DVD Writers - advice?

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Peter S, Dec 27, 2003.

  1. Peter S

    Peter S Guest

    Well, my CD burner has gone on the blink, the price has dropped, and I have
    the contents of a DV Camera to write so it looks like the time has come to
    spend some money on a DVD Burner.

    Can anyone recommend any of the cheaper models?. Given my experience with CD
    Burners criteria are :

    - Is dual mode - I think DVD +/- R/RW is what I am looking for.
    - Must be able to handle the commonly available media on the NZ market. (Big
    want)
    - Must produce media that can be read by bog standard DVD Players.
    - Able to run things like DVDXCopy.

    I haven't had a deep look around, but the XH6832 on the front page of the
    Dick Smith (DSE) catalog caught my eye. What is this a rebadged version of?

    Any help, especially from owners of such burners is welcome and very much
    appreciated.

    Ta,
    Pete.

    Peter S, Dec 27, 2003

  2. Peter S

    E. Scrooge Guest

    "Peter S" <> wrote in message
    > Well, my CD burner has gone on the blink, the price has dropped, and I

    have
    > the contents of a DV Camera to write so it looks like the time has come to
    > spend some money on a DVD Burner.
    >
    > Can anyone recommend any of the cheaper models?. Given my experience with

    CD
    > Burners criteria are :
    >
    > - Is dual mode - I think DVD +/- R/RW is what I am looking for.
    > - Must be able to handle the commonly available media on the NZ market.

    (Big
    > want)
    > - Must produce media that can be read by bog standard DVD Players.
    > - Able to run things like DVDXCopy.
    >
    > I haven't had a deep look around, but the XH6832 on the front page of the
    > Dick Smith (DSE) catalog caught my eye. What is this a rebadged version

    of?

    > Any help, especially from owners of such burners is welcome and very much
    > appreciated.
    >
    > Ta,
    > Pete.

    When it come to rewrite-able CDs and DVDs. I wonder how many people bother
    using them, and just how reliable they are when reused compared the low cost
    of CDRs etc. A DVDRW disc must be an expensive bugger. The prices should
    be closer.
    If disc prices take a big drop, then it could be worthwhile having a DVDRW
    drive.
    It's a bit odd that the speed of them is starting off slow at 4X like CD
    writers did. They must be able to jump in at 24X at the least if they
    wanted to.
    If you want to wait a bit they'll be faster.

    E. Scrooge

    E. Scrooge, Dec 27, 2003

  3. Peter S

    Tim Guest

    "E. Scrooge" < (remove eye)> wrote in
    > It's a bit odd that the speed of them is starting off slow at 4X like
    > CD writers did. They must be able to jump in at 24X at the least if
    > they wanted to.
    > If you want to wait a bit they'll be faster.
    >
    > E. Scrooge

    The reason they are starting off "slow" is quite simple - 1x for a DVD is
    much faster than 1x for a CD. A DVDR holds ~4.7GB, and takes ~15 minutes
    to burn at 4x - not terribly slow ;)
    8x drives are out/coming out soon, but I wouldn't expect them to get too
    much faster as eventually they will be spinning at a rate high enough to
    make the DVD's explode.

    As for models to recommend - after asking around and reading reviews I have
    settled on the Pioneer 106/A06. It seems to have good media compatibility
    (unlike the Liteon). NB: I haven't bought one yet, but I will within a
    week or two.

    --
    Tim
    - <insert witty signature here>

    Tim, Dec 27, 2003

  4. >I haven't had a deep look around, but the XH6832 on the front page of the
    >Dick Smith (DSE) catalog caught my eye. What is this a rebadged version of?

    DSE are too expensive.
    If in Ak get a Trade & Exchange & check prices.
    Some DVD RW have a 2 year guarentee: a good bonus.

    Steve Robertson, Dec 28, 2003
  5. Peter S

    C Guest

    On Sun, 28 Dec 2003 11:26:08 +1300, "Peter S"
    <> wrote:

    >Well, my CD burner has gone on the blink, the price has dropped, and I have
    >the contents of a DV Camera to write so it looks like the time has come to
    >spend some money on a DVD Burner.
    >
    >Can anyone recommend any of the cheaper models?. Given my experience with CD
    >Burners criteria are :
    >
    >- Is dual mode - I think DVD +/- R/RW is what I am looking for.
    >- Must be able to handle the commonly available media on the NZ market. (Big
    >want)
    >- Must produce media that can be read by bog standard DVD Players.
    >- Able to run things like DVDXCopy.
    >
    >I haven't had a deep look around, but the XH6832 on the front page of the
    >Dick Smith (DSE) catalog caught my eye. What is this a rebadged version of?
    >
    >Any help, especially from owners of such burners is welcome and very much
    >appreciated.
    >
    >Ta,
    >Pete.

