    reasonable price.

    thanks

    will.

    will, May 20, 2004

  2. will

    TmcT Guest

    The latest LiteOn DVDR/W available here should be 812s (before 832s arrives
    which is a DL burner).

    (The first D9 DVD+R from Mitsubishi going to be on the market this month,
    ~NZ$2x
    http://www.cdrinfo.com/Sections/News/Details.asp?RelatedID=5466)

    I would recommend the Pioneer A07/107 rather than LiteOn at this time.
    Base on numbers of review online, A07/107 seem to have better compatibility
    with "unbranded" DVDR.

    More Reading:

    LiteOn 812S
    http://www.cdrinfo.com/Sections/Articles/Specific.asp?ArticleHeadline=LiteOn
    +SOWH%2D812S&Series=0
    Pioneer A07/107
    http://www.cdrinfo.com/Sections/Articles/Specific.asp?ArticleHeadline=Pionee
    r+DVR%2D107D&Series=0
    Lite-On launches 8x Dual DL and 12x Dual DVD burners
    http://www.cdrinfo.com/Sections/News/Details.asp?RelatedID=5491

    TmcT, May 20, 2004

  3. On Thu, 20 May 2004 15:39:19 +1200, "TmcT" <>
    wrote:

    >The latest LiteOn DVDR/W available here should be 812s (before 832s arrives
    >which is a DL burner).
    >
    >(The first D9 DVD+R from Mitsubishi going to be on the market this month,
    >~NZ$2x
    >http://www.cdrinfo.com/Sections/News/Details.asp?RelatedID=5466)
    >
    >I would recommend the Pioneer A07/107 rather than LiteOn at this time.
    >Base on numbers of review online, A07/107 seem to have better compatibility
    >with "unbranded" DVDR.
    >

    >More Reading:
    >
    >LiteOn 812S
    >http://www.cdrinfo.com/Sections/Articles/Specific.asp?ArticleHeadline=LiteOn
    >+SOWH%2D812S&Series=0
    >Pioneer A07/107
    >http://www.cdrinfo.com/Sections/Articles/Specific.asp?ArticleHeadline=Pionee
    >r+DVR%2D107D&Series=0
    >Lite-On launches 8x Dual DL and 12x Dual DVD burners
    >http://www.cdrinfo.com/Sections/News/Details.asp?RelatedID=5491

    I had horrible problems with a LiteOn 4x drive - it simply would not
    burn a full DVD-R on either of my PCs under two different operating
    systems. It was OK on +R and +RW and some -RW media, but not on any -R
    I tried. Finally I sent it back and paid a little bit extra for an
    OEM Pioneer 107, and it has given me no trouble at all burning
    anything I have tried with it, including the very inexpensive Laser 4x
    DVD-Rs I found on http://www.ascent.co.nz.

    The only thing I can find that is wrong with the Pioneer 107 is that
    it only has a single colour activity LED, so you can not tell whether
    it is burning or reading. I recommend it, and I definintely do *not*
    recommend getting a LiteOn.

    BTW I have not tried the Pioneer on 8x media yet, but I expect it will
    work fine.

    Stephen Worthington, May 20, 2004
  4. I
    >waiting for DoubleLayer is out of question as i need one very soon at
    >reasonable price.

    LG's do DVDRAM. Is this double layer??

    Steve Robertson, May 20, 2004
  5. will

    TmcT Guest

    Have you try to burn those 4x DVDR at 8x?
    (assume the software allow you to do so)

    TmcT, May 20, 2004
  6. On Thu, 20 May 2004 06:55:24 GMT, (Steve Robertson) wrote:

    >>waiting for DoubleLayer is out of question as i need one very soon at
    >>reasonable price.
    >>

    >LG's do DVDRAM. Is this double layer??

    Does not support cartridges..

    You have to get a Panasonic drive for that..

    The GHOST of WOGER., May 20, 2004
  7. On Thu, 20 May 2004 13:59:56 +1200, will <> wrote:

    >hi,
    >
    >i'm about to get a dvd writer, at the moment i'm set on LiteOn 851 @
    >$200. is it a reliable brand, and is there anything else here
    >http://www.pricespy.co.nz/cat_9.html#g119 worth considering?
    >
    >waiting for DoubleLayer is out of question as i need one very soon at
    >reasonable price.
    >
    >thanks
    >
    >will.

    LiteOn is a Great Brand, with good support and useful Utils..

