    Thanks.
    --
    ~misfit~
    ~misfit~, Oct 20, 2005

  2. ~misfit~

    Krazy Bob Guest

    "~misfit~" <> wrote in message
    news:4356f80b$...
    > Ok, I know we did this a while ago but things change quickly in the PC
    > hardware world.
    >
    > I'm soliciting reccomendations on what DVD writer to buy.
    >
    > Last time we did this I decided on the LG, then had to spend the money
    > elsewhere. :-(
    >
    > That particular model isn't around now, GSA-4167BB seems to be the
    > currently available one. I can get a Lite-On SOHW-9613S more cheaply and
    > have always liked Lite-On CD-ROM/CD writers but I know nothing about the
    > DVD writing side of things.
    >
    > Suggestions/opinions please. Preferably from personal experience.
    >
    > Thanks.
    > --
    > ~misfit~

    hey shaun, i have i the LG GSA 4160B, does dual layer, and also writes in
    dvd-ram, one of the best purchases ive ever made.

    Krazy Bob, Oct 20, 2005

  3. ~misfit~

    Bruce Hoult Guest

    In article <4356f80b$>,
    "~misfit~" <> wrote:

    > I'm soliciting reccomendations on what DVD writer to buy.

    Pioneer or ASUS.

    --
    Bruce | 41.1670S | \ spoken | -+-
    Bruce Hoult, Oct 20, 2005
  4. ~misfit~

    Andrew Guest

    ~misfit~ wrote:
    > Ok, I know we did this a while ago but things change quickly in the PC
    > hardware world.
    >
    > I'm soliciting reccomendations on what DVD writer to buy.
    >
    > Last time we did this I decided on the LG, then had to spend the money
    > elsewhere. :-(
    >
    > That particular model isn't around now, GSA-4167BB seems to be the currently
    > available one. I can get a Lite-On SOHW-9613S more cheaply and have always
    > liked Lite-On CD-ROM/CD writers but I know nothing about the DVD writing
    > side of things.
    >
    > Suggestions/opinions please. Preferably from personal experience.
    >
    > Thanks.

    I have a benq 1640 - its great :)
    Andrew, Oct 20, 2005
  5. ~misfit~

    Dave Nelson Guest

    Based on my own experience NEC are very good - I've thrown two other brands
    in the rubbish (Gigabyte & Diamond Data).

    Dave Nelson, Oct 20, 2005
  6. ~misfit~

    Guest

    I have a Pioneer 107 and 108 and they're both great, although when I
    was looking at getting another one, I saw some mixed reviews of the
    109. Anybody else got one of these yet?
    , Oct 20, 2005
  7. ~misfit~

    Dumbkiwi Guest

    On Thu, 20 Oct 2005 15:22:21 +1300, Bruce Hoult wrote:

    > In article <4356f80b$>,
    > "~misfit~" <> wrote:
    >
    >> I'm soliciting reccomendations on what DVD writer to buy.

    > Pioneer or ASUS.

    I have a pioneer writer that is fantastic.

    I have an asus reader that stopped reading after two months of occasional
    use.
    Dumbkiwi, Oct 20, 2005
  8. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    ~misfit~ wrote:

    > Suggestions/opinions please. Preferably from personal experience.

    This is great folks, thanks. Anyone else wanna offer up their experience?
    I'm not rich and really don't want to make a purchase I'll regret.

    Thanks,
    --
    ~misfit~
    ~misfit~, Oct 20, 2005
  9. ~misfit~ wrote:
    > ~misfit~ wrote:
    >>Suggestions/opinions please. Preferably from personal experience.

    > This is great folks, thanks. Anyone else wanna offer up their experience?
    > I'm not rich and really don't want to make a purchase I'll regret.

    The software bundled with the device is important ... can't stand that Sonic stuff.
    Mark Robinson, Oct 20, 2005
  10. ~misfit~

    GraB Guest

    On Thu, 20 Oct 2005 20:28:30 +1300, Mark Robinson
    <2tod.net> wrote:

    >~misfit~ wrote:
    >> ~misfit~ wrote:
    >>>Suggestions/opinions please. Preferably from personal experience.

    >> This is great folks, thanks. Anyone else wanna offer up their experience?
    >> I'm not rich and really don't want to make a purchase I'll regret.