    I think the DSE dual format burner is a rebadged NEC from memory.

    Harvey Norman's have the MSI dual format burner for $299. This also
    supports HD Burn (1.4GB on a CD-R) and rates a 9.5 out of 10 in the
    current Atomic magazine in the shops.

    While I've seen it slightly cheaper elsewhere (around $280-$290)
    that's still not a bad price if you're paying by credit card and want
    a "cash & carry" purchase.

    C, Dec 28, 2003
  6. Peter S

    Paul Gunson Guest

    E. Scrooge wrote:
    > When it come to rewrite-able CDs and DVDs. I wonder how many people bother
    > using them, and just how reliable they are when reused compared the low cost
    > of CDRs etc. A DVDRW disc must be an expensive bugger. The prices should
    > be closer.
    > If disc prices take a big drop, then it could be worthwhile having a DVDRW
    > drive.

    i recently bought the Sony-DRU510A, really really useful :) i'm a 3D
    animator and backup huge amounts of data, DVD-R princos are great for
    archiving and only 2 bucks a DVD. DVD+RW is admitedly more expensive at
    about $9-10 per disk, a 5 pack of those and i've got a re-writeable
    backup of all system and project files, i just found it way too much
    hassle and time consuming doing the same on like 7 times as many
    CD-RWs.... plus my CD burner died so it was a good excuse :)

    yeah i'm not sure why DVD speeds are measured differently but 4X burn is
    about 5.5MB/sec.

    Paul Gunson, Dec 28, 2003
  7. Peter S

    Dumdedo Guest

    wrote:

    >ell, my CD burner has gone on the blink, the price has dropped, and I have
    >the contents of a DV Camera to write so it looks like the time has come to
    >spend some money on a DVD Burner.
    >
    >Can anyone recommend any of the cheaper models?. Given my experience with CD
    >Burners criteria are :
    >
    >- Is dual mode - I think DVD +/- R/RW is what I am looking for.
    >- Must be able to handle the commonly available media on the NZ market. (Big
    >want)
    >- Must produce media that can be read by bog standard DVD Players.
    >- Able to run things like DVDXCopy.
    >
    >I haven't had a deep look around, but the XH6832 on the front page of the
    >Dick Smith (DSE) catalog caught my eye. What is this a rebadged version of?
    >
    >Any help, especially from owners of such burners is welcome and very much
    >appreciated.
    >
    >Ta,
    >Pete.

    Is this a Old NEC model..?

    DSE has a habit of selling end of line models at reduced prices..

    This chap had problems with one, a ND1300

    http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/54649

    There is also a ND1300A model..

    Plus here is some thing of interest..

    http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/8780

    Do some research into the NEC ND1300..

    Dumdedo, Dec 28, 2003
  8. Peter S

    Dumdedo Guest

    wrote:

    >Well, my CD burner has gone on the blink, the price has dropped, and I have
    >the contents of a DV Camera to write so it looks like the time has come to
    >spend some money on a DVD Burner.
    >
    >Can anyone recommend any of the cheaper models?. Given my experience with CD
    >Burners criteria are :
    >
    >- Is dual mode - I think DVD +/- R/RW is what I am looking for.
    >- Must be able to handle the commonly available media on the NZ market. (Big
    >want)
    >- Must produce media that can be read by bog standard DVD Players.
    >- Able to run things like DVDXCopy.
    >
    >I haven't had a deep look around, but the XH6832 on the front page of the
    >Dick Smith (DSE) catalog caught my eye. What is this a rebadged version of?
    >
    >Any help, especially from owners of such burners is welcome and very much
    >appreciated.
    >
    >Ta,
    >Pete.

    As usual DSE price is way to high

    PP price is $280..

    It seems that Disk compatibility seems to be a problem with this drive or is
    it the Crap Athon Systems..

    http://neoseeker.pricegrabber.com/r...d=841488/id_type=masterid/ut=cb6102f285fe738e

    Dumdedo, Dec 28, 2003
  9. In article <Xns945F82CE2B13Enewsgroupsnetdaemonc@210.48.22.5>, Tim <> wrote:
    >"E. Scrooge" < (remove eye)> wrote in
    >> It's a bit odd that the speed of them is starting off slow at 4X like
    >> CD writers did. They must be able to jump in at 24X at the least if
    >> they wanted to.
    >> If you want to wait a bit they'll be faster.

