoB" <@.com> wrote:
    >>

    >>>Hi there good people of nz comp.
    >>>

    >> snip
    >>

    >>>I'm looking to copy/back up my dvd collection I've bought / received over
    >>>the times and write it on to a new disk incase of scratches and what not's.

    >> My writer (Toshiba in laptop w/Nero) won't copy DVDs if they're
    >> copyright or out of zone. Is that normal anyone?
    >>
    >> John

    >Yep it will do the job, now we really are not supposed to tell this but
    >you need two neat bits of software. Google will find the sites for you.
    >
    >1. Slysofy Any DVD (Not totally necessary but good anyway)
    >2. DVDShrink (Allows you to deprotect edit features and menus out and
    >shrink to 4.7Gb if required.)
    >3. And as an extra get DVD Decrypter. (Will read protected roms to your
    >hard drive and write DVDShrink files to DVD for you)
    >
    >Now with that lot most commercial DVDs including those bigger than 4.7Gb
    > will surrender to your desire to copy^H^H^H^HBack them up.

    Not that easy any more, New DVD's have now Bad Sectors..

    Geronimo!, Oct 14, 2004
  13. Krazy BoB

    Collector_NZ Guest

    Geronimo! said the following on 14/10/2004 20:49:
    > On Thu, 14 Oct 2004 19:01:40 +1300, Collector_NZ <>
    > wrote:
    >

    >>John Potter said the following on 14/10/2004 16:55:

    >>>snip

    >>>My writer (Toshiba in laptop w/Nero) won't copy DVDs if they're
    >>>copyright or out of zone. Is that normal anyone?
    >>>
    >>>John

    >>Yep it will do the job, now we really are not supposed to tell this but
    >>you need two neat bits of software. Google will find the sites for you.
    >>
    >>1. Slysofy Any DVD (Not totally necessary but good anyway)
    >>2. DVDShrink (Allows you to deprotect edit features and menus out and
    >>shrink to 4.7Gb if required.)
    >>3. And as an extra get DVD Decrypter. (Will read protected roms to your
    >>hard drive and write DVDShrink files to DVD for you)
    >>
    >>Now with that lot most commercial DVDs including those bigger than 4.7Gb
    >> will surrender to your desire to copy^H^H^H^HBack them up.

    > Not that easy any more, New DVD's have now Bad Sectors..

    Havnt found any yet myself are you sure

    Collector_NZ, Oct 14, 2004
  14. Krazy BoB

    cowboyz Guest

    Collector_NZ wrote:
    > Geronimo! said the following on 14/10/2004 20:49:
    >> On Thu, 14 Oct 2004 19:01:40 +1300, Collector_NZ
    >> <> wrote:

    >>> Yep it will do the job, now we really are not supposed to tell this
    >>> but you need two neat bits of software. Google will find the sites
    >>> for you.
    >>>
    >>> 1. Slysofy Any DVD (Not totally necessary but good anyway)
    >>> 2. DVDShrink (Allows you to deprotect edit features and menus out
    >>> and shrink to 4.7Gb if required.)
    >>> 3. And as an extra get DVD Decrypter. (Will read protected roms to
    >>> your hard drive and write DVDShrink files to DVD for you)
    >>>
    >>> Now with that lot most commercial DVDs including those bigger than
    >>> 4.7Gb will surrender to your desire to copy^H^H^H^HBack them up.

    >> Not that easy any more, New DVD's have now Bad Sectors..
    >>

    > Havnt found any yet myself are you sure

    Of course he is sure. That doesn't make him right.

    Just because some newer DVDs are being released with copy protection this
    means every DVD ever made has this protection magically transposed onto it.
    Even the ones that have already been brought.

    cowboyz, Oct 14, 2004
  15. Krazy BoB

    Geronimo! Guest

    On Thu, 14 Oct 2004 20:53:19 +1300, Collector_NZ <>
    wrote:

    >Geronimo! said the following on 14/10/2004 20:49:
    >> On Thu, 14 Oct 2004 19:01:40 +1300, Collector_NZ <>
    >> wrote:

    >>>Yep it will do the job, now we really are not supposed to tell this but
    >>>you need two neat bits of software. Google will find the sites for you.
    >>>
    >>>1. Slysofy Any DVD (Not totally necessary but good anyway)
    >>>2. DVDShrink (Allows you to deprotect edit features and menus out and
    >>>shrink to 4.7Gb if required.)
    >>>3. And as an extra get DVD Decrypter. (Will read protected roms to your
    >>>hard drive and write DVDShrink files to DVD for you)
    >>>
    >>>Now with that lot most commercial DVDs including those bigger than 4.7Gb
    >>> will surrender to your desire to copy^H^H^H^HBack them up.

    >> Not that easy any more, New DVD's have now Bad Sectors..
    >>

    >Havnt found any yet myself are you sure

    Yes some references to copy software that can handle it..

    Its a sort of addon to Clone DVD..

    As Clone DVD can't copy Commercial DVD's

    Geronimo!, Oct 14, 2004
  16. Krazy BoB

    cowboyz Guest

    Geronimo! wrote:
    > On Thu, 14 Oct 2004 20:53:19 +1300, Collector_NZ
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> Geronimo! said the following on 14/10/2004 20:49:

    >>> Not that easy any more, New DVD's have now Bad Sectors..
    >>>

    >> Havnt found any yet myself are you sure

    > Yes some references to copy software that can handle it..
    >
    > Its a sort of addon to Clone DVD..
    >
    > As Clone DVD can't copy Commercial DVD's

    Never did like cloneDVD. Something funny about it. DVDShrink, DVDlab and
    Nero are the only programs I use and they do just fine.

    cowboyz, Oct 14, 2004
  17. Krazy BoB

    geoffm Guest

    wrote:

    >My writer (Toshiba in laptop w/Nero) won't copy DVDs if they're
    >copyright or out of zone. Is that normal anyone?

    You need AnyDVD, which bypasses the copyright check (and other
    things). A mighty fine program.
    I use CloneDVD to copy DVDs and reduce dual layer (9gb) disks to fit
    standard DVDs (4.7GB), although if you have AnyDVD running, you can
    copy with Nero, as long as the 2 disks are the same size
    Have a look at http://www.freewebtown.com/sefy for how-to guides. Any
    questions, let me know, sa he is currently living across the
    hallway...
    Geoff

    geoffm, Oct 14, 2004
  18. Krazy BoB

    geoffm Guest

    On Thu, 14 Oct 2004 20:49:08 +1300, Geronimo!
    <> wrote:

    >Not that easy any more, New DVD's have now Bad Sectors..

    And AnyDVD has released a new version that handles it. Came out a
    couple of weeks ago or more.
    Geoff

    geoffm, Oct 14, 2004
  19. Krazy BoB

    John Potter Guest

    Thanks for all that you guys. When I got the laptop I thought I'd do
    a copy just for, you know, scientific purposes. When it didn't work I
    told a restaurant owner I know who does some less scientific copying.
    He gave me a funny look and said ... you just copy the disk with the
    software it came with... I think his kids had fixed it for him.

    John

    John Potter, Oct 15, 2004