    >The software bundled with the device is important ... can't stand that Sonic stuff.

    ditto
    GraB, Oct 20, 2005
  11. ~misfit~

    Daver Guest

    If you want full DVD Ram support you can't go past LG. The GSA-4167BB can be
    had for around $90

    Daver, Oct 20, 2005
  12. ~misfit~

    Guest

    Speaking of software, if you want to copy DVD's then download DVD
    Shrink. It's free and one of the best pieces of software I've come
    across.
    , Oct 20, 2005
  13. ~misfit~

    XP Guest

    On Thu, 20 Oct 2005 21:30:41 +1300, "Daver" <> wrote:

    >If you want full DVD Ram support you can't go past LG. The GSA-4167BB can be
    >had for around $90

    If you want FULL DVD-RAM backup do not get a LG as it only supports single
    sided and No cartridge...

    XP, Oct 20, 2005
  14. ~misfit~

    Brendan Guest

    On Thu, 20 Oct 2005 20:19:37 +1300, ~misfit~ wrote:

    > This is great folks, thanks. Anyone else wanna offer up their experience?
    > I'm not rich and really don't want to make a purchase I'll regret.

    I got the LG 4163b and it goes fine. Seems to do good quality burns, and
    has hacked firmware (something you would want too - gets around region
    locking, etc).

    They could update the official firmware more often though. But it works
    fine with dvd media purchased at the warehouse, etc. Does -r and +r (and
    RW). Does book type (bitsetting) which improves things for copying DVD
    movies.

    Guess there is a newer model out now though. Read the reviews at cd freaks
    etc.

    --

    .... Brendan

    #2999 +(3714)- [X]

    <kyourek> There was a 23% drop in temperature.
    <nappyjallapy> That's almost 25%!
    <kyourek> ... That was one of the most worthless comments I've ever heard.

    Note: All my comments are copyright 20/10/2005 8:26:34 p.m. and are opinion only where not otherwise stated and always "to the best of my recollection". www.computerman.orcon.net.nz.
    Brendan, Oct 20, 2005
  15. ~misfit~

    Krazy Bob Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > Speaking of software, if you want to copy DVD's then download DVD
    > Shrink. It's free and one of the best pieces of software I've come
    > across.

    i use any dvd with clone dvd2 works a treat :)
    Krazy Bob, Oct 20, 2005
  16. In article <4356f80b$>,
    says...
    > Ok, I know we did this a while ago but things change quickly in the PC
    > hardware world.
    >
    > I'm soliciting reccomendations on what DVD writer to buy.
    >
    > Last time we did this I decided on the LG, then had to spend the money
    > elsewhere. :-(
    >
    > That particular model isn't around now, GSA-4167BB seems to be the currently
    > available one. I can get a Lite-On SOHW-9613S more cheaply and have always
    > liked Lite-On CD-ROM/CD writers but I know nothing about the DVD writing
    > side of things.
    >
    > Suggestions/opinions please. Preferably from personal experience.
    >
    > Thanks.

    I've a Pioneer dvr108 - it's a great writer, really is. Fan-bloody-
    tastic, yet to burn a coaster (skc, tdk, mitsi,verbatim and imation
    media) it's very fast to boot. Also had no problems with it reading data
    disks, but I find it's a bit flakey reading dvd movies with errors. I've
    heard it has problems with games that use Starforce protection (but
    then, nobody in their right mind would allow THAT on their machine - I
    will boycot all such; people in the comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.* hierarchy
    have begun compiling a blacklist) because the Starforce screws with
    software at the driver level.

    For watching movies I got a LiteOn dvd reader, it just soldiers on
    reading errors where the Pioneer gives up. Not that that helps watching
    realtime(waiting two minutes for the next frame), but I can get it to
    decrypt [bad] dvds to hdd and then watch them from there.

    Then again, I seem to recall a thread here recently of somebody being
    less than enthralled by the writing capabilities of their LiteOn writer.