    The GHOST of WOGER., May 20, 2004
  8. On Thu, 20 May 2004 15:39:19 +1200, "TmcT" <> wrote:

    >The latest LiteOn DVDR/W available here should be 812s (before 832s arrives
    >which is a DL burner).
    >
    >(The first D9 DVD+R from Mitsubishi going to be on the market this month,
    >~NZ$2x
    >http://www.cdrinfo.com/Sections/News/Details.asp?RelatedID=5466)
    >
    >I would recommend the Pioneer A07/107 rather than LiteOn at this time.
    >Base on numbers of review online, A07/107 seem to have better compatibility
    >with "unbranded" DVDR.

    ALL Reviews on it state that its Utter CRAP..

    The GHOST of WOGER., May 20, 2004
  9. On Thu, 20 May 2004 18:19:55 +1200, Stephen Worthington <>
    wrote:

    >On Thu, 20 May 2004 15:39:19 +1200, "TmcT" <>
    >wrote:
    >
    >>The latest LiteOn DVDR/W available here should be 812s (before 832s arrives
    >>which is a DL burner).
    >>
    >>(The first D9 DVD+R from Mitsubishi going to be on the market this month,
    >>~NZ$2x
    >>http://www.cdrinfo.com/Sections/News/Details.asp?RelatedID=5466)
    >>
    >>I would recommend the Pioneer A07/107 rather than LiteOn at this time.
    >>Base on numbers of review online, A07/107 seem to have better compatibility
    >>with "unbranded" DVDR.
    >>

    >>More Reading:
    >>
    >>LiteOn 812S
    >>http://www.cdrinfo.com/Sections/Articles/Specific.asp?ArticleHeadline=LiteOn
    >>+SOWH%2D812S&Series=0
    >>Pioneer A07/107
    >>http://www.cdrinfo.com/Sections/Articles/Specific.asp?ArticleHeadline=Pionee
    >>r+DVR%2D107D&Series=0
    >>Lite-On launches 8x Dual DL and 12x Dual DVD burners
    >>http://www.cdrinfo.com/Sections/News/Details.asp?RelatedID=5491

    >I had horrible problems with a LiteOn 4x drive - it simply would not
    >burn a full DVD-R on either of my PCs under two different operating
    >systems. It was OK on +R and +RW and some -RW media, but not on any -R

    Did you update the Fimeware...?

    As it get updated All the time..

    >I tried. Finally I sent it back and paid a little bit extra for an
    >OEM Pioneer 107, and it has given me no trouble at all burning
    >anything I have tried with it, including the very inexpensive Laser 4x
    >DVD-Rs I found on http://www.ascent.co.nz.
    >
    >The only thing I can find that is wrong with the Pioneer 107 is that
    >it only has a single colour activity LED, so you can not tell whether
    >it is burning or reading. I recommend it, and I definintely do *not*
    >recommend getting a LiteOn.

    All the Review states that its a Crap Drive..

    The GHOST of WOGER., May 20, 2004
  10. In article <>,
    says...
    > On Thu, 20 May 2004 15:39:19 +1200, "TmcT" <> wrote:
    >
    > >The latest LiteOn DVDR/W available here should be 812s (before 832s arrives
    > >which is a DL burner).
    > >
    > >(The first D9 DVD+R from Mitsubishi going to be on the market this month,
    > >~NZ$2x
    > >http://www.cdrinfo.com/Sections/News/Details.asp?RelatedID=5466)
    > >
    > >I would recommend the Pioneer A07/107 rather than LiteOn at this time.
    > >Base on numbers of review online, A07/107 seem to have better compatibility
    > >with "unbranded" DVDR.

    > ALL Reviews on it state that its Utter CRAP..

    Has anyone written a review apart from you?

    Patrick Dunford, May 20, 2004
  11. On Thu, 20 May 2004 22:12:26 +1200, Patrick Dunford
    <> wrote:

    >In article <>,
    > says...
    >> On Thu, 20 May 2004 15:39:19 +1200, "TmcT" <> wrote:
    >>
    >> >The latest LiteOn DVDR/W available here should be 812s (before 832s arrives
    >> >which is a DL burner).
    >> >
    >> >(The first D9 DVD+R from Mitsubishi going to be on the market this month,
    >> >~NZ$2x
    >> >http://www.cdrinfo.com/Sections/News/Details.asp?RelatedID=5466)
    >> >
    >> >I would recommend the Pioneer A07/107 rather than LiteOn at this time.
    >> >Base on numbers of review online, A07/107 seem to have better compatibility
    >> >with "unbranded" DVDR.

    >> ALL Reviews on it state that its Utter CRAP..

    >Has anyone written a review apart from you?

    Just go an find out..