    1x for a CD is the speed that an audio CD plays at
    1x for a DVD is the speed a movie DVD plays at
    DVD 1x= cd 4x or 5X approx.

    above 50x (CD) they can & do fly apart in the drive
    Sony 50x read are limited to 40x & must be reset if you want 50X

    Steve Robertson, Dec 28, 2003
  10. On Sun, 28 Dec 2003 11:26:08 +1300, Peter S wrote:

    > Can anyone recommend any of the cheaper models?. Given my experience with CD
    > Burners criteria are :

    Not a cheaper model, but I've had really good results with the NEC 1300
    series.

    The first one we got was +rw only ($800), but current models are +-RW and
    about $300

    Uncle StoatWarbler, Dec 28, 2003
  11. On Sun, 28 Dec 2003 12:00:10 +1300, E. Scrooge wrote:

    > When it come to rewrite-able CDs and DVDs. I wonder how many people bother
    > using them, and just how reliable they are when reused compared the low cost
    > of CDRs etc. A DVDRW disc must be an expensive bugger.

    about $2 if you buy 25up.

    Uncle StoatWarbler, Dec 28, 2003
  12. On Sun, 28 Dec 2003 12:50:20 +1300, Tim wrote:

    > The reason they are starting off "slow" is quite simple - 1x for a DVD is
    > much faster than 1x for a CD.

    DVD 1x == CD 7.5x

    It's the native read speed when playing audio or DVD movies.

    Uncle StoatWarbler, Dec 28, 2003
  13. Peter S

    C Guest

    On Sun, 28 Dec 2003 14:21:23 +1300, Dumdedo
    <> wrote:

    >On Sun, 28 Dec 2003 11:26:08 +1300, "Peter S" <>
    >wrote:
    >
    >>Well, my CD burner has gone on the blink, the price has dropped, and I have
    >>the contents of a DV Camera to write so it looks like the time has come to
    >>spend some money on a DVD Burner.
    >>
    >>Can anyone recommend any of the cheaper models?. Given my experience with CD
    >>Burners criteria are :
    >>
    >>- Is dual mode - I think DVD +/- R/RW is what I am looking for.
    >>- Must be able to handle the commonly available media on the NZ market. (Big
    >>want)
    >>- Must produce media that can be read by bog standard DVD Players.
    >>- Able to run things like DVDXCopy.
    >>
    >>I haven't had a deep look around, but the XH6832 on the front page of the
    >>Dick Smith (DSE) catalog caught my eye. What is this a rebadged version of?
    >>
    >>Any help, especially from owners of such burners is welcome and very much
    >>appreciated.
    >>
    >>Ta,
    >>Pete.
    >>

    >As usual DSE price is way to high
    >

    >PP price is $280..

    So $299 is way too high compared to $280? Some of their prices are
    high but I can't work out how you came to that conclusion in this
    instance.

    Plus add on the fact that:

    1) You can pay by credit card
    2) DSE has a good return policy if you're not happy with the goods
    3) They're in most major centres so I can go out and get one now and
    have it installed in half an hour (writing this on a Sunday afternoon)
    as opposed to waiting for PP to reopen next year.

    QMB have the NEC1300A for $268.88. That makes PP's price look "way to
    high".

    C, Dec 28, 2003
  14. Peter S

    Dumdedo Guest

    On Sun, 28 Dec 2003 02:02:20 GMT, (C) wrote:

    >On Sun, 28 Dec 2003 14:21:23 +1300, Dumdedo
    ><> wrote:
    >
    >>On Sun, 28 Dec 2003 11:26:08 +1300, "Peter S" <>
    >>wrote:
    >>
    >>>Well, my CD burner has gone on the blink, the price has dropped, and I have
    >>>the contents of a DV Camera to write so it looks like the time has come to
    >>>spend some money on a DVD Burner.
    >>>
    >>>Can anyone recommend any of the cheaper models?. Given my experience with CD
    >>>Burners criteria are :
    >>>
    >>>- Is dual mode - I think DVD +/- R/RW is what I am looking for.
    >>>- Must be able to handle the commonly available media on the NZ market. (Big
    >>>want)
    >>>- Must produce media that can be read by bog standard DVD Players.
    >>>- Able to run things like DVDXCopy.
    >>>
    >>>I haven't had a deep look around, but the XH6832 on the front page of the
    >>>Dick Smith (DSE) catalog caught my eye. What is this a rebadged version of?
    >>>
    >>>Any help, especially from owners of such burners is welcome and very much
    >>>appreciated.
    >>>
    >>>Ta,
    >>>Pete.
    >>>

    >>As usual DSE price is way to high
    >>

    >>PP price is $280..