    -Peter

    Peter Huebner, Oct 20, 2005
  17. ~misfit~

    Rob J Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > In article <4356f80b$>,
    > says...
    > > Ok, I know we did this a while ago but things change quickly in the PC
    > > hardware world.
    > >
    > > I'm soliciting reccomendations on what DVD writer to buy.
    > >
    > > Last time we did this I decided on the LG, then had to spend the money
    > > elsewhere. :-(
    > >
    > > That particular model isn't around now, GSA-4167BB seems to be the currently
    > > available one. I can get a Lite-On SOHW-9613S more cheaply and have always
    > > liked Lite-On CD-ROM/CD writers but I know nothing about the DVD writing
    > > side of things.
    > >
    > > Suggestions/opinions please. Preferably from personal experience.
    > >
    > > Thanks.
    > >

    > I've a Pioneer dvr108 - it's a great writer, really is. Fan-bloody-
    > tastic, yet to burn a coaster (skc, tdk, mitsi,verbatim and imation
    > media) it's very fast to boot. Also had no problems with it reading data
    > disks, but I find it's a bit flakey reading dvd movies with errors. I've
    > heard it has problems with games that use Starforce protection (but
    > then, nobody in their right mind would allow THAT on their machine - I
    > will boycot all such; people in the comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.* hierarchy
    > have begun compiling a blacklist) because the Starforce screws with
    > software at the driver level.
    >
    > For watching movies I got a LiteOn dvd reader, it just soldiers on
    > reading errors where the Pioneer gives up. Not that that helps watching
    > realtime(waiting two minutes for the next frame), but I can get it to
    > decrypt [bad] dvds to hdd and then watch them from there.
    >
    > Then again, I seem to recall a thread here recently of somebody being
    > less than enthralled by the writing capabilities of their LiteOn writer.

    We have Sonys, they are made by Liteon. I had no problems with them -
    DRU720A.
    Rob J, Oct 21, 2005
  18. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    ~misfit~ wrote:
    > ~misfit~ wrote:
    >
    >> Suggestions/opinions please. Preferably from personal experience.

    > This is great folks, thanks. Anyone else wanna offer up their
    > experience? I'm not rich and really don't want to make a purchase
    > I'll regret.

    Thanks again to the very generous members of this group. So, it looks like
    Pioneer or LG with a maybe against Asus, Sony/LiteOn, NEC and Benq. Avoid
    Gigabyte and Diamond Data. Check reviews about the Pioneer 109 and avoid
    Sonic software and download DVDShrink.

    Thanks heaps folks, much appreciated.
    --
    ~misfit~
    ~misfit~, Oct 21, 2005
  19. T'was the Thu, 20 Oct 2005 20:19:37 +1300 when I remembered "~misfit~"
    <> saying something like this:

    >> Suggestions/opinions please. Preferably from personal experience.

    >This is great folks, thanks. Anyone else wanna offer up their experience?
    >I'm not rich and really don't want to make a purchase I'll regret.

    The Samsung TS-H552U is pretty good, they're $99 from
    http://www.pp.co.nz/ProductsH.php?pp_id=DW00099. I think DVD writers
    are at the point where the performance difference between the brands
    is a bit like the performance difference between vegemite and marmite.
    No matter what you get, odds are it'll work fine for you:)

    And it's nice to back up 4GB worth of data on one disc.
    --
    Cheers,

    Waylon Kenning.
    Waylon Kenning, Oct 21, 2005
  20. ~misfit~

    Andrew Guest

    Waylon Kenning wrote:
    > T'was the Thu, 20 Oct 2005 20:19:37 +1300 when I remembered "~misfit~"
    > <> saying something like this:
    >
    >>> Suggestions/opinions please. Preferably from personal experience.

    >> This is great folks, thanks. Anyone else wanna offer up their experience?
    >> I'm not rich and really don't want to make a purchase I'll regret.

    > The Samsung TS-H552U is pretty good, they're $99 from
    > http://www.pp.co.nz/ProductsH.php?pp_id=DW00099. I think DVD writers
    > are at the point where the performance difference between the brands
    > is a bit like the performance difference between vegemite and marmite.
    > No matter what you get, odds are it'll work fine for you:)
    >
    > And it's nice to back up 4GB worth of data on one disc.
    > --
    > Cheers,
    >
    > Waylon Kenning.

    I had one of these.. found it terrible, it produced alot of errors on
    the same spindle of media that i use with my benq which is wonderful
    Andrew, Oct 21, 2005