    The GHOST of WOGER., May 20, 2004
  12. will

    BB Guest

    I've upped my firmware, and NO the lazer discs don't burn at 8x, but they
    are fine at 4x

    BB
    NZ

    BB, May 20, 2004
  13. will

    A Guest

    On Thu, 20 May 2004 23:32:31 +1200, "BB" <> wrote:

    >I've upped my firmware, and NO the lazer discs don't burn at 8x, but they
    >are fine at 4x
    >
    >BB
    >NZ

    Are you talking about a Liteon or Pioneer drive? (it was hard to tell
    from the previous quotes).

    I have a Liteon 451s wihch I've upgraded the firmware so it is now a
    851s (no real point as there's no 8x media around anyway - a bit like
    overclocking your CPU by 2%).

    Anyway DVD decrpyter will only rip a DVD at around 2.3x speed. I
    thought it should be ripping much faster (its a 12x DVDROM)

    I thought it may be my hard drvie throttling the speed but discinfopro
    also reports a read speed of 2.3x

    Anybody have an idea what the problem is?

    A, May 20, 2004
  14. will

    GraB Guest

    On Thu, 20 May 2004 20:12:22 GMT, (A) wrote:

    >On Thu, 20 May 2004 23:32:31 +1200, "BB" <> wrote:
    >
    >>I've upped my firmware, and NO the lazer discs don't burn at 8x, but they
    >>are fine at 4x
    >>
    >>BB
    >>NZ

    >Are you talking about a Liteon or Pioneer drive? (it was hard to tell
    >from the previous quotes).
    >
    >I have a Liteon 451s wihch I've upgraded the firmware so it is now a
    >851s (no real point as there's no 8x media around anyway - a bit like
    >overclocking your CPU by 2%).
    >
    >Anyway DVD decrpyter will only rip a DVD at around 2.3x speed. I
    >thought it should be ripping much faster (its a 12x DVDROM)
    >
    >I thought it may be my hard drvie throttling the speed but discinfopro
    >also reports a read speed of 2.3x
    >
    >Anybody have an idea what the problem is?

    Is it the same for all DVDs? DMA turned on? Even my old Asus E612
    (12x) is much faster than that. Though a poor condition disc will
    slow it right down.

    GraB, May 21, 2004
  15. will

    C_Lyon Guest

    "will" <> wrote in message
    > hi,
    >
    > i'm about to get a dvd writer, at the moment i'm set on LiteOn 851 @
    > $200. is it a reliable brand, and is there anything else here
    > http://www.pricespy.co.nz/cat_9.html#g119 worth considering?
    >
    > waiting for DoubleLayer is out of question as i need one very soon at
    > reasonable price.
    >
    > thanks
    >
    > will.

    My Sony DRU-510A has done me right since I bought it over a year ago.
    A friend has an LG 8 times, not sure what model.
    Seen it do a dvd in about half the time it takes mine.
    I see the Liteon 851 is 8 times as well.
    It's cheaper than the Sony DRU-510A, and that's only 4 times.

    C_Lyon, May 21, 2004

  16. >My Sony DRU-510A has done me right since I bought it over a year ago.

    Overall Sony are THE MOST RELAIBLE ive seen in 5 years (used to sell them as
    well as others)
    But Sony have stopped making CDr's , probhably stopped making DVDrw as well(?)
    LG have aa 2 year warranty, most other only have 1 year.
    2 years warranty is a good bying point

    Steve Robertson, May 21, 2004
  17. will

    A Guest

    On Fri, 21 May 2004 13:28:00 +1200, GraB <> wrote:

    >On Thu, 20 May 2004 20:12:22 GMT, (A) wrote:
    >>I have a Liteon 451s wihch I've upgraded the firmware so it is now a
    >>851s (no real point as there's no 8x media around anyway - a bit like
    >>overclocking your CPU by 2%).
    >>
    >>Anyway DVD decrpyter will only rip a DVD at around 2.3x speed. I
    >>thought it should be ripping much faster (its a 12x DVDROM)
    >>
    >>I thought it may be my hard drvie throttling the speed but discinfopro
    >>also reports a read speed of 2.3x
    >>
    >>Anybody have an idea what the problem is?
    >>

    >Is it the same for all DVDs? DMA turned on? Even my old Asus E612
    >(12x) is much faster than that. Though a poor condition disc will
    >slow it right down.

    Yep - its the same with all DVD's. The drive doesn't support DMA only
    PIO.