    >So $299 is way too high compared to $280? Some of their prices are
    >high but I can't work out how you came to that conclusion in this
    >instance.
    >
    >Plus add on the fact that:
    >
    >1) You can pay by credit card
    >2) DSE has a good return policy if you're not happy with the goods
    >3) They're in most major centres so I can go out and get one now and
    >have it installed in half an hour (writing this on a Sunday afternoon)
    >as opposed to waiting for PP to reopen next year.
    >
    >QMB have the NEC1300A for $268.88. That makes PP's price look "way to
    >high".

    Is that with GST and Free delivery..?

    Dumdedo, Dec 28, 2003
  15. Peter S

    Lennier Guest

    On Sun, 28 Dec 2003 12:00:10 +1300, E. Scrooge wrote:

    > When it come to rewrite-able CDs and DVDs. I wonder how many people
    > bother using them

    When you're having to regularly transfer between two locations more data
    than what can easily be emailed over dialup and which is considerably
    more than what will fit on a floppy, and one does not need to keep that
    data on the CD because that data is only temporary, then CD-RW is the
    ideal choice.

    That is what we do...

    Lennier

    Lennier, Dec 28, 2003
  16. Peter S

    Lennier Guest

    On Sun, 28 Dec 2003 13:40:10 +1300, Paul Gunson wrote:

    > yeah i'm not sure why DVD speeds are measured differently but 4X burn is
    > about 5.5MB/sec.

    I thought that an average data transfer rate for playing a DVD was between
    4 & 6 mb/s at standard play.

    If so, then 5.5 mb is hardly "4 times" speed...

    What is considered the standard data transfer rate for DVD drives?

    Lennier

    Lennier, Dec 28, 2003
  17. Peter S

    Pete Guest

    have you ever dealt with QMB ?
    I went 2 months waiting for these pricks to replace a CPU after they declined to
    replace it because I had apparently overclocked it. WTF ?? the CPU was DOA and not
    overclocked at all.
    Deal with these clowns at your own risk - it aint worth the stress !
    I discovered afterwards theyve already been bankrupt once leaving some poor
    bastards high n dry.

    Pete, Dec 28, 2003

  18. >QMB have the NEC1300A for $268.88. That makes PP's price look "way to
    >high".

    Possibly. DVD + - are availble for less than $200 + gst. Dont know what brand though.

    Steve Robertson, Dec 28, 2003
  19. Peter S

    cowboyz Guest

    "Lennier" <> wrote in message
    > On Sun, 28 Dec 2003 13:40:10 +1300, Paul Gunson wrote:
    >
    > > yeah i'm not sure why DVD speeds are measured differently but 4X burn is
    > > about 5.5MB/sec.

    > I thought that an average data transfer rate for playing a DVD was between
    > 4 & 6 mb/s at standard play.
    >
    > If so, then 5.5 mb is hardly "4 times" speed...
    >
    > What is considered the standard data transfer rate for DVD drives?
    >
    > Lennier

    I got it at

    1x dvd = 1350k/s
    4x dvd = 5400 k/s

    1x cd = 150k/s
    36x cd = 5400k/s

    cowboyz, Dec 28, 2003
  20. Peter S

    C Guest

    On Sun, 28 Dec 2003 16:27:39 +1300, Dumdedo
    <> wrote:

    >On Sun, 28 Dec 2003 02:02:20 GMT, (C) wrote:
    >
    >>On Sun, 28 Dec 2003 14:21:23 +1300, Dumdedo
    >><> wrote:
    >>>As usual DSE price is way to high
    >>>

    >>>PP price is $280..

    >>So $299 is way too high compared to $280? Some of their prices are
    >>high but I can't work out how you came to that conclusion in this
    >>instance.
    >>
    >>Plus add on the fact that:
    >>
    >>1) You can pay by credit card
    >>2) DSE has a good return policy if you're not happy with the goods
    >>3) They're in most major centres so I can go out and get one now and
    >>have it installed in half an hour (writing this on a Sunday afternoon)
    >>as opposed to waiting for PP to reopen next year.
    >>
    >>QMB have the NEC1300A for $268.88. That makes PP's price look "way to
    >>high".
    >>

    >Is that with GST and Free delivery..?

    Yes it includes GST. Delivery is extra and would be around $5-$7 .
    I've purchased off PP, QMB, and DSE and haven't had a problem with any
    of them.

    IF I was buying a NEC 1300A then I would certainly consider the DSE as
    an option despite you saying their prices are "way to high" at $299
    compared to $280 (a whopping 7% extra - not bad for a full retail
    outfit). Can yo guarantee me that PP (and QMB for that matter) have
    them in stock to ship the same day? In fact if you wanted to buy one
    this week then you don't have a choice as DSE is the only outlet open
    of the three.

    C, Dec 28, 2003