    I burned a DVD this afternoon with Nero and it was reading off the
    hard drive at 1.5 to 2.5x speed - not nearly fast enough to keep 4x
    burning. If its reading that slow then it must surely be writing
    slower in which case I think the hard drives the prob (although it
    doesn't explain the slow speed reported by DVDinfopro)

    A, May 21, 2004
  18. will

    colinco Guest

    In article <>, says...
    > I have a Liteon 451s wihch I've upgraded the firmware so it is now a
    > 851s (no real point as there's no 8x media around anyway - a bit like
    > overclocking your CPU by 2%).
    >
    > Anyway DVD decrpyter will only rip a DVD at around 2.3x speed. I
    > thought it should be ripping much faster (its a 12x DVDROM)
    >
    > I thought it may be my hard drvie throttling the speed but discinfopro
    > also reports a read speed of 2.3x
    >
    > Anybody have an idea what the problem is?

    The ripping police have limited new dvd drives to 2x rip speed. There
    are read hacked firmwares about.

    colinco, May 21, 2004
  19. will

    GraB Guest

    On Fri, 21 May 2004 06:00:10 GMT, (A) wrote:

    >On Fri, 21 May 2004 13:28:00 +1200, GraB <> wrote:
    >
    >>On Thu, 20 May 2004 20:12:22 GMT, (A) wrote:
    >>>I have a Liteon 451s wihch I've upgraded the firmware so it is now a
    >>>851s (no real point as there's no 8x media around anyway - a bit like
    >>>overclocking your CPU by 2%).
    >>>
    >>>Anyway DVD decrpyter will only rip a DVD at around 2.3x speed. I
    >>>thought it should be ripping much faster (its a 12x DVDROM)
    >>>
    >>>I thought it may be my hard drvie throttling the speed but discinfopro
    >>>also reports a read speed of 2.3x
    >>>
    >>>Anybody have an idea what the problem is?
    >>>

    >>Is it the same for all DVDs? DMA turned on? Even my old Asus E612
    >>(12x) is much faster than that. Though a poor condition disc will
    >>slow it right down.

    >Yep - its the same with all DVD's. The drive doesn't support DMA only
    >PIO.
    >
    >I burned a DVD this afternoon with Nero and it was reading off the
    >hard drive at 1.5 to 2.5x speed - not nearly fast enough to keep 4x
    >burning. If its reading that slow then it must surely be writing
    >slower in which case I think the hard drives the prob (although it
    >doesn't explain the slow speed reported by DVDinfopro)

    Check this:
    http://www.liteonit.com.tw/ODD/English/e_product/e_ldw451s.asp

    Supported transfer mode: PIO mode 4, DMA mode 2 and Ultra DMA mode 2

    UDMA mode 2 is Ultra DMA 33. If it is not turned on that is your
    trouble. Check in Control Panel / System / Device Manager and check
    the properties for your drive. There should be an check box for DMA.

    GraB, May 21, 2004
  20. On Fri, 21 May 2004 19:50:19 +1200, GraB <> wrote:

    >On Fri, 21 May 2004 06:00:10 GMT, (A) wrote:

    >>>Is it the same for all DVDs? DMA turned on? Even my old Asus E612
    >>>(12x) is much faster than that. Though a poor condition disc will
    >>>slow it right down.

    >>Yep - its the same with all DVD's. The drive doesn't support DMA only
    >>PIO.
    >>
    >>I burned a DVD this afternoon with Nero and it was reading off the
    >>hard drive at 1.5 to 2.5x speed - not nearly fast enough to keep 4x
    >>burning. If its reading that slow then it must surely be writing
    >>slower in which case I think the hard drives the prob (although it
    >>doesn't explain the slow speed reported by DVDinfopro)
    >>

    >Check this:
    >http://www.liteonit.com.tw/ODD/English/e_product/e_ldw451s.asp
    >
    >Supported transfer mode: PIO mode 4, DMA mode 2 and Ultra DMA mode 2
    >
    >UDMA mode 2 is Ultra DMA 33. If it is not turned on that is your
    >trouble. Check in Control Panel / System / Device Manager and check
    >the properties for your drive. There should be an check box for DMA.

    XP has a small Bug, if it gets 6 read errors it turns DMA off, but the patch
    fixes this.

    "After the Windows IDE/ATAPI Port driver (Atapi.sys) receives a cumulative
    total of six time-out or cyclical redundancy check (CRC) errors, the driver
    reduces the communications speed (the transfer mode) from the highest Direct
    Memory Access (DMA) mode to lower DMA modes in steps. If the driver continues
    to receive time-out or CRC errors, the driver eventually reduces the transfer
    mode to the slowest mode (PIO mode). "

    http://support.microsoft.com/?id=817472

    Get the patch here

    http://www.mcse.ms/archive41-2004-2-413616.html